2-12: "Better Angels" 2012.03.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

460 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

Someone dangerous may be loose near the farm; Rick, Shane, Daryl and Glenn keep the group safe.

Remember to keep it on topic. Don't discuss promos in this thread. Take speculation and general discussion to other threads. Try to keep the discussion in here about this episode as much as possible. Thanks.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

Well, they've been dropping hints all season, but we finally know what Jenner told Rick: They're all the walking dead.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Well they went and killed the only person that knew a damn thing about parenting. Poor Carl, who will raise him now?

Pinklotus56

Pinklotus56

Loyal Viewer

Did I miss Carl going back for the gun? Or saying he went back for the gun?

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

It's a good thing that once again Lori wasn't watching her son or maybe it wasn't because that gunshot was a dinner bell for those walkers. Chilling ending this episode.

Rick gave Carl the gun in the barn. When he went to look for his dad he took it with him.

Edited by JCScantling, Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

Luckedout

Luckedout

Video Archivist

Took them long enough to set up a walker clean-up patrol.
Andrea, Rick is trusting you over Shane as a cooler head and you rip him a new one. You basically said that he should babysit Shane, instead of the fact that Shane should grow up.

Shane was so sulky. "Daryl as wingman, be my guest." Daryl can't stand Shane and Shane wants to take a road trip with him? Yeah, that seems like a good idea. If Shane wasn't Shane, I would believe that he was turning over a new leaf and working as a team. Since he is Shane, I'd expect him to kill Randall and reason/threaten Daryl to follow his lead or pin the death on the mysteriously dissappeared redneck.

Carl went back for the gun?! Brave, dumb kid. Daryl's never seeing that gun again, though. Rick's speech was more about Carl stepping up and taking responsability, because it's taking its toll on him and he's close to a breakdown.

Lori admits she made a mess of things, then goes and absolves Shane from every mistake he's ever made. He's making hurt puppy dog eyes and he's taking it as gospel that he knows what's right all along. All or nothing, with those two. All or nothing. It made him nuttier. I don't blame Lori though, she was trying to make some peace.

Ouch, Randall's wrists. Why did it look like Shane was getting off on a power trip? If Randall really had escaped and Daryl had borded up the other exits (window), then how did Randall get out, unlock the door from the inside, then relock it? Shane used that panic to great effect.

Yeah, Shane. Randall looked like he was about to pass out and he got the better of big ol' you. Daryl got you in his sights. Randall revealed his group's last camp pretty quick. Was this really the first time anyone asked him? That was more than a week ago.

Even at the end, Randall had only said that it gets a bit crazy in his group, but Shane'll like there. That easy to forgive torture? Wonder if his group put him through something similar and Randall just expected it as a given. I find it sad how his life ended.

Wow, that ending. More powerful that I expected.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

EMTQueen

EMTQueen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

YES! Shane is finally dead! And they did it close to the comics, with Carl administering the headshot. Although, how did Rick not hear Zombie!Shane rolling up on him? It's not like he was quiet about it or anything.

And T-Dog had actual dialogue tonight!

Edited by EMTQueen, Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

So is it your insides being exposed to air? Large enough gash and you become a zombie? Which means it's in the air? But then, the hostage should've become one with his leg all cut up...

Rosiemom112629

Rosiemom112629

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

There was much to enjoy in this episode. T-Dog spoke more than one line, Randall was taken care of, and early-morning walker killing.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Rick was trying to convey a point to Carl about adult responsibility and such, but didn't it occur to Rick that Daryl might, you know, want his gun back? Geez.

It's funny that it seems to have been Lori's long-awaited heartfelt apology to Shane that doomed him, as he very shortly thereafter initiated his Randall plan.

Andrea's pitchfork kills in the opening scene were A+.

I loved how Daryl was instantly (and justifiably) skeptical as to Shane's story about Randall knocking him out.

Edited by Blue32, Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:05 PM.

Souvien

Souvien

Channel Surfer

Whoa, now THAT was an entartining episode! Gonna miss Shane.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:27 PM.
Topic

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

That was an awesome episode in it's own right, and a fantastic set-up for the season finale. Huge, earned events, wonderfully executed, and some actual human feeling throughout.

And they used the resolution of the Randall situation to further the zombie mythology, which was a really clever move. And the Shane/Rick thing is finally done. And Daryl and Glenn had scene together. And T-Dog had lines. Lots of great stuff tonight.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

I have to say I didn't see that coming and I'm rather disappointed in this episode it was so freaking heavy handed I could feel the Shane is dead, Shane is evil, Shane is insane anvils...my head hurts.

I will admit that the Shane in tonight's episode had to go but that wasn't the Shane I was watching. I know others disagree and that's fine but I can't help but feel that they wrote the character to server the plot, which I hate.

Oh and it seems highly improbably that Carl would have been able to shoot Shane without hitting Daddy Dearest from that angle. Unless I'm mistaken Rick was directly in his path.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

So is it your insides being exposed to air? Large enough gash and you become a zombie? Which means it's in the air? But then, the hostage should've become one with his leg all cut up...

They all have the virus. Once they die, they become walkers unless they get shot in the head.

john68

john68

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

So it's obvious now that no matter how you die, you become a zombie. Is that something we already knew or is this the first time we've seen it happen?

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Wrote this up as I watched the episode.

I hate myself for half-paying attention the first 15 minutes. I don't know how could write and watch at the same time!

YES! Shane is finally dead!

I really didn't think that was going to happen until the actual season finale, I just don't know what's going to happen next.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:07 PM

I don't understand why they continue to be surprised by walkers. Are they all deaf? The walkers are not exactly silent or stealth with all of the moaning, groaning, and grunting.

This episode was very good though, better than most of the season. And Daryl really does need to be leading the group; and he needs to get his gun back from Carl, who I could tolerate a lot more if he took off that damn hat.

Edited by ShellsandCheese, Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:09 PM.

MichaelaRae

MichaelaRae

Fanatic

Well played, show. Nice bookend to Dale - Shane's utter opposite - being killed at the end of the previous episode. And Shane had become a dumb, rabid zombie long before Rick stabbed him. He HAD to become one literally.

So you don't have to get bit to become a zombie. Even if there was a (teensy) margin of ambiguity with Randall's death, we watched Shane die bite-and-scratch free and come back.

That last long shot of all the zombies coming out of the woods while Rick and Carl stand with their backs to them, unaware? I actually whimpered out loud. Yikes.

djsunyc

djsunyc

Couch Potato

Ahhh - Thanks AimingforYoko!!!

Jaenelle

Jaenelle

Loyal Viewer

Dammit Sane, even in death you manage to screw the group over. And is Carl Houdini now? How the hell is this kid slipping away even after everyone went back to the house?

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Hey! Hershel made a callout to CDB!

So now we know that everyone who dies becomes a walker... I think. That was Randal Daryl and Glen encountered, right? Good way to reveal that with him and Shane, although I have no clue how Carl managed to follow them into the woods and why he didn't yell "Behind you!" to Rick.

Lillywhite

Lillywhite

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Why can't Daryl and Andrea team up and lead this group? Rick is TERRIBLE. Christ, the whole episode I wanted to punch him in the throat. I'm glad Andrea called him out on his stupidity (they are SO setting these two up to end up together, by the way. So obvious).

R.I.P. Shane, you crazy bitch.

Lori continues to be the best mother there is. How is it that Carl wanders off into the night and she doesn't even notice? What is wrong with this woman? And what was the point of her scene with Shane?

"I'mma take a piss." LOL Daryl, I love you.

However, I'm sick of Carol weeping and crying every time she's on screen.

The scene with Glenn and Andrea in the RV was beautiful. It made me cry. If you're gonna do dialogue scenes, this is how you should do it, not have Lori rambling and repeating the same thing over and over.

Shane is crazy, but he's right. Rick is a terrible father. And he's also right that he's a better father to Carl than Rick. Poor Carl, with those two knuckleheads as parents, he hasn't got much luck.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

So where did all those walkers come? Are they the remains of Randal's camp?

john68

john68

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

Well, they've been dropping hints all season, but we finally know what Jenner told Rick: They're all the walking dead.

If true, why would rick turn his back to Shane before shooting him in the head so he didn't turn?

Edited by john68, Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:12 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Who was that black guy with a few lines? I don't recall seeing him before. </SARCASM>

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

The open question though is why does a bite (or scratch?) kill you? I suppose it's some kind of additional infection. That said, it doesn't change much to know you're already infected; you still don't want a walker to bite or scratch you.

I have no clue how Carl managed to follow them into the woods

They were within viewing distance of the house. Which -- that was Shane's plan? Why drag Rick all over the woods only to shoot him close to the house? Just do it in the woods.

Edited by jcin617, Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

If true, why would rick turn his back to Shane knowing that he would turn?

Shock and wondering how the hell Carl got there?

chiefsalsa

chiefsalsa

Just Tuned In

It makes no sense that everyone who dies becomes a zombie. We saw mant carcasses of dead people in s1. Even the "shoot them in the head" theory falls flat.

I loved Shane. He lived in reality. The way they wrote him, he was going to die.

Carl wets the bed. I hate that kid.

Great ep. They FINALLY get off the damn farm next week. Yes!

OK, can not wait to hear the theory of how Shane and Randall became zombies. Fire away!

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Who was that black guy with a few lines? I don't recall seeing him before. </SARCASM>

I don't think Lori knew either!

roybokhade

roybokhade

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

They made it seem like Rick and Shane did quite a bit of searching, only to find out they were still pretty close to the house (long shot).

I predict that Carl will show up on the premiere of Mad Men, because that kid sure does get around.

Thank you for bringing back T-Dog and giving him lines and everything.

It's obvious Shane was insane, but it surprised me that everyone bought his story about Randall (suspend belief for the sake of the plot).

Ironic they open the ep with zombie patrol and end it with a massive horde that obviously went unnoticed.