12-4: "Failure to Launch" 2012.03.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

248 replies to this topic

fivestone

fivestone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

So... if the game is based entirely around pleasing Donald Trump, and you do something that does not please Donald Trump, is it fair game to say that you should have been trying to please Donald Trump... even if what he wants is not reasonable and not fair?

The task was shilled as one that the Buick executives would decide - the implication being that if the execs were happy, Trump would be happy. It just so happens that Trump interestingly never showed his discussion with the execs - they probably liked the guys' presentations and this was the kind of task that Trump could manipulate. I don't think there's ever been a task like this where Trump or one of his minions didn't talk with the execs afterward. The guys had no reason to think that Trump's opinion mattered.

It's almost the same as if this were a fundraising task, and Adam raised $100,000 more than the women, but Trump getting mad because Michael Andretti wasn't the PM and firing them both. But I think that if the guys had known from the start that Trump was the one who would decide the winner, they might have chosen differently.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Adam lost the challenge the moment he became project manager. There was no way at all to recover from not being Andretti.

I'm not sure that it mattered who was PM as far as which team won. Unless one of the men was scheduled to be absent next week, Trump needed to have a task where he got to declare the women's team the winners, regardless of merit, to keep the teams from getting too imbalanced. if this is the case, choice of PM only mattered as far as which of the men would be fired. From a producer's POV, as a lackluster fill-in who had served his purpose, Michael would have been at the top of the list when the men lost, even if he had been PM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Bookworm06:

the men lost the task because Trump said so... and that's how it works.

BINGO.

There was NO quantifiable factor (money totals, e.g.) for this task, DELIBERATELY so that Trump could give the win to....Michael Andretti.

If MA had been PM, THEN we would have seen the women's brochure SNAFU and the men's successful brochure production. THEN Trump would have harped on Aubrey's "Verona". THEN Trump would have ridiculed Team Forte for not preparing enough to A the Q about safety records.

But, by allowing Michael to wait for a fund-raising task, Team Unanimous made the basic error of thinking this show is for charity rather than for its own ratings and Trump's ego.

Trump got the editing to go his way, which was to give him a plausible excuse or two to fire MA (and AC, as he, Adam, would have it) because Trump was PO'ed that THE MEN DID NOT "GET" IT.

The PM was supposed to be Andretti. The PM was NOT Andretti. Wrong PM and Andretti, you're fired!

Edited by LennieB, Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:29 PM.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:25 AM

I agree Michael (and contrarian Adam) were doomed when they didn't do it as Trump said and make Michael PM.

But I'm not sure Michael would have won, or been kept, if he'd botched PM (as was likely, from what we saw). I could see Trump happily mocking him, "Michael! You're an Andretti! Cars are your life! The execs couldn't even tell if you had a pulse, that presentation was so bad! Michael! You're fired!"

Because if Michael didn't pimp out Buick adequately (per whatever Trump had promised them) it would be time for Trump to embarrass and dump him. Why? Because he can!

hunterbear

hunterbear

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Buick put up their $30,000 after they knew Adam was the PM so it seems to be all on Trump.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Buick put up their $30,000 after they knew Adam was the PM

FWIW, I was pretty sure at the time that aired, that although the Buick guys announced the money almost as if it were a spontaneous decision, it must have been discussed and planned well beforehand, and that Trump was just going along with the plan when he greeted it like a pleasant surprise.

Val3976

Val3976

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Prepare yourselves..this is going to be very snarky!

I am usually not a big fan of plastic surgery, but Debbie Gibson would look better with a nose job. I give her credit for being one of the few people in Hollywood who did not have rhinoplasty, but I think it would make her look better, especially as she ages. I was looking at some of her old videos today and I never realized how large her nose is for her face. As she ages, her nose looks even more prominent.

Clay needs to fire his hairstylist. He looks just like the Chucky doll! Everytime I see him, I'm thinking, "Chuckie..Charles Lee Ray!". I won't even discuss when he has that 5 o'clock shadow in his talking heads..it looks very strange. I miss the old American Idol Clay, where he carried himself like a young, confident man. Now he seems so queenish and bitchy since he came out of the closet.

I was bummed to see Adam go. I've always liked his style of comedy. The Andretti dude needed to leave--you could tell he was not comfortable in front of the cameras. There is NO WAY the men should have lost. Their presentation was waaaaay better than the ladies.

I don't like Aubrey O'Day, but I did enjoy her snarky commeent about Debbie (ahem, Deborah) Gibson. Come on--"The Debbie Gibson comeback tour" snark was priceless. :)

Lastly, I thought Tia looked stunning when her hair was styled in a bun. Aubrey O'Day's bun was scary looking.

Edited by Val3976, Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:25 PM.

Kstel78

Kstel78

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I was actually sad when Adam and Michael got fired, especially Michael. He didn't deserve to be fired. He didn't step up to be PM because has he lasted another couple of weeks he'd step up to be PM plus wasn't it Adam that stepped up?

JessH

JessH

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

@Val3976

Yes Deborah has always had a big nose. BUT changing your nose affects how you sing, which is why *she* never had a nose job but other people who call themselves "singers" have. Fun aside as well, I think I saw the same make up on Deborah from this episode on Rosie O'Donnell. She looked fine there, which makes me think that either Rosie's people know how to light the stage better or Trump's are horrible lighters for the women that they have, maybe intentionally.