Being Human (UK) spoiler poll

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

Poll: Being Human (UK) spoiler poll (106 member(s) have cast votes)

What spoiler policy works for you?

1. once it airs in the UK, no spoiler tags (65 votes [56.03%])

Percentage of vote: 56.03%

2. once it airs in the UK, spoiler tags for major story-arc details only (26 votes [22.41%])

Percentage of vote: 22.41%

3. until it airs in the US, spoiler tags for everything (25 votes [21.55%])

Percentage of vote: 21.55%

And for the record, how are you watching?

1. I watch the UK airing (48 votes [45.28%])

Percentage of vote: 45.28%

2. I watch the US airing but don't mind spoilers in the thread (30 votes [28.30%])

Percentage of vote: 28.30%

3. I watch the US airing and can't use the thread because of spoilers (28 votes [26.42%])

Percentage of vote: 26.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Strega

Strega

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

First off, this is specifically about the thread for the UK series, not the US remake.

Taking a page from what we did for Merlin... I figured it might help to figure out what the preference of people using the thread might be with regard to spoilers, since the delay in the US airing is making the thread tricky to negotiate. I outlined 3 options in the poll. The first is, I believe, what you're doing now, and the third one is our standard policy.

The middle option is my attempt to find a compromise that doesn't require UK viewers to put every post they make in spoiler tags. Would it work to say that UK viewers can talk about the more "self-contained" parts of an episode as long as they used spoiler tags when discussing major story arc events like deaths, pregnancies, and so on? I realize those are the sort of things that will generate a lot of conversation, but at least then UK viewers can have conversations about the show without tagging everything in every post, and US viewers don't have to worry that they'll ruin big surprises if they poke their heads in. But I'm not a viewer so I don't know if that's an easy distinction to make or not.

I made the first poll multiple choice so: if you'd rather have no spoiler tags (or all spoiler tags) but you could live with the compromise, please select both. (You could vote for all 3 if you really don't care at all, but that won't tell me much...) The second one is to get a sense of how many people can use the thread as is versus how many are kind of shut-out by the way it works now.

I'll give you a couple of days and see if this helps steer us to something that works for most people! Thanks for any input.

Sonicsean34

Sonicsean34

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Strega thanks for the option, made my votes for no spoilers but ok with compromise for pragmatic reasons. The whole thing wouldn't even be an issue if the american airings were either same week or started after UK was done (not that its something TWoP can control unless you are the Illumianti in web site form!). Ideally an "if it airs in the country of origin then its aired" site wide rule would probably work best so that we don't have to do this every time a non-USA show airs there and stops non-Americans feeling like second class users. I mean I understand never to jump into threads of american shows when there is a huge delay for it airing in the UK because people will talk of episodes that haven't aired here yet. Plus if I jumped into one of those threads and american viewers started tagging out of courtesy for stuff already aired they would be edited by mods. (hopefully this all didn't come off as aggressive or anything since you and the other moderators do a great job with the site and I respect that)

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

I've been thinking about this and, for me, it would be helpful if posters could just indicate at the top of their post which episode they are discussing. That way UK people don't have to worry about using spoiler bars and US people could even go back and see what UK people posted on episodes that we are seeing now.

Dom Curry

Dom Curry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Sorry if this is off-topic...

TWoP's memory is a little odd. It will remember that I haven't followed a forums for a week or so, and bring me back to where I stopped. But what if I can't read the rest of a forum in one sitting? TWoP doesn't realize that I only made it past one or two pages. Instead it jumps me forward to the end.

If the forums remembered where I last stopped reading, I could follow (and stay) a month behind. This would be useful not only for following non-US programs, but DVR'd programs as well. Sometimes I will go a week or two before seeing a show and I'll be a few episodes late. If it's a popular program, twenty or thirty pages will have accumulated before I watch what I recorded. I'd like to be able to read five or six pages at a time and have TWoP remember that I didn't make it to the end yet.

A technical change like this (maybe even with horizontal bars dividing one calendar week's posts from another) might be better than spoler tags.

Strega

Strega

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

Dom Curry -- Do you have your browser set to allow cookies from forums.televisionwithoutpity.com ? If you have privacy settings you might need to whitelist the forum url. When you click on a topic, you should be taken to exactly where you left off, so if that's not happening for you there's a problem somewhere. I know this setup isn't perfect, but I think most of the errors I've seen described involve users getting sent back to old posts that have already been read, not jumping to recent posts.

If you can email me at strega@glumpish.com and tell me what browser you're using I'll try to give you more detail about what to check in your settings. That sounds maddening, and not the way the site should work for you, so I would like to help if I can!

Strega

Strega

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 1:20 AM

I should say: I think regardless of what spoiler policy we end up with I will ask that people put the episode title or # at the top of their post so people who are behind/overseas/whatever can skim. So for AngelKitty and anyone else: assume there will be a very short pinned post asking people to do that (and in my experience most people will do it if asked, especially if that spares them from having to use spoiler tags for everything).

Sonicsean34 -- Heh. We are working on establishing total control of all media but sadly we aren't there yet. (In other words, thanks, I kind of agree, and you don't sound aggressive at all.)

paulvdb

paulvdb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:00 AM

Strega, I think you misunderstood Dom Curry's post. It's my understanding that he would like to go back to the way the old MBTV forum worked. That forum would remember which pages of a thread you had actually read and take you to the first unread post. The current forum software takes you to the first new post in a thread that was made after you last visited the thread. That means that you'll miss posts if you didn't read the whole thread the last time you visited it.

As far as spoiler policy is concerned, I agree with Sonicsean34. I would prefer if the site-wide spoiler policy was changed to allow discussion of episodes as soon as they air in the country of origin. Many people here are from outside the US and they can handle the discussion in US-paced threads for American shows so I don't see why Americans couldn't do the same with non-US shows.

Quick edit to add that I don't actually watch Being Human, but I do watch other UK/Canadian/Australian shows.

Edited by paulvdb, Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:03 AM.

Dom Curry

Dom Curry

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Paul has described what I was asking for.