Lee Arenberg as Grumpy: Dream A Little Dream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8 replies to this topic

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

So, especially in light of "Dreamy" what's your take on the town drunk?

blue green

blue green

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I think between the actor and the writing he does a good work at providing comic relief and a he's nice sidekick for Snow at times but I did not like the egg origins story of him and the other dwarves. It wreaked havoc on my suspension of disbelief.

This Snow / Grumpy scene from 7:15 is one of my OUaT favourite moments (though I admit I have a lot of fave OUaT moments):

(Snow White pulls out the potion vial that Rumpelstiltskin gave her.)

Snow White: Yes, it will. This will take all of my feelings Ė all of my pain Ė and destroy them.

Grumpy: No.

Snow White: But why? You, of all people, should understand. Youíve lost love. What if your pain could be erased?

Grumpy: I donít want my pain erased. As wretched as it is, I need my pain. It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy. Look around, Snow. Youíre not alone anymore. I promise you thatís all the cure you need. If the painís too much, you can always drink it. But for today, put it away.

Snow White: Okay.

And when I look at that now, as often happens with looking back later on an OUaT moment from a past ep, his words take on a whole new meaning now that we know that he literally did become "Grump" (new axe, new name) after the whole Nova debacle.

goldberry71

goldberry71

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

I had been wondering why Lee Arenberg seemed so familiar and finally IMDB'd him yesterday. 'Ello poppet! He was in the Pirates of the Carribean movies AND he was that guy who thought Jerry (on Seinfeld) was a phony and was argueing over a parking space with George. He was Grumpy even then!

Although it was bizarre to see him smile in the Dreamy episode, I have to say I thought he was adorable with Sister Astrid. I liked his scenes with Mary Margaret even more. I think it is interesting that both in this story and in the Disney movie Grumpy is the dwarf that gets the most focus. Everyone loves to pull the softie out of a grump.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Yeah, he kind of has a face for grouchiness, doesn't he?

MsOrange21

MsOrange21

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I think between the actor and the writing he does a good work at providing comic relief and a he's nice sidekick for Snow at times but I did not like the egg origins story of him and the other dwarves. It wreaked havoc on my suspension of disbelief.

But the whole show relies on a suspension of disbelief, does it not?

I do love me some Grumpy. After the episode with Amy Acker - they were so cute together! - it was nice to see Grumpy as something other than Grumpy. He's definitely becoming one of my favorite secondary characters.

Edited by MsOrange21, Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:45 PM.

blue green

blue green

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

But the whole show relies on a suspension of disbelief, does it not?

Yes, and it's normally not too hard to suspend that disbelief, but when things are just too ridiculous like the egg thing, it makes it harder, for me anyway.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

The egg thing is weird for me too.. The only thing I could think of is that they were going for some sort of hive/collective idea with the dwarves.. that they are mainly like 'worker bees' who live a life without individuality, sex lives, etc.. with only one Queen whom they serve.

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:25 AM

It does seem now mid-Season 2 that he's taken the role of lead Dwarf (in the Disney tale I think it was Doc). I sort of wish they'd emphasize more the loyalty he had to Snow White back in Fairy Tale Land, stuck in Storybrooke though they all may be.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

It does seem now mid-Season 2 that he's taken the role of lead Dwarf (in the Disney tale I think it was Doc). I sort of wish they'd emphasize more the loyalty he had to Snow White back in Fairy Tale Land, stuck in Storybrooke though they all may be.

In the animated movie, Grumpy ends up as the most loyal of Snow White's followers, and her co-favorite (with Dopey.) When the dwarves rush to fight the Evil Queen, Grumpy is in the lead.