3-17: "Long Way Home" 2012.03.11

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

181 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

CHEAT TWEET: Is there a Colin Sweeney Jr? Find out when Morena Baccarin & Bebe Neuwirth guest star on #TheGoodWife 3/11 9pm ET/PT http://bit.ly/xlw0aH

“Long Way Home” – Alicia must once again aid Colin Sweeney when a sexual misconduct claim derails his attempt to win back control of his company. Also, Cary is faced with a moral dilemma when Peter tasks him with enforcing office policies, on THE GOOD WIFE, Sunday, March 11 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television. Bebe Neuwirth (“Cheers”) guest stars as Judge Friend and Morena Baccarin (“Homeland”) guest stars as Isobel, Colin Sweeney’s accuser.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Caitlin, listen to your mentor. Yes, you are in love now. So was Alicia when she married Peter. You don't want to have to go back into the workplace in 15 years with only a few months of work experience under your belt. Especially considering it appears your wedding date is based on your due date.

I guess the theme was that marriages come in all flavors. Alicia remembering what she had with Peter (how did they afford the house then when she makes so much more money now and can't afford it?). Catilin marrying her boyfriend early because she is pregnant. Colin Sweeney marrying Inara as a business merger.

I hope David Lee apologizes to Alica.

Legal nitpicks:

You never say you can't continue questioning under the Rules of Professional Conduct. That is the equivalent of saying "my client just lied" which is not in your client's best interest. You just stop talking.

Will is suspended. He can't go to the office. Mostly because as we saw it is fine line between legal practice and other things.

Bebe Neuwirth makes an awesome judge. I hope we see more of her.

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

IDK, ladies and gents, something seems off with Catilin's pregnany/marriage/departure. I'm not convinced she's gone for good. Whose baby is she carrying, really? Heck, is she really even pregnant?

Edited by meanbutnice, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

It was a decent episode, hilarious to watch Sweeney and his accuser both perjure themselves and mortify their attorneys.

To whoever called out the racial bias law suit potential in the SA's office, you win. Not that I doubted you...

It was nice to see Geneva call Cary out. I wonder if this is how Cary ends up back at Lockhart & Associates. Especially now that they are now down one, "wonder associate". I was actually pleased Alicia told Caitlin to knock off taking credit for work that wasn't hers. I did like Will publicly reasserting that Alicia was the lead attorney on all courtroom procedures for the Sweeney case.

Caitlin had creeped me out all along, I wouldn't have been grossed out entirely had her exit been free of the soon to be stepford wife vacant eyes and the "I have nothing to prove" line . I guess we'll never know if Caitlin could handle being in a law firm without Uncle David looking out for her. Or, I am glad we won't know and that she will be off my screen. This leaves open the possibility of Uncle David writing her pre-nup and handling her divorce..... fun times.

Was David Lee just acting the manipulative freak when he was screaming at Alicia about hazing her? David Lee is much more fun to watch when he isn't directing his crazy at the firm, at opposing counsel it oddly endearing, at Lockhart et. al., is just irritating.

ETA:

I'm not convinced she's gone for good. Whose baby is she carrying, really? Heck, is she really even pregnant?

Is David Lee about to bolt the firm?

Edited by name234, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Bebe Neuwirth makes an awesome judge. I hope we see more of her.

Yes and yes.

I liked that the composition/power structure of the State's Attorney's office was finally highlighted by Geneva (that Cary, a white dude, was promoted over the POC ASAs like Matan Brody and Geneva despite their superior experience). Doesn't look like it will go anywhere, necessarily, but it was nice that that was pointed out.

Caitlin, listen to your mentor. Yes, you are in love now. So was Alicia when she married Peter. You don't want to have to go back into the workplace in 15 years with only a few months of work experience under your belt. Especially considering it appears your wedding date is based on your due date.

Yeah, seriously. Good luck with that life plan, Caitlin. Crossing my fingers that your partner never loses his job/gets sick/gets injured/dumps you!

(...You'd think David Lee, who likely sees in his practice all kinds of abandoned wives boohooing about how they sacrificed their careers for their scoundrel husbands only to be dumped later, would have some strong opinions as to his beloved Caitlin throwing away her career for "love.")

Edited by Blue32, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:34 PM.

Stealth Jager

Stealth Jager

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Is there a missing scene? The previews had a scene where Alicia asks to be excused from the case, and the judge does not grant her permission. I don't remember it from tonight's show...

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Is there a missing scene? The previews had a scene where Alicia asks to be excused from the case, and the judge does not grant her permission. I don't remember it from tonight's show...

I don't recall seeing it either, much less some kind of set up like clearing as big a move as that with Diane first.

CozyKat

CozyKat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

What a lovely wordless ending sequence with Alicia walking through her old house and remembering, and finally crying. Among other things, it made some of her recent seemingly cold, emotionally shut-down behavior easier to understand. She's still got a lot of hurt locked away. Great expressive work by JM.

I enjoyed watching Cary explain to Peter what "zero tolerance" means. And how for squeaky-clean Peter, sex is always the most negotiable ethic.

Yeah, seriously. Good luck with that life plan, Caitlin. Crossing my fingers that your partner never loses his job/gets sick/gets injured/dumps you!

Amen and amen.

Colin Sweeney marrying Inara as a business merger. (emphasis mine)

Hee. I miss "Firefly."

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I wouldn't have been grossed out entirely had her exit been free of the soon to be stepford wife vacant eyes and the "I have nothing to prove" line...

Right!? It turned my stomach. And I just didn't believe her. It just seems so out of character for someone, who, up until this point seemed so career driven and almost overly eager.

Is David Lee about to bolt the firm?

Hmmmmm, I like the way you think.

Edited by meanbutnice, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:35 PM.

Rozen

Rozen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Amen and amen.

I guess feminism is also enabling women to make stupid life choices...

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Nope; I kept waiting for it, and it didn't happen.

I don't have a problem with Caitlin leaving the law firm in order to raise her child. I don't understand going through seven years of higher education, and the associated expenses, to leave the workforce six months into one's career, but if she can afford to do so, more power to her.

The fact that her pregnancy is expediting her wedding doesn't mean that the relationship is doomed; all marriages come with some degree of risk. Some don't work out, but many do. If a woman plans her life with the idea that her future husband may leave her or cheat on her, then she probably has no business marrying him in the first place.

yulichka

yulichka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Honestly. I hate that. When Alicia said something along the lines of "I guess breaking through the glass ceiling allows Caitlin to make the choice of being a homemaker," I couldn't believe it. For a show about how that is a terrible life choice, I'm really surprised what a positive spin they put on it. There's nothing feminist about choosing to be a stay-at-home mother, especially in light of the fact that society still does not really recognize that as a viable choice for a man.

Also, whoever does the legal consulting on this show should be fired. It has just reached new levels of stupidity. As much as I love the Good Wife, the mockery that it makes of the legal profession sometimes is just astounding.

Qi Zi

Qi Zi

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Colin Sweeney marrying Inara as a business merger. (emphasis mine)

Hee. I miss "Firefly."

I thought she was Anna from "V" -- hence the interbreeding between human and reptilian.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

I guess feminism is also enabling women to make stupid life choices...

She's perfectly free to choose her choice (yay feminism!), but similarly, we're all perfectly free to point out her choice is idiotic. (I'd say the same of a guy permanently quitting a promising career for no other reason than "love.")

I don't have a problem with Caitlin leaving the law firm in order to raise her child. I don't understand going through seven years of higher education, and the associated expenses, to leave the workforce six months into one's career, but if she can afford to do so, more power to her.

If you're a working woman in a high-powered career, there's no good time to have a child, but earlier on might not be entirely debilitating provided you come back, be it in six months or a year. The way Caitlin was talking sounded as if she wasn't just taking maternity leave and then coming back down the road; it sounded as if she had no intention of ever returning to practice law...which, again, is stupid.

Some don't work out, but many do. If a woman plans her life with the idea that her future husband may leave her or cheat on her, then she probably has no business marrying him in the first place.

Let's assume that the oft-quoted statistic that 50% of marriages end in divorce is true. That would mean that if you're a non-working wife who depends on your husband completely when it comes to finances, that that there is a 50% chance that your source of revenue--to put it crudely--will dry up at some point down the line. To fail to plan for that possibility (or even likelihood), assuming that there is a 50% chance that it will happen, and assuming that you're aware that divorce tends to impoverish women, is really, really, really stupid. Thus my criticism of Caitlin.

If a woman plans her life with the idea that her future husband may leave her or cheat on her

Sure, but what if he becomes terminally ill? What if he's diagnosed with a chronic debilitating illness like MS that prevents him from working? What if he's injured and can't work? What if he becomes mentally ill and can't work? What if he loses his job (quite likely, in this economy)? There are a number of ways a non-working spouse could land in deep trouble when it comes to putting food on the table without the working spouse leaving him/her or cheating on him/her.

It has nothing to do with feminism and everything to do with sensible risk management.

Edited by Blue32, Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:05 PM.

merylinkid

merylinkid

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

I thought she was Anna from "V" -- hence the interbreeding between human and reptilian.

Same actress. Considering how slimy Colin Sweeney is, I am not sure it is interspecies breeding.

Yes, feminism means you can make stupid life choices. But, she does not necessarily have to plan that he will leave her/cheat on her. As someone pointed out, what if he gets sick, injured or dies? Then she has to raise the child (children by then maybe) alone and support them.

Life is unexpected. That is why Alicia set up a trust for the kids. She is not planning on dumping them. But if something should happen to her, as the main breadwinner now, she wants to ensure they are taken care of. The time to plan for the unexpected is before it happens.

Look at Alicia. She quit her job to stay home and raise the kids. How they could afford to do so I am still trying to figure out as it has been stated explicitly many times that she makes more a lawyer than Peter does as SA. Then Peter goes to jail. She has to somehow have an income to just keep a roof over the kids heads and food on the table. If Will had not been willing to hire her, she would have had a tough time of it.

Caitlin can't count on her Uncle David helping her out in the future. There is a good possibility that some ex spouse he screwed over in a divorce (legally, of course) kills him. If she needs back in the work force quickly and Uncle David is dead, it might not be that easy for her to find a job.

Edited by merylinkid, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:58 PM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

Well we got to see the Alicia & Kalinda "piranha" scene this time, which had been shown in the promo for last week's episode. It was edited differently when glancing at Caitlin, but it was there. So Kalinda is half right, that Caitlin is "hiding something" but she's not "hungry like a piranha" for work it seems.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Right!? It turned my stomach. And I just didn't believe her. It just seems so out of character for someone, who, up until this point seemed so career driven and almost overly eager.

I meant to say this earlier, but I need Jacob's recap of this episode, 1) his rendition of the dialogue between Diane, Caitlin and Alicia, and Diana and Alicia after Caitlin leaves, and 2) Caitlin's final little speech to Alicia, for me to go from queasy to seeing the artful comedy of all of this.

I don't think they would have Kalinda say, something is up with Caitlin, and set up something as anti-climactic as this. So, yes, I am asking, "Is that all there is?"

watcher1006

watcher1006

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

I like Cary and I think I cringed and then sighed when he fell on his sword. But in retrospect, he should have come forward to Peter immediately when he was given the assignment to ferret out the improper liaisons. He should have just told Peter that he couldn't look into it because of his own compromised position, and told him just what that position was.

And yes I'm left puzzled about what Caitlin is doing. If she really is honestly leaving for the sake of her fiancee and a baby, then one would expect her to intercede with her raging Uncle David on Alicia's behalf, tell him that she's not leaving because of what Alicia said or did to her. Not that David would believe her. I'm curious as to how David will treat Alicia in the weeks to come.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

In the previews for last week's show, they used the scene from tonight where Kalinda warned Alicia about Caitlyn, calling her "hungry like a piranha." In fact, I think they ran it right before the episode. Maybe the preview people are scrambled and the scene with Alicia asking to be excused will come up in next week's show.

Edited by Long Days Night, Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

Qi Zi

Qi Zi

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

Honestly. I hate that. When Alicia said something along the lines of "I guess breaking through the glass ceiling allows Caitlin to make the choice of being a homemaker," I couldn't believe it. For a show about how that is a terrible life choice, I'm really surprised what a positive spin they put on it. There's nothing feminist about choosing to be a stay-at-home mother, especially in light of the fact that society still does not really recognize that as a viable choice for a man.

Given Alicia's pronouncement about her, I think the writers intended Caitlin to represent the "post-feminist" woman who has nothing left "to prove" and who can embrace the retro roles of Hausfrau and homemaker without regret. She's also pretty clearly meant to remind Alicia of her(younger)self.

I think in the hands of a more capable actress, it could have come across more sympathetically. But the way the lines were delivered, this Caitlin just seemed a bit smug, entitled, and insincere.

I'm also bugged by the whole Carey scenario. All the people of color at the SA's office are portrayed as rather angry and resentful, not particularly competent, and overeager to play the race card. Carey, on the other hand, is conscientious and empathetic, so much so that he's willing to resign over this?

So in sum, women giving up their power careers to become homemakers is empowering and self-affirming, and the white male is the biggest victim of all in this politically correct culture of ours. I exaggerate a bit, but the episode is flirting recklessly with these notions.

The audience demographics for TGW skew so strongly towards the kind of people who listen to NPR (preferably whilst receiving oral sex) and drive Prii that sometimes I think the writers get away with positions approved by the Rush-Limbaugh-listening, Ford F-150 driving crowd.

KMax

KMax

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

When Alicia said something along the lines of "I guess breaking through the glass ceiling allows Caitlin to make the choice of being a homemaker," I couldn't believe it. For a show about how that is a terrible life choice, I'm really surprised what a positive spin they put on it. There's nothing feminist about choosing to be a stay-at-home mother, especially in light of the fact that society still does not really recognize that as a viable choice for a man.

I think Alicia was exactly right. Feminism isn't about making the same choice for every woman--it's about giving women choices about who they want to be, what they want to do, and when and how they want to do it.

Sometimes, it's only by having the prior generations prove something that those who come after can actually do what they want...hence, Alicia's point.

I'm closer to Alicia in age, at 42. In lifestyle, I'm closer to Caitlin--hetero, never married, no children. I live in the NYC area, so there's no shortage of "me" around. I earn a comfortable living. And, yeah, there are downsides to this--if I get sick, if I lose my job (which I've done), blah blah, it sucks. And I like my job, generally. But I'd leave it tomorrow for something less lucrative and more fulfilling, if I could afford to do that.

All this said, I actually understood EXACTLY what Caitlin was saying, and thought it was valid. I also thought, "Oh, little girl, you're going to look back on this and wonder," but, hell, who HASN'T looked back on things she's done at 26 or 27 and downed a drink and shook her head? That's sort of what life's about. You take your best shot at it at the moment, with your feelings and knowledge at that time at hand. And, if nothing else, Alicia has shown Caitlin that taking a break from the law isn't a death sentence; if you want, there's always a way back into corporate life.

She's only in her mid- to late twenties. There's plenty of time for course correction.

That said, those of you calling a David Lee-coup are really, really wily. That would rock.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

One thing that bothered me--if the new owners of the house had it repainted, then why didn't they paint over the wall with Grace and Zack's heights? Why didn't they fix that loose door knob that Alicia recognized? That really took me out of the scene, wondering why the new owners so conveniently left everything in the right condition for Alicia to have nostalgia.

Carey, on the other hand, is conscientious and empathetic, so much so that he's willing to resign over this?

He should resign over this, if the other guy got fired, after being promised that he wasn't going to get into trouble. Also, Carey's not that conscientious, since he did date Dana before and never reported it, not even when he was handed this fraternization investigation. Only when Geneva brought it up did he finally do the right thing. I mean, I don't mind the character being flawed and acting immorally, but I don't think he came up looking more noble & ethical than all those wronged minority characters.

Did Carey say that he dated Dana after Dana was demoted? I thought it was before. Am I remembering wrong? She left in an angry huff (practically saying she quit) BECAUSE she was demoted, and this was after they dated.

Edited by Cress, Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:53 PM.

Jlina

Jlina

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

I thought the theme (weird that this show seems to have "themes" but part of it's critical success?) was children - Alicia looked fairly horrified that Colin Sweeny was going to be alone with that little boy, Kaitlin's mad love for her child to be....and then the visit back home where her children were her life. (Which I agree a million dollar house put on the market would definitely have been painted and fixed - as it would have been at move in, too.) However, in the plots within plots I agree the whole Kaitlin thing and David Lee's utter bitterness showing more and more often seem suspect.

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes somewhere, or if it's never mentioned again. I do wish Alicia would have said, "your Uncle implied your resignation had to do with me." I don't see how it benefits her to play her cards so very, very close to the vest. Carey was made of win - esp. but we didn't do it on the couch - and that's probably what Peter sees.

Will be curious to see if Peter changes the rules for him like he did on hiring cronies last show. Alicia likes Peter so much better when he backs off; one day he may back far enough off for her to advance? Because the Will sex tension is just...gone. So odd - I've never experienced that in real life, but yeah for Will always having her back. By far the better choice for her corner. Diane never leaves loose ends, does she?

And last thought on Kaitlin - Kalinda called it - therefore, it may well be going somewhere, they usually have Kalinda's calls carry a lot of weight. Ah, I see I'm echoing others on this...

Edited by Jlina, Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:53 PM.

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

I think in the hands of a more capable actress, it could have come across more sympathetically. But the way the lines were delivered, this Caitlin just seemed a bit smug, entitled, and insincere.

You're right. This could very well be the case. But then again, she is supposed to be cut from David Lee cloth. And David going ape-shit on Alicia just seemed off if the real reason for Caitlin's departure was marriage and baby. Actually, how would he have known what Alicia said to Caitlin if Caitlin hadn't told him. Moreover, I think Alicia's "Nope, I believe her, good luck Caitlin, see ya!" could very well may have been Alicia internalizing a "Phew, now I don't have to feel threatened by the young wunderkin anymore." Almost like a "quite frankly, I'm just glad she's gone."

Heck, I don't know. Because Alicia did have that mini-breakdown at the end, which signals she may be missing that life. Who knows.

KMax

KMax

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

By the way, is it just me, but when Homeland chick (bad with names, sorry) flat-out lied about the turkey baster and who had told her to use it, and Ellis Grey had to use the bogus "professional conduct" line, and Alicia's client smirked?

Did anyone else get the idea it was a complete conspiracy between Homeland and smarmy dude to run his competitor into the ground? I just rewatched, and she says, "I never asked anybody about how to use a turkey baster," and her lawyer backs off, and Homeland and smarmy smirk at each other. In other words--did he tell her?

Probably not, but I thought that was loaded, especially given the end.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

I was thinking for a while that Caitlin was lying about having a baby and instead was going to switch to another firm, and didn't want them to be suspicious. I'm still not sure whether the writers want her to be sincere in this baby stuff, or are just trying to shock us later.

marlenemelade

marlenemelade

Channel Surfer

On the one hand, I think it's so obvious that there is more to the Caitlin thing (Kalinda calling it, David Lee telling her he was going to need her help a few episodes ago), that I kind of hope it's true. Maybe she was actually embarrased to tell her uncle -the cynical divorce attorney- about her plans and that's why she let him believe it was Alicia's fault?

Nah, those were definitely not wedding invitations she was hiding (would that actually be something a person deals with at the office?).

I must admit that for a horribly tense moment I thought we were going to have a big reveal about the father of Caitlin's baby, and it was also going to turn out to be Sweeney's.

Edited by marlenemelade, Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:03 AM.

KMax

KMax

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Nah, those were definitely not wedding invitations she was hiding (would that actually be something a person deals with at the office?).

Yeah, it didn't look like envelopes--and that's the only thing you MIGHT be hand-addressing in Caitlin's world. Weren't no calligraphy pen she was wielding, either.

Edited to remove bad pasting.

Edited by KMax, Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:05 AM.

meanbutnice

meanbutnice

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 12:27 AM

Could it be that David and Caitlin are starting their own firm; the "envelopes" were actually "potential client teasers" that David and Caitlin were mailing out on LG letterhead; and Logan, err, Cary, does end up getting fired and Joins-up with the dastardly duo, resulting in Lee, Agos & Lee?

But that's probably too soap-opera-y for TGW.

Gotta admit, I'm a tad obsessed with this storyline now.

bigredcat7

bigredcat7

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Did Carey say that he dated Dana after Dana was demoted? I thought it was before. Am I remembering wrong? She left in an angry huff (practically saying she quit) BECAUSE she was demoted, and this was after they dated.

I thought Carey was saying they didn't break up until after he demoted Dana. They happened in quick succession.