My Crazy Obsession

• Please log in to reply

87 replies to this topic

Fierce Critter

Fierce Critter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

No topic on this yet?

I was back and forth, so I didn't see all of the broadcasts last night.

But the Cabbage Patch couple just made me all sorts of uneasy, on several levels. Money spent (wasted), shared psychosis, etc.

Pink Lady didn't bother me that much, I actually found her kinda cute. But I think she was pushing things a bit asking restaurants to add pink dye to food for her. I'm not sure, but I think restaurants can actually get in trouble by cooking with or plating things brought in by customers.

Missed Wig Lady, and I don't remember who else.

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

The wig woman and pink lady were boring, but the Mickey Mouse lady and those Cabbage Patch people brought the crazy.

The Cabbage Patch people spent their life savings and inheritance on those dolls. They lived in mobile home yet the dolls had a 6,000 sq ft climate controlled building all to their selves. Then they said it costs $1,000 a month in maintence, that's insane. The story time, the carnival, it was just too much.

Then the Mickey Mouse woman, goodness, she was jealous of Minni Mouse and actually moved from Puerto Rico to Florida so she could be closer to Mickey. It was both hilarious and sad - especially when was in tears begging that Target employ for the Mickey display.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

It was both hilarious and sad - especially when was in tears begging that Target employ for the Mickey display.

Yeah, I thought she leaned a bit to the sad side too. I did, however, really like her husband and was happy that he put his foot down for some "Mickey free" spaces.

Wig lady was just kind of funny. I didn't mind her. Her boyfriend creeped me out though! And then when she dressed as the man and he had to dress as the woman and they went out to eat? Cray-cray!

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

My 16 yr old son said "Mom! Mom! watch this, these people are crazy" Hahaha.

When Joe bought the "kids" home from another collector, he said that he poked holes in the bag that the "kids" were in so, they could breath.

They actually went to the store to buy "Kevan's sister a present.

6.000 sq ft for dolls but you live in a 900 sq ft trailer ?

I can't believe that their real life daughter showed her face on TV.

Edited by livinggreen, Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:48 AM.

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Yeah, I thought she leaned a bit to the sad side too. I did, however, really like her husband and was happy that he put his foot down for some "Mickey free" spaces

Was looking for this show on here. The Cabbage Patch couple and Mickey lady did not disappoint. Designing a theme park and spending $1,000 a month on your "babies"=nuts. The man part of that couple really disturbed me. They were just not right.

Mickey lady was pretty out there too. I come from a family of Disney fans, but after watching that lady I told my Mom she has to tone down the Disney love or end cuckoo like her. That husband was very patient to humor her obsession and move to be closer to Disney while allowing her to acquire more and more stuff. She should get a job there-more access to Mickey and it would give her something to do.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

Did anyone see Pink Lady when she was on the Dog Whisperer? I think her dog was biting her or something....small wonder. I don't recall Cesar commenting on all the pinkness. I think she's an attention whore, but a harmless kook. And why isn't her hair pink?

Those Cabbage Patch loonies....a mature woman just looks ridiculous and infantile walking around with a doll, but a mature man looks downright creepy and icky. Having an amusement park for "the kids"? NO, they're not kids - they're a bunch of manufactured items made of stuffing and fabric! I was stunned to see that there are other people doing this.

I know it's their money and they can spend it as they please, but couldn't help but think of how many REAL little kids who maybe never see anything but dirty streets and shabby apartment hallways would have loved a day in the country at a little amusement park.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

When is this on?

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Ha. My son said, why isn't "Pink Lady's" hair pink ? I think she is a harmless 'cat lady" type. You know she does it for the attention and it seems to be working.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Wig lady wasn't too nuts (except for the $$$ she spent), but her boyfriend was Crispin Glover-style creepy. I had trouble watching the portions on which he was a participant.

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

This is on TLC Wednesday nights,

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Did anyone else get the feeling that some of these cases were submitted for My Strange Addiction, but TLC instead decided to create a whole other freak show to display them? Really, the only thing that was different here is that no Doctor showed up to explain to them how their obsession was destroying their lives.

Fierce Critter

Fierce Critter

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

Seems like "Addiction" features mostly people who ingest strange things. And "obsession" is more collectors. With some overlap.

Seriously, they're practically the same show except, as you mention, doctor/no doctor.

CarolinaFiner

CarolinaFiner

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

Re: the cabbage patch people, I happened to catch them on a radio interview. The hosts were very congenial to them on air, and then the moment they left the studio the hosts were like "wow, those people are really out of their minds" ....

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

These people take "Kevan" with them everywhere that they go and want whomever they come across to talk to "Kevan" like he's a real person. Did you see when Pat held the phone up to Kevan's ear so he could talk to the person on the other end?

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:50 PM

My brother is an acquaintance of the washing machine guys in real life. Yes, believe it or not there is a group of washing machine enthusiasts out there. Anyway, the show was initially called "My Crazy Collection" and it was changed to "obsession" after filming. They were none to thrilled to be lumped in with CPK couple and the Mickey Mouse lady.

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

The washing machine promo looks like a guy I've seen in an article or a show someplace (it is sad that I've seen so much of this stuff I can't place it) who collects vacuum cleaners. It's just a collection - happens to be a mechancial household applicance but there's history, evolution, etc. Course, he could be making love to the washing machines, who knows.

Wig lady wasn't too nuts (except for the $$$ she spent), but her boyfriend was Crispin Glover-style creepy. I had trouble watching the portions on which he was a participant.

Seriously! I sadly missed the Cabbage Patch people, they sound special. I saw pink lady, who I thought kind of liked having the thing that made her different and really just needed help decorating. Her place read way more 'insane asylum' than 'I love pink' mostly due to the sameness and ubiquitousness of the hue she had going, I think. The food thing was... odd but it did just seem like she needed to have a defining 'special' thing about her and it was harmless.

Wig lady also seemed harmless - and I was like, seriously, so she likes wigs, this isn't that stran... right until the bf showed up. Holy hell was he fucking creepy.

He was an older Donnie Pfaster (get that ref, we can be bestest pals). I would not have been at all surprised if they went back to his place and found body parts, oddly dressed Real Dolls, dried funeral arrangements, whatever. Could not have been more creepy. I think even Crispin Glover would have been like 'no, I need someone more believable to base a character on,' because ... creepy.

Then, when she busted out with the cross dressing proposal it got all kinds of unwatchably, uncomfortably awful. Like, at first it was 'she doesn't seem so bad, how is she with that guy who has cat heads mounted on opossum bodies home taxidermied into the Little House on the Prarie clown rape scene diorama?'

Then... it sortof became clear and made me want to go take a shower and Clorox wipe my tv.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

washing machine guys

Little House on the Prarie clown rape scene diorama?

I just know if I ask the meaning of these things I'll be sorry, but I need to ask anyway. WTF?

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

These people take "Kevan" with them everywhere that they go and want whomever they come across to talk to "Kevan" like he's a real person. Did you see when Pat held the phone up to Kevan's ear so he could talk to the person on the other end?

Don't forget that Kevan also gets to decide which dolls stay and which dolls go!

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I just know if I ask the meaning of these things I'll be sorry, but I need to ask anyway. WTF?

Heh, sorry, didn't mean to cause consternation - don't think the other poster did either. The washing machine guys referred to a preview of I think next week's episodes of this show (though it may have been a generic preview for the 'season') in which someone is showing off his washing machine collection and talking lovingly about one of the machines to another guy standing with him. Seems innocuous, but given TLC, I feared it may veer into the territory they broached with the guy in 'My Strange Addiction' (I think that was the thing he was on) who not only loved his car, he loved his car.

The other I was just trying to convey how incredibly creepy I found wig lady's bf by suggesting he'd make such a thing as a taxidermy diorama depicting the infamous clown rape episode of Little House on the Prarie (yes, there was one, if that's the part that was confusing - I did not invent that).

Edited by beezer, Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:37 PM.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

There was clown rape on Little House? Either I missed that ep or blocked it out. I watched most of the Wig Lady, but somehow missed Creepy B/F's plans to....well, I don't think that bears repeating! Damn..

Funny you should mention the guy in love with his car Chase, in relation to the washing machine guys because that's what I was thinking too. Eww. From now on, I think anytime I hear of anyone collecting or becoming obessed with items (like Cabbage Patch dolls) I'm sure I'll immediately imagine some weird kinky shit going down.

Thanks a bunch, TLC (which I now call "The Loony Channel") for perverting my mind, but I am grateful for being made to feel so incredibly normal and healthy.

summashannon

summashannon

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

I don't want to believe that the Cabbage Patch doll people are real. They have a real daughter they can talk to. When they're gone, someone is going to have to find something to do with all of those damn dolls.

TinkyWinkyBinky

TinkyWinkyBinky

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I thought it was pretty funny that the Cabbage Patch wife actually looked like a Cabbage Patch doll.

litttlemommy

litttlemommy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

My favorite part was when the husband was talking through the doll and the screen said "Kevin So and So", as if he were a real and separate person being interviewed.

BananaPancake

BananaPancake

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

Summashannon-

The cabbage patch people and their sane daughter were on Anderson Cooper's daytime show the other day. She said when her parents pass the collection is headed straight to eBay. When Anderson asked if Kevan would be sold on eBay she said she would probably keep Kevan in a bag on a closet shelf or something of that nature. Hopefully she remembers the air hole!

lanorigb

lanorigb

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Doll couple-where in the hell did they get the money to buy all those frickin' dolls? And a used sex doll? I don't care how much soap and scrubbing you do, that just ain't right! Not sure I'm buying that he didn't "use" any of the dolls either. And they were really freaky looking, especially the cop doll propped up in front of the police station.
50's lady was kinda cool. She looked really cute in her vintage clothes and the decor was neat. Wearing the plastic bags over her shoes was pretty funny. Loved her car.
Cat people-pretty damn crazy, but harmless. Loved the cat walks in their house, and strangely the colors were kinda fun but I would imagine you'd get a headache from looking at them.
Oval office-meh. Not that interesting. Guy was a bit delusional to think the oval office would add much value to his house. Cool limo though.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

I just have a feeling that if the doll obsessed man didn't have his dolls, he'd be a serial killer. Or keep women locked in a basement dungeon. The wife was only going along with it all to please him. If he kicks it, those dolls will be in the junk pile by the end of the day.

No problems with the 50's lady. Anyone who doesn't have to have the newest television or latest tech fad in her home is o.k. with me.

BittyMonkey

BittyMonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

I just have a feeling that if the doll obsessed man didn't have his dolls, he'd be a serial killer. Or keep women locked in a basement dungeon. The wife was only going along with it all to please him. If he kicks it, those dolls will be in the junk pile by the end of the day.

This is exactly what I said to Mr. Bitty (who had a 'WTF' look on his face the whole time), and really honestly laughed out of disgust when his wife said something about "rubbing the lotion on her skin.'

She just struck me as someone who felt really, really, lonely, and was going along with it because this was the only way that he could get his attention. Notice how all huggy and kissy with his wife he became when they got a new doll. I'm sure the sex is there somewhere, probably related to getting a new doll. That might be the only time he has sex with her. Who knows.

50s lady didn't bother me much except that I don't think the boyfriend is going to put up with not being allowed to have any boy toys that don't belong to the 50s. Plus if she used the Internet she would be able to find better and more vintage items.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

I thought the Presidential guy was harmless and just a collector, maybe a really specific one. My only issue was that he felt it was okay to have his wife put on a pink suit and do the limo ride. I'm sure he remembers it as celebrating the last day of Jack Kennedy's life, but others might find that morbid. I know I did.

A USED sex doll? As if the large collection of sex dolls wasn't enough. *urp*

The cat folks'? Eh, seen worse. Ditto 50's lady.

BittyMonkey

BittyMonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I thought the Presidential guy was harmless and just a collector, maybe a really specific one. My only issue was that he felt it was okay to have his wife put on a pink suit and do the limo ride. I'm sure he remembers it as celebrating the last day of Jack Kennedy's life, but others might find that morbid. I know I did

My BIG problem with him is that he is spending money he doesn't have. A retired city worker or whatever is not really able to finance such a huge collection. Presidential items can be very, very pricey...and I'm not even including Jackie's chair or the car. Some buttons can go for hundreds of dollars each. He even admitted he "finds the money"...read: charge up all the cards. And spends 15 hours a day looking for things. That's a shopping addiction, not a collection.

AngelaHunter44

AngelaHunter44

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

No problems with the 50's lady.

I bet if she had lived through the '50s she might not think that era so romantic and cool.