Kathy: Kathy Griffin's Talk Show

• Please log in to reply

565 replies to this topic

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

I liked the bit with the senior focus group, but the firefighters fell flat.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

I only caught the bit with the firefighters and I totally agree. Three straight men on the panel is the death of anything comedic on this show. They could not care less about a Real Housewife, no matter how tangentially related (other than, "She's hot!"), or about a clip from Toddlers & Tiaras. Kathy asked the firefighter closest to her about something related to T&T pageant moms and it got so awkward as he earnestly tried to explain his opinion. The three of them should have been paraded onto stage shirtless. Anything beyond that was not gonna work.

I have to say, though, that that theme song is damn catchy. The boyfriend and I could not stop humming it last night (or any night we catch the show). I love it.

Edited by Stinger97, May 18, 2012 @ 7:08 AM.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 7:20 AM

I don't mind the civilian panel but think there should only be two of them. Otherwise they only get several sentences each and boom, gone.

Kathy's always joked that Maggie was the most popular part of the D List so she probably believes she's giving the audience what they want, but in this case I think the silent majority could do without her constant presence.

I haven't seen any ratings but get the sense that Bravo isn't going to keep this around very long. There's no buzz.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

I think that was the best episode yet, even if the firefighters were kind of boring. Kathy didn't talk about Bravo shows quite as much, and she seemed to be trying to let the 'civilians' actually talk...but she still needs to scale back on talking over them. It's almost like she's afraid they aren't going to be funny and she nervously keeps trying to 'punch up' everything they say. Still, much better than it has been. I also don't see the need for Maggie every week, but it doesn't actively bother me that she's there.

And wow, Tiffany is really looking good these days.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

I haven't seen any ratings but get the sense that Bravo isn't going to keep this around very long. There's no buzz.

They're actually pretty pitiful (like, beaten-by-"Swamp People"-repeats pitiful), which saddens me because I really do love her and her schtick. I would have thought the show would rate higher simply by virtue of being on Bravo, but it's so all-over-the-place and oftentimes unfunny, I don't think the goodwill she's garnered from the network's audience over the years can offset just how bad the program is.

I think they'll attempt to retool the show before outright canning it, but things are getting desperate. I think bringing on celebrities would be helpful, but Kathy may have alienated too many big names.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

I agree that Kathy is looking better & better w/each episode. I kind of wish she'd cut her hair (like, shoulder length) b/c she is so petite, the big hair overwhelms her. I think she looks great for her age, as does her mom! I sort of love the fact that her mom is such a fan of the Kardashians.

I think they'll attempt to retool the show before outright canning it, but things are getting desperate. I think bringing on celebrities would be helpful, but Kathy may have alienated too many big names.

I agree, Stinger97. This show is sort of amorphous and odd, it's billed as a 'talk show' but it's really just Kathy shooting the shit with her mom & friends, and shit-talking celebrities (not that I don't love it!). Wasn't her last season of the D-list sort of a pseudo-talk show, where she'd visit celebs & do quasi-interviews? I almost didn't like that as much as what she's doing now.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Yeah, it's all over the place and struggling. Again with the real housewives, grrr. And the wheelchair guy! And really, when she did that freeze frame on the T&T crowd, I had no idea who was supposed to be sticking out like a sore thumb (according to her). The black guy? Really? I didn't get that one AT ALL, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm still watching, but I'm ff'ing through a lot of stuff. I'm just not invested in it, and I usually love Kathy. She does talk WAY too much over her panel. I think she's afraid that she might not be the funniest one and the center of attention.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I bailed when she started kissing Obama's arse. Kathy, get your facts straight before calling someone stupid, OK?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Who did Kathy call stupid?

maggie010

maggie010

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

IMO Kathy was spot on re Elisabeth. The View knew for days the POTUS was coming on which gave her a lot of time to form an accurate question. IMO Elisabeth misconstrued Obama's and Romney's on the subject and was inaccurate.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

As much as I like Kathy I think it says something that I've forgotten to watch this show two weeks in a row. Finally remembered to watch this week. It's OK but it's not great. Way too much Housewives talk and other Bravo stuff. And yeah, the thing with the fire fighters went nowhere. And I definitely think Kathy has overestimated her fans' interest in Maggie. We don't need to see her every week, we don't need constant references to her and constant reaction shots of her in the audience and weekly sit-downs with her.

Really, the D-List was hit or miss too, but it was something different which made it more interesting. Some of the bits they did on that show fell flat too but it gave Kathy more of a chance to be spontaneous and gave us more insight into what her daily life is like. This show is trying to be like The View or The Talk and that just doesn't suit Kathy's style.

Oddly I think the taped bits work the best because it's more like the stuff she did on D-List. The old folks focus group was kind of hilarious because of the way Kathy was able to observe and comment on them.

Anyone know whatever happened to Tom?

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

They should put this show on the two nights that Watch What Happens Live is not on to maintain some kind of late-night habit for Bravo watchers and make it smaller--Kathy and her buds --less of them--cut the films and less Maggie, more Tiffany--I see potential for the producer guy on camera. It needs to loosen up--she should have some of her close famous friends sit in like Rosie or Lara Spencer--Jeff Lewis is a friend of hers. The time slot is awkward, it's too long--make it 1/2 hr--- she has that boring Kim Z wedding show as a lead-in--Bravo is weak on Thursday and Friday---they need an anchor show then let this show have the 11 pm slot--people who watch Andy would watch and I think it would do better.

apgold

apgold

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

I completely agree that this show should be cut down to a 1/2 hour.

I don't mind her "real people" panels, b/c the people she's had on are funny for the most part, but maybe replace it with the occasional celebrity interview (Wilson Phillips was fun).

It would be awesome if she could actually get Cher on the show, rather that doing her "Crazy bitch, I'm Cher" impression. The best part of the D-list was when Kathy got to meet her idols (Cher, Bette Midler, Liza, Lily Tomlin, etc.), it would be nice to see her interview them.

Leave in the stand-up intro, and the occasional recorded segment with Maggie or her staff.

Edited by apgold, May 21, 2012 @ 1:13 PM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

She fills an awful lot of time with that earwig song. I used to like it until it got so overplayed and then you can't get it OUT of your head!

I doubt Cher is going to do it, but can't she even drag Gloria Vanderbilt on? Rosie? Come on, Wilson Phillips had better not be the best guests she can get.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Yeah, it's still not appointment television for me. Trimming it to 30 minutes would be a plus, it feels way too stretched out at an hour. The bit with the senior citizen focus group was pretty good, and felt like it could have been lifted from "My Life on the D List." But too much time is spent cramming in too many guests with little purpose to be there.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

aww - I think an hour is good b/c Bravo seems to bloat all of their shows so a 30 minute show feels more like 20, not the standard 22.

I hate to use this as an example, b/c the show is uneven and hasn't been funny in years - but Kathy would benefit from a Chelsea Handler type set up. I bet you all the comedians from Best Week Ever aren't doing anything - they were/are unknowns who can still hold their own in pop culture. Her 'civilians' are just not very funny 70% of the time. The best one (I think agreed as she's been on twice now) is Tiff's roommate. She's actually been better then the 'writers' that have been on. I'm thinking of the brown haired one with bangs who sat to Kathy's immediate left. She was so rehearsed and not very funny.

dirksunboy

dirksunboy

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

I think they will do some re-tooling before canceling it outright--Kathy is Andy Cohen's "Queen of Bravo" and I think it would be really hard for Bravo to cancel Kathy, but hopefully they can realize this just isn't working--even though I did think last week was better.

It's sort of like how Watch What Happens Live is so much more enjoyable when there is no talk of other Bravo shows. Last night Andy had Matthew Broderick and Jerry Seinfeld and there were no clips or mentions of any Bravo shows; mainly because I don't imagine either of those guys would have had a clue about those shows. It was really awkward when Kathy was trying to get those firefighters interested in talking about that chick from the OC Housewives and her attempts to be a newscaster. Who cares?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

but can't she even drag Gloria Vanderbilt on?

Gloria Vanderbilt is in her late 80s and based in NY. I don't think she travels much these days.

tabloidlover

tabloidlover

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

I'm actually looking forward to this week's episode as Alexis from RHOOC had comedy gold this week with her geography lesson.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

Who did Kathy call stupid?

The conservative (Hassleback?) who DARED question Obama on something or another. I've since forgotten the particulars since I have better things to store in memory. :-)

This show is trying to be like The View or The Talk and that just doesn't suit Kathy's style.

That does seem to be the direction she is going... I'd rather her commentary on crappy reality shows, not necessarily ones on Bravo.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

Tonight she tried to be a dumbed down SNL: the Junior High School version with all that fake "Lifetime Channel TV Shows" that (1) wasn't funny and (2) went on waaayyy too long. (Note: good writers will help more than words like "dick", "bitch", "side boob" etc. Just not interesting. Just not funny. And not shocking either).

I'm also tired of the "civilians" who aren't funny--including the obligatory one with some kind of blatantly gay mannerisms Every. Single. Week.

Love Kathy and a couple of the civilians have been funny--for a very short time period--but mostly, they're not.

If she's going to keep this format I recommend (1) half an hour; (2) keep the stand-up then have better guests to bounce off of. They don't have to be famous, but they should be either interesting or funny. Most of them aren't and it makes her seem to be trying to hard. If she wants to do shtick with real people, maybe she should talk with her audience--interview one of them?--or go out and find a real person that she can play off of. Or...I don't know, but this was the worst episode so far. Really bad.

And, note to Andy: I don't think anyone watches because they're hearing Kathy talk about the Real Housewives.

tabloidlover

tabloidlover

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

So disappointing. This was the worst episode yet. And I agree that her "regular people" guests are just not working out. At all. Kathy was on Chelsea Lately a couple weeks ago, and Kathy said that Chelsea would be coming on as a guest in the future. Having these people with no tv experience and not a whole lot to say just kills the show. I ended up fast forwarding most of last night.

Tonight she tried to be a dumbed down SNL: the Junior High School version with all that fake "Lifetime Channel TV Shows" that (1) wasn't funny and (2) went on waaayyy too long. (Note: good writers will help more than words like "dick", "bitch", "side boob" etc. Just not interesting. Just not funny. And not shocking either).

Could not agree more. I ended up fast forwarding to the end of the skit about mid-way through.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:50 AM

I have to agree with the tweeter who hates the audience clap along with the song. Then again, maybe they're trying to drown it out and I don't blame them. I watch it dvr'd and I lurch frantically for the remote when she goes to break so as not to hear it. Whomever described it as an earwig song last week was right. I can never get it out of my head the next day. In a Gia Giudice "it was torture!" sort of way.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

I liked Kathy's niece Clare, especially when she talked about the regifted things she gets from Kathy. I wanted to hear more about that.

poeticlicenced

poeticlicenced

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Let me first say that I love Kathy, I really her brand of humor. That being said, this show just does not work. It's too long, I feel like they are reaching just to fill an hour. Kathy just doesn't seem comfortable in this format. I really like the first couple of seasons of the D list, and then it started feeling staged and I thought she started obviously using the show to promote her political agenda. The think I liked about the first couple of D list seasons was that many of the funniest situations were completely organic.

I also think that the bits with Maggie need to go. Maggie is not as spry as she once was, sadly, so its' basically a waste of 5 minutes.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I liked Kathy's niece Clare, especially when she talked about the regifted things she gets from Kathy. I wanted to hear more about that.

I liked her, too. And she was pretty funny (unlike the other two). A couple of earlier guests weren't bad (the blonde woman who talked about seeing Wilson Phillips perform at Kohl's--or wherever it was--I thought she had a few amusing moments. Maybe they could find a guy--someone up-and-coming and funny, maybe with videos, from the internet--and bring him on for some weekly "behind the scenes" humor.

There are lots of funny struggling people on the internet--probably some who are KG fans and many who live in L.A.

I think she can get cheap, funny, interesting guests to interact with without resorting to the completely unfunny (or as last night's two men, completely annoying).

And half an hour. Even if she does a second half as a showcase for young comics whom she interviews, interacts with and heckles KG-style--whatever. something. This show could be good, but desperately needs retooling (and better writers.)

ETA: Or the first half hour a funny, D-List kind of "real life" lead up to the show for the week--someone showing KG's doings and prep for it (inc. beginning with a funny post-mortem with producers et al on the previous week's show). Make behind-the-scenes people on her RL talk show into "characters" for the first half hour of "the week behind the scenes". Then, second half hour, could be her talk show itself.

Kind of "Oprah Behind the Scenes Meets 'D List" Meets David Letterman".

Very meta. Very KG. And jmo butcould be a good formula to break it up.

Edited by Kali12, May 25, 2012 @ 10:32 AM.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Hasselbeck was an idiot who didn't know what she was talking about. She told Obama that he has the same position about gay marriage as Romney. Only Romney wants a constitutional amendment BANNING it. Tell me how that's the same again, Hasselbeck? Kathy played the clip and called her on it.

Oh Lord, Kathy... why? I really love you, but I HATE this show! Sex sex sex, dick dick dick. Come on, isn't dirty humor too easy?

And really, Maggie is just not a funny person. She's an old lady who might say something bad (like your old aunt at thanksgiving). How is that funny? I cringe and want her off. And I'm sick to death of the jokes about her wine box and drunkenness. And now I don't even believe that she drinks at all anymore except for schtick.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 12:20 PM

I love Kathy but I find myself tuning out after her monologue.
Cut the show to 30 minutes and riff on reality tv & pop culture w a special guest every week.
That's a show I would watch.
Oh wait I already do. It's called Watch What Happens Live.

And I co-sign on the annoying theme song.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

I'm throwing my lot in with those who felt this last episode was the worst so far. And you know what? I actually know who Todd Glass is - he's a fairly successful stand-up comic (he was sitting to the left of niece Claire) - and yet, even he couldn't bring anything to the discussion. The format just doesn't seem to work.

So, trying to figure out how it could work - I'm thinking keep the opening monologue, but drop the constant pimping of Real Housewives shows. Then move onto a one on one interview. Just one guest. Whether it's someone she knows or some semi-famous D-lister, or what have you. Having three civilians on at a time doesn't work. But she did fairly well with one-on-one interviews with Lily Tomlin and Bette Midler.

Then - why not feature some up and coming stand-up comic? Give someone a shot at the mike. They could even do a sort of "open mike" thing with the audience. Then that person could sit down and chat with Kathy and they could discuss the material the comic just did and their own experiences in stand-up. That would actually be pretty interesting!

I don't think they're utilizing Kathy for what she's best known for and what she's best at doing - stand-up. The round table discussions about trivia, pop culture and the latest RH episode just isn't working and it needs to be dropped.

Oh, and drop Maggie too. I don't mind the occasional Maggie story in the monologue but having Maggie sitting right there kind of ruins it.

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Oh Lord, Kathy... why? I really love you, but I HATE this show! Sex sex sex, dick dick dick. Come on, isn't dirty humor too easy?

I love Kathy too, and I don't actually hate this show, but I agree about the easy sex jokes. She even mentioned that on last night's show -- she mentioned reading people's "twats" for the millionth time and not a single person laughed, and she said something like, "You guys are so jaded. You're like, 'I remember when that was shocking.'" Yes, exactly Kathy -- do something about it!

ETA: I'm not saying she should stop the dick jokes altogether. That's what she does and I love her for it, but when she uses the exact same jokes time and time again it gets tiresome.

Edited by canter, May 25, 2012 @ 3:05 PM.