Kathy: Kathy Griffin's Talk Show

• Please log in to reply

565 replies to this topic

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:01 PM

Love the new theme song, "I'll say it for you"! And, you do, Kathy! You do it so well!

Yeah, it's a cute song, but definitely reminds me of another. On an episode of Frasier where Frasier is determined to come up with a new "jingle" to introduce his radio show, he of course goes over the top and hires an orchestra to perform an operatic creation that goes on and on and on. His dad, Martin, comes up with a little ditty, "I'm Listening", that is short and to the point. It's Martin's jingle that is the forerunner to Kathy;'s themesong!

"What's new, I'm listening, Feelin' blue, I'm listening. Feelin' sad, feelin' mad, feelin' glad, feelin' bad, I'm listening."

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Another bad show for me. Slightly better than the first but still a mess. And at this point I have to hope it fails. Because I don't think that just poor ratings will change BRAVO's mind to treat it as yet another vehicle to pimp the networks famewhore shows. Some of us either no longer or never did and never will watch these shows that I find Kathy and the show giving way too much attention to. Again, wonk-eyed donkey grin Cohen and his useless ADHD horror is there to fulfill that role. Maybe if I hear she and the show actually try to be a talk show and not just another thinly disguised infomercial for BRAVO's crap I'll check back in.

I also find that when the show doesn't try to fluff viewers for the Real Housewives, it deals with really silly slight topics. I'm not expecting foreign policy critique vis-a-vis Syria and the French government. But Wilson Philips? Again? I'm pretty sure other shit happened in the week that could merit a fun scathing silly discussion.

I always see Lance Bass and think there must be something non-creepy, pathetic and attention seeking to the point of desperation each time I see him with Kathy. And then he opens his mouth and he goes back to someone I just find sad at best and disgusting pretty much all the other times. That or he has the worst ability to chose most of his social acquaintances. Kris Jenner? Really? I guess she makes the perfect dining companion when you have a history of trying to Real World date your way into the tabloids when Clay Aiken steals your coming out thunder back in the day.

jetty

jetty

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Thought it was an improvement over last week's show, but still needs some work. Don't really mind the panel, but they've really got to make sure the individuals there have something to contribute. Why isn't Kathy getting some of her comedian pals to come on, like Michael McDonald?

dimo

dimo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Heebie jeebie, I could not agree with you more!

Maybe I've watched too much of her over the years, but it seems like she has become "repeat-repeat-repeat!"

She reminds me of Joan Rivers. She's been around so long, I have heard it all before and they become not funny, canned and...BORING BORING BORING !!

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

I enjoyed last week but this week was a mess.

Ryan the civilian was a dud.

I used to listen to Teresa Strasser when she co-hosted Adam Carolla's radio show and she's really clever and funny and can improv about most topics really well, though you'd never know it by watching last night's episode because Kathy kept steamrolling over everyone.

I hate the them song, it's overbearing. Play the version with the lyrics at the top of the show but use an instrumental version for the bumpers.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

It was great when Kathy used to tell a good story about famous people, like Brookie Shield's wedding or run ins with Whitney Houston, because Kathy's enthusiasm was infectious, she knows how to tell a story, and it was just gossipy and fun.

But when she focuses on reality TV stars and shows, it is just so dull. Usually, she talks about shows I think are so boring that I don't even watch and then when she does talk about things I watch it is so boring because I've already laughed at those people with my friends and on message boards. Obviously The Client List is hilariously stupid, Gawker has been posting about it for weeks and Gawker is awful!

I think it's endearing that Kathy brought on her neighbor, and that she has play dates with her dogs and his, but there is a reason regular people aren't on TV as panelists.

And oh my god is her playing to gay stereotypes so dated.

carolinagirl63

carolinagirl63

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

The show's OK, but it still needs work. I agree with those that say the panel needs to have more interesting people. Kathy's reality show and comedy specials were the only shows I watched on Bravo so the other Bravo shows mean nothing to me.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

And while I so appreciate all of Kathy's passion and efforts on civil rights, and get that it is her stand up schtick with the whole "where are my gays?!", I think Kathy needs to evolve a little herself. It is a small but significant thing for me in this current socio-political atmosphere of rancor towards anything not wealthy, white established and straight male, for Kathy to still lump all homosexuals into a homogenous lump. For an ally to our cause to continue to do so seems so old and even, completely unintentional I know, narrow minded. I'm not a gay person. I'm a person who happens to be gay. If we can't get people on our side to stop, even in fun and comedy, to think we act and react as a single mass, how the hell are we going to push back the likes of the Mitt Romneys and Rick Santorums in the world? And on a more superficial note, I am humorously insulted to think that I am automatically assumed to have watched a single episode of The A-List. Sorry Kathy. I missed the orders from the Grand Fabulous Leader on high. That and I loathe that Reichen creature and refuse to watch anything he appears on.'

Oh, I'm right there with you. I am so tired of Kathy's mentality that gays should be funny and cute and there for her enjoyment. As much as I enjoy Kathy I hate the fact that she marginalizes gays. This shit has got to stop. It seems to be the current version of Stepin Fetchit/Amos and Andy. The truth is we are fun and boring, cute and ugly, enjoyable and repulsive, smart and stupid, witty and inane. Just like straight people. Imagine that.

Reichen who? I have banished him from my memory bank. And Rodiney too. But sadly, I cannot get Rodiney's phrasing of "Bitch, please" out of my head. That will never be not funny to me.

(I so want to treat Heebie to a cocktail and toast to his wonderful posts.)

Again, wonk-eyed donkey grin Cohen and his useless ADHD horror is there to fulfill that role. Maybe if I hear she and the show actually try to be a talk show and not just another thinly disguised infomercial for BRAVO's crap I'll check back in.

Now that's just fucking funny. You described Andy to a T. I'm not usually a fan of gender-fucking, but your reference to Andy as a "she" was so spot on. She's such a self-entitled sanctimonious little bitch, who doesn't give a shit about quality as long as it brings in the bucks.

But I love this show. It's the show I've been dreaming of. Someone who tears apart pop culture. It is the show that I thought Rosie should have done. I can't think of two celebs who have their pulse on reality TV more that Kathy and Rosie. I wish they had teamed up.

I love the opening monologue, the theme song, the set and the remotes. I can't remember the last show that gave me such pleasure. And I'm a hard nut to crack. There are only a few things that I would change: 1. The audience. I don't like Maggie and Tiffany in the front row; 2. I would change the seating so that it was more like a comedy club with round tables; 3. I would mix up the audience, why are the same people seated next to Maggie and Tiffany?, 4. Her guests. I like the idea that she's using unknowns, but they've got to offer something. Ryan was as dull as dishwater. And last week's male guest barely said two words. This could be a place where Kathy could use "her gays". I'm available. Call me.

Edited by Xingu, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

I officially watch too much TV, because I recognized Nick Rizzo (the producer from the East Hollywood panel) as a PA from "The Rosie Show".

The panel seemed lacking this week. I think the right balance would be to have two comedians and then a "real" person. Like a Michael McDonald, a Michelle Collins, and someone like Tiffany's roommate.

The East Hollywood tour cracked me up, as did the $10 Loehmann's gift card! I can't believe how cheap TV Guide was! Kathy's reaction was priceless.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

Are the "civilians" supposed to be real-life, normal every day people? Like non celebrities? Because to me, Kathy's neighbor = rich guy, Theresa Strasser is a radio personality and has been a tv host. And the third woman was at a "celebrity" party with a member of N' Sync.
I'm not saying these people are A list celebrities or anything but where I come from, they aren't normal every day people either.
What was the big deal with Maggie saying that Mexicans like soccer? It's no different than somebody saying that Americans like football. I didn't see how it was so funny.
I adore Kathy, I will watch just about anything she is a part of but this show just isn't doing it for me.

Edited by DesiLu, Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:39 AM.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

I get the feeling that the idea of the panel is just for Kathy to bounce her comedy off of, and not necessarily for them to trade barbs or witty comments with her.

The same thing with having an audience. She's a stand-up comedian, and unless she has some live bodies to talk to, giving her feedback (laughter), it wouldn't be the same for her.

I Love the show! WTG Kathy!!

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:57 AM

I officially watch too much TV, because I recognized Nick Rizzo (the producer from the East Hollywood panel) as a PA from "The Rosie Show".

Me too!! Both watching too much TV and recognizing Nick from Rosie's show. But it's quality programming that we watch. (Well, that's what I tell myself.)

Are the "civilians" supposed to be real-life, normal every day people? Like non celebrities? Because to me, Kathy's neighbor = rich guy, Robin Strasser is a radio personality and has been a tv host. And the third woman was at a "celebrity" party with a member of N' Sync.
I'm not saying these people are A list celebrities or anything but where I come from, they aren't normal every day people either.
What was the big deal with Maggie saying that Mexicans like soccer? It's no different than somebody saying that Americans like football. I didn't see how it was so funny.
I adore Kathy, I will watch just about anything she is a part of but this show just isn't doing it for me.

Yes, the civilians are supposed to be average folks in Kathy's life. Not off the street folks, but not celebs. But I think you're confused over Robin Strasser. She played Dr. Dorian Lord on my all time fave soap One Life to Live. (RIP). Or is she now a radio personality and TV host? Maybe I'm confused.

I really didn't get the big deal with Maggie saying Mexicans like soccer. It's a fact and there's nothing negative about it. So do Brazilians, Italians, Spanish and Irish. It wasn't like she said Asians can't drive.

Have I said how much I love this show? The theme song is brilliant and I love how Kathy boasts that it was auto-tuned.

Edited by Xingu, Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:10 AM.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

Damn, I meant to write Theresa. Thanks for correcting me. I changed it.

Edited by DesiLu, Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:40 AM.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

Damn, I meant to write Theresa. Thanks for correcting me. I changed it.

Don't you hate when that happens? And not to be a jerk but I think it's Teresa. (Heck, we all make mistakes, and if I had a nickel for every one I made...) I remember her from the TLC show: While You Were Out and I think she was connected with Adam Corolla on some show. But at least I can place her now! And I still miss Robin Strasser. So thanks for that memory. She was one fine actress. Where do former soap stars go now that they've all been cancelled?

Edited by Xingu, Apr 28, 2012 @ 4:16 AM.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

I always assumed Theresa is Robin's daughter. And did Theresa get a nose job? Her face looks different. I used to see her on a home design show, I think.

I like the theme song. What's odd is that Kathy plays it straight during the opening, and she looks like a regular sitcom actress (although carefully lit). Yet I think she's supposed to be playing it tongue-in-cheek.

She made a quick reference to reading message boards.

It's probably difficult to get the right panel. Showbiz types will hog the camera and civilians will sit there like bumps on a log. Except for Tiffany's roommate, who's from Mississippi, which I love. Kathy's working her butt off to try to pull it all together into a functional whole. She's trying so hard - I am reminded of Albert Brooks' character in "Broadcast News." He got flop sweat the first time he anchored a news cast.

Edited by pasdetrois, Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:08 PM.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

Xingu at the risk of losing out on that hypothetical cocktail (getting warm so mojito please), the "she" I meant to refer to was Kathy and her show in terms of perhaps tuning back in when it stops treating viewing one BRAVO show (Kathy's) as an ubiquitous approach to the network as a whole. Granted I do consider Cohen to be one of the ball-less wonders of the world. But I would never insult anyone born with a vagina by putting him in with them as a whole. I'm not attracted to one and find the other to be as gross and unappealing as having a three some with a Real Housewife and her spouse.

I think in hindsight the show should have started small and worked its way into what Kathy seems to want it to be and yet can't actually deliver. I would have been happy for just Kathy and Tiffany working the hot topics and then expanding to more people included in the discussion for maybe the last fifteen. It's not like there isn't plenty of cultural, pop culture and political messes to mock and snark on. Then maybe bring in the panel to discuss one main one at length. It actually would be kind of fun to have a sort of Meet the Press approach to even the hot disgusting mess that is reality show television done via one of its singular topics of the week.

It was great when Kathy used to tell a good story about famous people, like Brookie Shield's wedding or run ins with Whitney Houston, because Kathy's enthusiasm was infectious, she knows how to tell a story, and it was just gossipy and fun.

But when she focuses on reality TV stars and shows, it is just so dull.

I think this, coupled with the heavyhanded attempt to mention another BRAVO show at least three times in the hour as a topic is what I find so completely unappealing. I think part of it is that Kathy has gone from being someone just slightly inside pulling back the curtain completely and showing us the warts we all know are there but everyone is hellbent on not talking about. Now she goes after Reality show infamy. Which is such low hanging fruit. Yes it can be a hoot to get her own reaction to some of the shows she watches. But it seems like now she only goes after people who won't get offended because they are too busy trying to hide the boner they got hearing their name on television no matter what the context. I've only seen the Wilson Philips show on Kathy's show or as a clip on The Soup. And I have no doubt that after the spike of rage in Chyna; seeing the Loman's clip, she can't help but dry hump that creepy looking Baldwin husband of hers while she rewinds and plays the rest over and over again. Low hanging? I'm to kind. Try deadfalls.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I recognized Nick from Rosie's show too. Good for him for getting a job so quickly and moving out to LA. I wonder if he was in LA before Rosie's show & moved to Chicago for that. I swear Kathy was planning her show before Rosie's show was canceled, but maybe she did some cherry picking while she was a guest in Chicago.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

. I swear Kathy was planning her show before Rosie's show was canceled, but maybe she did some cherry picking while she was a guest in Chicago.

She was, they talked about it during her interview on the show.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

Just finished watching the episode. Wtf does Lance Bass have an assistant? Is he THAT busy with work?

The second episode was okay. The panel was not as good as last weeks.

But when she focuses on reality TV stars and shows, it is just so dull

Kathy does mention celebs in the beginning on the show during her stand up. I do think she is going away from that just because she is saving that for her standup gigs. And besides, she is trying to get away from what Leno, Letterman etc., do and try something different. Could she have on her celebrity friends each week and dish? Sure but thats already happening on those other shows. Give her credit for just trying something different.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

oops

Edited by car54, Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:44 PM.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

Catchy tune but they're beating us over the head with it. 2 shows and I'm already sick of it. Jesus, play it without the 5 word lyrics once in a while.

I agree that Kathy might want to update once in a blue moon. This week it was the "gay gasp" AGAIN. That's been in her act for 10 years and she's starting to sound like homosexuals are her pets. I also agree Maggie is lovely but a little Maggie goes a long way. Thank God Kathy seems to have retired TIP IT from her act.

I'll use this show as background noise to whatever I'm doing. Like others have said, she talks too much about shows I don't watch. I'm always looking to recapture the magic of her early days so in that respect I'll stay a fan but even her stand-up has been ho-hum for me lately.

Edited by ccridernyc, Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:10 PM

I adore Kathy and want to adore this show, but it just isn't clicking for me yet. It's not the most awful thing on Bravo - by far! - but she's capable of doing so much more.

I really think part of the deal is that she is basically an infomercial for bravo so she splits the time on the show between those topics and her own, but I'd like to hear more of her stories. Like someone above pointed out, she was in her element when telling stories like what it was like to go to Brooke Shields wedding.

There just isn't an identity yet. Is it Talk Soup? Chelsey Lately? So far my favorite parts have been The roommate on the first ep, the interviewing the staff on the first ep and Lance Bass this second ep. He really is handsome.

paulajean

paulajean

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

Just an observation... when Kathy used to talk about her encounters with celebrities, it was fun and interesting because it gave us all a peek into their world and how they behaved in real life. When her target is reality show stars, then it is not as fascinating because there is no curtain to pull back.... we already see way too much of who they really are. For me, this is why I couldn't care less when she discusses the Bravo shows.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

For some reason when this show was first announced I never expected it to be in a studio with an audience. I guess I had heard so many of her stories like the one where she and Cher had to call Tiffany to order them a pizza because they didn't know how---that it would be at Kathy's house like D-list--just her and whoever she brought on just gossiping. I like the show but I have had to get used to how different is was from what I expected.

I think it might be too long--I haven't cared for the filmed segments--either her and the staff or the neighborhood stuff. Maybe 1/2 hr would be better if she could fill it with just talk or her show material. I bet it may take a while to figure out the chemistry on the guests---if they aren't professionals it is a gamble on whether they can pull it off on camera, but I think she'll find the right mix if they give her a little time.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

OK, slowly we're getting better. I don't watch any of the housewives (OK, that's a lie - I have seen a little BH), so I wish Kathy would lighten up with that shit already. It's not funny if you don't watch the shows and have some point of reference about these people. I know it's Bravo, but come on.

I'm also still not loving the panel. Maybe it's because Kathy wants to constantly jump in and talk over everything they're saying. The people always seem boring, but that might just be because they don't get to really talk much.

I was however HOWLING at those audience members posing. That guy in the striped shirt was priceless.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

And now I know those are called "hero shots"! ha ha

Yeah, Julio/Kulio was a hoot and a half.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Striped shirt guy was priceless- he seemed so cranky! Then again, I might have been too if Kathy kept mispronouncing my name. (But seriously, his name was Kulio??)

I think this show is getting better- been a fan of Kathy's from season one of the D-List. I love that she rips on the HWs, b/c I watch all those shows, too.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Kooya (no idea how to spell that!) John, wasn't it? Just the look on Kathy's face was great.

And Lord, Wilson Phillips! They're good sports to do that. I wish more celebs would show up.

canter

canter

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Kathy's concern when her mom dropped her glass was cute. She quickly turned it into a bit, with the "Get her wine! She needs her medicine!" stuff, but the genuine concern at first was sweet.

Holy hell, I think I saw Chynna's taint when she was sitting on the couch!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Is Chynna hyper religious now? I think I heard her say something about taking the lord's name in vein in between Carnie's Jesus Christs & goddamnits. I appreciate how Bravo is looser with language & doesn't blur the finger.

I don't care about any of the Housewives except the one who is kicking ass on Glee this season, so I wish there was less about the crappy Bravo shows & more about the White House Correspondent Dinner & other current events.

When did Tiffany get that pageant smile? It seems she's got it plastered to her face every time she's on camera. I liked reality show Tif better.

Edited by braggtastic, May 4, 2012 @ 1:18 PM.