Kathy: Kathy Griffin's Talk Show

• Please log in to reply

565 replies to this topic

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

I think they should make her the Bravo West Coast talk show and let her do 2 nights and Andy do his 5 and she can be the cover when he goes on vacation or something. If she did it in his slot then she would have less "prime time" concerns (not that it seems to bother her, lol). I didn't care much for the office film but I loved her civilians chatting about whatever--that was the best part. Not too sure I want to see Maggie every week--maybe let Tiffany do something sometimes or bring Larry and Pom Pom to work with Mom sometimes and let Maggie just watch from the audience like Ellen's mom.

SassyCrumpet

SassyCrumpet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I really enjoy Kathy Griffin's standup routines. This show? Meh...

Could do without the "Real Fishwives" rundown. Anyone who likes that show would have watched it and if anyone needs snark about it there's always TWAP; however, she admitted the "infomercial" feel to that commentary so I'm hoping that it was only for the first show.

I'll give it another chance next week because I do like KG.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

I like Kathy but her humor depends so much on viewers being in the know and sharing her sensibilities, and a lot of the time I'm not and don't. So it devolves into so much blather about people I've never heard of.

I enjoyed the pre-taped segment about getting to know her staff -- having Maggie sit there was just the right amount of Maggie, along with her comment that some of Kathy's questions seemed a bit odd. Kathy having a laughing fit about a straight man working on ANTM and then her show was hilarious because it was so genuine.

I think car54's suggestion about having Kathy do a weekend extension of Andy Cohen's show is brilliant. I'm all about the FF so I'll watch, but I don't really see this succeeding on its own every week.

juneboy44

juneboy44

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

I liked the show! Great to have Kathy back on TV again! I agree with posters above that its good for her do a weekly show and not a nightly show.

I did wonder why she didn't have celebrity friends (i.e. Andy Cooper, Cher, Rosie, etc.) on the show but I was reading an article on USAToday where she said basically if a celeb wants to come on, they can but that the celebrity has to be able to be real and not fake!

Loved the idea of a non-celeb panel dishing the dirt! Loved the "get rid of Andy Cohen!" That was priceless!

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:52 PM

I was reading an article on USAToday where she said basically if a celeb wants to come on, they can but that the celebrity has to be able to be real and not fake!

I think that's a good rule of thumb for the "real" people, too. I liked the guy and the blonde lady, but I thought the brunette was performing the whole time. I suspect she's a stand-up comedian. There's just something about her delivery. I hope they can get more people who will just be natural. It's so much more fun when they are.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

She's definitely a stand-up. I'm sure she was on Joy Behar's panel many times, and she used to be one of those talking heads on VH1 shows. If they're really going to use real people, pull some out of the audience - don't just use Kathy's friends, acquaintances and joke writers.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

Gawker said she had a connection to them, but I'm not sure what.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

I didn't like the talk show. Boy I felt sorry for Kathy's Mom too. She looked so uncomfortable.

Better to go back to stand-up. Griffin is tops out on the stage making folks laugh.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

but I thought the brunette was performing the whole time. I suspect she's a stand-up comedian.

They billed her as a writer, and she may well be a comedy writer - but she's been a panelist on Chelsea Lately several times. My guess is she was put on to stack the deck if the other two turned out to be duds. Probably will see that every week.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

My guess is she was put on to stack the deck if the other two turned out to be duds. Probably will see that every week.

Yeah, I could see that being the case. I just hope that person doesn't try to outdo the other guests, if it is going well. The other woman (Meredith?) was a nice surprise. I just didn't understand Kathy's snarky comment to her about being so glad to be on her show. Don't you want your guests to be fun and interesting?

Kodiboku

Kodiboku

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

I really like Kathy and I've never seen any of her shows! I put this on the DVR and thought it was kinda boring. Maybe it was the expectations. Will give it a chance though.

CathinAZ

CathinAZ

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

LADreamr,
I didn't take Kathy's comment about being on the girl's show as snarky at all, in fact it made me laugh. She said that after the girl had made some really funny comments and I took it as Kathy kind of complimenting her on the fact that she was on a roll and getting big laughs and being a great guest.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I hope you're right. She has implied in the past that she has trouble sharing the spotlight. I would hope she was having fun with this. It seemed like it.

fatcatmatt

fatcatmatt

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

I just didn't understand Kathy's snarky comment to her about being so glad to be on her show. Don't you want your guests to be fun and interesting?

I didn't take Kathy's comment about being on the girl's show as snarky at all, in fact it made me laugh. She said that after the girl had made some really funny comments and I took it as Kathy kind of complimenting her on the fact that she was on a roll and getting big laughs and being a great guest.

I took it the same way as CathinAZ. Kathy used to always joke about how Maggie was the star of MLotDL. She would frequently say, "I'm the sidekick on my own show." I seriously doubt Kathy has any jealousy of Meredith, someone she has had plenty of fun with being Tiffany's roommate and all.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I was happy to see Michelle Collins on the show, as I found her to be one of the funniest talking heads on VH1's "Top 100 Songs of the '90s". I don't think she's ever written for Gawker, but I think she's friends with the writer of that article (my favorite obscure nerd crush Rich Juzwiak!), and he wrote that as a disclaimer. As for Greg, the male panelist, I'm fairly certain he was one of "Kathy's gays" on the episode of that "Same Name" show she did -- he took the other Kathy Griffin to Gay Bingo with Maggie and gently answered her asinine questions about homosexuality.

The skits were funny, but I could have watched the panel for the whole show; it felt you were at a party at someone's house. I know Kathy has said she's averse to having celebrities on, but I would also like if her show was similar to Chelsea Handler's format: Opening monologue, skits, and then an interview. Her show is twice as long (albeit aired only weekly), so interviews wouldn't have to take the bulk of the show.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

My guy hates talk shows, but loves Kathy. He came home from a meeting just a few minutes into the show. He sat and watched the whole thing. He gets such a kick out of her and Anderson on NYE. I bet I can keep him watching it with me.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

Am I crazy are is Tifanny looking like Kate Middleton?

chattycathyLA

chattycathyLA

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

I love it that Kathy's back on TV every week, but I'm not crazy about the format of the show. I don't think she needs a studio audience. I would prefer a format more like Chelsea or Andy Cohen. I love the idea that someone else had about making Kathy a "guest host" on Andy's show a few days a week. The time slot of Andy's show is more conducive to Kathy's type of humor.

Love the new theme song, "I'll say it for you"! And, you do, Kathy! You do it so well!

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

I'm enjoying this show but don;t get the concept of the panel guests. Is she chosing them from the studio audience or are they semi-professionals? Ryan, her nighbor, was a hoot! Also, did she really sing the theme song? It sounds nothging like her at all (even autotuned).

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:21 AM

Yes, I can hear that it's her voice through the alterations. It makes me wonder what my singing voice would sound like with all that help (certainly a lot better than it sounds on its own).

Mexicans love soccer! Damn, that neighborhood defines sketchy. I've heard tons about West Hollywood, but never East Hollywood. Is it near East LA, because that I've heard of.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

Ugh I thought last night sucked. I hated her panel, the straight guy brought nothing to the table, nor did the girls. Kathy was really just talking at them for 30 minutes.

MaryTV

MaryTV

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Kathy is funny as hell. The bit walking around the neighborhood with her mom was hilarious. But for the love of God, please get some panelists who can engage in witty repartee or at least pay attention. Last night's panel was God awful. Was that guy for real? So not funny.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

It's a tiny thing, but I love when Kathy refers to herself as Mrs Kathy.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

It's a tiny thing, but I love when Kathy refers to herself as Mrs Kathy

Me too!! I was trying to figure out how to refer to myself like that, but it just doesn't have the same ring.

I love this show. And I like the random people on the panel. I loved the blonde friend of Tiffany's last week, and Ryan the neighbor with the "I don't think Kanye has sex with women, or other humans" comment.

I was happy that Kathy brought up The Client List, JHo's new Lifetime show. I've never watched it, but the Fug Girls' recap with photos made me laff so hard I hurt my back. Glad that Kathy is helping America discover the best drama on tv since The Wire.

The $10 gift card from Loehmann's was hysterical.

It's like the most fun party you could ever go to, other than Lance Bass Teen Keggers.

Edited by teddysmom, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:39 AM.

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Love Kathy, but this show needs a panel of regulars (call in your gays STAT Griffin) that have some sort of chemistry with each other.
Tiffany is looking so pretty.
The straight guy was giving me Unabomber vibes.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Teresa Strasser, who was on the panel last night, used to be the "newsgirl" on the Adam Carolla radio show/podcast, and wrote a very funny book called Exploiting My Baby. I think she could be a great panelist but didn't get much of an opportunity to speak. I thought Kathy's neighbor, Ryan Steckloff, had a weird sort of anti-charisma. Was curious what he does for a living, since if he's Kathy's neighbor he must be loaded (her neighborhood looked pretty ritzy from "D List"). He's apparently a screenwriter and manager. Loved all the stories about Lance Bass's swingin' parties, and the walk around the neighborhood. Kathy is smart to tip well, since in this age celebrities who are bad tippers frequently get exposed online!

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Wow, I love Kathy but I HATE this show. That man who could barely be bothered to speak or have a facial expression was painful and useless. Joy Behar got other comics and gossipy people and did just fine with a funny panel. I'm sure Kathy can score a few d-listers that she hasn't pissed off too badly.

And really, I found the tour of the neighborhood insulting. Sorry Kathy and Maggie - not everyone lives in the Hollywood hills.

Edited by BlueSapphires, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:49 AM.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I enjoyed Kathy's guests more last week, that straight dude was a dud, IMO, although I did watch to catch Kathy's reactions to his monotone remarks.

Lance Bass is certainly aging well!

I like the idea of her having guests with industry "insider" information that she can dish on. And, I'm no prude by any stretch of the imagination, but it seemed like some the of swearing was a bit over the top and unnecessary. Example, I much prefer to hear someone like Chelsea call a ladypart a "pikachu" or "vajayjay" than Kathy using the "C" word and having it bleeped out. I prefer to save that word for a PERSON who really earns it!

edited because I really do know Lance's last name, LOL!

Edited by suzeecat, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:50 AM.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Me too!! I was trying to figure out how to refer to myself like that, but it just doesn't have the same ring.

Especially if your name isn't Kathy! LOL

I was happy that Kathy brought up The Client List, JHo's new Lifetime show. I've never watched it, but the Fug Girls' recap with photos made me laff so hard I hurt my back. Glad that Kathy is helping America discover the best drama on tv since The Wire.

I was a bit confused about what it's about. Is JHo giving men massages with "happy endings"?

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I was a bit confused about what it's about. Is JHo giving men massages with "happy endings"?

Exactly. She's a hooker under the disguise of a massage parlor. Real original, huh?