Kathy: Kathy Griffin's Talk Show

• Please log in to reply

565 replies to this topic

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 9:14 PM

I'm so proud of Eva for supporting a bill in CA to change the wording of props. I know three people who thought they were voting FOR gay marriage when they voted for Prop 8. I swear this prop would have never passed had it been written properly.

I was cheering at home when I saw this. I live in Minnesota, where we successfully voted NO on a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and woman (even though gay marriage is still illegal in our state), and I had *many* conversations with friends, family members and co-workers gently informing them that if you vote YES on it, you are being *disapproving* of gay marriage. These amendments are written to be confusing on purpose.

I think the show very much improved once it moved to a later time slot, and I'm not sure why that is. There were some eps in the middle of the seaosn that were *dreadful* (T.I. comes to mind), but it really found its groove later on. I hope she comes back for a third season.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 12:00 AM

I liked the episode. I mainly was tuning into Eva's vibe as she was so relaxed and cozy on that sofa. I mean, curled up with a pillow in her lap! Amid all that frenetic competitive energy. I became a fan. (Never watched that nighttime soap she was on. Not much for fictional dramas, usually.)

Groban seriously is witty - he could've been a standup if he hadn't been gifted with one of the most natural vocal talents in decades.

Love guests singing the theme song, just wish it had gone on for longer and maybe been a bit more polished. It was like they hadn't rehearsed it. I wanted to hear Josh go full on opera during it.

The show was a little too political and serious for me. I don't like my comedy combined with agendas or issues no matter how deserving. The on air wedding was nice, but reminded me of the Tonight Show doing the same thing. I guess they needed something splashy for the season finale. Was it that by the way? I didn't hear them say so. Usually shows say "our season finale" about a thousand times.

I liked Urban Tarzan again but I prefer if "I'll watch it for you" (My favorite segment) feature a different show each week. Then I don't know what to expect. I did get a kick out of the "L.A. river" in that clip as it's actually more like a ditch. A dry ditch at that. The only river I know of without any water in it. I grew up on the Mississippi. L.A. doesn't even know.

Overall a marked improvement during this season. As long as they don't get lazy, or rest on their 'laurels' it will remain watchable. In my opinion it could stand to improve, still, so I hope they keep clawing and biting and scratching (as Kathy has described herself in the past.) Instead of just staying on the air, I hope they try to be the best talk show of its type ever. I also loved that Kathy made even a small attempt to work not-blue.

I'm happy for them, and I hope they get renewed.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

It probably helps to be drunk when you're watching this but this week's episode wasn't as horrible as most of them have been. I think she maybe just lucked out and got the perfect blend of guests. It was great seeing Chenowith and Groban singing the opening theme song. And how lucky were those two guys to have Chenowith singing Ave Maria at their wedding? I mean, think of how much people would pay to have Kristin Freaking Chenowith singing at their wedding. They were all going on and on about Streisand, but for my money, Streisand has nothing on Chenowith. Especially these days. I heard Streisand singing at the Oscars, she's kind of past it.

Was that the last show of the season? I really can't imagine Bravo will bring it back, not in this format anyway. I think moving it to 11:30 ET kind of says it all.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 1:37 AM

I don't see why wouldn't Bravo wouldn't bring it back. It's only on one day a week and not year round. It's probably cheap too. I'm not sure if I like all the guest at one time or not. Her questions are so rapid fire that it might be better if she did one at time or maybe keep it to two guest like Andy Cohen does.

MizStaken

MizStaken

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

Well if they can work out the bumps in it, it might stand a chance. Here are my recommendations (because I know you have all been waiting patiently for them):
1)cut the 12 minute opening segment. Do a quick 5 minute monologue maybe slightly longer if it's been a busy news week but keep it short.
2)bring your guests out sooner. you have had some pretty awesome people on, we want to hear more from them, not you.
3)which brings me to point 3, less you. You can let the guests talk and actually finish a thought,there's no shame in that.
4)keep the explain this pic segment, priceless but again, let the guests explain it.
5)drop the I'll watch it for you unless there is something really worth watching. Urban Tarzan, umm, not so much.
6)ply your guests with booze, keeps them loose and much more interesting (looking at you Josh Groban)
7)consider having Josh Groban as a cohost.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

I wish they'd try it for half an hour instead of an hour. Let her get good in a short form before going to 60 minutes

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:59 AM

Don't know. I think a short show would actually be harder for Kathy than an hour long show. And for me, it would seem to have barely started, each episode, before it ended. Kathy has said about standup, "Comedians complain about finding enough material to fill 20 minutes. At 20 minutes I'm barely getting started."

I think the main thing is just to make a habit of listening and not being afraid of dead air. Maybe it's her improv training - dead air could mean someone can't think of something to say or in a live play it could mean they went up on their lines. But on a talk show it actually gives the audience a chance to absorb what is going on and was just said, as well as gives the guest a chance to set up their zinger or think how to put what they are about to say. Or even to think of a funny story. On a talk show, a pause here and there is beneficial. Goes against Kathy's grain I think, and will take time and practice to overcome.

Also, the Meisner technique: Listen, listen, listen. (And, react based upon what someone just gave you.)

I liked the fact she's been playing a game with guests and the guests seemed to enjoy it and lighten/loosen up also. I liked the style change in Kathy's wardrobe. I think they are going in the right direction, if they can work on the above, and keep working their imaginations and creativity to keep the show exciting or fresh each week. Not easy to do but they can do it. Just my view.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Apr 2, 2013 @ 4:06 AM.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

I don't see why wouldn't Bravo wouldn't bring it back. It's only on one day a week and not year round. It's probably cheap too.

For Bravo to move the show from 10:00 to 11:30 must mean the ratings are absolutely abysmal. That spells "burn off" right there. I think Bravo is committed to keeping Kathy on their roster, and they want her stand-up specials, but I think the talk show experiment was an abject failure and they know it. I think they'd be better off bringing her back in some other format. I think she'd be much better in some iteration of "The Soup" where she's behind a desk commenting on celebrity news and television shows, with maybe an occasional guest to interview one-on-one. This casual, sitting around on sofas shooting the breeze just doesn't suit her.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 9:40 AM

For Bravo to move the show from 10:00 to 11:30 must mean the ratings are absolutely abysmal.

I don't see it that way. I just think they thought their audience was more tuned into a later time slot. For me it makes no diff as I DVR it. But I do know a number of gay bars who show it who were glad to have it air later as the bars were empty at 10.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

Advertisers aren't interested in a show that's airing at 11:30, and advertising is what pays for these shows. Bravo didn't move the show to cater to a late night crowd, they moved it out of the prime time advertising block, because they hope to air something that gets better ratings in prime time. That's not good news for this show, that means they've given up hope it will get decent ratings and are burning off the rest of the episodes in a timeslot that's not nearly as crucial for them to get ratings.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Well we don't have to argue about ratings, because here they are!!.

Personally, I really liked the last show, and most likely the last one ever! Good group of guests who can bounce off each other, still the problem I have with this is that Kathy keeps cutting her guests off, which is at least awkward, because I love the Explain This!! segment and wished that the guests have a chance to keep talking, like two weeks ago, Megan Mullaly couldn't even finish explaining her's or finish her story.

I love Kathy, but on this show, I just want to tell her to STFU!

I've liked the last three shows so far, all good group of guests, who knew Lily Tomlin would be so well paired with Darren Criss (why are you so hot and NOT gay????) and Jesse Tyler Ferguson. Also really liked the Michelle T. with Megan and her husband (whose name escaped me at the moment).

I think the show is getting better, but I also think it's too late.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2013 @ 10:24 PM

Advertisers aren't interested in a show that's airing at 11:30, and advertising is what pays for these shows.

Really? Advertisers don't care about Leno or Letterman or Kimmel? All three are goldmines for their networks. They wouldn't pay the outrageous salaries to the hosts if they weren't. And that doesn't even include Fallon and Ferguson who air later.

(BTW I loved your post on The New Normal finale. That was spot on.)

Well we don't have to argue about ratings, because here they are!!.

Thanks so much. I don't see any discernible difference in the ratings at 11:30 vice 10:00. The finale got the best rating since the premiere.

I think the show is getting better, but I also think it's too late.

Sadly, I think you're right.

Edited by Xingu, Apr 3, 2013 @ 10:34 PM.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 11:34 AM

Hope it isn't too late because it was just getting interesting. Bravo seems to have a time slot to fill, and talk shows are so cheap to produce.

I keep waiting for performers, writers and producers to wise up and begin planning series for various internet outlets, too. How long will it be before Tv goes global? Internet will lead the way. And there will be so much more leeway, creatively. Worrying about "oh no what will the network say?" seems so 1950s. (I know they still have to. But not for long! /gleeful)

liesel

liesel

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2013 @ 9:50 PM

nevermind

Edited by liesel, Apr 6, 2013 @ 8:10 AM.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 1:32 PM

Really? Advertisers don't care about Leno or Letterman or Kimmel? All three are goldmines for their networks. They wouldn't pay the outrageous salaries to the hosts if they weren't. And that doesn't even include Fallon and Ferguson who air later.

That's completely different. Imonrey was talking about basic cable. Bravo at 11:30 is not network TV at 11:30.

And advertisers definitely didn't care about Kathy, the show was canceled today. Bravo doesn't waste it's 10 o'clock hour. They moved that Silicon Valley show to 7 just to burn them off. Kathy knew the show was done when they moved it. CNN is such a mess, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up her new show. I can only imagine how annoying it would be to have Anderson just giggling and trying to keep on track with Kathy screaming about her gays.

Edited by Morbs, Apr 6, 2013 @ 1:44 PM.

zippergirl

zippergirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 6:23 PM

I honestly can't say that I am upset that her talk show got cancelled. It was seriously awful and she was showing zero signs of improvement. The only good thing to come out of the show, IMO, was the theme song.

Kathy just overall needs a new shtick. Or at the very least she needs to update hers. ironically, I think the best update would be to go back to how she was when she first got on Bravo; she was way less aware of the cameras, her audiences, and her fame. If you see her on other talk shows now, she does the same stale jokes that she's played out to death (her gays, bangin' bikini bod, twat me, etc.) instead of using her natural humor. Based on her talk show and the downslide of her stand-up specials and "My Life on the D-List" I just have a feeling that the old Kathy isn't coming back.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

Bravo gave her two seasons and so much support to experiment and get it to work.

It still didn't. After two seasons, I'd say cancellation is more than fair.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 8:19 AM

That's completely different. Imonrey was talking about basic cable. Bravo at 11:30 is not network TV at 11:30.

Really? How? You lost me. The post I was replying to said:

Advertisers aren't interested in a show that's airing at 11:30, and advertising is what pays for these shows.

I don't see any difference. Perhaps "basic cable" was implied, but not stated. But the point IMO is moot. Advertisers are interested in every channel--network or basic cable. And basic cable is taking a bigger chunk of the advertisers budgets every day. Otherwise, Bravo wouldn't exist at all. Basic cable shows are routinely beating network shows. The advertising dollars are following. If, to use your claim, that advertisers aren't interested in "basic cable" shows at 11:30, then who exactly is paying for these shows? Outside of premium cable, advertisers pay for ALL programming--network and basic cable. The only issue is how do they divvy up their limited advertising budgets across such a diverse spectrum? I think the imaginary line between "network" and "basic cable" has been permanently erased. (With the exception of who can say what when.)

I'm not surprised that Kathy was cancelled. As much as I enjoyed the final show, it was too little, too late.

Edited by Xingu, Apr 7, 2013 @ 8:29 AM.

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

I think the point is 11:30 pm is not a time that Bravo is using to spotlight original airings of popular shows, it's a time they use to air encores. And it's not as if Kathy was moved there because Bravo thought she'd be able to compete, the show was dead when they moved it.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 10:52 AM

Yeah, there's a reason Bravo doesn't usually air original programming at that time. It's not a competitve time slot for them.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I think the point is 11:30 pm is not a time that Bravo is using to spotlight original airings of popular shows, it's a time they use to air encores. And it's not as if Kathy was moved there because Bravo thought she'd be able to compete, the show was dead when they moved it.

I understand your point, but I'm not quite sure that I agree that they knew it was dead when they moved it. I think that they were trying to do anything to make it succeed. After all, Andy moved his own show a half hour later to host that horrible show about the internet. So I think Andy is open to original late night programming. He just hasn't found one that works. I don't think late night offerings are off the table.

Yeah, there's a reason Bravo doesn't usually air original programming at that time. It's not a competitve time slot for them.

I don't see it that way. E! didn't see the need for late night programming until they found Chelsea. I just think all cable channels (and frankly they're all owned by the same companies) are looking for their piece of the pie. I think they are willing to throw anything against the wall and see what sticks. They have nothing to lose.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2013 @ 6:16 PM

And done. I would like to hang out with "Grobs" though.

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 8:08 PM

I feel bad for some of her staff, some of them are truly funny though. There were good elements, and it was looking like they can save it, but I guess too wittle too wate.

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 10:55 AM

Kathy just seemed so awkward in her own skin on this show.  Agreed that maybe 1/2 hour format ala Soup or WWHL would suit her better.  Maybe a weekly reality recap instead of a nightly show.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 9:19 PM

Is this coming back or is it canceled?

I've never watched it but Chelsea Handler apparently does well with her shows.  Or at least she boasts about making a lot of money from them.

Kathy is a lot funnier but in her talk show, she may be trying too hard, trying to riff or make a crack every chance she gets, sometimes like Robin Williams overdoing it.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 9:27 PM

This show was canceled in April.