Kathy: Kathy Griffin's Talk Show

• Please log in to reply

565 replies to this topic

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:58 AM

And last night - what WAS that??? I have no idea who those two "rappers" were, but it looked like she pulled them off the street somewhere.

They were like two teenagers who just smoked their first joint (the one on the end had to be high, right??), and were just giggling over everything and thinking they were the shit because they smoked it. I give a ton of credit to Russell Brand (who I'm normally not a big fan of) for putting in the effort to try to make something of their godawful contributions to the show.

My assumption was that they're trying to get more attention to their rap career and they know someone connected to her show who was able to talk Kathy (or someone else behind the scenes) into putting them on an episode.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 11:29 AM

They were like two teenagers who just smoked their first joint (the one on the end had to be high, right??), and were just giggling over everything and thinking they were the shit because they smoked it. I give a ton of credit to Russell Brand (who I'm normally not a big fan of) for putting in the effort to try to make something of their godawful contributions to the show.

You hit the nail on the head w/ that one! I kept thinking - "these dudes have no idea what she's talking about, but they're just snickering anyhow!".

I agree about Russel - at least he was throwing some witty comments out there, I think he actually made me laugh once or twice. The rest of the time I was just confused. And when the one "rapper" sucked on Kathy's (albeit clothed) breast, I just turned it off. I'm, frankly, surprised I lasted that long.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

Poor Maggie Griffin. She really shouldn't have been in the audience for this one.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 5:25 PM

Maybe Bravo thinks her act works best when blended with celebrities, which is the ploy they took with the last season of the D-list.

But the difference is, in that format, she was able to have intimate conversations with people and bring out a "real" side of them that wasn't ridiculously fast-paced and full of interruptions. She was able to talk to Bette Midler about really being more prudish, to Paula Deen about finding success later in life, even to Levi Johnston about telling tales out of school and refusing to play by Sarah Palin's rules. There's no room for that on here. I thought the episode with Jane and Lisa went very smoothly, but everything after that has been a disappointment.

LucyEwing

LucyEwing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:12 PM

This show is horrible. It's really disappointing because I do find Kathy to be very funny at times.

The dragging Maggie off some place inappropriate as Tiffany and Kathy giggle in the background is getting so old. Yes Kathy, we all think we told you're 92 year old mother you were taking her to dinner at someplace called "The Pleasure Chest" and she had no idea it was a sex toy shop.

Edited by LucyEwing, Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:13 PM.

StinkPill

StinkPill

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:21 PM

Is she still doing an average of 5 Maggie drinks jokes per show/standup special/speech etc..?

Notmuchofacook

Notmuchofacook

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 1:31 PM

The show would have been totally lost had it not been for Russell Brand--not that I'm a fan, but he is clever and witty. Those two rappers were not. The one on the end was absolutely incomprehensible and the two of them giggled like 10 year old boys. Of course, Kathy egged them on. The whole show was just stupid and I feel terrible for Kathy because I am a huge fan. I thought the sex toy shop aka restaurant was dumb, too.

kitkat68

kitkat68

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 16, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

I'm pissed that Russell had to share the couch with those two. I'm sure he was pissed too.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:04 AM

I'm pissed that Russell had to share the couch with those two. I'm sure he was pissed too.

That says it best for me. I thought Russell was amazing, the way he managed to keep things going...interesting...even funny with those two AWFUL "rappers" (especially the one at the end, who was just awkward, inappropriate and embarrassing--for no purpose that I could see, since it wasn't even "awkward, inappropriate and embarrassing" as performance. Oh, and the other one was more good natured but also had ZERO to contribute.

What really galled me was that Kathy spent so much more time on them than on Brand. Why, Kathy? Why?

I keep watching, hoping for the best, but I just don't think she (and the producer) are on the right track with this. It's so off, imo...over and over...and not in a good way 90% of the time.

Maybe she should go "reality tv" and bring in a viewer (from video applications?) to produce an episode--try out some different ideas. Something.

geej

geej

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 1:57 AM

I am a huge Kathy fan . i love her stand up. this show sux.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 3:24 AM

Russell Brand isn't funny to me. I never understood him hosting the MTV Awards since I had never heard of him before and his tales of drinking, drugging and whoring aren't any more entertaining that A$AP Rocky and Danny Brown.

TravelSlug

TravelSlug

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

So in the final segment with members of the audience, the two girls were there just to roll the dice? Seriously, Kathleen? Maybe plan and prepare better next time? At least last week's was somewhat ok, with Larry and Craig taping their voicemail messages. But this - WTF?

This show is horrible. It pains me to say that because I've been a big fan of Kathy's for about 8 years now. I've seen all of her stand-up specials, I've watched the D-List, I've also seen her do stand-up live. I even made sure to catch most of her late-night talk show appearances. This show is cringe-worthy. I didn't think anything could top the terrible T.I. show, but this was so much worse. I don't know who thought inviting these two tools would be a good idea but if I had a say, they'd be looking for a new job right now. Last week's episode could have been fantastic. Larry and Craig could have added so much interest and humor to the show, had they been allowed to say more than five words at a time.

Over the years, Kathy has lost a lot of the relatability that used to be a major draw for me. She's no longer a D-lister (which is fine, great for her), so that's out, but she's also one of the last people to be a talk show host. It's not her format. Not sure if the talk show is kind of an afterthought for her, since it seems to always be very haphazard and thrown together at the last minute. I think Maggie is adorable, but I don't care to see her get embarrassed over and over again. Also, I can't STAND Tiffany. She's given far too much attention for someone who contributes little to nothing in the way of personality or creativity.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 11:21 AM

They probably have no budget for writers or a lot of segment producers to put together entertaining remotes.

So they have to rely on her to carry the show, with her over-the-top antics.

Now maybe Kathy depends on being on TV regularly to goose up ticket sales to her gigs, where she makes most of her money. So she approaches the show as a promotional vehicle and kind of mails it in as far as preparation.

She's still entertaining. Maybe she can do some of her material where she trash talks celebrities more, though if she's courting celebrities to be on her show or become her friends, she's lost her edge.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2013 @ 7:12 AM

Holy cow, what was that mess? Did another scheduled guest cancel at the last minute, and they pulled in Dumb and Dumber? We get it: wink, wink, giggle, giggle, you're high as kites. It was like watching two middle school boys sitting in the back of class.

Horrible.

Notmuchofacook

Notmuchofacook

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2013 @ 8:30 PM

It saddens me to post this,but I am weary of Kathy's beauty pageant posing, her "aren't I a scamp" crap, and the hunky males she brings on her show. I am a huge fan, but this show is becoming tedious. I think she's naturally funny and I enjoy her disrespectful humor, but this show needs A LOT of improvement.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 3:31 AM

Another worthless hour...and it pains me to watch because I know Kathy can do better. Or maybe not.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

The highlight of the evening was Cookie Farts and Evil Feet.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Kathy did fuck up that ear piercing - way too high.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 5:53 PM

I went from watching live to recording and watching later, and last week I didn't even bother to record it. It's such a disappointment. I will still try and catch her next standup special if I know when it's airing, but the talk show format has been an utter failure for her. I don't even know how a second season got on the air. Must be part of a deal she has with Bravo to guarantee they get a certain number of standup specials per year.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

They switched her time slot to 11:30 this week, directly competing with Russell Brand (to say nothing of Letterman, Colbert etc).

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:18 PM

Imonrey, I'm on the same page you are, and didn't even set the DVR for tonight, but I keep thinking that maybe Margaret Cho being on will be a good thing.

Edited by dreamy, Feb 28, 2013 @ 10:18 PM.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2013 @ 11:26 PM

Margaret Cho, Carmen Electra and Johnny Weir. Seems like 3 guests--any one of which would make a pretty decent show since Kathy doesn't let them talk much.

The time slot move doesn't seem like a good omen.

I still think Andy should give her the Friday night 11 pm when WWHL isn't on and let her run with it. Bravo's Friday and Saturday nights are nothing right now.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 1:54 AM

I thought tonight was the strongest show of the season. Everything flowed, the guests were lively, the skits weren't too long, and Carmen Electra is freaking ageless.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:40 AM

Oh my goodness, I completely missed it. I was setting up my DVR and saw RHOBH re-runs at 8 and 9, so I just figured she had the week off for some reason.

Edited by ghoulina, Mar 1, 2013 @ 8:40 AM.

Glubb

Glubb

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

This show is boring. I DVR it and end up fast forwarding through a lot of it. I loved Kathy's D-List show and love her stand up, so what a major disappointment this has been. I have last nights show with Margaret Cho recorded. I'm hoping there won't be a need to fast forward.

mumbles

mumbles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

I thought it was a good show. All the guests were on the same wavelength (except Carmen Electra is a dim bulb and couldn't keep up, but she looked happy to be there, which goes a long way.) And I even kinda liked the pretaped bit this week - not too long, and a good use of Maggie.

The bit where Margaret Cho and Kathie imitated their mothers simultaneously was very funny.

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:14 AM

Finally, a decent panel...but Kathy, forget the stupid skits at the end. They don't just translate.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2013 @ 12:09 PM

Well I gave it another try and this episode is a good start.

I thought Kathy seemed relaxed, was polite to her guests, included them all in each topic, did not interrupt them, and not one mention of Real Housewives (wait - she did say Kyle made fun of "Chrissy Snow." But I won't count that, it was part of a story and barely registered.) Maybe Kathy needs a mystical weekend on Somers Mountain more often!

I just thought the hour went very smoothly. Oh and the Maury chunk? Is it my birthday? I ate that up with a spoon.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:15 AM

Megan and her husband Nick were great. Michelle Trachtenberg is annoying as hell.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

I think Kathy is getting better. Not sure if it's the move to later or what but she is calmer and much less scattered than she was. I think the later slot is more appropriate for her and I hope it doesn't mean she is being shunted off--that they give her a chance.

I liked the guests this week and even liked her little Law and Order film--altho it went on a little too long for me.