Kathy: Kathy Griffin's Talk Show

• Please log in to reply

565 replies to this topic

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

I actually liked this episode.

I watched specifically and closely to see signs that they had worked on this show at all. I saw some.

Her body language was more calm and 'centered' than before. I liked the intro, with her stories about the Super Bowl (even if they kind of switched back and forth once or twice without always finishing the thought; still, 'better.') It was topical and mostly funny. I liked that, when she joked with guests, it was in response to something they said, instead of something Kathy thought of earlier that day.

I liked that Kathy had the cards in her hand and referred to them. I liked her 'hostess' pantsuit/jumpsuit. (That's what they called them back in the day; the simple outfit so the host/ess does not outshine guests.) I liked the way she actually listened when "Shep" (who is he?) was speaking, and that when he was seated, she kept him seated in the audience.

Kathy did fluff the first conversation segment. She switched from one person and one story to the next a bit too often. She was not as relaxed with three people as she had been while talking with Shep in the audience. She took her time much more with him.

Mostly, she changed topics too quickly. The audience needs a slight pause at least, to soak in a story, and we like stories with an ending. One way of letting them develop their story yet keep things moving is to bring other guests in on the one topic. (For instance, asking them all if they like to bake, or what they give as gifts.) She sort of did that by tying Lisa's big belly in with the big table in Kelly's story but it was too abstract. Mostly, too many topics, too quickly. And, a pause gives a guest a chance to interject more often, or say something new. She can still take more of a breath at times.

She really did need to let go of the Chris Colfer is 14 joke this week though. Can she not read body language? He was not amused.

I agree (and body language is something experts like Dr. Lillian Glass can easily teach her.) She did overwork the "Chris is so young" joke. But, she toned down the severity and frequency of the manic smile, for which I was grateful, and in general, seemed to be trying more. If they can just keep working harder along the path of slowing down. The host sets the pace.

The "52 and Pregnant" skit was cute but again a bit too long. I was puzzled in that I don't know who Cody is, any more than I know who Shep is.

I loved the game at the end. That was fun to watch (even if I did wince at Lisa Ling's "white trash" comment.)

I like Kelly, always did, and I like her Easter Egg hair. Had no clue who Chris was, and Lisa seemed a bit stiff per usual (but, a good sport, also per usual.) I think if they keep working hard, they could still craft a show out of this. But it's too bad these are not rehearsals for the real thing.

Wonder what happened to Irons?

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Feb 1, 2013 @ 4:06 PM.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

I think her team is giving her too much material and she is trying so hard to stick to the schedule because it's live she is jumpy and all hyped up. I think less guests and less material to cover and maybe some designated topic to cover with each guest (agreed upon ahead of time so it's in her head that she has to cover it) would be better.

I liked 52 and pregnant too--it is my favorite of her little sketch films so far. WTF was up with Tiffany's face tho--it was like half her spray tan washed off or something--she was strip-ey.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

I thought the latest epi was OK, not great. Kathy had moments where she was able to listen and stay focused, but she still doesn't know how to finish a story without interrupting herself or someone else and segueing off to another topic. Maybe her improv background, where they spark off of ideas?

Can.not.stand.any.and.all.Osbornes. (Except Ozzie.) Talentless famewhores.

Poor Chris couldn't get a word in. And I hated the makeunder.

zippergirl

zippergirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

I think I need to give up on this show. It is just plain not funny.

Kelly O was so annoying and insufferable. Chris looked like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world. Lisa gets an eternal pass from me for putting up with the hijinks on The View.

Why the hell does a talk show need a "Previously on..." intro? Am I missing something? Also, nobody gives a crap about the "This Just In" segment if you don't discuss it and, more importantly, if the rest of the show sucks. I'd rather they tape it on Wed. and edit it into a cohesive, funny Thurs. show than whatever this mess continues to be.

Her Super Bowl ("rape bowl" joke died after the first time, as per usual) stories landed with a thud. This is just embarassing in comparison to some of the stories she tells during her standup. I think her general rule of thumb needs to be: During monologue, just talk about stuff you care about. if you don't give a fuck about the SB, don't spend a huge segment on it where the underlying "joke" is that you don't watch sports. Conversely, when the guests come out, don't only talk about stuff that you are interested. You can tell nobody cared about Teen Mom or Kesha. Ask them about stuff they want to talk about.

So frustrating...

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

It was weird with Lisa Ling. Maybe it was just that what she wore on the show was very deceptive, but she looked about two months more pregnant in that still photo they showed than how she looked on the couch. Her face has changed with pregnancy though, which happens to a lot of women.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

Her Super Bowl ("rape bowl" joke died after the first time, as per usual)

I had forgotten about that part (or blocked it out.) I get what she means about all the stories about athletes and violence against women - just in the past year. But, rape in a joke is bad taste. Naughty (I'm being liberal in not calling it stupid) isn't always funny. Not sure she knows that. Just not a funny topic, even if she called it the Black Eye Bowl. Domestic violence/rape/murder - oh, ha, ha, ha.

I did like the stories about her past Super Bowls although she still skipped around some, in the middle. But it's like urging on the Little Talk Show Host That Could. I think you can stick to one topic, Kathy. I think you can. I think you can.

You can tell nobody cared about Teen Mom or Kesha.

I don't care about Teen Mom or Kesha. I don't watch those 'shows.' Am I just not her demographic? I thought I was. No, I'm not gay or male, but a lot of women like or watch Kathy G. too.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:03 PM.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 7:36 PM

I get what she means about all the stories about athletes and violence against women - just in the past year. But, rape in a joke is bad taste.

Exactly. And, truth be told, if you're in show business, calling out sports for rape is kind pot meets kettle-ish if you ask me. Not as though show biz has the most wholesome rep there, Kathy. Yeah, Colfer looked tense, and I'm sorry--a comedian can read a room and she should have known it. I'm still not sold on this format...the show is just so shrill.

DrivingSideways

DrivingSideways

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2013 @ 5:13 AM

Not the best show ever, but Colfer bugged me with the uptight attitude. We all know who Kathy Griffin is at this point and what she's all about. Don't come on the show and then sit there with a 'I'm so shocked at this naughty talk' face - engage in the conversation.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2013 @ 4:13 PM

I don't think Colfer's issue was the subject matter, I think he was just overwhelmed. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I just don't think he was able to keep up and was always two beats behind.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2013 @ 11:11 PM

OMG, I don't watch Kathy's show but just happened on it tonight, and there was Craig Ferguson and Larry King together. What a great episode. Love Craig and Larry can be fun, too. I might have to catch a repeat.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 5:08 AM

I woke up at 3:30 I couldn't sleep. I finally got up and turned on tv and caught the last 15 min of the show. I checked my recorded shows and of course I forgot to record it. I checked they are not re showing it. Hello the one show that does not get replayed millions of times. It looked like it would been fun,I love C Ferguson. Larry King can be funny around Kathy. Does anyone know if they show it online?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 5:16 AM

Here is the video page. I don't see full episodes but maybe I'm not looking closely enough.

I felt so tense after watching this episode (yet again.) For once Larry gets to be interviewed. He's getting older, and he has known everybody. He would make a fascinating interview subject. And what does Kathy do? Interrupts him at least three times. Larry tried to tell a story about Lenny Bruce (who he personally knew) - interrupted Larry to throw rainbow suspenders at him. Larry tried to tell about being King of Mardi Gras - interrupted several times, to talk about The Real Housewives of Atlanta. Larry kept persisting, but it was cringe-worthy watching a guest beg to finish their story. Larry tried to talk about the inner workings of the Jim Garrison investigation (into the JFK assassination) - part of history that has not been heard before and which he apparently had inside knowledge of - interrupted, derailed, for a joke. (Yes, it was cute to ask Larry if he was the shooter; but I would've rather heard him tell what he was trying to tell.) A good interviewer would've at least brought it back; she never brought it back. King knew how to be a guest; he didn't run the ship, but even he got so frustrated he scolded her a few times.

The first time Larry pointed at her and said "don't interrupt the guest." (Thank you Larry.) The second time, he said "you're losing control right now." The third time, he scolded her for about a paragraph "I was under the delusion guests could come here and you'd actually listen..." The best interviewer in the world was giving Kathy advice. Didn't matter. It's all about Kathy, and the guests are only there to be part of her audience. And it's like Kathy has Real Housewives Tourette's. Everything under the sun warrants a mention of it. Yet somehow I don't give a fuck about the Real Housewives, or whatever other thing she breaks in with obsessively. Yeah, I'm pretty much done with this dreck.

Edited by ScrubMonkey, Feb 8, 2013 @ 5:46 AM.

itsmejessica

itsmejessica

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 5:48 AM

Thanks ScrubMonkey, I'll check it out.

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 6:32 AM

Yep, Kathy just wants celebrities to sit there and listen to her schtick. That god awful voice of hers just kept constantly poking into every sentence everyone said. I know that this is not supposed to be a regular talk show, but just shut up for a minute!

LucyEwing

LucyEwing

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

I couldn't finish watching the episode because her constant interrupting was so obnoxious and made me super uncomfortable. It's too bad because I actually find Larry King entertaining when in a relaxed interview atmosphere. He was quite good on Watch What Happens Live.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

Yes, the interrupting was obnoxious, so that and her overall style is why I don't watch her show. I'm really glad though that I caught it last night.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

I wanted to see this because I think LK is a great guest, but... I missed it and now I'm glad. If Kathy couldn't STFU and work with HIM--and he really does know how to be a great interviewEE and has a sense of humor and lots of stories (and wouldn't be offended by any of her jokes including his marriages, age, hot crazy wife, etc.)...then she's just hopeless as a talk show host.

If she couldn't make it work with Larry King then I give up on her. I think she's hopelessly bad at this, hopelessly bad.

Edited by Kali12, Feb 8, 2013 @ 2:24 PM.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

Seriously, Larry is kind of semi-retired (even tho he probably does more than most people half his age), he should hire himself out as a consultant or coach to Kathy. She is a friend and has been on his show on CNN a ton of times and he really was spot on with everything he said about her.

She should ask him to do a session with her before and after each show and try to shape her before the show--and then after to work on whatever didn't work. He's been a host and interviewer forever--I think he would be a huge help to her. She has got to get a handle on listening and letting people finish a sentence if she is going to make this kind of show work. D-List and her specials are all about Kathy--so running off at the mouth non-stop is what it is all about---but there is no point in having a show with guests if she is going to talk over them the whole hour.

She might as well re-tool and do a show from home--let Meredith and Tiffani put on their PJ's and climb in her king sized bed and just dish about reality shows they all watch.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2013 @ 5:28 AM

FFed through almost all of this epi. My impression is that LK and CF gamely tried but gave up and the epi limped along.

Kathy does indeed have a horrible, shrill raspy voice. I never paid attention during her old D List show or her standup, but it's obvious on the talk show.

And the production crew kept making mistakes, bringing up images at the wrong time. That's unbelievable to me, the kind of thing one experiences at a third-rate local TV show.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2013 @ 4:01 PM

I think she will have a new Grammy story. I remembered her bit in one of her comedy specials about stealing someone's seat at the Grammy's one of the years she went.

Last night late in the broadcast they showed some of the more famous people in the first couple rows and I noticed Kathy was suddenly sitting behind one of them--and I am pretty sure she was not there earlier.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Kathy needs to take a Ritalin or something before airtime so she can rein herself in. It's a minor thing, but it's representative of what bothers me about this show: when she gave LK the suspenders, he noted they had clips on the end and he said he didn't like clips. He was about to explain why, but Kathy just steamrolled right over him and changed the subject. As someone who never wears suspenders, I was interested in the viewpoint of one who wears them all the time, but Kathy was too focused on 'moving on' for us to find out. She does it constantly.

jumper sage

jumper sage

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 3:41 PM

She might as well re-tool and do a show from home--let Meredith and Tiffani put on their PJ's and climb in her king sized bed and just dish about reality shows they all watch.

I would watch THAT show. She is boring me in her current format.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

Tonight her guest is Russell Brand & then she'll be on his live show at 11:30 on FX. I assume their studios are quite near each other.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

omg. Kathy and Russell? that's a scary thought. Isn't she on tomorrow though?

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:27 PM

Sorry, I meant Thursday, tonight.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 2:35 PM

I haven't watched lately, but I'll tune in for Russell. His mind works so quickly, with such detailed vocabulary, I've been reading his books but always get a headache because I start to read as quickly as he talks.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:01 AM

I don't like Kathy's show. She needs to do background on her guests, interview them separately so that the viewers get to know them and then maybe have them together at the end. I don't feel that I learn anything about any of her guests.

Talented Tenth

Talented Tenth

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 9:01 AM

I don't like Kathy's show. She needs to do background on her guests, interview them separately so that the viewers get to know them and then maybe have them together at the end. I don't feel that I learn anything about any of her guests.

Scrb

Scrb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:33 AM

Not sure this is a talk show as much as it is a platform for Kathy to do her loose-cannon schtick, basically repeating her CNN New Year's Eve act.

But instead of Anderson Cooper with his mouth agape at her antics, it's guests who have to play straight-men to her act.

Or maybe the intent is to be a traditional talk show (though little evidence that they're researching or preinterviewing the guests) but Kathy can't turn it off.

Maybe Bravo thinks her act works best when blended with celebrities, which is the ploy they took with the last season of the D-list.

ghoulina

ghoulina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

I liked it better when she had real people on - and they just poked fun at celebrities and reality shows. That's what got me interested in Kathy many years ago. Actually HANGING with the celebrities kind of ruins it. And last night - what WAS that??? I have no idea who those two "rappers" were, but it looked like she pulled them off the street somewhere.