Scandal: All Seasons Discussion

• Please log in to reply

9326 replies to this topic

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

I'm unapologetic about already being disappointed that there are only 7 episodes.

I'm pulling hard for Scandal, but I am concerned about it's future assuming it's renewed beyond the initial 7 episodes.

From what I've read, Scandal was supposed to be a late season replacement for Private Practice, but PP didn't actually go away - it was moved to Tuesday night. Now PP will have Dancing With the Stars as a lead-in, while GA will be the lead-in for Scandal. Initial ratings for Scandal have been somewhat disappointing. Personally, I'd like to see the show in an earlier time slot on a less competitive night. Things will only get more complicated looking forward to the fall season. Assuming Scandal is picked up in the fall it will have to compete with NFL Thursday Night Football.

divinecomedy

divinecomedy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

Saw the second episode, and after like ten minutes i was bored. If only it had more interesting characters(or actors?).

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

Courtesy of TVLine's Matt Inside Line

Now that you’ve gotten a taste for, as Shonda Rhimes put it, the scandal in Olivia Pope’s own closet, you probably are curious about how the fixer’s fling with the most powerful man in the free world came to be. And that not-so-simple story will be spilled during Season 1, in the penultimate hour. “The sixth episode is when we find out all of the backstory, how it all came to be,” says Tony Goldwyn. Describing the revelatory hour as both “brilliant” and “incredibly well-written,” POTUS’ portrayer adds that he and series lead Kerry Washington “have really unbelievable stuff to do together. ” Having screened all of Season 1, I myself can share that the flashback-heavy Episode 6 also will open your eyes as to just how far wannabe First Lady Mellie went to call the White House home.

Calling it now: Mellie knows about Olivia and Grant; maybe she even orchestrated something with this Amanda. Don't trust her already.

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

I'm pulling hard for Scandal, but I am concerned about it's future assuming it's renewed beyond the initial 7 episodes.

Yeah, Thursday is a fairly brutal night. I was just thinking about how unfortunate it is that Grey's has fallen too much after 8 seasons to provide a really good lead-in and that people who became disenchanted with it are less likely to try Scandal. Sadly though, I don't think Shonda would have had the clout to pull this off without the years of Grey's. If Kerry Washington had been playing Meredith, would it have become a monster hit? People can say it would have been just as popular but if that's true, why is it always the same story? Why does it appear that if a show wants to put people of color in leading roles that it better be perfect out of the gates because there isn't any room for error? I just don't see how this show's pilot can be considered unwatchable or more importantly, why it wasn't something that people were willing to give a chance in the first place.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Why does it appear that if a show wants to put people of color in leading roles that it better be perfect out of the gates because there isn't any room for error? I just don't see how this show's pilot can be considered unwatchable or more importantly, why it wasn't something that people were willing to give a chance in the first place.

Personally, I can't find any logical reason for it. As for myself, giving a chance to a series for more than one episode has paid off for me. For example, Spartacus or Haven weren't awesome right out of the gate but then they had time to find their ground and then they because fantastic. At least for this fan. Now from the few pieces I read on the internet almost all the critics that have seen the whole thing say that it gets better and better as it moves forward. So I am just going to keep watching and keep my fingers crossed for a decent ratings. :)

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

You should be. ABC updated the highlights of its media oriented site. It's not for the general audience, it's for the media. Also, it doesn't updated often on the major entries/sections. When it does, you get an hint about what ABC thinks is important, and what is not. Like when then removed the entry for Alyssa Milano's show even before it was announced that the show had stopped production, and was not going to air.

That said, in the recent update, at most a week old, they changed the highlighted shows. Neither Scandal nor GCB were added to the highlights. It reads, from my experience, as "why bother?"

Also tells that ABC is not that invested/excited with Scandal nor GCB (nor Missing, River, PP, BoP, HE, CT, or APT23 for that matter). Pan Am stayed on the highlights to end of its run, when it was obvious it was going to be canceled. It's still on the primetime list while Work it is gone. Officially, neither Pan Am nor Charlie's Angels have been canceled yet, but I doubt it will be on the schedule announced in May.

ABC ordered to pilot 12 new dramas and 12 new comedies. Only NBC ordered as many pilots as ABC, and they have far more holes to fix. ABC with that big an order needs to create holes, a lot of holes, if they like what they see. With this new president the standards aren't really high, he did green lit Charlie's Angels and Work It.

Edited by SeriouslyBored, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Shonda Rhimes Q&A about tonight's episode and teasers for what's to come.

I am so hooked on this show it's ridiculous!

Edited by Samantha84, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Just watched the second episode. I'm surprised the Chief didn't know that Olivia and the President had been involved. They practically eye fuck each other every time they are in the same room.

Redheaded lawyer was unbelievably annoying with the whole "OMG Stephen paid for sex!!" Shut up redhead.

I'm so into this show. I even did a little *gasp* when the blogger reporter busted them all.

agentAA08

agentAA08

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Sigh. I didn't actually like the 2nd episode. I thought it was a lot of convoluted drama I didn't care about. And we have to wait until the 6th episode before we find out how everything really went down with Olivia and the Prez?! That's a single episode before the season -- possibly series -- finale. Because quite honestly, after this episode I was pretty disgusted with Olivia's love for Grant. He's a total creep! Yet every time she'd just look at him she'd go weak in the knees and couldn't function like a normal being; and quite frankly I want to know why right now. Or if at least not now, start building up to it by the next episode so I can continue to care by the end of the season. Because that really is the big story here, right? The side projects with the gay Marine, the Golden Girl-aged Heidi Fleiss of DC and the other TBD scoundrels who need rescuing are just things to do until we figure out what brought them together in the first place. And this mess with Amanda is just a lead in to the real scandal here.

I will support this show until it's over with because I like Kerry Washington. I like having something to look forward to watching on Thursday nights. I like that the lead is an African-American female and I will support her because it's freaking 2012 and about time we saw more people of color, especially female people of color in successful lead, respectable roles on TV. The show is only 2 episodes in and still has a lot to figure out, as do all shows, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

On the side though, I know Olivia is all big and bad and powerful, but I need the men to get some personalities. I've learned a couple names, but all the men in Olivia's little circle are all pretty one note right now. I like the redhead. She's annoying at her worst, amusing at her best. But Columbus Short is being WASTED, I tell you. Utterly WASTED.

And no more references to the bearers of personified articles of clothing, please. Last week it was gladiators in suits. This week it's all about Olivia being the one who wears the white hat. Next week better not be about the magic red heels that Olivia clicks together to make all the pieces fall into place. Shonda...come on, girl.

Edited by agentAA08, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:35 PM.

Sparkalie

Sparkalie

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I really love this show too! (and your use of the word "eyefuck")

It was adorable how Olivia tried to bribe the guard with red velvet cupcakes. That's totally something I would do. I wish there had been more Desmond (I can't remember his name on the show so I'm calling him by his "Lost" name).

So I guess Paris Gellar (again, I suck with names) really was being watched in her apartment. I'm seeing something brewing with new girl and reporter guy.

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

I'm loving this show! I don't care if I sound shallow - I like the wardrobe, the cast (with the exception of Red Head), the seedy stories, the heated chemistry. Can't wait for more. Actually, while I wait breathlessly for more background story on Liv and the President, I'm interested in knowing more about the tech guy on the team.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

I'm surprised the Chief didn't know that Olivia and the President had been involved. They practically eye fuck each other every time they are in the same room.

This 100%. Meredith's dad still clueless as ever (Yes I know his name is Cyrus but lol).
Good gracious Olivia and Grant are hot as Hell! That is what you call sexual tension, it's palpable and radiating off them. How can anyone in the same room with them not feel it?
Shallow of me or whatever but I want to see a flashback of these two because the sex must have been amazing! I mean this man must be good, he just touches Olivia's pinky finger and she comes damn near undone. Smoking ass hot, man!

Either I have a dirty mind or the writer does. Why? The cupcake line the security guard threw out. (Paraphrasing) The president has reinstated Olivia's credentials to get back into the white house - the guy says he doesn't know what kind of cupcakes she have him. I hollered and said "The best kind". lol.

Edited by Samantha84, Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:35 PM.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

At this point I'm in for the whole 7 based just on the strength of the President/Olivia relationship. I've not been overly impressed so far with the case of the week.

And Abby (is that the red head?) has to be the most annoying character on television. Her attitude with Steven about the call girls and the way she addressed it just made her look childish. And can the writers be a little bit more creative with her dialogue? I've about had it with her putting down the women she's investigating. Even if it's true it doesn't need to be said so crassly. I just want to reach through my tv and shake some sense into her.

Also, I know Quinn the new girl is supposed to be our in and ask the questions the viewers want to know but I've found that those kind of characters in general just don't work for me and the writers are so in your face with it that it's even more grating than usual.

This show has it's moments of brilliance. It's just too bad they're so few and far between.

Edited by SanLynn, Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

I thought this episode was better than the pilot so I hope they keep the momentum going. The speeches have to be toned down though. A lot of times it doesn't sound natural and I just want to roll my eyes. Who talks like that?

I didn't mind the Madam storyline, it wasn't totally captivating but I'm not sure it's suppose to be. I think most of these cases will be ways to get Olivia into Grant's orbit so that we get to see the chemistry and angst. I do have to say that the chemistry between those two is pretty intense.

The redhead obsessing over Stephen was stupid but I did like her reaction to finding out what everything meant. I'm still trying to find out what speaking Greek means? Does going to the islands mean black girl? And I'm not sure I want to know what around the world means.

Random point but Grant doesn't have any eyebrows...why?

Didn't mind the new girl either this episode. She caught on quick when she put her mind to work.

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

The redhead obsessing over Stephen was stupid but I did like her reaction to finding out what everything meant. I'm still trying to find out what speaking Greek means? Does going to the islands mean black girl? And I'm not sure I want to know what around the world means.

Let me know when you find out because I have no idea and was too embarrassed to ask.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

Let me know when you find out because I have no idea and was too embarrassed to ask.

Trust me when I say that you don't want to know. I googled it and now I wish I hadn't

allyw

allyw

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

I feel so old and I'm only in my late 20's cause I've never heard those terms before. I had to go actually look them up at urbandictionary.com and speaking Greek and going to the island both mean anal and around the world is stopping where you started after making pit stops at all three "locations".

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

But why going to the islands for that?

sunny day and hardwood floors make sense but really?

I do get the Greek thing though. I wouldn't feel old. I'm in my early 20s and still had no freaking clue.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:46 PM.

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

Why does it appear that if a show wants to put people of color in leading roles that it better be perfect out of the gates because there isn't any room for error?

Now, all shows need to be perfect out of the gate. It they aren't they can't compete. People just have too much offer to hold on waiting for something to improve. Even when they seem perfect out of the gate, new shows are always more vulnerable than established shows, to bad episodes. Two in a row and ratings just start an unstoppable downwards spiral.

With Scandal the added problem is not the lead, IMO, is the creator. When GA went from 9, during S2, where only one episode had a rating bellow 9, to a 2.8, you know just how many TV viewers no longer trust the show runner, and require the show to be call perfect before they even try. It's around 6% of all the people between 18 and 49 living in the US. That is higher than the ratings of the majority of the shows on primetime.

Even among the people still watching GA there seems to be a lot of trust issues. If viewers don't trust the creator, and the creator has such a personality cult as Shonda Rhimes, they demand perfection before committing. Shonda took 2.5 seasons to break her perfect show, but once she broke it, she could never totally fix it again. That is what is really hurting Scandal, IMO.

Something that the sensors would hope would happen. People that get it might not be scandalized, people that might get scandalized probably wouldn't get it. At least until they looked it up, online, in the Urban Dictionary.

It involves partying at alternative locations than the one intended for successful reproduction. Euphemistic enough?

Edited by SeriouslyBored, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:48 PM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

I am also in on the full 7 and hopefully more! I also tuned in just for Kerry, but her Pope Posse is why I'm staying. (Yes, POTUS/ Olivia are hot, he's a dirty, no-good, serial cheater, no matter his claims of OTL for Our Gal tonight.)

Huck: Is it wrong I got turned on when he move to Josh Molina? "Don't. Touch her." Just so much I want to find out about!
Quinn: Stop apologizing and questioning the boss, esp. if you have such a raging girlcrush on her. Oli knows what's up and she's trusting you with something to do besides fetching beverages for "small business" owners. Also, quit clutching your pearls over meeting a madame. Clutch 'em if you walk in on someone doin' something from the list, maybe, but it's 2012 and *you* wanted big girl panties in freakin' Washington D.C.

Abby: Shoulda spoke up when he was single, so leave Stephen's dalliances be. She is funny and opinionated, but I hope she keeps some of her edges; it's refreshing.

Harrison: Massively, criminally underused. *BUT* it is only episode 2. I hope the funny and kickass dude I saw in The Losers gets to show up.

Cyrus, Rosen, FLOTUS, and Chambers are interesting to me because they are all on the 'Olivia Pope is teh BAHM!' train. I was also on the 'FLOTUS gotta know something' train after how she trailed the 'Get Olivia' line; I was thinking she was the one to tip off about Mimi Kennedy's business in order to block something of her hubby's.

ToukieSmith

ToukieSmith

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

I was also on the 'FLOTUS gotta know something' train after how she trailed the 'Get Olivia' line; I was thinking she was the one to tip off about Mimi Kennedy's business in order to block something of her hubby's.

I think she knows too. Heck, I think she set it up because she knew the relationship would help her get into the White House. Wives always know.

This episode was much better than the pilot.

agentAA08

agentAA08

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

I can understand the Shonda hate, but at the same time I don't put blame entirely on her. This is a business, and you supply and demand. On top of that, she works and plays in a risk-saturated business, and at the end of the day, characters get cut, writing gets sloppy, couples get broken up, etc because it's just pure and utter soap. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing stays the same forever in the soap world. And from my experience with daytime soaps, I've just come to the blunt belief that if the audience doesn't like the show, they should quit watching and let it die off. It's not noble to stick out to the end then rail against how awful the writers are. Turn the TV off; it's more effective that way.

Not only that, but Grey's Anatomy is into it's what, 8th or 9th season now, right? It's way past overdue to be canceled. You can't expect it to be even remotely at where it was 5 or 6 seasons ago. IMO no show should go past season 5 or 6. Most shows hit their peak in their 2nd or 3rd season, flounder in their 4th and if they're good enough, rise in their 5th if there's any question that the show might be on its last legs. If they're not good enough in the 5th season, they just bob along and only the absolutely faithful stick around. If they make it even beyond that, it's only because writers and execs are trying to squeeze every last dime they can out of a good thing, and audiences refuse to let go, giving them even more reason to try to get more out of it.

So while I can understand the frustration with Shonda, I don't put it all on her, and I'm not going to hold it against her for this show. Scandal is a fresh new start for her, and for her fans, if she has any remaining. If the writing is solid, the acting igood, and the storylines compelling, the show only deserves a handful of seasons, and then we move on.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

Why does it appear that if a show wants to put people of color in leading roles that it better be perfect out of the gates because there isn't any room for error?

Now, all shows need to be perfect out of the gate. It they aren't they can't compete. People just have too much offer to hold on waiting for something to improve. Even when they seem perfect out of the gate, new shows are always more vulnerable than established shows, to bad episodes. Two in a row and ratings just start an unstoppable downwards spiral.

The important difference here is when a show like Scandal doesn't make it, that sends a strong signal to the people who green light TV shows that there is no market for hour-long dramas that feature a black solo female lead. And several years from now Kerry Washington joins Teresa Graves as the answer to a trivia question.

I think she (the FLOTUS) knows too. Heck, I think she set it up because she knew the relationship would help her get into the White House. Wives always know.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the FLOTUS set up the relationship between the POTUS and Olivia, but I do believe she knows something is going on. Decades after the fact, there are rumors to suggest that Jackie Kennedy tolerated Jack's many purported booty calls, supposedly with the full cooperation of a media culture that chose to turn a blind eye to his extra-curricular activities. In the current age of no-holds-barred social media, it is difficult to believe that the FLOTUS has no clue that her husband may be fooling around. Assuming she does know, there is nothing she can do about it without ruining his presidency and pulling the plug on her own nice priviledged lifestyle as First Lady.

Edited by getawayjordan, Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:08 AM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

But why going to the islands for that?

Becuase, according to google, it's a treat and mostly does not happen often. Thanks for whoever defined "around the world".

I saw the episode last week via Hulu and abc.com but I still watched last night. I really liked this more than the pilot and I'm in for the rest of the 5 episodes. All of my friends and I are praying that it gets a second season.

I, too, think that Gideon and Amanda have something cooking behind the scenes. Something is wrong with her. I feel like she is purposely trying to ruin Fitz, there's no love on her part at all. The madam storyline was ok. Abby annoyed with all of her judginess m but I liked the way that Harrison shut her down by (rightly, IMO) pointing out that pretty much everyone pays for sex at some point in time.

Fitz and Olivia are smoking. That whole hand touching scene just said it all.

Btw, for those wondering what was said between Karen and the SCOTUS nominees, you can catch some of it if you out on the closed captioning.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:59 AM

Funnily enough, I knew what around the world meant, but not going Greek.

I liked the way that Harrison shut her down by (rightly, IMO) pointing out that pretty much everyone pays for sex at some point in time.

Me too. I also loved the judge being like "y'all are too childish."

I really like seeing Grant ache for Olivia. That "Liv, please ..." My God. And I did believe him when he said she was the love of his life.

Re: Gideon and Amanda, I agree that something is up. They wouldn't introduce him like that if he wasn't going to pop up again.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

I really like seeing Grant ache for Olivia. That "Liv, please ..." My God.

My God, indeed. That scene floored me. Also, Grants near pleading for Cyrus to truly understand how he feels about Olivia and his unwillingness to discuss it any further. The heart wants what it wants despite circumstances as well as Olivia flatly denying him what he longs for. However, he made no apologizes for those feelings. In that moment, you actually feel for the guy.

Edited by Hughes, Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:21 AM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I really like seeing Grant ache for Olivia. That "Liv, please ..." My God.

My God, indeed. That scene floored me. Also, Grants near pleading for Cyrus to truly understand how he feels about Olivia and his unwillingness to discuss it any further. The heart wants what it wants despite circumstances as well as Olivia flatly denying him what he longs for. However, he made no apologizes for those feelings. In that moment, you actually feel for the guy.

That scene floored me too. The chemistry between Kerry and Tony is amazing!
I don't know if it's just Tony's acting or what but I believe that he's in love with Olivia and that she is the love of his life. If he wasn't President I think he'd be with her.

PS: Anyone know if episode 3 will be available online like episode 2? I'm jonesing for it after watching that promo.
Olivia, Grant, Cyrus, Mellie, and VP's chief of staff all in the same room? Delicious, cannot wait!

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Wait, are you guys saying there are only 7 episodes? I thought it'd be the typical 13 episodes most midseason shows get, but then the show did start pretty late. Hell, if it's just 7 I am all in, that's not enough time to get totally bored. I agree that Thursdays are crowded but this is a pretty good show for recording and watching on the weekends.

Having screened all of Season 1, I myself can share that the flashback-heavy Episode 6 also will open your eyes as to just how far wannabe First Lady Mellie went to call the White House home.

Calling it now: Mellie knows about Olivia and Grant; maybe she even orchestrated something with this Amanda. Don't trust her already.

I'm kind of ambivalent about this, it's a pretty standard "it's OK if he cheats because his wife doesn't love him anyway, she just wants him for his money/social status/etc", but eh, it's not unrealistic. And the show is laying it thick with the "true love" stuff, it's a Shonda show after all. I mean, that closing scene with the subtly drawn (ahem) parallel between the judge/his wife and Olivia/the Pres? Damn.

I love Mimi Kennedy (Dharma's mom!) so this episode held my interest a little better than the pilot, but I still didn't really care about anything other than Olivia and the Pres (whose chemistry remains off the charts), not even about his other mistress. The redhead is still annoying, but frankly she's the only one who has actual personality traits (overly peppy, maybe naive or prudish as well) and actual emotions (in love with Desmond) so that's something. Everyone else is a total blank, even New Girl is just the new girl. Eh.

Oh and I did love seeing Matt Letscher, I really enjoyed his rapport with Olivia. Their interactions and the overall way his character treated her was the most organic way in which Olivia has been shown to be competent and skilled, in my opinion. With the Pres it's all about anguished looks, with Cyrus(?) it's an almost inappropriate fondness, with Josh Malina it's lawyerly "I'm better than you" stuff, all of which is not exactly flattering. With Matt Letscher's character she was pleasant, jovial even, but professional and you could see they were two power players working to help the President.

Edited by Princess Lucky, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

Me too. I also loved the judge being like "y'all are too childish."

I was confused by that scene, as I thought Harrison went along because he could charm her. And she didn't seem that charmed - other than that little wave between them.

Gideon is a cutie. I don't know if something is up between him and Amanda, but I knew it wasn't the end of the story when New Girl dismissed him from the hospital. I was a bit dense towards the end, wondering where the hell he came from, but then it dawned on me that he was the one following Amanda. I want to see how Olivia handles it, since, despite his threat, he really doesn't have anything besides speculation. OTOH, all kinds of wrong (or right) information can go viral with social media at hand.

I thought the scene between Olivia and Amanda was well done, and Kerry really sold the remorse she felt. But as I stated before, I don't feel too sorry for Amanda - she knowingly and willingly entered into an inappropriate relationship with a married politician. For her to think she was "speshul" was naive at best and idiotic at worst.

And ditto to Tony and Kerry having ridiculous chemistry. I do enjoy seeing black women pined for...doesn't happen often on TV. Tony is really doing a good job making his character sympathetic, even though he's a lying liar who lies. At least when it comes to relationships. I do believe him on Olivia being the love of his life.

As mentioned upthread, the Fitz/Olivia relationship is the main draw for me, though I also enjoy watching Olivia interact with Cyrus and other Presidential staff. The plots of the week are inconsequential, and I'm not yet that interested in the rest of the Pope and Associates staff.

ETA:

I love Mimi Kennedy (Dharma's mom!)

THAT'S why I recognized her, but couldn't place her! Oh, thank goodness.

Oh and I did love seeing Matt Letcher

I always remember him from The Mask of Zorro. Heh.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:23 AM.

cheri

cheri

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

And ditto to Tony and Kerry having ridiculous chemistry. I do enjoy seeing black women pined for...doesn't happen often on TV. Tony is really doing a good job making his character sympathetic, even though he's a lying liar who lies. At least when it comes to relationships. I do believe him on Olivia being the love of his life.

My thoughts exactly. I generally hate adultery story lines, but Kerry and Tony Goldwyn are knocking their scenes out of the park. And Tony really sold that Oval Office scene with Cyrus at the end of episode 2.

Ratings news from Spoiler TV. I don't know enough about how this business works to tell whether I can be hopeful about renewal:

In week two news, drama Scandal on ABC won the 10 p.m. hour with a 5.6/10 in the overnights. While most new shows slip in the vicinity of 10 to 20 percent in their second telecast, Scandal was virtually on par from its week-ago debut (5.8/10 on April 5), and retention out of the 9:30 p.m. portion of Grey’s Anatomy (7.1/11) was adequate at 79 percent. Keep in mind, though, that Scandal faced a repeat of Person of Interest on CBS (and not an original installment of regularly scheduled The Mentalist). If recent time period occupant Private Practice scores out of Dancing With the Stars on Tuesday (and the lead-in support certainly will not hurt), Scandal could snag a second season.

Edited by cheri, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:51 AM.