Scandal: All Seasons Discussion

• Please log in to reply

9327 replies to this topic

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Ratings for the repeat are out: 1.3/4 A18-49; 6.74M viewers.

0.1 bellow Castle's last two repeats that scored 1.4, and that was without the help of DWTS. Castle repeats didn't have a lead in of 3.1, but of 2.6 and 2.5.

Last year the repeat of OTM scored 2.0 with a lead in of 4.1. A retention of 49%. Scandal's repeat retention was only 0.41. Doesn't bode well.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Funny thing? Can't believe that Cyrus, the chief of staff, didn't know about the affair.

I'm reading Game Change right now. It goes into the John Edwards/Rielle Hunter stuff. Apparently EVERYONE knew they were fucking. More than one person confronted him about her, including his 27-year-old campaign manager, and though he denied it, those who confronted him left the confrontations that much more certain of it. (When it all came to a head, Edwards went to his manager and asked "Why didn't you come to me like a man and tell me to stop fucking her?" and fired him dramatically, and then three more of his top-level staffers quit.) So when Cyrus (thanks for the name) said he didn't know, I was like "You're not very observant, huh?" I could see his wife deciding to look the other way; she wouldn't be the first or last woman married to a straying powerful man who decides to stay. But his chief of staff? If he's good at his job, he'd know. I don't doubt that they tried to be discreet - as I said before, Olivia clearly knows exactly how damaging and bad it would be for both of them if they were discovered. But they're supposed to have blazing chemistry AND be in love (i.e. not just sexual chemistry) ... I think it would show.

I got the sense that Olivia just left. No warning, no goodbyes, no nothing. Got all that fro Grant's one line: "You left me".

I got the impression that she formally ended things with him, but that she cut him off completely after that - no communication at all. (Which I can relate to - I always cut off contact with exes, no matter who ends things, just to reset the system and make sure I'm over them ... and then I rarely renew contact, not for any cold, malicious reason but because, well, I'm doing fine not talking to you, so what do we need to talk for?)

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

When it all came to a head, Edwards went to his manager and asked "Why didn't you come to me like a man and tell me to stop fucking her?"

Shut up! Really? This is hilarious in its cowardice. I'm never interested in reading such books, but now my interest is piqued.

As for the Chief of Staff not knowing, I chalk it up to the "plot driving characters" trope, even when it makes no damn sense at all. Unless you're visually blind, you'd have to be an idiot to miss the looks the President gives Olivia. I don't think either of them are acting like teenagers. If anyone is being childish, it's Amanda, in my mind.

Looking forward to seeing flashbacks, which will hopefully explain how things ended between Livvie and Fitz. I don't know that I'm rooting for them, but it's the relationship I'm most intrigued by thus far. I don't know enough about the rest of the staff to care at this point.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

When it all came to a head, Edwards went to his manager and asked "Why didn't you come to me like a man and tell me to stop fucking her?" and fired him dramatically, and then three more of his top-level staffers quit.

Ahahaha that really is hilarious. And it perfectly encapsulates why I can't feel for the President on Scandal. Dude. Own up to your actions.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

When it all came to a head, Edwards went to his manager and asked "Why didn't you come to me like a man and tell me to stop fucking her?" and fired him dramatically, and then three more of his top-level staffers quit.

Ahahaha that really is hilarious.

Yep. His former manager Brumberger severed all ties with Edwards after that and didn't speak to him for years.

And it perfectly encapsulates why I can't feel for the President on Scandal. Dude. Own up to your actions.

I do and don't. I have a really hard time rooting for any relationship that begins with infidelity. And I can easily see the President - ANY president, but Tony Goldwyn's portrayal specifically - who is powerful and good-looking, cheating all over the place because he can. Powerful, attractive (and not-so-attractive) men get ample opportunities to cheat, and sometimes they take them. But I do think that if the President fell in love with Olivia as he claims, he's between a rock and a hard place - if he leaves his wife for her during his term, he ruins his life. I can believe he was spending all this time with a powerful, attractive woman like Olivia, thought it would just be a bit of fun, and looked up like "Oh shit, I'm in love." And there's really nothing for him to do about it unless he's prepared to give up absolutely everything, which ... is a tough sell. And of course, if he loves Olivia as much as he claims to, he wouldn't allow her to ruin HER life by being the public Other Woman, even if he gets to keep her in the end - he'd have a bad go of it, but she'd have to, like, get plastic surgery and change her name.

Now, the Amanda (thanks for supplying another name!) thing muddies things, because as has been said, it taints what he had with Olivia - she believed he loved her for real and yet he's calling another woman by what she thought was only her term of endearment, giving this woman a pet, etc. And THAT is where I don't feel sorry for him. And I wouldn't feel sorry for him if his actual wife decided to leave.

Edited by Empress1, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

I have a feeling that Amanda is unstable. She tried to kill herself, that warning sign number 1.
I think it was just sex for Grant with Amanda and she made it into something more. The "sweet baby" thing - is it crazy that I think he was thinking about Olivia and it slipped. We don't know when he called her "sweet baby", could it have been during sex?
I know I'm making excuses for Grant, damn Tony for playing him so well, and (thus far) sympathetic. Damn he and Kerry for making me want a cigarette after that oval office scene, even though I don't smoke.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

for all New Girl's proclamations that she's always wanted to work for the Great Olivia Pope, she seemed absolutely clueless as to what TGOP did. Way to prepare, New Girl.

New Girl applied to Pope's agency because she was highly impressed with her reputation, but never really expected to hear from her - the same way people play the big lottery but never really expect to win. New Girl probably only knew as much as an outsider can know about an agency that saves high profile careers/lives while flying just below the radar. She was aware of what Pope's agency did, she just didn't know how they did it. Only an agency insider would have that kind of detailed knowledge.

this (a black female lead) is the main reason I'm pulling for this show. I keep seeing the year date change but the racial make up of tv remain stagnant. I hope it starts a trend because there are a number of talented minority actors out there and deserve the opportunity to carry a show.

I'm really pulling for Kerry too, but the show's ratings will have to improve - and soon - just to survive. Starting a trend is another matter altogether. To start a trend of hiring more minority actors in leading dramatic roles would require huge, Cosby-like Neilsen numbers.

Then there is the wife. How much does she know? How could she be in a room with her husband and Olivia and not SEE what was going on? They can't even hide it!

Maybe the FLOTUS is not as clueless as she appears to be. IIRC one of the first things she did was attempt to fix Olivia up with a blind date. Interesting. Maybe that's her way of trying to keep Olivia busy and away from her husband.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

What's even more interesting about Abby's (I finally got her name after watching the second episode) obvious disdain for Republicans is that I'm assuming that Olivia, her boss, is Republican. I base this solely on the fact that she helped President Fitzgerald Grant (with a name like that, he was meant to be president!) get elected, and there was a scene in episode two where Olivia tells the DA, when he comes to arrest the D.C. madame, that he's itching to becoming Attorney General once there's a Democrat in office.

Yes, Olivia is a republican and so is Grant. In the first episode, Olivia threatens the DA with public backlash for arresting the republican Marine because he wants to run for office when the Democrats are in office again. So obviously, the republicans are in power.

Obviously the president and his administration are Republicans, but is there actual proof that Olivia is? In the second episode when she tells the VP's chief of staff he thought the Supreme Court nominee was "too left for the Republican base," it struck me as off, because if she's a Republican too, why wouldn't she just call it "the base?" I'm kind of inclined to believe she's apolitical, or simply beyond politics, working for whoever she wants regardless of party (and the fact that she decided to work for Grant may have a lot more to do with him than party affiliation), and her own affiliation can't necessarily be inferred from her employers.

In other news, interview with the cast about diverse casting.

Edited by 2MuchTV, Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:11 PM.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Last year the repeat of OTM scored 2.0 with a lead in of 4.1. A retention of 49%. Scandal's repeat retention was only 0.41. Doesn't bode well.

No it doesn't, does it? I am hoping people will turn in for the second episode, which really is much better and then some good word-of-mouth boosts the ratings. Because in spite of all its faults, I like this show and I want to see where Olivia and Grant end up. And I am also loving the fact that a prime time show that has diverse casting in unconventional roles. With a bit of tune-up, this show could be enjoyable. Here's to hoping ABC will give it some room to grow.

Ahahaha that really is hilarious.

Yep. His former manager Brumberger severed all ties with Edwards after that and didn't speak to him for years.

God, this guy really is such a pathetic tool. Cheating is one thing, but then to try and foist the blame on someone else who had nothing to do with it is something else! It's funny and sad.

And it perfectly encapsulates why I can't feel for the President on Scandal. Dude. Own up to your actions.

But I do think that if the President fell in love with Olivia as he claims, he's between a rock and a hard place - if he leaves his wife for her during his term, he ruins his life.

This is the reason I also vacillate between liking and hating him. The ABC bio says that he spend his whole life working towards the White House and never put one foot wrong. He got the Ivy league education, did military service and married the right kind of woman.
Spoiler
So I can see how he was satisfied with his lot in life and doing really well. But then Olivia walked in and he realized what had been missing. But as has already been mentioned, he couldn't really go for a divorce at that point. The ensuing scandal would have destroyed both of them. So they both walk away from each other and he tries to make his marriage work and fails. And he realizes that having all the power in the world doesn't really compensate for losing the love of his life.
And add Tony Goldwyn's fantastic performance and I can't help liking him.

But I really can't bring myself to deal with the fact that he slept with someone who works under him because of his manly angst. Ugh, he cheapened what he had with Olivia by doing so and will probably lose his Presidency over it. And I won't even mention his innocent children .

And I wouldn't feel sorry for him if his actual wife decided to leave.

I wouldn't either but something tells me that his wife already knows that her so-very-powerful husband is not just into her anymore but she doesn't care. She was so breezy and happy to see Olivia - almost too happy. Like so many women before her, she might be enjoying the status too much and will stay with him to the bitter end. No that I will blame her for it if she is actually doing that. She had worked for his presidency too and it is finally time for her to enjoy her hard work.

All in all, I am really looking forward to some scenes where Melly (or is it Nelly?) and Grant are finally alone and interacting without an audience. That's where we will see how the marriage really works between them.

Obviously the president and his administration are Republicans, but is there actual proof that Olivia is?

When you point it out, I suppose that she might not be a republican after all and supported Grant because he was the best( or hottest) of the bunch at the election. This might actually be a good thing if somewhere down the line she wounds up representing a democrat that the White House hates. Could be an interesting storyline. But of course all this will happen if the show remain on TV. Let's hope so.

Your Grace

Your Grace

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I liked it much more than I thought I would. I wasn't even going to watch, but some friends were promoting it and so I did. It's bad, but it's good bad, for me. Potentially a really fun guilty pleasure. Although, GA was too for like half a season and we know how that turned out. So, I don't particularly trust Shonda. We'll see.

I forget exactly when I stopped watching Grey's but I think it was at some point during the third season. It kinda had been a fantastic, soapy show up until then even with it's flaws namely, Meredith, Derek, George and Izzie, but it went off the rails. I thought about not watching simply because it's a Shonda show and I know what can happen with her shows but I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe I had low expectations but I enjoyed it. Yes there were plots holes and some things didn't make sense (Like all the gay service members during the press conference rallying behind the self-hating, virulently anti-gay marine who has a sudden change of heart that happens to coincide with being cleared of his beard's murder) , but I'm willing to give it a pass for now.

Yes, Olivia is a republican and so is Grant. In the first episode, Olivia threatens the DA with public backlash for arresting the republican Marine because he wants to run for office when the Democrats are in office again. So obviously, the republicans are in power.

Like others said, I think the president is a Repub but I wouldn't assume anything about Olivia's status. She may have worked for and with the POTUS because her famed gut told her he was a good man and good for the country.

Edited by Your Grace, Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:31 AM.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

supported Grant because he was the best( or hottest) of the bunch at the election.

I will spoil this because I am not sure if it's in the first or second episode but there is footage of someone saying that
Spoiler

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

But I really can't bring myself to deal with the fact that he slept with someone who works under him because of his manly angst. Ugh, he cheapened what he had with Olivia by doing so and will probably lose his Presidency over it.

LOL @ manly angst. But you know, from Olivia's perspective, I'm not sure she felt betrayed because he slept with another woman. I think it was using what she thought was an intimate term of endearment on some fling that cheapened it for her, on top of him never saying a word about their affair to Cyrus. He didn't tell Cyrus about Amanda, either, and Olivia quickly equated the two situations as she was leaving the Oval Office. In her mind, he perceived them as just another fling.

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

This amazing woman with all the amazing spidey senses, we are told over and over we are supposed to be in awe with, doesn't sense that she is doing a mop up job? Then, when she realizes that he only remembered her because he made a mess that needed cleaning she believes him when he says he loves her? She was treated like a glorified cleaning lady. When she gets upset, he shuts her up using her blind spot, and she doesn't even get all alarms bells ringing?

As has been mentioned, history is filled with brilliant, successful people who have lost their way for love or lust. Fitz is Olivia's blind spot and she can presently recognize it. However, I think the Oval Office scene is fairly explicit in showing that Olivia is shaken to the core because she now doubts that he loves or loved her. I clearly heard the buzz of the Emergency Alert System go off for her. I’m posting my loose transcript of the scene for clarification:

Fitz pulls Olivia close despite her begging him not to touch her and starts caressing her face while Olivia turns away. Fitz (whispers entreatingly): “Look at me. Look at me. Look at me.” Olivia: “Did you give her that dog?” Fitz: “Livy.” Olivia (turns her face to gaze directly into his eyes): “Did you give her that dog?” Fitz (leans in even more closely):“I love you.” Olivia looks at him in shock and immediately pulls away. She slaps him and backs away while simultaneously crying and yelling, “I believed you. You clouded my judgment. You made me mistrust my gut because I wanted to believe you. I destroyed that girl. She tried to kill herself-” Fitz rushes toward her and cuts her off by kissing her. . .Olivia to Cyrus: “You didn’t know? He tells you everything.” Cyrus:“He didn’t tell me this.” Olivia: “Because it didn’t matter enough.”

I can only read that scene as Oliva being crushed at the idea that she had so completely misread Fitz especially regarding his feelings for her. His motivations are the ambiguous or layered ones to me.

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I can only read that scene as Oliva being crushed at the idea that she had so completely misread Fitz especially regarding his feelings for her. His motivations are the ambiguous or layered ones to me.

For someone we are told, over and over, is so brilliant the post facto realization, is too late.

Unless we were supposed to think she had misgivings. That she asked for the meeting before to clear those misgivings, and it was the just acting that wasn't there to convey that. I will give you that.

Her being duped by the president when they first meet is in total contradiction with the special powers the others tell us she has for sniffing the truth. Again, if could be her not wanting to acknowledge that she knew. Again I would give that, and it was just bad acting that we didn't get that from that scene either.

That would make total sense for the character has it is being sold, but is damning indictment for the actress' skills.

Edited by SeriouslyBored, Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:28 PM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

I won't lie, this is the main reason I'm pulling for this show. I keep seeing the year date change but the racial make up of tv remain stagnant. I hope it starts a trend because there are a number of talented minority actors out there and deserve the opportunity to carry a show.

Me too. I like Kerry Washington and I hope this show makes it. Tv seems to be about 20 years behind in terms of showing miniorities in starring roles. Hell, I started watching Grey's purely because of the racial diversity. I remember Shonda saying that she cast actors that reminded her of real life people. The soapiness turned me off that show and I hope they don't go a similar route with Scandal.

Your Grace

Your Grace

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

For someone we are told, over and over, is so brilliant the post facto realization, is too late.

I think it's quite normal. Yes we've been told she's brilliant and her gut never lies but are we really suppose to think she is superwoman who can never act in a very human way? I'm not sure that's what I'm suppose to believe. Olivia is very, very good at her job, but people can be very, very good at their jobs and be a mess in their personal lives. She's already said, she's not normal.

Also, I'm sure Olivia realizes that no one is all good and all bad so I'm not sure when she was suppose to realize the POTUS was full of shit. It seems she was involved with him on a professional level and everything was on the up and up. Once she developed feeling for him, she allowed her judgement to be clouded where he was concerned; that could have happened before things ever got physical or he expressed any feelings toward her.

Edited by Your Grace, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:57 AM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I, too, think it's normal that Olivia can be great in her professional life and be a complete mess in her personal life. I think Kerry said it best "Olivia Pope needs an Olivia Pope for her personal life".

She's human and has feelings. I'm sure she didn't think she'd ever have an affair with the President of the US or that she'd fall in love with him - that's the thing about feelings: You can't control them, they are what they are.
The only thing she can and is trying to do is control her physical proximity to Grant. I mean that oval office scene speaks to why she wanted to and needed to distance herself from him.

My point is I can believe that her blind spot is Grant and can cloud her judgement. That also doesn't stop me from believing that she's bad ass and completely competent in her professional life.

Edited by Samantha84, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:15 AM.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I'm in agreement with Samantha84 and Your Grace. I think it's intentional that Olivia thrives in her work, enough so that people know to come to her on the worst day of their lives and want to work with her and refer to her as "The Olivia Pope," while her personal romantic life is not so on point. It doesn't read to me as a mistake on the show's part in the slightest. It seems neither at all farfetched nor contradictory that Olivia can be clearer with other people's problems than she can be with her own. I really don't think that one has to do with the other (kick ass in her professional life, while her personal life suffer).

Kerry's acting ability is tremendous, and I think that she (along with Tony Goldwyn and Jeff Perry) are making me believe in the characters, no matter how morally ambiguous they are, particularly Olivia and Grant. In the scenes with Olivia and Grant, especially after the "Sweet baby" reveal, I think that Kerry sold it that Olivia probably did have some inkling that Amanda was telling the truth but she just pushed it aside because she wanted to want to believe that Grant didn't have it in him to take on yet another mistress.

Edited by fashionista79, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:23 AM.

Gabrielle Tracy

Gabrielle Tracy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I was looking forward to this and TiVO'd it but once I sat down to watch it, I only lasted about five minutes.

That scene with the man and the woman in a bar where first of all it was a blind date, then it was a job interview, then it wasn't a job interview...frankly, I couldn't follow it and after a couple of minutes I was just watching the guy's jaw move and the only thing coming out of his mouth was that "bwah bwah bwah" sound the parents always make when they're talking in Peanuts cartoons.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I'm in agreement with Samantha84 and Your Grace. I think it's intentional that Olivia thrives in her work, enough so that people know to come to her on the worst day of their lives and want to work with her and refer to her as "The Olivia Pope," while her personal romantic life is not so on point.

I am in agreement too. I think the show first delved into how others perceive her and then how she really is. Everything that has been said in the first half of the episode is subverted in the second half. We are told that her gut is infallible and she never cries and she is married to her job. By the time the episode is over, they are all shown to be false. She does cry, albeit in the coat closet and her famed gut leads her to have an affair with the most powerful and very-much-married father of two. And she is only married to her job because the object of her affection is married to someone else and can never leave to be with her without destroying both of them.

I'd like to believe that this is deliberate on the part of the show creators. They are trying with varying degrees of success to show that people in their private lives are drastically different from how they are publicly perceived. Olivia is idolized by her team as this flawless, perfect creature who can solve everyone's problems but in reality she is a very normal, flawed person who can make the mistake of loving the wrong man yet continues to be good at her job. And I frankly have no major problems with this portrayal which of course might change by the end of the season.

I was looking forward to this and TiVO'd it but once I sat down to watch it, I only lasted about five minutes.

You could try again with the second episode. It is much better and people actually talk like normal people rather than over-caffeinated crazy people. And the case-of-the-week is much better. But yeah, the first five minutes was really atrocious.

Edited by piya, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:14 AM.

Hughes

Hughes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

Once she developed feeling for him, she allowed her judgement to be clouded where he was concerned; that could have happened before things ever got physical or he expressed any feelings toward her.

Finding out when and under what circumstances their affair began will hopefully be as intriguing as the reveal that a romantic relationship transpired between them at all.

I think that Kerry sold it that Olivia probably did have some inkling that Amanda was telling the truth but she just pushed it aside because she wanted to want to believe that Grant didn't have it in him to take on yet another mistress.

I got the impression she had a inkling Amanda was telling the truth all along as well, and was hurt personally and professionally because her gut was compromised. She made the comment that she wanted Fitz (I love that name) to be a better man, and now not only has he carried on yet another affair, it diminishes, in her eyes any significance, on his part that their affair carried. Thus her comment to Cyrus about Fitz not telling him about their affair must have been that it didn't mean that much to him.

It's a true mess, because there is no easy fix or answer to this particular problem. I love it!

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Olivia is very, very good at her job, but people can be very, very good at there jobs and be a mess in their personal lives.

That's certainly true of many people, but I think Olivia getting involved with a presidentail candidate she most likely helped get elected is also a professional matter. If she had met a presidential candidate at, like, a fundraiser or something, sure. But from interviews and the pilot I gathered that Olivia has worked with/for the Pres, that's how they met. The heart wants what it wants, but where is the line for Olivia? Married? With children? A client of hers? A candidate who needs a spotless record? A cheater? I don't know.

Finding out when and under what circumstances their affair began will hopefully be as intriguing as the reveal that a romantic relationship transpired between them at all.

Agreed, we need more info on how the affair began. Maybe it was more physical at first, she couldn't resist him and when she came into her senses it was too late? I could buy that, but it's less romantic and more human, whereas the show seems to go for grand emotions. I will, however, gag if we see the POTUS wooing her by saying "my wife doesn't understand me, I never loved her" etc. Indeed, his manly angst is a little too Shonda.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I'd like to believe that this is deliberate on the part of the show creators. They are trying with varying degrees of success to show that people in their private lives are drastically different from how they are publicly perceived.

This is exactly what their going for. Shonda and Kerry said that during the Evening with Shonda Rhimes & Friends event.

Regarding the second episode -
Spoiler

That is how you do subtext! (Andrew W. Marlowe - "Castle")

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

Samantha84 -
Spoiler

minirth

minirth

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

I saw the pilot the other night, and I hated it for 2 reasons.

1. Olivia is the most sparkly Mary Sue ever written.

2. There wasn't much acting, just line delivery. All of the characters talk the same. It's like someone got the actors together and said, "All of you will talk very fast with as little inflection as possible". Some people can talk fast without sacrificing the natural rises, falls, and inflections of conversation. Most can't. And I'm already sick to death of having to turn on subtitles to follow a show. What happened to speaking clearly? When did enunciation get dropped from actors' repetoire?

3. Olivia cured the Marine of being closeted (because she's the most sparkly Mary Sue ever written). That was the death knell of the series for me -- too predictable, too hokey, too preachy.

cheri

cheri

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

I'm not even going to try to be cool about this: I love this show. I honestly don't think it compares unfavorably with Revenge, or seasons 1-2 of Grey's. It's not groundbreaking television by any means, but I was surprised by how quickly I grew to care about these characters, despite the absurd plot lines. If you are (or were) a fan of Grey's, give it a second chance after the pilot.

Edited by cheri, Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:56 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:21 PM

Kerry Washington Interview: How Ethical Is Professional Fixer Olivia Pope?

I'm not even going to try to be cool about this: I love this show

This 110%. I've recommended it to all of my friends and got some people on Twitter to watch as well. I would say those that weren't captured by the series premiere - give the second episode a chance, it's so worth it.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

I turned to watch Castle and I was in the middle of that bar scene. I thought it was Castle for a minute until well no Castle appeared, instead the opening credits for Scandal. I turned immediately. I don't care if it's good or bad. It's Shonda. And I have vowed never to watch her hack writing again.

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:44 AM

This 110%. I've recommended it to all of my friends and got some people on Twitter to watch as well. I would say those that weren't captured by the series premiere - give the second episode a chance, it's so worth it.

I agree. Heck, I'm unapologetic about already being disappointed that there are only 7 episodes. Some of my favorite shows would have ended up on the chopping block if they hadn't been saved by my 5 episode rule. I generally find pilots problematic and I give shows with an appealing concept a chance to work out the glitches. Surprisingly, I thought the pilot was okay and on re-watch, I realized I liked it and was genuinely looking forward to seeing the story unfold.

I already wanted the show to do well because I know Olivia Popes(minus the president sexing) and it's profoundly unfair to continually paint the media canvas in a way that categorically ignores their existence. The thing that sealed the itunes pass for me though was reading an interview with Guillermo Diaz who plays Huck where he talked about reading the role and and tearing up at the thought that he had no chance at it because he only got the opportunity to play bad guys. When he first appeared on screen, I actually said to my friend,"Hey, that's the guy who always plays criminals" and then I was thrilled to realize that he had gotten to break out of that stifling box. I think about all the crap on the air that people sit through(myself included) and I can't comprehend not giving Scandal a chance(several of them, really). I get to send a message that different voices matter and it has the potential to be to be delicious fun-done.

piya

piya

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

I agree. Heck, I'm unapologetic about already being disappointed that there are only 7 episodes.

May say this 210%? But I am okay with seven episodes as long as they get a second season. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the second episode. Hopefully people who have been disappointed by the first episode will still tune in for this episode and are pleasantly surprised. I certainly was. Is this groundbreaking TV? God no. Is this this year's Game of Thrones for me? No. But I still enjoyed the hell out the second episode and will do a happy dance if it is renewed.

Edited by piya, Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:53 AM.