Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

1.05 "Crash and Burn" Sneak Peek

Amanda Tanner's fate is revealed.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

The way she walks in heels -- or are they high-heeled boots? -- is crazy. Do women normally rock back and forth like that when they walk quickly? Olivia looks like she has a hip problem or is trying--unsuccessfully--to perfect her sexy-but-powerful strut. Once again, it's distracting and takes me out of the scene.

I am FAR from an expert, but I suspect that Kerry's rocking 5 inch heels, and I would imagine it's tough for most women to power-strut around like that. A slower, mesmerizing gait is one thing, but a power walk is something else.

itsjenlaa

itsjenlaa

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Kerry Washington on Scandal's Dark Twist: I Was Like, 'Ohh, That's the Kind of Show We're Doing!'

blissfullylost

blissfullylost

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

I agree with the comments on the client of the week being problematic and I think it was a case of the writers being in love with the idea of the concept and not really worrying about how it would flesh out realistically. The episode is called Enemy of the State and the dictator references himself with it but Cyrus also gives Olivia that implied designation when he tells her that the president has declared war on her and has done so with the full weight of the WH and government employees behind him. Olivia also gets called out for acting in a dictatorial fashion and for not wearing the “white hat.” It even provided more insight into Abby with her overidentification with the dictator’s wife. Since the writers have so few episodes to try and move the plot forward while fleshing out characters, I’m sympathetic to the idea that the writing might sometimes have to resort to facile symbolism over in-depth accuracy. I’m hopeful that with a full season that episodes will have more time to breathe and flow at a slightly less frenzied pace.

itsjenlaa

itsjenlaa

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Scandal: Grey's Anatomy's Kate Burton Makes Her Debut as the VP

I'm so looking forward to finally seeing the VP and her interaction with Fitz.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

I've figured out what the problem I'm having with this show.

It's the rapid dialogue and the shuttering camera sounds when changing scenes that gives me a raging and bloody headache.

And it's the weird thing (at least to me) the Kerry does when Enunci-a-ting while giving the "bad" person, or the person that needs the final talking to--not to mention how it looks like she's trying not to stick her tongue out while doing so. Totally takes me out of the scenes.

Oh, and the speechifying. The never ending, holier-than-thou speechifying.

I'm in for the rest of the season because I'm anal like that; it's like picking up a book to read, but not liking it, but having to finish it, otherwise it'll bug me.

This show is like that for me.

Edited by Scorpiosrule, May 3, 2012 @ 11:24 AM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

More and more I believe that the VP and/or VP's people are behind this Grant situation.
VP was in the lead and it changed, maybe because Olivia joined his team? So she other team could have vested interest in taking down Olivia and Grant? Yep stronger and stronger I believe this.

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

More and more I believe that the VP and/or VP's people are behind this Grant situation.
VP was in the lead and it changed, maybe because Olivia joined his team? So she other team could have vested interest in taking down Olivia and Grant? Yep stronger and stronger I believe this.

I'm leaning more toward the VP's people than her personally. I can't shake the feeling that Billy's behind it somehow. It's usually the unassuming ones. And if it is, hopefully the VP will merely chastise him and not fire him. I like every member of the WH staff and hope not to lose any of them by season's end.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Aaaaaaaaaaah! This show is. So! Good!

Really wasn't expecting Amanda to actually die. Thought they were playing with us. This show's not messing around, and I love it for that.

Boy, Cyrus didn't take long to go straight-up evil, huh? Unless there's going to be another twist and he really wasn't responsible for the murder.

And next week: Adult content! Parental Discretion Advised! Ha!

Edited by 2MuchTV, May 3, 2012 @ 10:03 PM.

deepfriedcake

deepfriedcake

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Aww. Poor Paris.

macster83

macster83

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I didn't think they'd really kill off Amanda this early on so I was actually surprised it was her body.

And whoa! Huck is freaking scary.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

And next week: Adult content! Parental Discretion Advised! Ha!

Indeed. This is the episode that Shonda said she had to leave set for, when they were filming, because it was to adult for her. Kerry stared laughing saying "But you write it!" lol.

Safe to say in next week's episode, told through flashbacks, that were gonna see Olivia and Grant's first time and then some. I. Can. Not. Wait.

Case Study: Shonda Rhimes Says 'Anybody is a Suspect Now'

Madea

Madea

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

So...umm..Did the First Lady have Amanda killed?

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Best. Episode. Ever.

So many scenes that I liked.

Let me start with the most shocking: Huck, Huck, Huckleberry Scalping Finn. Never thought I'd see a scene like that on ABC, or from Shonda. Very well done, acted, and executed. Between Reese in Person of Interest and Huck on Scandal, I was so satisfied tonight.

Loved the Olivia and Huck scenes. The President unleashed Cyrus, so Olivia unleashed Huck. Just. Wow.

Oh boy, Steven is back to his crooked ways.

Damn. Olivia has her workers backsliding over this Amanda Tanner situation.

Speaking of her, I will admit, I didn't think that would be her being pulled out of the water. Wow. When you lie with snakes, you get bit.

Harrison's skills worked well for today's crisis of the week. I actually enjoyed watching him replay the sounds in his head. Nicely done.

Speaking of the crisis of the week, for the first time, it resonated with me. I'm overworked. I'm doing the job of three people for half the price. I want to attend family events but never have time. I can empathize. I felt for the husband too. The entire team worked well together, very cohesively.

One thing: I don't like the reporter or Quinn.

I really liked the scene between the President and the VP. The tension between the two was strong.

Loved today's show. So much potential.

Edited by Derrida, May 3, 2012 @ 10:18 PM.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I don't ask for much from a tv show. I can suspend disbelief a really really really long way. But tonight's Amanda Tanner story? That was such crap on so many levels I just don't know where to start.

I can stomach that Huck the all-knowing would accept the word of his ex-whatever mentor that Amanda was dead without any evidence and then go back and torture him for the details. When he blurted it out on just the word I was a little unsure but I went with it.

I can almost buy that Olivia hired Quinn the idiot knowing something I don't know even though she does a lot of dumb things on a weekly basis.

I can totally believe that the President would trade on the death of a Senator as nausea inducing as that is to pass legislation and bully the VP into breaking the tie in his favor. That stuff happens in DC all the time I'm sure.

I even wasn't that annoyed by the case of the week. It was a decent side story. Abby wasn't that annoying and it was believable.

But does this show really expect me to swallow that Olivia would take Huck's word and use it to threaten the Secret Service on a public sidewalk? And then call the President a murderer to his face (over the phone) without, for even one second, thinking that there might be something else going on here?! Is she that blinded? Really? THE Olivia Pope? C'mon Show.

And I'm also expected to swallow that Cyrus the magnificent would take in the news that Amanda is dead and be happy about it?! Really? I'm reasonably certain any Chief of Staff worth their salt would see this as a major problem, not least because (assuming her body ever shows up) DNA could link the President to said Murder (or suicide, okay show). And even if the DNA didn't show that, he'd still believe it was a massive nightmare. Especially since reporters are already sniffing around it. I could buy that he doesn't have the human decency to be upset that she was killed and was only focused on how this affects the Presidency but I certainly can't believe that he wouldn't have taken the next logical step to "Oh crap this could be bad".

This show is really getting on my last nerve. This Amanda Tanner twist was so much dreck I don't even know how to describe it.

On the bright side, next week looks mildly intriguing. Right now, I'm just going to try to forget this episode happened. It really reminds me too much of Grey's later seasons. Such good ideas just dragged down by unbelievable witing. The Amanda Tanner going missing story could have been great and it was just screwed up completely in the writer's room.

ETA: Wow, that was a really long rant. Sorry about that.

Edited by SanLynn, May 3, 2012 @ 10:26 PM.

Hoshiskye

Hoshiskye

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Cyrus though ice cold is not that ruthless. I would be so shocked if he's the one who made Amanda disappear. Yes, if you're going to be a heartless bastard about it, Amanda's death is a good thing for the president. If you're going to play Tragedy Olympics, yes the plane crash and the loss of a Senator along with 120 people is a lot more tragic and far reaching than Amanda. So, I get it, and I get you Cyrus. Still ruthless as hell.

I'm almost ready to rule him out as potential mastermind because I truly belive he's invested in the success of the Fitz Presidency. However, I guess he's not totally in the clear yet. The First Lady (that scene with the secret service agents, wow!) and the Vice President as well. I'm still leaning towards the FLOTUS, but the writers are doing a decent job in setting up several people who could have the motive and the will to do this. Can't wait to find out who is behind all of this.

I'm glad Cyrus has finally realized that Olivia wasn't the one setting them up. Now they can team up and figure out who's the real mastermind. The 'team' is potentially back and I love it.

Huck, wow. I honestly don't know how I feel about those scenes. Or him. It was intense.

Edited by Hoshiskye, May 3, 2012 @ 10:39 PM.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Last week I didn't think so but this week for damn sure - Cyrus needs to be checked my President Fitzgerald Grant. He may have his faults but he still the President of the United States of America and for that alone he must be respected. I so wanted him to get up from behind that desk and let Cyrus know that and put him in his place.

I love that Grant showed up at Olivia's door. See he'd get it just for that alone. I'm so fucking easy, I realize this. lol. Seriously this man risks all this just to come to your doorstep? You don't take that lightly. Plus your in love with him and he you? Oh yes, he'd could and would get it.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

Although I am enjoying the show, I think if there were any more than the 7 episodes, I would have given up from the sheer verbal assault each week. I shudder thinking about trying to make it through 20+ episodes. If it gets a 2nd season, they have got to tone down the speechifying. I know Shonda thinks its clever and edgy but it's coming off as amateur and too cool for school, just irritates me. I think I read an interview in which the actors mentioned that for an 1 hour long drama you would usually have 50 or so pages of dialogue, instead Shonda gives them over 80. You can dial it back now. We get it, you can write lots and lots of words. If things held together better, it wouldn't be so problematic.
My ongoing battle against Kerry Washington's mouth twisty ticks continues, it often completely takes me out of the scene, but I acknowledge it is my issue and she's still pretty great.
Hmm...now after that rant, what did I like? Columbus Short can hang around anytime. Yes, I'm shallow! I liked how he made a contribution to the case of the week. He & Quinn really don't have muc to do.
Interesting background in Huck. That guy deserved the torture for being such a douche about his name, what the hell is wrong with Huck? Im glad Cyrus knows Olivia isn't that crazy and Amanda is dead,so it's someone else doing this. My vote is split between FLOTUS and the VP. Really enjoyed how Fitz just steam rolled over the VP to get her to vote for the bill.
Sorry Amanda. Saw that coming from the minute you said you had an affair with the Prez. Now who's baby is it really and who's responsible for her death? I hope it's not Cyrus, he amuses me.
No opinion on case though, that's how inconsequential they are.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:38 PM

But does this show really expect me to swallow that Olivia would take Huck's word and use it to threaten the Secret Service on a public sidewalk? And then call the President a murderer to his face (over the phone) without, for even one second, thinking that there might be something else going on here?! Is she that blinded? Really? THE Olivia Pope? C'mon Show.

I didn't read that as a threat and she never called him a murderer directly.

Why wouldn't she believe Huck? She knows Huck's past and I'm sure knows that he wouldn't make a statement like that if he didn't know for sure. On top of that, Cyrus straight up warned her that the gloves were coming off and that Fitz gave him to go ahead, so logic says things add up. I had no problem buying that she would confront Fitz using those facts and she did ask if they were on a secure line, which I'm sure is the only way he's calling her.

This episode wasn't bad but there was something missing for me. I just don't know what it is.

I still have no clue who's behind it. It being the VP seems way too easy and it being the FLOTUS makes no sense at all.

Quinn needs to be fired yesterday. Why would she take the risk of going to a man who may have an another motive for getting close to her.

I felt bad for Huck, that's a crazy thing to have to do. I do think his speech went on too long or it was overdone. I just wanted him to stop saying fun after a point.

Cyrus disgusted me when he practically rejoiced in Amanda being dead and I want to know what he's going to say the next time he's face to face with Olivia now that he knows she wasn't blackmailing them.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, May 3, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

This episode had my emotions all over the place...I was crying for Huck, then intrigued then horrified. Then wanted to give him a sympathy hug...from a distance.

Yeah we all knew Amanda was dead but wow...the path to get the details. Oh my.

Fitz negotiating his "secret" time out. lol

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

So...umm..Did the First Lady have Amanda killed?

Well, I think they are making a show of her being cold with a big patrician smile on her face.

I was a bit surprised that they let them go all "bring out the torture implements," even in the last hour of prime time. So the plan is to be dark and go there? Thing is they can't do that more than 2, maybe 3 times in a regular season without it looking deranged and kind of cheap as far as show-production and if they want to keep Huck, well from picking up his tools again more frequently.

So conversations between Huck and Olivia are allowed to be slow. Huck is allowed to stomp right through the rapid-speak and get everyone to pay attention to a critical thing.

Quinn is rapidly dissolving into the April Kepner of this end of the Shonda verse, she's not there yet.... but I don't get this creation of role choice. As with her doppleganger in Seattle, I have yet to see what skill or reservoir of strength Quinn has that made her worth hiring.

They cast Amanda's father well.

The interactions between Josh Malina and Kerry Washington are growing on me, NOT in a romantic sense - but in a I could buy their interactions week in and week out being about dealing with the law, grey areas, privilege and knowing disturbing stuff that may or may not be out of the reach of the law.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

My problem with her stalking out to the secret service car or confronting the Pres via phone didn't have much to do with Huck at all actually. It had more to do with her just taking off without stopping to think through what Amanda's death would mean and whether or not the President or Cyrus would really be stupid enough to do something like that and think they could get away with it.

But maybe I shouldn't be so surprised, her gut has been off line on this Amanda Tanner thing since the beginning.

Edited by SanLynn, May 3, 2012 @ 10:43 PM.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Loved the negotiation between Fitz and the Secret Service.

Poor tortured Huck. How is he going to make it back after going to the dark side? Olivia should make sure he's okay instead of messing around with Fitz.

I have no doubt that the First Lady put Amanda under the bridge.

I knew Fitz was negotiating to go to Olivia's place but when she opened the door and there he was...Damn.

Can't wait for next week.

name234

name234

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

I have no doubt that the First Lady put Amanda under the bridge.

The more I think about the more I suspect if her character had a written history, knee capping her rival for the cheerleading squad might be on it. That calling over of the Secret Service like they were domestics to be ordered around, also the bit with her saying, basically, "extreme times, extreme measures...." they are setting her up to be a villain.

So, it would be cheap if they did this. But what if Gideon, when investigating the Amanda Tanner murder discovers that FLOTUS put out a hit? Scandal, well that it would be.... and it would give Livy and Fitz a chance at twu luv.

Edited by name234, May 3, 2012 @ 11:08 PM.

Irlandesa

Irlandesa

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

It had more to do with her just taking off without stopping to think through what Amanda's death would mean and whether or not the President or Cyrus would really be stupid enough to do something like that and think they could get away with it.

I think the bigger issue is that she trusts Amanda's version of events so easily, without skepticism. I pass it off to the fact that she felt so betrayed by a man she did trust that she over corrected and ended up trusting Amanda based betrayal and nothing Amanda did herself.

So from that perspective, even though it's completely misguided, she believes Amanda 100%. That would make Cyrus/The President the most obvious suspects who would want to shut her up since she doesn't know about Amanda's co-conspirator. Considering Huck found out the information and he was ex-CIA or military, she probably figured the CIA could make someone disappear if they wanted to and she'd know that because of Huck. There are definitely a lot of leaps in logic required to watch but I didn't think that was too huge. Not like last week's confrontation with the dictator about how keeping his kids from their mother would make mothers in his country rebel or something like that. Now that was a head scratcher for me.

I thought this episode was quite good. I kind of love how evil everyone surrounding the president is. I am glad he got to blackmail the VP because they have a tendency to make him inert so that others may scheme on his behalf. It's much more interesting if he gets to be active as well.

I felt this episode did a much better job of developing Olivia's team than some of the earlier episodes. They're showing me why Olivia feels she needs them around. My one exception is that I wish they'd tone down the "playboy" angle with Stephen. What they're doing with every women he goes to asking him for sex in exchange for info is making him seem like a gigolo, not a playboy.

I even liked the case-of-the-week until the resolution. It was kind of a bummer and almost anti-climatic.

I hope this gets a second season and I hope they get more straight forward with the dialogue. The speed does nothing for the show. Shonda's dialogue does not flow like some other fast writers. Even worse, it's not as clever as it thinks it is and even when it does border on clever, it always goes too far in exposition. For instance, tonight when Huck met with his trainer, the trainer said something like...

Once you go black, you never go back.

I liked it. It told me he was part of black ops before joining Olivia. But then the guy went "black ops." Clever would have been to leave it at 'black.' All the contextual clues were there. Shonda seems to think that lots of dialogue is clever. Maybe she liked a writer who used the technique. Sorkin maybe? The thing is, Sorkin's dialogue had a lyricism. That dialogue was sometimes used to paint a picture without being explicit. Shonda's writing is not full of innuendo. It's not being used to paint a picture. It's not poetic in its way. It's simply a technique being used to fill up dead air with repetition until they just go and spell it out anyway. And it really doesn't create the chaotic effect it thinks it does. Veep does that much better.

Edited by Irlandesa, May 3, 2012 @ 11:20 PM.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I think the bigger issue is that she trusts Amanda's version of events so easily, without skepticism. I pass it off to the fact that she felt so betrayed by a man she did trust that she over corrected and ended up trusting Amanda based betrayal and nothing Amanda did herself.

I've been trying to figure this out but I think Olivia has been going with Amanda's version because Fitz lied. I'm guess that she believes because he lied before then everything he says from now on is a lie while Amanda turned out to be telling the truth and now whatever she says is true.

Not wise for someone who regularly plays in the arena but makes sense for someone who believes her judgement is really compromised.

BluBarbi98

BluBarbi98

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I really wished they hadn't started the series with the Amanda Tanner situation. I think it would have been great to see Olivia operating her business & doing damage control for the White House without this additional issue at first. This way we get to see her "gut" intelligently at work, see her friendship with Cyrus, see how the team really works together. Maybe even get small glimpses of Amanda at the WH. This way once it all falls apart we'd be more emotionally involved. Right now based on how quickly he turned on her I can't believe Oliva and Cyrus were ever friends. I don't fully understand what Abby, Harrison & Quinn are supposed to do at the agency.

Anyhooo... I am totally a Huck fan. I saw what was happening and wanted to stop him but see the badass revealed at the same time. I liked Harrison's contribution this week (plus I've got a crush on Columbus Short) but I don't know what his special skills are. Was it just. me or did it seem like Abby was smiling when she shouldn't have been? I don 't think it's the character but the actress.

BlossomRene

BlossomRene

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

I know he isn't real but I want to un-elect Fitz! It annoys me that the POTUS, Cyrus, Olivia, you name is smarter than him. What exactly does he bring to the table?

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

does this show really expect me to swallow that Olivia would take Huck's word and use it to threaten the Secret Service on a public sidewalk? And then call the President a murderer to his face (over the phone) without, for even one second, thinking that there might be something else going on here?! Is she that blinded?

I didn't read that as a threat and she never called him a murderer directly.

Olivia didn't explicitly say that Fitz killed Amanda, she accused him of giving Cyrus the ok to "handle the situation", which made sense at the time. That said, I'm not sure that Fitz and Cyrus are working together directly, but Cyrus may have used the Fitz/Amanda affair as a cover to do his dirtywork. Indirectly, I think Fitz and Cyrus both have Amanda's blood on their hands. And Olivia has no reason to believe that Huck was lying. He doesn't waste words. Anytime Huck speaks his words have major impact. If he said Amanda's dead, then she's dead.

I've been trying to figure this out but I think Olivia has been going with Amanda's version because Fitz lied. I'm guess that she believes because he lied before then everything he says from now on is a lie while Amanda turned out to be telling the truth and now whatever she says is true.

Olivia bought Amanda's story because she felt guilty about destroying her and wanted to get back at Fitz. This was a personal matter for Olivia, so she wasn't thinking clearly, and it turned out that Amanda lied to her. Amanda lied about Fitz being her baby daddy, and she was the front person for a scam that we don't know all the details about. To her credit, her conscious got the best of her and she wanted out, which probably what got her killed, but I wouldn't exactly say she was telling the truth.

diggle

diggle

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

I loved having a gay Republican conservative (who was willing to speak openly about the non-traditional-conservative aspects of today's Repubican party) until he became the Gay Republican Psycho Okay With Murder or He Is a Killer Because He Knows Best What Is Good for the Nation.

This is the first Shondra Rhimes I have watched. I am amused by the comments of those more familiar with her work. I keep thinking, "Sorkin Light" but I admit, I am enjoying, even the... less believable and more hackneyed aspects.

As for this week in particular enjoyed the negotiation on getting out of the White House. It struck me that the President probably is fairly captive (and the allusions to the habits of 41, 42, 43, and JFK had me chuckling). That said, Michael Douglas was able to do it!

I also enjoyed watching poor "get the info" Stephen struggling with the fact that he no longer has all his tools at his disposal.

Enjoying the weekly stories, along with the various arcs.

Color me easy.

"There isn't a person in this building who isn't willing to go to extremes for you."

That reeked of confession to me.

Speaking of confessions, and not wanting to derail the conversation too far, I'll be brief: When one is deposed, one is given definitions for all pertinent words - in some cases the words include the word "sex" and sometimes definitions are constructed in such a way that in order to comply with the terms of the definitions oral sex does not qualify as sex under those definitions. Why a definition might be so .... ill-formed is subject to speculation, but .... them's the facts. (Didn't I just have this conversation close to 20 years ago?)