Scandal: All Seasons Discussion

• Please log in to reply

9331 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

From ABC's webpage:

Everyone has a secret... and Olivia Pope has dedicated her life to protecting and defending the public images of the nation's elite and keeping those secrets under wraps. Revered and feared at the same time, Olivia, a former communications director to the President of the United States, left the White House to open her own prominent crisis management firm. She is hoping to start a new chapter in her lifeóboth professionally and personallyóbut she can't seem to completely cut ties with her past. Slowly it becomes apparent that her dysfunctional staff, who specialize in fixing other people's lives, can't quite fix the ones closest at hand-their own. The creator and executive producers of Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice delve into the behind-the-scenes machinations of a mesmerizing top crisis manager in ABC's highly anticipated new drama, Scandal.

Olivia's accomplished staff, who would follow her anywhere and do whatever it takes to save someone's reputation, include Stephen Finch, who has dated his share of women but is trying to settle down and have a family; Harrison Wright, a slick litigator; Huck, hacker extraordinaire; investigator Abby Whelan, who has an enduring crush on Stephen; and Quinn Perkins, the new young woman in the office who is in awe of Olivia, but is initiated in a trial by fire on her very first day on the job.

Olivia's former boss, President Fitzgerald Grant and his chief of staff, Cyrus Beene, are never far from her beat. Her clients aren't the only ones with secrets, though; surprisingly, she may need to exercise all her damage control skills on her own behalf.

It premieres Thursday, April 5th at 10pm eastern.

Yay! Kerry Washington! Definitely checking this out. But I don't know if I'll be able to stick with a Shonda Rhimes show, or get the people I share the TV with to watch it with me.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I'll be very surprised if this show lasts. A non-white female lead? Particularly a black woman, in a non-sassy/non-BFF role? On a major network? Can't see it. Being a Shonda Rhimes show is a bit further down the list of factors working against it. Especially since there are a fair share of poorly written shows that have solid ratings.

I'll definitely tune in, though. I like Kerry Washington.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

I'm hoping that it lasts. Kerry Washington is a good actor as is Columbus Short. I think that that premise is a good one, too (political intrigue, crime, scandal), and it would be a sad commentary if the show didn't even make it to a second season simply because the lead is black. The promos I've seen for it already have me hooked, but then again, I like shows like these.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

While the idea is interesting, the schedule is really not workable for me. I am still warming myself up with Awake and The Mentalist is already the slot's resident.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I'm optimistic about this; the only things I'm worried about are the time slot, and that it's premiering in March.

AwesomeWelles

AwesomeWelles

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Oh good. Something else for me to watch on a Friday (I'm in the UK so I watch a day later). I'm assuming ABC just want me to hate them. That said - I'm really looking forward to this.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

The time slot isn't ideal, for sure. I'll likely watch the show the following morning on the ABC website as I get ready for work.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Facebook Exclusive Fan Preview First 7 minutes.

agentAA08

agentAA08

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

If I remember, I'll definitely be tuning in next week. It's only taken forever for this show to finally air.

My biggest concern is this show is going to be like TNT's Hawthorne or ABC's Body of Proof, and that the main character will be incredibly unlikeable, controlling, and has this enormous God complex, with everyone around her acting like just saying her name induce miracles.

Why do writers think that's who high-powered women are and what every other women wants to see? Yeah, some women like that are walking nightmares in heels, but not all of us act like unstoppable bitches. Some of us are genuinely nice, real people, who don't feel the need to control others and make everyone bow down to us. Sheesh.

The 7 minute clip already seems to be a lot of that, but I'll give the rest of the first episode a chance. But if Olivia Pope is an absolute crazed control freak, like the previews indicate she'll be, I'm done.

Edited by agentAA08, Mar 31, 2012 @ 12:23 PM.

Natasa

Natasa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

New ABC drama "Scandal" wants to be juicy, but it's really more laughable - think "The West Wing for Dummies."

Brian Lowry's review in Variety

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

iTunes currently has the full first episode available for free.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Perhaps I have the benefit of 1) never being remotely interested in political dramas such as The West Wing, and 2) never watching more than an episode or two of a Shonda Rhimes show, thus having little to no basis for comparison...but I liked it. I thought Kerry Washington was excellent, and she has some great chemistry with
Spoiler
as well as the rest of the cast. The only part I don't like is the "I don't date" aspect of her character.

That the reviewer thinks this show makes Revenge look plausible by comparison gives me pause, since that show is completely over the top, and has been since episode one. But I'll make up my own mind as I continue to watch.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

I'm sort of interested in the show. Shonda Rimes shows usually starts out pretty well, then fall apart (at least for me) within the 1st few episodes. Happened with Grey's, although I was interested the 1st full season, then not so much after that. Happened with Private Practice, that one got 2 viewings. Happened with that other show, which was canceled. Anyone remember what it was called? It was set in the jungle & was ridiculous.

ABC is certainly putting enough ads on TV for this show, so it looks like they are invested. I like Kerry Washington & some of the other cast members. Something does give me pause though, the lead character seems to be in the pattern of the hard-driving, super-successful, driven, unpleasant females that is all about her work. I know a lot of successful women who are intelligent, strong & driven, without being unpleasant asshats. I guess for TV, women only come in a few flavors. I'll give it a shot.

On a completely shallow note: Kerry Washington does this weird thing with her mouth when she talks which distracts me.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

I didnít know the whole episode was on iTunes until I read it here just now, but watched the 7 minute clip last night. I had a lot of mixed feelings.

Most problematic was the sycophancy. My least favorite thing in the world is when a writer has every character praise the main character to high heaven, while SHOWING us that said main character is awful. Olivia is, yes, very capable, but sheís also obnoxious and full of herself, as far as I can see. Most people usually only give their supervisors that kind of worshipful praise when they are both successful AND vaguely pleasant to be around. Only fellow horrible people look up to someone as nasty as Olivia seems to be.

The guy who recruited that new girl in the bar was one of the most insufferable characters Iíve ever seen, and he managed to become so in only 7 minutes! I havenít watched a Shonda Rhimes show in years, so it took a minute to get over her usual rapid-fire smug dialogue, but even after I successfully adjusted, his worshipful attitude towards Olivia was still off-putting. The new girlís attitude didnít bother me, because itís easy to construct an idealized image of someone youíve never met.

I liked Olivia in the scene in the basement with the Russians, but everything else about her was insufferable and smug. I know this is a Shonda Rhimes show, so I am assuming everyone (especially Olivia) has some tragic, fucked-up secret angst and there will be a lot of weeping and bravely trying to hold it together. I hope the show introduces that IMMEDIATELY, because she and the recruiter guy need to be taken down about 5 pegs.

That was a lot of negative from 7 minutes, but I will give this show a few episodes because a) Henry Ian Cusick in a crisp white shirt b) I generally really like Kerry Washington c) I like that the premise makes for a wide variety of possible Ďcases of the weekí and d) itís all rather stylish. If they can stop having every character verbally prostrate themselves before the throne of Olivia, and can make everyone just a bit less smug, I think it can be good.

A few months ago, I read a lot of critics complaining that Henry Ian Cusick had been forced to fake an American accent for no reason. But in the bit I saw it sounded like theyíve rerecorded his lines to be British (but still not the sexy Scottish brogue he had on Lost)?

I canít decide if I think Olivia and Henry Ian Cusick will start sleeping together within the first 5 episodes or if they are already sleeping together. Shonda Rhimes doesnít usually give people a love interest (they mentioned he was going to propose) without intent to have it end in infidelity.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

Well, I watched the episode yesterday via iTunes and I liked it. I've always liked Kerry Washington, so that helps a lot. I'm sure I'll have to suspend my belief quite a bit (it is a Shonda show, after all), but I'm down to so for at least the rest of the season.

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

I liked the pilot but I'm not sure how well it will play out week to week. I'll give it a try but the jury is still out.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

NY Times - Washington Spin Doctor, Heal Thyself - http://tv.nytimes.co...washington.html

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:39 PM.

Good Queen Jane

Good Queen Jane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

Thought I would bump this since the premiere is tonight (for the four people who haven't seen any of the ads that are everywhere.)

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

No kidding. Never has ABC spent so much on promoting a new drama. Not even new episodes of Grey's.

I'm watching for Kerry Washington. Period. Not expecting much other than her good acting.

Darlin

Darlin

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

I think I'm already hooked on this show. Can't wait till next week.

Mxytdvc

Mxytdvc

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I only watched the show because I was too lazy to change the channel. I doubt I'll tune in again, but that's only because I'm at my limit of crime shows (not my favorite genre).

Is this filmed in LA? I noticed during the scene at the Tidal Basin when they were berating the wannabe Lewinsky girl that the trees were wrong (I think this means I'm a local now).

Derrida

Derrida

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

The show was great! I didn't pick up on the guy turning out to be gay or Olivia deciding to represent Amanda.

The president gives me the wiles.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

I liked it. President hottie took advantage of poor Paris Gellar.

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by liz26111, Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:23 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Impressive premiere. I like.

The pacing is good. I especially like the way Kerry's character (Olivia Pope) is layered. A true rarity for a female AA lead on network TV. I was afraid at first that her character would be cold and unlikeable, but they saw fit to make her tough, yet vulnerable. I'll be looking forward to next week's installment.

Not sure if Olivia's new female hire has the stomach for this kind of work, but she works as a kind of moral compass to keep the wheels from coming completely off the bus.

Edited by getawayjordan, Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:30 PM.

Chrissytd

Chrissytd

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

I liked this. The fact that the president and Olivia have some sort of intimate relationship didn't surprise me, I caught onto that during the Camp David scene.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I got bored with The Mentalist and tuned in for the second half of this and I liked it overall. It had a lot of cringe-worthy lines but it's a pilot, clunky writing is to be expected, I suppose. I loved seeing Desmond again but I didn't really get what was happening with that ultra-excited redhead colleague, was he unwittingly leading her on, did she just have a crush? Oh and I don't know if she was shown before I tuned in but I assume that woman he got engaged to was shown only from the back so they can (re)cast and get a name actress?

I loved Kerry Washington, she's always been one of my favourites and she's right for this role. I didn't like how her character relied in her abilities to "read" the POTUS even through a camera, not when she must have known she was biased/he's her blind spot. There's cocky/self-assured and there's naive.

I must also say I have always had the hugest crush on Tony Goldwyn and I like this sexy POTUS thing he has going. Mmm.

I don't know, it' was all a bit too Shonda-rrific for my taste but hopefully after the pilot the show will get smoother. It was decent, didn't love it but I can see myself keeping up for a couple more episodes to get a better feel for it.

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I'm in. Hopefully Shonda will not eff this show up like she did Grey's and Private Practice.

When Olivia said that she didn't date, I figured she was in love with someone unattainable and/or inappropriate. Damn, she sure hit the jackpot there. The President! At least she is human...

NoLoContendere

NoLoContendere

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Dear lord that was awful. If you didn't see the army guy as gay, or Paris Geller as being honest or Kerry Washington as having been involved with the president, you have obviously never watched tv before. The writers threw every cliched storyline in the book at this one episode. It is a pity since they assembled a hell of a cast. Once was definitely enough for me on this one.

Samantha84

Samantha84

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Love it! Love it! Love it!
The dialogue is fast paced so you must pay attention. The acting is great - Kerry Washington is perfection in this role. (So much so after 1 episode I'm loving Olivia Pope) The writing was fantastic, kudos Miss Rhimes.

Uhhh can I just say, the president and Olivia are smoking ass hot! That 3 minute scene and they oozed sex! When he started coming towards her she was begging him not to touch her because she knew what effect it would have on her. Hot man, just hot! Looking forward to see where this goes.

Looking forward to seeing all these characters back stories come to out and how it comes to play with their jobs etc.

Fantastic premiere, will definitely watch, can't wait for the next episode, and beyond.

Edited by Samantha84, Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:49 PM.