23-15: "Exit Through The Kwik-E-Mart" 2012.03.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

10 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 7:38 PM

From SNPP:

Bart becomes a (jazz drummer) underground graffiti artist whose work quickly catches the eye of his fellow artists; a new (comic book store) health food store becomes tough competition for the (Android's Dungeon) Kwik-E-Mart.

ETA: I'd like to see more of Bart & The Beanstalk, and was the couch gag a reference to something? I'm assuming Game of Thrones. Because it was awesome.

The scene at the Not Trader Joe's was pretty funny. "Six aisles of olives!" But seeing Apu descend into madness was...heartbreaking to say the least. We've seen him become disheartened over better businesses (The Monstro-Mart, Fortune Megastore), but not to the point of actually fighting Homer (which just went on a little too long). But I liked the role reversal of Apu trying to mug Snake (er, "Just Bird"), and he calmed Apu down.

I'll admit, I really liked all of Bart's art. Great to see El Barto become legitimate. I wonder if Shepard Fairy, et. all were behind it? I loved the callback to the Skinner "I am a weiner" graffiti from Bart The Genius. Really liked the separate "Sincere Hats" and "Ironic Hats" entrants into Bart's gallery. Also, Burns getting the "no refunds" sign enforced on him was just great.

I'll admit, I really liked this one much more than I thought I would. A few flaws (APU), but I can let it slide.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:30 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I'm assuming Game of Thrones. Because it was awesome.

Yes, the couch gag was a parody of GOT's opening credits.
And that was way more Wiggum than we needed to see.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

It has been a while, but this episode was pretty good. It felt like a really good Simpsons episode (minus the scene where Bart has to meet every graffiti artists in Springfield) but overall it was a really good episode (did David X. Cohen came back to the show to write an episode?). I also loved how the beginning actually had to do with the main story, plus we got to see how Marge celebrates her birthday and she got a fluffy bunny (oh, so cute) from Bart.

In addition, I really love the B-story. I felt that we finally got a story about a secondary character that helped to expanded on his/her life. It was nice to see that Apu will do anything to keep the Kwik-E-Mart a float and it was nice to see that Snake actually had a legitimate job (and seeing Apu trying to rob Snake and Snake justs remains claim, takes the gun, and explains that their is no room in prison for the both of them was just golden). Plus there was another Brazilian joke (monkey meat= chicken meat, lol) that fitted nicely with the B-Story.

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:51 PM.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I also loved how the beginning actually had to do with the main story, plus we got to see how Marge celebrates her birthday and she got a fluffy bunny (oh, so cute) from Bart.

And that bunny is what kicked off the plot! And we got to see it several more times! I hope we see it again.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

I was surprised to see that I actually enjoyed this ep although the extended couch gag went right over my head (thanks for the explanation, AimingforYoko!). I think what I loved most besides Snake's new job was that Homer remembered Marge's birthday.

And that was way more Wiggum than we needed to see.

Seconded although it was quite artistic. ;-)

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

D'oh! Dreaded Double Post!

Edited by Kaboom, Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I just watched the first season of Game of Thrones a couple of months ago and read the first book in the series so I was really happy to see the credits parodied in the couch gag!

I thought at first the episode was too similar to the one with Isabella Rosselini where Homer becomes an avant garde artist, but that was a nice twist at the end.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Poor Homer. He actually does something right for Marge, for a change, but it gets fucked up by Bart. At least this time, it was an accident.

I hope the bunny stays around.

Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

That was a pretty damned solid episode. The couch gag was awesome, even though I was completely lost while it was happening, having never seen Game of Thrones. I assumed they were parodying some video game series I was unfamiliar with.

Random moments: It was odd seeing the normally lovable Apu behaving like a such a prick. I laughed seeing Homer take the bunny for a walk along with Santa's Little Helper. And poor Snowball II's rejection when Marge was enthusing over her new pet. Lou as a centaur!

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Poor Homer. He actually does something right for Marge, for a change, but it gets fucked up by Bart.

Just adding my own 2 cents to point out that Marge left the rabbit out of the cage.
Bart shouldn't really be held responsible for that.

I hope the bunny stays around.

I believe that we will ultimately have to add "the bunny" to our list of Simpsons' pets (which really needs updating, as does all of the other lists on this thread) that will never be seen again. At least most of these pets do have an explanation at episode's end as to why "Status Quo" must be retained.

Edited by Twilight Man, Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:23 PM.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

The bunny was kinda weird with its dead eyes and absence of personality. If it sticks around, it can only be as the Simpson's evil, soulless pet. There's some serious treehouse of horror potential there.