2-11: "Judge, Jury, Executioner" 2012.03.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

444 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Rick sides with Shane causing Dale to worry that the group is losing its humanity; Carl's actions have unintended consequences.

Moderator Note:

Remember to stay on topic. If you're discussing previews, future episodes, the season as a whole, or anything that's mostly beyond the scope of this episode, please take it to other threads. Let's try to make it easier for people to join in the discussion here, since the thread moves so quickly.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

So, what? Carl's Peter Parker now?

Luckedout

Luckedout

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Carl's acting like a regular kid growing up. Testing his boundaries to see what he can do, figure out the type of person he'll become. It's good for him to not succumb to paralyzing fear, yet dammit, Rick and Lori. It's nearing sundown and you don't know where your son is. I understand the pros of raising a kid with an independent streak, but it's a bit much for a zombie apocalypse not even a year old. He didn't even admit to anyone of what he did; what if Daryl needs that gun and thinks he has it? That a walker in the bog has twisted free since nobody is wrangling them up anymore?Teach that kid some restraint and common sense.

The conversation in the house reminded me of these forums, ha.

Didn't expect Daryl and Dale to have any rapport, but there it is. I guess the only ones to not figure out the Otis thing has been the Greene's and Patricia, maybe because to even admit to the possibility would be too heartbreaking.

Did anyone notice that Shane tends to grab Carl by the arm, while Rick doesn't? Different parenting styles reflecting each world view.

Dammit, Dale. In an open field, you didn't see the one walker until he was on top of you.

mariolatry521

mariolatry521

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

Thank GOD I don't need to see Dale and that damn hat anymore.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

• Interests:Ennui, regret and baseball. And I do love an ellipses...

Well, that answers the question over who Carl takes after.

He's totally Lori's kid.

Tiznowbaby

Tiznowbaby

Video Archivist

Well crap. I don't care what anyone says; I liked you, Dale.

Some observations: Is Carl naturally stupid or does he have to work at it? Does anyone ever know where this kid is, and does he ever obey orders?
And, let's send him "inside" because he'll never be able to hear our conversation through the fabric walls of the tent.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Well, I guess this IS the end of the old way, AKA Dale, after all...

SinInTheCamp

SinInTheCamp

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

Does Lori ever watch her freaking kid? It's not like she's doing anything else productive.

And holy shit, the ending! Wow. True to form, Dale wasn't able to spot a walker right in front of his face. He should have raided an optometry office long ago.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Can't say I'm too sorry to see Dale go after most of this season, but I liked him tonight. This was a talky episode, maybe moreso than any other so far, but it was a conversation they needed to have. If they'd gone forward with killing Randall without talking about it, without anyone objecting, without someone pointing out that bowing out of the decision is unfair and doesn't make you any less culpable, I don't know that I could have continued to have any investment at all in these people.

That said, Carl can die anytime. Stupid, stupid, creepy kid.

MichaelaRae

MichaelaRae

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Well, that broke my heart. And if Randall turns out to be a little shit after all that, it's going to stomp on the pieces.

Little children in horror shows are often creepy. Carl may now take the cake. Hi there, budding sociopath!

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Great episode, and I'll probably get into that later in the thread.

Finally, no more Dale! Too bad they gave him his best performance in the series right before getting rid of him, so that I actually slightly miss him now.

However, the last scene, he sees a cow that's obviously mauled, and does he immediately look around? Get his gun ready? No, he stands there giving it the same bug-eyed stare that he uses for everything.

Plus, if parents left their kid as completely unaccompanied as they've left Carl in the last few episodes, they'd be arrested for neglect. It's absolutely ridiculous they're doing that during a zombie apocalypse. Does nobody ever know where he is or what he's doing?

Also, edit: Randall has to go. The scene with Carl convinced me of that, not because he was wheedling for his life, as anyone would do, but because he all but admitted he was going to lead his "people" to the farm.

Edited by JOnanGoopta, Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:07 PM.

Dagamuffin

Dagamuffin

Video Archivist

Was anyone else rooting for the Zombie instead of Carl? Just me? Ok...

I never minded Dale before, but I really didn't like him in this episode - glad he's gone. Carl needs to go next...

rockin01

rockin01

Loyal Viewer

Before tonight's episode, when I thought about Big Pussy a mental picture of the guy from the Sopranos (or Kim Kardashian) came up. Rick has now forever taken their place. Sheesh.

TheRabbi

TheRabbi

Fanatic

• Interests:Currently watching:<br /><br />The Amazing Race - not quite what it once was, but still an addict<br />Chuck - ditto<br />Dexter- great stuff<br />30 Rock - season 5 is the funniest its ever been! Probably my favorite show currently airing<br />The Office - nowhere near where it once was, but still alright<br />Modern Family - good stuff!<br /><br />New shows this year I'm still watching (have dumped a few):<br /><br />Walking Dead - great stuff!<br />No Ordinary Family - mediocre<br />The Event - Reading the recaps and board comments is immensely more entertaining than the show, so I watch!<br />Raising Hope - awesome!<br />Running Wilde - good! (will they ever burn off the remaining eps?)<br />The Cape - started out awesome, starting to fizzle<br /><br />RIP:<br /><br />Pushing Daisies - possibly the greatest show of all time<br />Lost - lackluster resolution to most mysteries, but still a monumental show<br />24 - downward spiral the last couple years, but once again, still a monumental show

I thought last week was great, but absolutely hated this. Rick and Lori are just worst parents ever. How many times did Carl wander off on his own this episode? The barn at the beginning, the walker by the river, and the barn at the end. So stupid.

Can't say I'll miss Dale very much, but it was an effective scene. I find that I don't really like any of these characters anymore. Glen is alright I guess. Dreadful episode IMO.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I'd hoped Carl was going to get it, but Dale got it. And gruesomely too. The "your humanity has died" message from the writers was anvilicious. A pretty good episode.

I thought they were going into "The Howling Man" territory and were going to have Carol end up letting him go after he whined and cried. Man, what a whiny guy. I mean I guess I'd be crying like a little kid with a skinned knee too if I was about to be executed, but jeez that guy makes you want to execute him just to shut up all that sniveling.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Carl is such a little shit.

Does anybody watch that kid? He steals a gun, goes walking around the woods alone and just pops up every place he shouldn't be. I was hoping that walker would eat his face off! All I could think was...you just lost them another gun that they need! I wonder if Carl wouldn't have messed around with that walker if it would've stayed stuck.

Lori should be worried about him losing his humanity.

Edited by JCScantling, Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:08 PM.

BtvsVamp

BtvsVamp

Couch Potato

Fucking Carl. I didn't love Dale but I did like how he had a different view on a lot of things going on throughout the seasons.

I feel Randall will turn out to be a scumbag which is stupid that Shane was right but whatever.

Can we switch Sophia being alive with Carl being dead as the one kid on the show?

maderas

maderas

Channel Surfer

I remember reading in one of those spoiler threads that one of the characters would be getting axed because of the actor making a big stink over Darabont's departure from the series. Guessed it was DeMunn back then. Somewhat disappointed by it, his death had a lot more meaning in the comic. It felt a bit contrived here.

IllluminatusCU

IllluminatusCU

Channel Surfer

I tried that AMC StorySync app during the show, and some of the stuff was actually interesting. If you haven't tried it, they have little votes on things mid-show after a scene. At the beginning of the episode, the crowd seemed to be rather bloodthirsty for Randall, but by the final vote in the farmhouse it was nearly 50/50. Kind of interesting to see how Dale was actually winning over the audience.

But then when he died, it immediately jumped to a "Episode Death Toll: 1 Human / 1 Walker" which kinda broke the mood.

PopCultDiva

PopCultDiva

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I was. Vehemently!!

MsFortune

MsFortune

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Why wasn't Lori minding her child during an execution ?

JOnanGoopta

JOnanGoopta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

True to form, Dale wasn't able to spot a walker right in front of his face.

Worst. Watchman. Ever.

Pandora3

Pandora3

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

God, that was a blah-blah-blah fest. A very appropriate tribute to Dale.

circlesquare

circlesquare

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

Ugh, Carl is the worst. When he cockblocked the execution and they showed Rick walking off with him I was like, "Yeah, take him out to the woods and kill him!" At least take the hat away from him. That kid is the worst. He can't even throw a rock at a walker and the little bitch thinks he can handle a gun? Nice try.

I kind of couldn't handle Dale this episode. I felt like I was watching an episode of MASH with Hawkeye getting getting all self-righteous. That being said, the ending was pretty upsetting.

london

london

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Okay, I actually cheered when Dale was attacked. I had grown sick of his pontificating...

I understand his point of trying to retain some sense of humanity/civilization, but that time has long, long passed. And to me, it appeared Dale actually leaned into the gun as Daryl pointed it at him.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Funny thing is, I was convinced that Dale, in his typical passove-agressive manner, told Carl to check out what they were doing to Randall in order to stop the execution and wanted something nasty to happen to him. Imaginer my surprise when I found myself getting choked up at the end!

Before I forget, why is Carl allowed to roam the woods alone and why is he so stupid? Yeah, play with the walker in the muddy creekbank...

tricknasty

tricknasty

Video Archivist

No lines tonight for T-Dogg....*smh* Bye Dale, you will not be missed. Carl needs to get dead next......

Dianaofthehunt

Dianaofthehunt

Loyal Viewer

I think Randall is bad money, judging from his use of double negatives.
Such a reluctance to pull the trigger in this episode!
When Darryl discovers the pistol is gone from his saddlebag, I hope he draws the right conclusion and gives Carl a skinning. Somebody ought to, the brat.
During the discussion, T-Dog almost got a line out, then Dale stomped on it! This is what you get, Dale!
I don't know about Herschel giving Glenn his pappy's pocket-watch. That seemed a bit sentimental to me. No room for that in this show, no.

Ashura77

Ashura77

Channel Surfer

I never minded Dale before, but I really didn't like him in this episode - glad he's gone. Carl needs to go next...

Nope, count me in too, I so hoped for him to get chewed to death but no... And still no sign of dying Lori... Damn... Those two need to go, and soon, and I don't care where, but away from the screen, seriously...

And Dale, yeah right, just staring like a dumbass at the cow, well, well done for you old man...

agora

agora

Fanatic

Lori should be worried about him losing his humanity.

I don't see why when Carl already did; you kinda need to lose your humanity in order to grow up in this kind of place IMO.

RIP Dale, you were the single most shocking death this season after zombie Sophia.

Edited by agora, Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.