GCB (Good Christian Bitches)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

765 replies to this topic

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

That's about it. Of course, that was the producers' intent, that the non-Texan would be the only likeable person.

She was actually the least likable person, or at least the most unbelievable. A complete Mary Sue that grated on every nerve.

ETA: Did like the fact that Amanda's still able to channel her inner mean girl, though, so there's hope.

I was surprised at how much I actually liked this. A bit clunky and they had to cram way too much exposition into 45 minutes, but that's like most pilots. I'll keep watching, at least for now.

Edited by drmka9, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

It was a lot more over the top than I expected and more Mean Girls-like than Desperate Housewives. Maybe a combo of the two, actually. But I liked it. Leslie Bibb, Annie Potts and Marisol Nichols the most, probably because they're the characters who are the least cartoonish.

StephInMN

StephInMN

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

I liked it and it reminded me of first season Desperate Housewives. I hope it maintains.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

Leslie Bibb looks 10 years younger than any of her alleged classmates. It's really hard to suspend disbelief.

So does Annie Potts, LOL. I'm so happy to have her back on my TV.

Anyway, I liked it and will definitely give it a shot. Coincidentally, I had Tweetdeck open, and one of my sorority sisters fired off about 50 tweets urging people to boycott ABC until the show is cancelled because it makes "a mockery of our Christian faith." Another of my friends told me at a birthday dinner this evening that her pastor was urging them to boycott, so I guess this must be some kind of organized thingy. And I must be a poor excuse for a Christian, because I did not feel like my faith was mocked at all.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I always grade pilots on a curve.

There's potential in here somewhere. I just can't tell where. I know I liked Annie Potts, but for everything else the jury's still out. I think I want more focusing on Amanda's family adjusting to Texas rather that this Boobilicious nonsense or Amanda trying to demonstrate her moral superiority.

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Me either, kenyaj. I thought they were trying to mock hypocracy.

Edited by Midge, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:15 PM.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

My husband loved it *shocker*. I kind of figured I'd like it as the premise amused me somewhat and I tend to like that quirky stuff. I did not expect my hubby (of the Justified, Southland viewing type) to sit here and laugh his everloving head off.

Go figure!

I don't know who the actress that is playing Amanda, and agree she looks a good 10 years younger than her former classmates- esp. Kirsten Cheonowith (sp?)

I'm glad they changed the name to GCB after deciding they couldn't go with Good Christian Bitches... GCB is sooo much better than the lame-assed "Belles".

Edited by callietwo, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:17 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Anyway, I liked it and will definitely give it a shot. Coincidentally, I had Tweetdeck open, and one of my sorority sisters fired off about 50 tweets urging people to boycott ABC until the show is cancelled because it makes "a mockery of our Christian faith." Another of my friends told me at a birthday dinner this evening that her pastor was urging them to boycott, so I guess this must be some kind of organized thingy. And I must be a poor excuse for a Christian, because I did not feel like my faith was mocked at all.

Good thing I liked this, then. The fact that somebody is boycotting it just makes me want to watch it more. I'm not going to be suffering, because this was fun. They had me at Annie Potts.

C76

C76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

The time slot is also working against CGB, it's not like DH can provide the lead-in it once could

I don't know what DH's ratings are like. However I watched both programs tonight, and thought that DH was a fitting opener for this GCB.

I like this show. I think it has potential, and I could relate to the religious hypocrisy.

Has anyone read the book?

ETA

one of my sorority sisters fired off about 50 tweets urging people to boycott ABC until the show is cancelled because it makes "a mockery of our Christian faith." Another of my friends told me at a birthday dinner this evening that her pastor was urging them to boycott, so I guess this must be some kind of organized thingy. And I must be a poor excuse for a Christian, because I did not feel like my faith was mocked at all.

Mockery my foot! Did your soror have the opportunity to watch the show?

The main group of Christians that I can think of who wouldn't like GCB are the ones who don't want their nonsense exposed.

Edited by C76, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:23 PM.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

...one of my sorority sisters fired off about 50 tweets urging people to boycott ABC until the show is cancelled because it makes "a mockery of our Christian faith." Another of my friends told me at a birthday dinner this evening that her pastor was urging them to boycott, so I guess this must be some kind of organized thingy.

Lovely. Though then again, all the more reason for me to keep watching it.

Not as strong as I remember the Desperate Housewives pilot being, but there's still great potential for this, especially with the actresses they have in the leads. Except for Leslie Bibb, of course, but this:

Did like the fact that Amanda's still able to channel her inner mean girl, though, so there's hope.

Gives me hope for that character, too.

gritslady

gritslady

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

Okay, I live in DFW area. Born and raised. Let me tell you they hit the nail (s) on the head with the 4 vindictive women. Of course, anyone around here knows they are referring to the Highland Park area of Dallas. This show was spot on with how things are around here with native Texans. [snip]

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.
Boards on boards

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

By the way, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss it, but did they say where Amanda's dad was at? The boy was staying in Daddy's Gun Room (which I loved) so I just wondered where Daddy was at. Also, how come a house that big doesn't have enough extra bedrooms so that the kid doesn't have to sleep in an arsenal?

WhitneyWhit

WhitneyWhit

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Well that was a lot of fun and better than I was expecting. It had a Desperate Housewives feel to it, before DH began taking itself way too seriously. I definitely laughed out loud a few times, especially at that huge emergency gift basket and telescope.

I'm having a hard time picturing Lesli Bibb as a mother, though. I still remember her as Brooke Mcqueen on the gone-to-soon Popular.

Also, Delta Burke needs to be on this show now. If ever a show was created for someone like her, it's this one.

moodyblue

moodyblue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

It was pretty good. I did laugh a couple of times. It will give me something to watch on Sunday nights.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

one of my sorority sisters fired off about 50 tweets urging people to boycott ABC until the show is cancelled because it makes "a mockery of our Christian faith." Another of my friends told me at a birthday dinner this evening that her pastor was urging them to boycott, so I guess this must be some kind of organized thingy. And I must be a poor excuse for a Christian, because I did not feel like my faith was mocked at all.

Mockery my foot! Did your soror have the opportunity to watch the show

Ha! Of course not. I guess she figured it was better to take her pastor's word for it and make her disgust known than to actually watch the show and decide for herself. I feel like I should insert a bible verse about sheep here.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I think I missed it what religion is Kristin Chenowtih's character? No, but seriously, that was not mocking Christianity. It is mocking a certain type of person who uses their religion as a weapon. If she was Jewish she would use that as a weapon. If she lived on a hippie commune she would be shaming others for not being as green as she is. If she were a Communist she would be chiding people for not being as a good a citizen/comrade and reporting them to the State. It is just that type of person. None of the others were mocked for their religion (which they all share).

I wouldn't say it was the most perfect show ever. But it was fine for what it is.

Oh my God, Annie Potts looks amazing. Where the hell has she been?! She looks better than she ever has. She seriously did look younger than some of her daughter's classmates.

Leslie Bibb looks 10 years younger than any of her alleged classmates. It's really hard to suspend disbelief.

I was in high school when she was playing a high school student on Popular and, although she is about ten years older than me, I was briefly outraged that she was supposed to be in that same age group. BUT I kind of think it makes sense. Women with a ton of plastic surgery actually do look older and less "real". And Amanda just being more natural looks younger. I do think there is a realism to that. The make up, the clothes, the surgery ages you to a degree. Leslie Bibb is 38 she is six years younger than Kristen Chenowith, which is a lot but not uber insane for this. She just looks really good.

Edited by Betsyb, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:32 PM.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

Kris Chen is my favorite. She makes me laugh. I almost want her to preserver and bring down the main character.

All of these women absolutely hate Amanda. They're mean, petty, childish and vindictive. We only got about 30 seconds of exposition from Gigi describing her mean-girl-ness when she was in high school. Even if you could buy that four women would hold a grudge for 20 years, we really haven't been given any good reasons.

Well I can't say stealing someone's husband and being a high school terror to someone being no good reason but ymmv.

Edited by BuddhaBelly, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:39 PM.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Leslie Bibb is 38? GTFO. I figured she was in her 30s, but I didn't expect her to be older than me. Wow.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

Opps, I was wrong she is actually 37 but still, while 37 is very far from old, she looks much younger anyway. So it isn't implausible that she just happens to be naturally youthful but in her early 40s for the show.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:55 PM

I thought this was pretty funny. Not brilliant television, to be sure, but funny. And I'll give my two cents as a Christian and say that I wasn't offended. It's obvious they're poking fun at hypocrisy, not Christianity in general. I'm secretly hoping that they'll have a scene at a prayer meeting with the "prayer requests" being thinly-veiled tidbits of gossip, because that's how it happens a lot of the time (even better if it's a phone "Prayer Chain").

I found it believable that the 4 women would be sort of gleeful at the news that Amanda's husband ran out on her and she's disgraced ("karma's a bitch," and all that), but I can't believe that they would treat her the way they did. It was 20 years ago, let it go. The most unbelievable bit for me was Cricket making sure Amanda couldn't get a job. Really? Shun her if you want, snipe at her, don't let her be on the Women's Committee or whatever, but that was just low, Cricket.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

They simply do not stop trying to shove Kristen Chenowith down the public's throat, do they?

Amen to that. I don't care for her at all.
Leslie Bibb was on Kimmel last week. Horrible. She kept going on and on about urine tests and colonics. I don't recall her even mentioning the show. What a ditz.

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

After watching GCB, it's time for prayer:

Dear Lord, please find in your heart to give Annie Potts a good show, she's just too good to be in this.

If you still have time, please send a message to Kristin Chenoweth that she is not acting in the theater for the people in the cheap seats. When on TV, she is practically on our laps, and too much in our face.

With that out of the way, the first 15 minutes were painful to watch. Did it really need to start with the world's worst actors? You know how bad they are when you are relieved that they car goes over the cliff and there is no chance they are coming back.

Where all those St. Barbara scenes really needed? Specially when all that that was relevant in the first scenes was re-ashed by the 4 sided phone conversation. They could, should have started there.

Where the at arrival dogs really needed? Not really. Most people seem to be able to operate a doorbell. Having the dogs announce their arrival was just another waste of time. Like they don't know that snoops don't need a noise to get alerted, they feel a disturbance in the force when anything gossip worthy happens around them.

Then we get tons of exposition, and writers clueless about how to do it, other than throwing stuff at us.

They spent one hour telling us that the 4 high school friends hate Amanda, and not one reason why should we watch next week. Why should we? To watch Amanda and Carlene fight it off during weeks on end until writers come up with a real plot? What this show lacks, and DH had, is a dead Mary Alice to keep people watching.

Edited by SeriouslyBored, Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:57 PM.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

I found it believable that the 4 women would be sort of gleeful at the news that Amanda's husband ran out on her and she's disgraced ("karma's a bitch," and all that), but I can't believe that they would treat her the way they did. It was 20 years ago, let it go.

I can believe that they hadn't let it go already. Amanda had a point - they were threatened by her being back in town - but I get the feeling that most of the women don't have a whole lot in their lives. It seems like it'd be pretty easy to dwell on high school when you haven't moved away from your hometown, are good friends with only the people you knew well in high school, and simply don't have anything else occupying your time. The Cricket thing was a bit low, but she had just dealt with someone freaking out because they once again thought she had herpes, something I'm guessing she hadn't dealt with since she was in high school.

Where the at arrival dogs really needed? Not really.

I think that was partially to set up a quick joke...the dogs' names are "Tony" and "Romo", aka the Dallas Cowboys quarterback. Totally fitting of the character, I think.

Hotspur

Hotspur

Video Archivist

• Interests:Books, historical, fantastical, mysteries, the works. <br /><br />Good tv. <br /><br />Finding my way.

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

If this show is about "Christians", it's news to me. Because this NYC-raised Orthodox Jewish girl who thinks the "South" is Miami, Florida knew those GCB from her Yeshiva (Orthodox Jewish) high school.

There's some in every group, holier than thou who use religion as a way of hurting people, because they are petty, mean and downright evil.

I loved the scene where Kristin Chenowith uses the bible as blackmail. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away," because I knew girls who did that all the time, subtly use the religion to shame others.

It's painted in broad strokes, but I'm not subtle.

DB in London

DB in London

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

They spent one hour telling us that the 4 high school friends hate Amanda, and not one reason why should we watch next week. Why should we? To watch Amanda and Carlene fight it off during weeks on end until writers come up with a real plot? What this show lacks, and DH had, is a dead Mary Alice to keep people watching.

Lightening will strike me for saying it, but this show should have strived to be more like DH. The premise behind DH, and moreover the dark comedy tone of the series (set from the very first episode) is a good thing, despite how poorly it has often been executed. GCB was too over the top - it really needed something to ground it. I can't picture any sort of real drama in the series now after the too-light tone of the premiere. The premiere of GCB actually made me miss the brilliant first season of DH, and remember how no show will ever do female-centered suburban life better.

That said, it wasn't bad, but probably not my thing, either. I've been watching DH for 8 long seasons (and CANNOT WAIT TO BE EMANCIPATED from it in May! WEEEEEEE!!!) and, if ABC is drawing to keep those dwindling DH viewers, it failed with me.

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

Lightening will strike me for saying it, but this show should have strived to be more like DH.

It didn't need to go all that dark, they could have gone the Ugly Betty way, where they had the power struggle at the magazine grounding the show.

They did struggled to fill 1 hour because of the lack of a real plot. They even solved the one hope for a mystery they introduced by revealing the mother was the secret admirer.

This show just doesn't have the muscle to be 1 hour long. Adding up characters just doesn't replace not having a real story. It could have worked better as a sitcom.

ETA:
If you really look at it, this is Hank with a much bigger cast. It's the same plot. Family needs to relocate due to money troubles. Hilarity ensues from encounters with the locals they haven't seen for years.

Edited by SeriouslyBored, Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:45 AM.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Not all four women hate Leslie Bibb. The realtor seemed to like her. I actually think the other 3 women have a relatively good reason to hate her. Maybe preventing Leslie from a good job is poor form, but her mom is apparently extremely wealthy so it's not like Leslie will be homeless.

I did love that Leslie did not care that there were photos of her at her job. Virtually every other show would've had her kids crying and whining about how embarrassing their mom is and they want to move back to California.

ETA: I would kill for Delta Burke to be on this show (given how Kitten looked in high school, I could see Cheno-something and Burke being mother and daughter). Also, get Mary Cherry too!

Edited by memememe76, Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:32 AM.

okiedohkiepokie

okiedohkiepokie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:13 AM

I will agree with DB in London regarding the tone. This episodes makes even the zaniest of Desperate Housewives plots look like a serious drama.

While I actually laughed a few times, I didn't love it. Will I tune in again? Sure, probably until the end of the season. Do I think it will get a second? We will see, but unlikely. The show isn't grounded at all, and there is only so much heightened reality I can take.

Also, there were some posts upthread about the show not being promoted enough - to which I heartily disagree. In Parade (newsmag in the Sunday paper) there was a full page insert - even the cover's bottom corner had an ad for it.

Let's see the ratings in the morning and then we can make a better guess.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

I just couldn't bring myself to watch it. Third gen Houstonian here (ggf settled in Houston in 1893 when it had 26,000 residents). The religion-as-a-weapon beauty queens and such were part of my growing up. I hated every minute of it and wouldn't go back now unless I could make minimum of $10 million and spend the weekends in LA or New York.

To me, the hurt caused by real-life GCB makes it hard to stomach this as a premise, because IRL it's not funny. I should write for this show! ;-)

And not surprised to hear that some groups are boycotting it.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

I enjoyed it. I can deal with broad strokes, over the top comedy when it's done reasonably well. The writing may me just decent, but the talent in the cast (Annie Potts!) is worth some faith.

I will agree with some posts above that Cheno-fatigue is a real thing. I love her and still enjoy her, but she does have the dial stuck on 11. When I start to get annoyed I just remind myself of Olive Snook and my goodwill returns.