GCB (Good Christian Bitches)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

765 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Yesterday on her show, Wendy Williams launched a campaign to save GCB-which, frankly, bugs me. Though to her credit, Ms. Williams has had a couple of the show's stars on her show and has mentioned the show several times, she's also admitted to missing several episodes because of Celebrity Apprentice and Real Housewives of Atlanta/New Jersey because for some reason she refuses to learn how to use a DVR so she can tape/watch those shows later.

Nowadays, reality shows of all kinds are more popular than most scripted ones and if WW had told her viewers to watch GCB every week and had done so herself, it could have helped a little. Her attempts to save it, however well-meaning, are too little, too late, IMO.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

Well, at least someone is trying.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Well, at least someone is trying.

Which would have impressed me much more if they had done so before it was cancelled.

Oh well, hope Jacob Tyler Moore gets cast on a show that's set somewhere near a beach.

If it's set on a nude beach, that's even better. ;)

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Since he's apparently experienced at playing military types, perhaps Spartacus would be the best of both worlds?

hmpf

hmpf

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Darn. I caught up this series today and it was so cute. So bummed it didn't get renewed.

I loved the clothes on this show. I adored everything Heather wore. Even though she rejected her mother's Neiman gifts, Amanda still wore pretty expensive clothes! The ep where she directed the play and wore the white and blue dress w/ the lines on her dress is a Alexander McQueen dress that I've seen Kate Middleton wear. This was like my sex and the city fix. So sad it's over!

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm listing my aliases instead of my interests here.

Here on TWoP, my member name is 4815162342, but non-Lost fans who can't remember that are free to nickname me #

On BWR and FF, I am takalotti.

And to those lucky enough to have my AIM name, that's yet a different name.

But I'm all the same person :)

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I blame ABC's stupid scheduling entirely for this show's cancellation!

Seems like ABC always gets rid of the good shows.

I totally blame the network.

Fuck You ABC!!!

Amen to all that! (Pun sort of intended) Especially the last quote.

Its not surprising that this show is cancelled because I like it.

It's not surprising that this show is cancelled because it’s on ABC.

I actually didn't watch GCB, despite my love for Kristin Chenoweth. Why? Because I've boycotted ABC ever since they cancelled my beloved Pushing Daisies. Why? Because of crap exactly like this. And this...

First it was Pan Am in that 10:00 slot. I kinda fell in love with that show.
Cancel it and replace it with a new show called GCB. I fell in love with show. Cancel it.

There's an old saying I grew up hearing. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Due to the asinine way they cancelled PD, I decided I would not let ABC fool me again.

Don't get me wrong. I know shows have to be cancelled and my favorites may not always make the cut. But ABC has managed many shows so poorly, and then thrown their hands up all "the ratings aren't good enough, we have to cancel it" as if they had no hand in the bad ratings.

I'm sorry for all the GCB fans, because I truly empathize with them. However, I'm glad that I made the right call about not trusting ABC so that I'm not in mourning with them.

Edited by 4815162342, May 21, 2012 @ 2:40 PM.

Madmarsha

Madmarsha

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

Dang, they didn't even give this show a chance. It really grew on me.

ophelia12

ophelia12

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I heart tv.

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I feel like we need to send something ridiculous to ABC to get their attention. It has worked for other shows in the past. Bibles? Cowboy hats? Brisket?

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Lust-crazed thoroughbred stallion turned loose in the lobby?

Texas Sweet

Texas Sweet

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Does anyone know the address to mail postcards to ABC??? Just got some that have the Texas Flag on 'em.

EmeraldBelle

EmeraldBelle

Channel Surfer

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

Does anyone know the address to mail postcards to ABC??? Just got some that have the Texas Flag on 'em.

I think this is it:

ABC Entertainment
77 W 66th St, Suite 100
New York, NY 10023-6201

That's the address I got from the Save GCB site, anyway. There's also Team GCB for more info.

The interesting thing is that in the overall season ratings that came out recently, the show actually had higher ratings than a few other shows that were renewed. I think it was probably the fact that it was "offensive" to certain groups of people that was the real issue.

Edited by EmeraldBelle, May 26, 2012 @ 6:02 AM.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

So, I checked the book out from the library and started it, but I don't think I will finish it. The show must be LOOSELY inspired by the book! Amanda's hubby is a manwhore, but not a thief and not dead. She also did not get pregnant in high school, her son is only like 12. Heather is still a realtor but is now also not pretty but a huge slut and party girl/alcoholic to boot. Sharon is single never married and not at all overweight. Cricket is not named cricket and is a joke who spends her husband's money and has no business sense what so ever. AND, the equivalent of the Carlene character (who is not named Carlene) is in fact a surgery addict but is much older than the other women and thus did not go to school with them, is on her 5th husband, and has a reputation for having affairs with the, younger, hired help. There are also apparently 2 other characters who are good friends of Amanda's and are not out to get her. At least I think they aren't, they have only been mentioned a few times and haven't "appeared in person" so to speak, yet.

It is actually very confusing to read since I can't relate the book characters to the onscreen characters and am having a hard time remembering what is what!

EmeraldBelle

EmeraldBelle

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 4:00 AM

So, I checked the book out from the library and started it, but I don't think I will finish it. The show must be LOOSELY inspired by the book! Amanda's hubby is a manwhore, but not a thief and not dead. She also did not get pregnant in high school, her son is only like 12. Heather is still a realtor but is now also not pretty but a huge slut and party girl/alcoholic to boot. Sharon is single never married and not at all overweight. Cricket is not named cricket and is a joke who spends her husband's money and has no business sense what so ever. AND, the equivalent of the Carlene character (who is not named Carlene) is in fact a surgery addict but is much older than the other women and thus did not go to school with them, is on her 5th husband, and has a reputation for having affairs with the, younger, hired help. There are also apparently 2 other characters who are good friends of Amanda's and are not out to get her. At least I think they aren't, they have only been mentioned a few times and haven't "appeared in person" so to speak, yet.

It is actually very confusing to read since I can't relate the book characters to the onscreen characters and am having a hard time remembering what is what!

Yeah, I didn't like the book at all. The show is so much better, IMO. Cricket is my favorite, and the Susie character is pretty much the complete opposite of her, which disappointed me. And no husbands (well, at least not the same husbands as the show), or kids other than Amanda's (who, like you said, are a lot younger), or pastor, or Luke...it's just so different. I think the stories are a lot more interesting and the characters are a lot more likeable/relatable on the show.

Edited by EmeraldBelle, May 27, 2012 @ 4:02 AM.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

I am on chapter 6 or 9, can't remember, and have 200 pages to go but I don't think it will happen. It is beginning to read like a romance novel and I don't do those. Not to mention I am pretty sure I have figured out the whole plot already- Susie/Cricket ran the Longhorn Ball into the ground! Amanda will be chairwoman and be set up for failure! Shenanigans will ensue! Amanda will succeed against all odds! And somewhere along the way will have an amazing guy, probably one of the ones the single characters are all pinning over but can't land, fall head over heels for her and she will learn to love again!
Sounds about right?
I also don't think it is a very well written book, I have no problem reading "fluff", beach novels and such, but this one is pretty poorly written. A 1/3 of the way in and none of the characters have very distinctive voices, it's very muddled.
It makes me miss the show that much more b/c they were able to do something fun and campy with crappy material to launch from.

EmeraldBelle

EmeraldBelle

Channel Surfer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

I am on chapter 6 or 9, can't remember, and have 200 pages to go but I don't think it will happen. It is beginning to read like a romance novel and I don't do those. Not to mention I am pretty sure I have figured out the whole plot already- Susie/Cricket ran the Longhorn Ball into the ground! Amanda will be chairwoman and be set up for failure! Shenanigans will ensue! Amanda will succeed against all odds! And somewhere along the way will have an amazing guy, probably one of the ones the single characters are all pinning over but can't land, fall head over heels for her and she will learn to love again!
Sounds about right?
I also don't think it is a very well written book, I have no problem reading "fluff", beach novels and such, but this one is pretty poorly written. A 1/3 of the way in and none of the characters have very distinctive voices, it's very muddled.
It makes me miss the show that much more b/c they were able to do something fun and campy with crappy material to launch from.

I'm not sure what the policy is on this, but I'll put it in spoiler tags just on the off chance that there's someone out there that wants to read the book and doesn't want to be spoiled, so...

Spoiler

But yeah, overall, I agree that it was poorly written. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have finished it if not for the fact that I was house sitting for my parents, who live out in the middle of nowhere, and I was bored out of my mind and had no other reading material. You're really not missing anything if you decide not to read the rest.

Thinking about the book just makes me miss the show even more, too. The guy in charge of the Save GCB campaign mentioned on Twitter something about another network being interested in the show, so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of that.

Edited by EmeraldBelle, May 28, 2012 @ 1:48 AM.

number4

number4

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I finally got to see the last two episodes of GCB. I am so sad it was cancelled - this show was just fun and female empowering. Women running their own companies and not using sex or bitchery? Cricket and Sharon were not stick thin model types, used their brains in their own way. And, 3 of them were in happy marriages with no drama of infidelity? - okay - Cricket and her dude had an agreement on that and I thought their relationship is one I haven't seen portrayed before. Annie Potts is always a win and they dressed her sexy. A woman over 45 on a show, dressed her sexy and gave her a sex life. Yikes. I wish someone would pick up this show.