GCB (Good Christian Bitches)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

765 replies to this topic

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

So funny, there's about 2 dozen ways to say pecan (pea-cahn, pa-cahn, pea-can, pa-can, pee-kin...) and I think they are all correct :-)

Anyone have any guess as to who is in Juarez? Bill's girlfriend?

I think it was pretty crummy for Ripp to manipulate Carlene's faith like that. She's way OTT but her beliefs are sincere. Completely misguided but sincere.

Pastor what's his name is super cute.

Edited by Midge, Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:51 PM.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

For some reason, my DVR blacked out the very end, so that all I saw was Ripp making a phone call, but it cut out as soon as he finished dialing. Can someone tell me what happened?

Midge

Midge

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

Carlene's brother (I forgot his name) is in mexico (Juarez I assume). Apparently spying on someone for Ripp. We don't know who, just that it is a she.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but Carlene's brother following a woman in Mexico for Rip convinced me of the following:

1) Rip lost more money to Amanda's husband's ponzy scheme than he is admitting.
2) The woman is the Amanda's husband's girlfriend. A different one than in the car or
3) the one from the car and Amanda's husband is alive
4) Carlene's brother got involved with Amanda on Rip's orders

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Pastor Tudor was hilarious. I love his interaction with the rival preacher who is really too pompous for words. What pastor shows up out at a BBQ wearing his collar? I just do not want to see Pastor Tudor ruined by Amanda.

After re-watching last night's episode, I love Sharon even more. She has really come into her own. The call to Amanda with her deal cracked me up, especially when she started naming off what types of sauce she could make. And when the ladies were strutting through the crowd, Sharon was doing a pageant wave, lol.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Sharon looked hot at the BBQ. I never realized how beautiful she is until now because her character on Glee was so horrible. Love her now.

Morgan459

Morgan459

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

After re-watching last night's episode, I love Sharon even more. She has really come into her own. The call to Amanda with her deal cracked me up, especially when she started naming off what types of sauce she could make. And when the ladies were strutting through the crowd, Sharon was doing a pageant wave, lol.

My favorite Sharon moment was when the drunk guy was all "You're the loosing it with Jesus lady!" She got that deer in the headlights look and just denied, denied, denied. Especially as he kept insisting that she was and she'd just shake her head 'no'. Jennifer Aspen is really gifted at turning those little moments into gold.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

I see the church name changed from Hillside Park United Methodist to United Memorial. So much for my inside knowledge as it becomes the slightly mainline unknown denomination church of most non Catholic TV churches.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

4) Carlene's brother got involved with Amanda on Rip's orders

I don't think that's possible, as their first meeting was an accident (and Amanda's fault) and he was clearly flirty and interested from the word go. This show will not be able to sell me on Ripp as some Moriarty-like mastermind that could get Luke positioned for a meet cute on the off chance that Amanda would (1) get in a non-fatal car crash with him, (2) respond to his flirting and start dating him, and (3) open up about where her dead husband stowed money that she's obviously not able to get her hands on for her own benefit.

Edited by Bruinsfan, May 1, 2012 @ 11:14 AM.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

Sharon is quickly becoming my favorite. They've been subtly slimming her down--- not that she was ever really big. "TV Fat" is not like being overweight in real life. Guess those meal plans work!

The actor who plays the butcher is still cute, but he's a bit puffier now than during his Ugly Betty days.

I noticed that, too. I still miss him on Southland, where he played Det. Nate Moretta. He's adorable. And butchers can make really good money!!

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

This show will not be able to sell me on Ripp as some Moriarty-like mastermind that could get Luke positioned for a meet cute on the off chance that Amanda would (1) get in a non-fatal car crash with him, (2) respond to his flirting and start dating him, and (3) open up about where her dead husband stowed money that she's obviously not able to get her hands on for her own benefit.

I agree with you but not about part 3. Since Amanda has always behaved as if she doesn't have access to the money, Ripp has to assume that she's playing it smart and choosing not to access it. Mind you, we know that's not true, but if her lack of access to the money was an issue, Ripp never would have thought Bill/Amanda were still in cahoots to begin with. Further, from Ripp's perspective, Amanda might be less than thrilled to know about Girlfriend #2 who is using the money and then might spill the beans to Luke.

All that said, I essentially agree the idea that Ripp would know Amanda/Luke would hit it off, meet cute or not is far-fetched. Also, Bill have a second mistress who knows about the secret money seems a bit much.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

Every week I enjoy this show more. I love Cricket's entire wardrobe; she has the best dresses.

Women don't barbecue? Is this the 1950s? And regarding the best wood, it's maple, of course. But I guess you can't get that in Texas.

How is Sharon able to produce meals for sale in her home kitchen? Is that allowed, from a health department standpoint? It sure isn't here. You need a separate commercial kitchen if you're going to sell food you made.

I love the pastor; he's both boyish and wise.

HelloooKitty

HelloooKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

Has there been any news on a second season pick up? I am still not a huge Amanda fan but since they moved to a more ensemble approach to the show that really is no longer an issue. I am loving the campy fun of this show!

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

The show would be so much better without Amanda. You can't have a lead this unlikable, and the ratings demonstrate that.

I find Amanda quite likable if flawed and certainly less messed up than several other female characters, on or off the show. As for the ratings, since GCB is on opposite The Good Wife among other shows, chances are it would still have ratings issues anyway, whether Amanda's the lead or not.

Edited by DollEyes, May 2, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

Shermie

Shermie

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

I'm sorry there's not more buzz and interest about this show. It's such a goofy breath of fresh air among all the serious stuff.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Finally got around to watching this episode (honestly, why does everything I want to see have to air on Sunday night?). Zach is quickly becoming one of my favorites, too. I loved when he turned to Ripp and cried "Sharon's got a secret sauce!" and all the men on Ripp's team got this look of horror on their faces because they knew what a great cook Sharon is and that they'd be in trouble. The huddle was hilarious.

It cracks me up how they continue to blaspheme with stuff like "Braise the Lord." But I think that's the real reason behind the somewhat weak ratings - this perception that the show is making fun of right wing Christians. And truly, it is a little bit. Personally I don't mind but I can see how right wingers would be up in arms about it.

Stephen87

Stephen87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

ok after seeing The Avengers this afternoon, and watching tonight's episode I'm convinced that Tyler Jacob Moore (Pastor John) would've made a much better Captain America than Chris Evans

or am I alone in this?

RubyRose

RubyRose

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

I wish that the promo hadn't spoiled the very last shot of the episode. Having seen the promo, I expected the kiss to come earlier and to see a little more fallout. That said, I love Pastor Tudor, so if a story line with Amanda gives him more screen time, I'm down with that. I feel like there is more to his past, he seemed a little uncomfortable when Amanda made him the topic of conversation.

I easily called the girl being Ripp's daughter. Their scene earlier in the episode was too deliberate in trying to be vague as to their relationship. Despite that obviousness, I did love seeing Carlene's reaction; Amanda's awkward way of carrying her while she moaned "Why did she have to be tall?" made me chuckle.

Paratroper

Paratroper

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

'm convinced that Tyler Jacob Moore (Pastor John) would've made a much better Captain America than Chris Evans

or am I alone in this?

Not at all! I proposed the casting on my blog when the Captain America movie was announced and TJM had just started on 'Shameless'!

mspetite27

mspetite27

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I figured that she was Ripp's daughter too. I wonder who the mother is though. I think that I'd like to see Amanda w/the pastor instead of Carlene's brother even though I do think that EW is a cutie! Does anybody know if this is coming back in the Fall?

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

I love this show. I couldn't less about Amanda's problems but I was totally invested in Cricket and Sharon's problems. I love Cricket and Blake's marriage. The look on his face when she said Mason was 'different' broke my heart. He understood immediately and was more than a little concerned. The Mason/Blake scene was interesting even before Mason revealed what he knew. Seeing Blake in that scene made it even more clear what Cricket sees in him. Normally he's more goofy but not then. I liked their last scene too. I loved that he went to Mexico when he found out. I'm really curious where that storyline is going to go next season. She was alarmed when she found out but surely Mason isn't going to force her to sleep with him. That scene with Blake and Mason and finding out what Mason knows really shifted the tone of the storyline.

I can't decide if I'm okay with Luke selling the company or not. On one hand, they needed the money. And he did take care of her interests by setting her up to still be in charge. On the other hand, it's equally her company and he knew what she thought about it. I tend to discount her opinion somewhat given that she's generally an idiot but that doesn't mean it shouldn't count. So I go back and forth.

I figured the girl was Ripp's daughter. That seemed like a normal TV step to me. Carlene is so OTT that I have trouble getting emotionally invested in her stories. I really don't care where that goes.

It won't be announced what shows got picked up until the ABC upfronts on May 15.

Edited by L star, May 7, 2012 @ 12:58 AM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

I've totally not seen everybody's aversion to Amanda until tonight. Her revealing Rip's secret to Carlene was totally unnecessary, and just mean.
I hope Blake doesn't get hurt by Mason.
Love the Pastor, but I like Luke, too, so I'm torn there.

"Trust me, I'm a car salesman."

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

I love Pastor Tudor, but I'm ambivalent about this turn of events. If Amanda isn't over her trust issues, getting involved with another man right away isn't going to fix that. And I don't want her dating Pastor Tudor because he's a pastor and, thus, more trust worthy. On the other hand, he is adorable and I defy anyone to resist his charms.

Line of the night goes to DrunkSharon: "No worm for you."

Edited for punctuation.

Edited by RachelKM, May 7, 2012 @ 2:28 AM.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I've totally not seen everybody's aversion to Amanda until tonight. Her revealing Rip's secret to Carlene was totally unncessary, and just mean.

I disagree, on several counts. For one thing, I like Amanda. She accidentally revealed what she thought was Ripp's secret only because she reluctantly fell off the wagon. If Amanda really wanted to be mean, then she would have spilled the beans much sooner, when she was sober.

So far, I'm liking Mason, basically because he's showing Cricket what she's missing in her so-called "marriage" to Blake (IMO), namely passion, and that scares the shit out of her.

lvmom

lvmom

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

I actually am on board with Pastor Tudor and Amanda. They are the straight men to the wackiness that is Carlene and crew. I would rather they dump Amanda/Carlene's brother, although I love the actor who plays him and wish him well, and have Amanda and the Pastor eventually marry. They could then be strictly reactionary characters with the occasional story line and the craziness could revolve around them and the church. Dump Bodacious Boobies or whatever Rip's bar is and tighten the focus to the hilarious complexity that is Cricket, Carlene, and Sharon.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I had a feeling the girl was either Ripp's daughter or long-lost sister so I wasn't surprised. I loved Carlene's angst over her height.

I am shocked by how much I liked Amanda and Pastor Tudor.

Sharon's husband was an ass and now she's owned by Cricket who was also an ass to her.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I easily called the girl being Ripp's daughter.

To me this is yet another wrench thrown into their laughable timeline. If only they didn't continue to talk about Amanda being a pregnant teen, I would buy all of them as 40 year olds. As that does not seem to be the case, is this girl the result of a trip to Juarez by a 16 year old Ripp?

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

For Cricket's sake I hope Mason was threatening to out Blake to Cricket, under the mistaken belief that Cricket didn't know her husband was gay and cheating on her. If it turns out he's blackmailing them both so he can have his way with her then that's a little dark for this show, especially if he does have his way with her. I hope he really likes her, but the actor is playing it so dark and threatening that I don't trust him.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:53 AM

To me this is yet another wrench thrown into their laughable timeline. If only they didn't continue to talk about Amanda being a pregnant teen, I would buy all of them as 40 year olds. As that does not seem to be the case, is this girl the result of a trip to Juarez by a 16 year old Ripp?

I don't think Ripp is necessarily the same age as the rest of the characters (who agree also seem unlikely to be early/mid 30's. It seemed pretty clear in the pilot that Amanda hadn't known Ripp from the past and thus he could easily be a few years older than Carlene and, thus, fathered this girl 4-5 years before marrying Carlene. Nothing necessarily seemed to indicate the girl was born during Carlene and Ripp's marriage.

The timeline is indeed ridiculous on this show, but I don't think this new tidbit necessarily makes it worse.

Speaking of Ripp's daughter, I agree that it was obvious that she was not a girlfriend and most likely his daughter. It's a standard soap trope and I actually don't think they tried very hard to convinces us otherwise. They kept the scenes fairly ambiguous, but the fact that Luke was helping Ripp made it seem like it wasn't about an affair, or at least not a current one. Luke has not been the best brother to Carlene, but I'd have trouble believing he'd help facilitate Ripp's engagement in a cross-boarder affair.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

This show is ridiculous, which is why I kind of love it. Gigi pulling that tiny gold gun out of her big hair was probably the highlight of the episode for me. (Coupled with her ability to make that impossible shot when she threw the hairspray can in the air and hit it the first time.) Gigi makes me miss living in Texas.

As for the show overall, I really don't care that much about Amanda or her life, and as much as I love Kristin Chenoweth, I find Carlene too over the top to care about her. But I am loving the other characters. If I don't get to see more of Cricket, Blake, Gigi, and Sharon next year, I'll be sad.