GCB (Good Christian Bitches)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

765 replies to this topic

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Two episodes next week really messes up my Sunday night programing. I wish they would stick to their regular schedule.

xander874

xander874

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:25 AM

Eric Winter is so incredibly hot. I hope he recurs.

Sad about Heather and her rich beau. But, he was totally right.

And the casting of Bozeman was great - he looks just like his "dad". Has he been on anything? He looks familiar. Maybe he's just a model I've seen or something. Anyway, that storyline was fun and I'm glad they aren't going the route of having the wife (I'm bad with names) having an affair with cute preacher. Maybe Heather and he can get together?

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

I was squirming during Cricket's Amazing Grace performance -- it was crass to showboat like that at a funeral.

The preacher's analysis of Sharon was out of the blue but made complete sense once he said it. She wasn't attracted to him but rather to his problem-solving job. That was a nice insight into her character. She really is one of the best developed (so far) characters.

I hope Luke and Bozeman stick around, preferably up at Blake's ranch, if you get my meaning. Bozeman's little "call-me" gesture had me rolling. He's such an incorrigible hound-dog.

I felt bad for Heather. I don't think she really is a gold-digger / fame-whore; I think she was just thoughtless. Andrew probably has a lot of experience with people using him for his money it's a really sensitive issue for him. Hopefully she can explain and they'll get a second chance.

BeenHere

BeenHere

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

I wish Donna Mills' character hadn't been killed off. I have always liked her.
I like Carlene, Cricket and Sharon's friendship. They are my favorite characters.

And the casting of Bozeman was great - he looks just like his "dad".

And his sister. Is she related to him? Doesn't Sharon have three children?

Poor Heather, is just as traumatized by Carlene and Cricket as Amanda is, and ruined a chance at a great relationship.

How have Carlene and Cricket traumatized Amanda the bully who traumatized them so much that Carlene had plastic surgery to make herself look perfect?

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

Re: the couple who have a "white marriage" (I looked up the definition and apparently it is one without sexual relations?)

Had it been explained in any previous episodes why they have this sort of arrangement?

I saw this episode and the one after, but missed most of the pilot episode.

Bluturtle

Bluturtle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Cricket and Blake have a "white marriage" because he's gay. It was exposed in the pilot, and has been addressed in several episodes since.

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Most likely Blake repressed who he was until later in life. They got married, had a kid (or more? I think we've just seen the daughter), but eventually he couldn't live with the lie any more. I imagine there was a very strained but very private period a few years back where they considered divorce, but ultimately decided on the "white marriage" for social / business reasons. Plus they genuinely love each other.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Cricket's rendition of "Amazing Grace" at Bitsy's funeral also nearly did me in. The way they kept it in the background, how Cricket step to a startled Carlene, Cricket's "diva-ing" out during the "wretch like me" part, and - not to be outdone - that outrageous high-note head whistle she saved for the finish... I loved it all

I also loved her smiling the entire way throughout the song in the most inappropriate way.

Seeing the way Cricket and Carlene act when Heather rises above her station makes me glad she's choosing Gigi, her own life and her own friends instead of what they want for her. I'm sad she and Andrew broke up though. But is Sheryl Crow really that big of a deal still?

Sharon's son was hilarious. I bet his father was just like him high school. Cricket getting flustered because of his smile was so bad.

Amanda and Carlene's brother was so cute! Where do I know that guy from?

Most likely Blake repressed who he was until later in life. They got married, had a kid (or more? I think we've just seen the daughter), but eventually he couldn't live with the lie any more.

I think they both knew he was gay when they got married. From past conversations they've had I think the marriage was always supposed to be one of convience for both of them. He married her to keep his secret and her father was probably on her back to get married.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:17 AM.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

Doesn't Sharon have three children?

I was trying to figure out whether she has another son or if Bozeman was one of the things they changed after the pilot. I could have sworn that he was the kid that took the picture of Amanda in the pilot, but then he wasn't seen again until last night's episode.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Cricket and Blake have a "white marriage" because he's gay. It was exposed in the pilot, and has been addressed in several episodes since.

Thanks. I suppose the wife's affection for him and jealousy of Leslie Bibb's character when she was hugging the husband threw me off. And, yes, they do seem like they genuinely love each other in some kind of way, so I failed to pick up on his sexuality in the episodes I had seen (I think I may have missed more of the episodes than I thought).

Edited by DS1, Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:24 AM.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

LMAO at Cricket's rendition of "Amazing Grace". You know why it bothered Carlene? Because SHE wasn't the one up there singing. Both actresses SOLD that, to me.

The comedy and casting on this is solid, with the exception of the 'sympathetic female lead'. Leslie Bibb, get off my screen, please! Scoot now!!!

emma675

emma675

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

I was trying to figure out whether she has another son or if Bozeman was one of the things they changed after the pilot. I could have sworn that he was the kid that took the picture of Amanda in the pilot, but then he wasn't seen again until last night's episode.

I think they recast both Bozeman and Landry (Carlene's son) from the pilot.

Bozeman cracked me up--especially when he got Cricket all flustered at the end. Plus, kudos to casting, that kid looks like he could be the real life son of the actor that plays Luke. I also really liked McKinney and Bozeman getting totally grossed out when they realized their parents were about to get it on.

I also totally cracked up during Cricket's inappropriate singing at the funeral and when Sharon was going on and on about how you should never be attracted to the pastor while Pastor Tudor was standing right there.

Edited by emma675, Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:27 AM.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Cricket's rendition of "Amazing Grace" at Bitsy's funeral also nearly did me in. The way they kept it in the background, how Cricket step to a startled Carlene, Cricket's "diva-ing" out during the "wretch like me" part, and - not to be outdone - that outrageous high-note head whistle she saved for the finish... I loved it all.

LOL, this was my favorite part of last night's episode. I probably startled my neighbors, I was howling so loud. Cricket is a trip and Carlene's horrified expression (horrified because it wasn't her up there acting a fool) was pitch perfect.

Another moment that had me rolling was Sharon calling the pastor and telling him she couldn't come to work because she was cooking dinner for her family. We don't hear his end of the conversation, but her "Well, praise the Lord back atchya!" pretty much told us all we needed to know (he can't wait to get rid of her, lol). Sharon's my favorite character so far.

The comedy and casting on this is solid, with the exception of the 'sympathetic female lead'. Leslie Bibb, get off my screen, please! Scoot now!!!

Aw, I like Amanda. She was great last night with Carlene's brother. She's just suffering right now IMO because she's the straight man on a show with a bunch of loons.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

No Blake in this episode? Is it because they had Eric Winter? What, is there a hottie quotient or something?

Most likely Blake repressed who he was until later in life. They got married, had a kid (or more? I think we've just seen the daughter), but eventually he couldn't live with the lie any more

Cricket definitely knew Blake's orientation when she married him, because she specifically said "You are what you are, and it's what I signed up for all those years ago."

I think they recast both Bozeman and Landry (Carlene's son) from the pilot.

They definitely did something, because I'd never seen Carlene's son - at least, that particular one - until last week's episode, and I'd never seen Bozeman (hilarious name BTW) until this one. We did see some pervy kids snapping photos of Amanda's ass at the Boobylicious in the pilot, but we haven't seen those kids since. And they looked younger than Landry and Bozeman, so I'm not sure if they were supposed to be other kids, or if there was a re-cast, or just what.

RE: Amanda's kids, I'm fine with them being recurring background characters. I love all the adult characters on the show and it doesn't need a teen storyline to carry it, or to dilute it.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

I'm really disappointed with this show's ratings given how much I like it. I knew that going against country music awards would be tough, but unless there's improvement next week, this show probably won't be back.

I guess the negative reviews, and IMO the problems with Amanda in the first two episodes were too much to overcome.

MsSweatpants

MsSweatpants

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Carlene's maiden name is Lord?

Knew I'd seen Eric Winter somewhere before, so I looked it up on IMDB,and they have him listed as "Luke Lourd."

Portino, did you read somewhere that the show was in danger of cancellation? Tv by the Numbers has them listed as a "likely" renewal.

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

Aw, I like Amanda. She was great last night with Carlene's brother. She's just suffering right now IMO because she's the straight man on a show with a bunch of loons.

QueenCharmisma, I want to like Amanda, I really do. I loved book-Amanda, because she had a lot of spunk and was not simply 'the mean girl'. TV-Amanda just hasn't given me anything to root for, up against the 'loons'. (LOL!) My biggest problem is that I think she was cast wrong, with Leslie Bibb. Every line delivery is just flat to me. Sure she had chemistry with Luke, on the most recent episode, but Eric Close could have chemistry with a tree. Wish they could just 'tweak' Ms. Bibb's portrayal or recast.

EmeraldBelle

EmeraldBelle

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

I'm loving this show! It's probably my new favorite show at the moment. Amanda's the weak link for me, but I'm really liking everyone else, especially now that we've had a few episodes and have gotten a bit more of an idea of who the characters are.

I think Cricket is probably my favorite so far. She's awful, but I can't help rooting for her. Her line last night about "a school in Wasilla with a great abstinence-only program" or however she worded it cracked me up. I really love her relationship with Blake, too. I can't think of anything else like it on TV, and yeah, it's unconventional, but they obviously love each other.

Also, did anyone else notice Blake making out with (I assume) Cricket in the previews? It was super quick, and you could really only see her hair, but I don't know who else it would've been. Obviously it's a dream or something, and maybe it'll make more sense in context, but right now I'm not sure what to think.

Houddy

And am I remembering wrong or didn't Cricket mention once that Amanda stole her boyfriend? If so, I can see Cricket being even more sensitive to Amanda and Blake getting close. Not that she's worried she'll steal him sexually but that she will steal him as a friend.

It's mentioned in the pilot that Cricket dated Bill in high school, and Amanda stole him from her. Amanda apologizes and makes some comment about how she'll never steal Blake, which I found interesting on rewatch since a couple episodes later she did try to steal him (well, not really, but obviously that's how Cricket saw it).

XJill

So happy Miriam got to sing! She'll always be Yitzhak to me (in the most fabulous way possible, god I LOVE Hedwig)

I agree! I love Hedwig, too, and she was the main reason I decided to watch the show. I'm happy she got to sing too, and a little surprised because I was expecting Kristin Chenoweth to be the only who'd sing. Also, apparently
Spoiler
, which will be interesting to see. I'm hoping Cricket will get to sing again, too, in a more serious context.

As for Sharon's kids, I think she just has the two, although the son was played by someone else in the pilot. Something made me think Cricket and Blake had another kid, though. I could've sworn one of them mentioned something about having two kids in one of the first couple episodes, but I've been rewatching them since my cable company has the episodes on demand, and unless I missed it, it hasn't come up yet, so I have no clue where I got that idea.

I was bored this morning, so I was messing around online and came across spoilery descriptions for the next three episodes:

"Turn the Other Cheek" (The first of next week's episodes)
Spoiler

"Sex is Divine" (The second of next week's episodes)
Spoiler

"Pride Comes Before a Fall" (4/15)
Spoiler

Obviously that last one is where
Spoiler
, but...whaaaaaaat the hell at
Spoiler
? If that means what I think it means, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I know that word can apply to several different things/situations, but I think the most common one (at least in my experience) is
Spoiler
. The wording is sort of vague, especially when combined with the first part of that sentence, so I guess it could mean
Spoiler
. In a way, I guess it would fit with
Spoiler
, but I just...what? Surely it was just worded weirdly, but if it is what I originally thought, the idea of
Spoiler
just seems bizarre to me.

Also, a spoiler from an interview with Mark Deklin:

Spoiler

Spoiler
Anyway, most of that is stuff we already know, but I think that last sentence is interesting, and I'm curious to see how this whole thing plays out.

MsSweatpants

Portino, did you read somewhere that the show was in danger of cancellation? Tv by the Numbers has them listed as a "likely" renewal.

Obviously I'm not Portino, but they haven't updated to include the ratings for last night's episode, which were pretty bad. I'm hoping it's just because of the country music awards, though, and they'll go back up next week. I'm really enjoying the show so I'm really hoping it'll be renewed!

Edited by EmeraldBelle, Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:35 PM.

Cyrax

Cyrax

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

No Blake in this episode? Is it because they had Eric Winter?

I call that the Mad Men syndrome, when they are unable to feature all regular cast members in every episode. I usually get annoyed because it's usually cheaply done and screen time is wasted elsewhere.

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I loved seeing Andrew tell Heather off for the way she was acting. He was totally right that she was just using him for what he could do for her. I cracked up at Cricket's reaction to Andrew calling her the most powerful woman in Dallas and a numbers whiz. Heather is neither of the above, lol. Heather continues to be ugly to Carlene and Cricket. Next to Amanda, Heather is easily the character I dislike the most. Carlene, Cricket and Sharon are awesome!

The whole Sharon story last night was the best part, from the pastor trying to politely get rid of her to the stuff with her son and the poor daughter feeling completely ignored once Bozeman was back. I agree with those who said the casting was great. I wonder if Cricket's daughter saw her get flustered by him?

ilovetvtime

ilovetvtime

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Mark Deklin is also on other tv shows - Hawaii Five-0 as Stan Edwards / Stan Parker and sometimes recurring as Kirk / Kirk Stark in Hot In Cleveland so expect sometimes he wont be on the show for these roles.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:15 PM

Every line delivery is just flat to me.

I can see that criticism. Everything I've seen her in has her speaking that way so I guess I just got used to it, lol. But she's inoffensive to me at this point. I just enjoy Carlene and Sharon so much that I barely remember anyone else is onscreen half the time.

Edited by QueenCharisma, Apr 2, 2012 @ 4:19 PM.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Heather continues to be ugly to Carlene and Cricket.

For me isn’t the complete opposite. Heather was dead on when she said that Carlene and Cricket are trying to keep her in her place as single working girl. A couple of weeks ago they shame her for her single status and Carlene quite literally lord her power over her by threatening to take away business for even daring to say that Amanda might not be so bad anymore. Seeing how they’ve been freezing her out and trying to ruin the fundraiser, I'd say good on her for proving them wrong even if she went about it the wrong way.

Edited by quangtran, Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:49 PM.

mspetite27

mspetite27

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I'm with you. When this show first started, it seemed like all 4 of them were friends. But as the episodes progressed, it seemed that they only liked Heather if she "stayed in her place". I think that they still see her as the single poor girl from the other side of the tracks. I like Cricket & Blake, but I must be the only person that doesn't see the big fuss about them. I did like her singing. I was asking myself is she a sistah? LOL!

smiley13

smiley13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:09 PM

From the way it appeared at the start of the show, Heather was friends with Carlene, Sharon and Cricket, but she quickly turned against them by taking up with Amanda, who had not been her friend for all that time. She had not even seen her in years. Heather is the one who broke the friendship and trust. It was only after that when the other ladies retaliated.

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

From the way it appeared at the start of the show, Heather was friends with Carlene, Sharon and Cricket, but she quickly turned against them by taking up with Amanda, who had not been her friend for all that time. She had not even seen her in years. Heather is the one who broke the friendship and trust. It was only after that when the other ladies retaliated.

All Heather did was treat Amanda decently and not totally shut her out or demean her. If their friendship requires her to be mean to other people and to have no other friends, then it wasn't much of a friendship to begin with.

clawdette

clawdette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:06 PM

And now for the completely superficial: I am so distracted by Amanda's hair that I can't concentrate on anything else whenever she's in a scene. I want to shampoo it and put the right amount of product in it before using the correct brush when blow drying. Or I want to cut it. Or anything else!

naneki78

naneki78

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Thank you clawdette. It is distracting! I'd love for Gigi to take her for a 'make-over'. Even if it's a big Texas hair-style make over.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Bozeman cracked me up--especially when he got Cricket all flustered at the end. Plus, kudos to casting, that kid looks like he could be the real life son of the actor that plays Luke. I also really liked McKinney and Bozeman getting totally grossed out when they realized their parents were about to get it on.

It was good casting in terms of matching father/son, even though I think the actor looks too old to be a teenager (even as compared to the 20-somethings who play teenagers on other networks) and his body is kind of out of proportion to his head, like he's worked out too much.

Edited by txhorns79, Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:24 PM.

RachelKM

RachelKM

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

All Heather did was treat Amanda decently and not totally shut her out or demean her. If their friendship requires her to be mean to other people and to have no other friends, then it wasn't much of a friendship to begin with.

I agree. Heather was simple civil initially and they acted like she'd sold military secrets to North Korea. A friend doesn't freeze you out for choosing to remain out of a fight. Especially considering Heather had such a close relationship with Gigi and it put her in a tough position to be uncivil to Gigi's daughter.

On to other matters, is anyone else confused by the timeline on this show. I got the impression that all the main women had been in the same grade in High School. Making them the same age. Then we have info that Amanda ran away 18 years ago to marry Bill and that she was pregnant. OK. Ad Gigi said it was before her debutante ball since Gigi specifically mentioned she didn't get to do it. This would seem to indicate that Amanda was no more than 20 (that's the oldest I really heard girls being for those things). OK.

We have the corresponding information that Amanda's father (or at least Gigi's husband - I assume Amanda's father) dies 18 years ago. Makes sense that that might have been a contributing factor. All of this makes sense for a very young Amanda having run off and married and gotten pregnant early.

However, it seems that all of the women have children who are 16/17 which means that all of them had babies the same year. Is that right. Did they all marry young and the issue with Amanda was the running away? Or am I wrong about Amanda being so young?