Skylar Laine

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

30 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Skylar Laine

anne uk

anne uk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Combine her stage presence, voice and the the country vote and this girl could go a very long way into the competition.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Top 13 Q&A:

What sets you apart from the other contestants?
Skylar Laine: Iím the only country person left in the group, so that sets me apart.

What do you need to improve to win the competition?
Skylar Laine: I need to work on how to put my country twang and making a ballad great or making other kinds of genres greatÖ. [When asked if sheíll take a page out of Scotty McCreery playbook by staying in her lane each week no matter what:] Of course I will. I will do that too, probably. I will stay to my country roots. Itís something that I have to do. Thatís how itís gonna work for me.

What one thing about yourself do you most want people to know that hasnít been covered on the show?
Skylar Laine: My idol is Miranda Lambert. I love her. Iím obsessed with her. I drive a big truck. Stuff like that.

This is the point when contestants often get makeovers ó anything youíd love or loathe to change?
Skylar Laine: I would love for them to do anything that they want because they are professionals and they know what theyíre doing. Iím just real excited to put myself in their hands.

Any specific theme nights youíre dreading or looking forward to?
Skylar Laine: [Dreading:] stuff like pop, probably, because sometimes putting a country twang to pop songs doesnít work out, so hopefully I pick the right song. Iím excited to do rock songs to put that country twang to it.

Who gives the most constructive and helpful feedback: Steven, Jennifer, or Randy?
Skylar Laine: They all do, but Randy has been very, very vocal with his feedback. I love that. Iíve taken it to heart. They all have and Iíve really taken it and run with it.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

They all do, but Randy has been very, very vocal with his feedback. I love that. Iíve taken it to heart. They all have and Iíve really taken it and run with it.

Maybe the judges are actually offering these kids some constructive criticism we haven't been privy to?

I would love for them to do anything that they want because they are professionals and they know what theyíre doing. Iím just real excited to put myself in their hands.

Has she ever watched this show before?

RoisterDoister

RoisterDoister

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

I'm not even that much of a country fan but I love this girl! She's just fun and has great stage presence.

bonita18

bonita18

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

My musical tastes are eclectic. I like Skylar she comes off as a spunky kind of gal- she reminds me of the actress in the Miss Firecracker movie (was it Holly? can't recall but Skylar reminds me of her).

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

I think Skylar is ass-kicking fabulous. Hope she stays around for a long time.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Skylar has been my pick for 3 weeks now. She's by far the most dynamic of the bunch on stage. The girl is so self assured - if only Lauren Alaina had half Skylar's fire last year! She's also super marketable ... part Kelly Clarkson, part Gretchen Wilson. My dark horse this season.

Edited by deedee2, Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:56 PM.

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

I was thinking of Kelly Clarkson when Skylar performed Wednesday. She has that Kelly Clarkson energy that I so enjoy.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:52 AM

This girl actually has that 'X Factor' that Simon Cowell wasted several months trying to find last year. I don't really like her kind of down home country, but she's so much fun to watch-confident, emotionally connected, playful- that I really expect her to do well post show. It makes me kind of mad that Jimmy Iovine claims he would sign Jessica and P2 on the spot, when they're so inferior in star quality compared to Sky. I do wish she had stuck with her last name, as the Laine/Alaina confusion won't help her later.

marie caroline

marie caroline

Couch Potato

• Interests:Brit soaps, reality shows,miniseries, reading biographies, mysteries and classic fiction, walking and people watching, particularly in NYC.

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

I like Skylar she comes off as a spunky kind of gal- she reminds me of the actress in the Miss Firecracker movie (was it Holly? can't recall but Skylar reminds me of her)

You are thinking of Holly Hunter, who played Carnelle Scott in that film, a spunky role if there ever was one, and there is a physical resemblance as well. I LOVED that movie. Skylar is definitely my favorite female in the competition and so much better than Lauren from last year. I have been voting for Heejun so he could make the tour, but I am going to start voting for Skylar now, although I think she will be safe for a while. I much prefer her to boring Jessica.

Wurlitzer

Wurlitzer

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I have a master's degree. I have a master's degree and a mortgage and I threw Skylar a couple of votes tonight (first time voting since..J.Hud?). Oh crud. Thanks for not boring me and knowing who you are and being comfortable with yourself, Skylar!!!!! I don't think the franchise wants another country idol, and I am not going to speculate on her post-idol longevity, but she breathes some life into the show. I appreciate that she can countrify a song (e.g., Where Do Broken Hearts Go) without being overly self-indulgent and obnoxious (i.e. Josh Gracin).

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:48 PM

I have a master's degree. I have a master's degree and a mortgage and I threw Skylar a couple of votes tonight

Rofl, what do degrees and mortgages have to do with voting on AI??

I agree - Skylar injects life and energy into this show. Of all the kids this year, she owns the stage and is a completely natural performer. Others have great voices too, but something about Skylar screams "star" to me. I hope she finds a successful post-Idol life because in many ways, she's the most promising of the group.

P.S. I also have a master's degree, but no mortgage. I do have a bank loan though! ;D

Wurlitzer

Wurlitzer

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

DeeDee, I think I was taking an introspective! When I started watching the show in Season 1 I was ashamed because I was about to head off to college and felt like voting was...well wrong. Here I am 10 years later...half grown up and still invested in this dang show and older than each and every contestant. I've come to terms with it and whole-heartedly embraced it for what it is, pure velveeta.

On topic - I wasn't totally surprised to see Skylar in the bottom 3. I'm interested to see how she takes Jimmy's constructive criticism. I think she is in a position to kill 80s night.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

Really kind of surprised and a little uneasy about Skylar being in the Bottom 3 this week. For me, at least, she came out of nowhere and sort of became one of my favorites this season, and I'm not even a fan of country. I love her voice and her whole vibe, she's like an edgier Lauren Alaina with a better voice too.

I hope she gets a bump in votes from the B3 appearance because she's Top 5 worthy, at least.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

Really kind of surprised and a little uneasy about Skylar being in the Bottom 3 this week.

Skylar has been my favorite since auditions and although I'd be crazy if I wasn't a little concerned I really think she was just a victim of going early on what turned out to be a very good night. I see no reason that DeAndre should have finished ahead of her but other than that you could make a case for all the rest who weren't B3.

Edited by siddalee, Mar 31, 2012 @ 9:56 AM.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I think Skylar ended up in the bottom three because she chose a very mediocre song (and I like Miranda Lambert). She also allowed Hollie to steal her country thunder with Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel." (I loathe that song, but it's got a great hook.)

Skylar's also making a HUGE mistake trusting those terrible Idol stylists. They may be "professionals," but they're used to dressing skinny bodies. I hope somebody helps this girl out with her styling. I'd hate to see her lose votes because of poor wardrobe coices. She's as cute as a button and shouldn't be difficult to dress well. Flowy, just-above-the-knee skirts, sexy cowboy boots, and a tight, form fitting jacket would look much better on her IMHO.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

If Lauren Alaina could get to second with her horrid tutu dresses then IMO nothing Skylar has worn so far is enough to make her lose votes. I don't think her style is great but there's been way worse on Idol. I think she wound up in the Bottom 3 last week because maybe the country voters know the real Miranda Lambert and weren't impressed with a so-so impersonation. Sure, she's not the first weaksauce version of an already famous singer to grace the Idol stage but the voting demographic leans a certain way and this is her thread, so...

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I thought Skylar was fantastic this past week. She looked AND sounded great. She pretty much left Hollie in the dust (and Colton on that duet!). For someone I really didn't care for early on, she's really grown on me. I think she's a much better singer and performer than Lauren Alaina. She's not as conventionally pretty but she's plenty cute enough. If Hollie is the next girl to go, it will be interesting to see how her votes get split between Skylar and Jessica.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I agree with you Boot, Skylar is like the little engine that could--the girl is just a natural performer, and unlike say Hollie, I think that she is ready to go out and be a Country Star. I like her very much and I'm not much of a Country person per se.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Did anybody else catch that not-so-subtle Randy Jackson de-pimp of Skylar this past week? He was all "Skylar's BAAACK!" as if she was anything but so great last week she got to close out the show to rave reviews. He's such an unbelievable tool, but his transparent effort to sabotage her suggests she must have done REALLY well in the voting last week. And she also survived opening the show this week, so she must have a pretty strong fanbase. It looks like TPTB think both she and Hollie are such a big threat to Jessica that they need to take them BOTH out. What else could explain the ridiculous storyline that "everybody" thinks Skylar and Colton are an item? There's more chemistry between Skylar and her gun than there is between her and Colton.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

He's such an unbelievable tool, but his transparent effort to sabotage her suggests she must have done REALLY well in the voting last week.

One can't rule out the possibility that he's just such an idiot he can't remember 5 minutes ago much less last week. I kind of think he actually caught himself when he said she's back and realized she didn't have anywhere to come back from so he tried to change it into "she's back on the Idol stage with another great performance" and it just wound up all tied into knots.

What else could explain the ridiculous storyline that "everybody" thinks Skylar and Colton are an item? There's more chemistry between Skylar and her gun than there is between her and Colton.

ITA. I've got nothing on this one.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

There's more chemistry between Skylar and her gun than there is between her and Colton.

Bwahaha! I hate their faux showmance more than I can say, and hell yeah Skylar didn't have to "come back" from anything; week-in , week-out, the girl gives a solid, and amazingly mature performance.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

In total agreement. Skylar is in my top 3 along with Elise and Joshua. I'm no country fan, but Skylar is just a fun performer with a great voice who I look forward to seeing every week. Just plunk her in a recording studio and put her out on tour. Girl is ready. Don't think I can say the same for the others -- even Elise and Josh, much as I do enjoy them, too.

Edited by deedee2, Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:46 PM.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I'm listening to her studio of "Show Must Go On," pretty freaking amazing, this really could be a contemporary hit.

Wurlitzer

Wurlitzer

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

OK, so which Nashville label is going to scoop her up? Usually when a favorite of mine gets kicked off I worry, but Skylar has got this!

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I despise country music, but Skylar was my fav performer of the top 5. I agree w/ the sentiment (& have stated it for weeks) that Skylar will have the most commercial success post-Idol out of anyone else (though I do think Jessica will make major noise in a few years)

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Still really bummed that Skylar's gone. She was my pick to take it all this season. She may not have been the best singer, but she was still pretty darn good and definitely knew how to perform and just rock out, which none of the remaining four seem capable of. I do hope (and believe) that she will have some success in country though.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:15 AM

From Lyndsey Parker's post boot interview with Skylar:

"I just want to do more mellow country songs, more like [Miranda Lambert's] 'The House That Built Me' and that kind of stuff. Just stuff that touches your heart, that doesn't have to have all these high parts in it."

I said a week or 2 aqgo that "The House that Built Me" was my dream song for Skylar, why in heavens couldn't AI have gotten that song cleared for her?

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

OK, so which Nashville label is going to scoop her up?

Interscope. It was never in doubt.