Phillip Phillips

• Please log in to reply

437 replies to this topic

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

Phillip Phillips is not going to please everyone, nor should he. Personally, I love his song choices with U Got It So Bad, Fat Bottom Girls and The Stone. Either you get Phillip Phillips or you don't. And for those who don't, it won't matter what he does, they will never be happy.

Thing is: Would it kill this guy to show some sort of versatility? Sure, "U Got It Bad" was a show of it, but beyond that, not much else, really.

And there's this question as posted by TVLine's Michael Slezak:

Is it smarter strategy to remain rigidly in one’s wheelhouse and play to one’s base, or does an Idol winner need to spread his wings and make certain his fan base doesn’t get bored or apathetic?

Sure, he's showing no signs of running out of gas, but as history shows, coupled with a closely-matched vote count between competitors, it wouldn't surprise me to see him Durbined/Doolittled/Gokeyed.

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I don't think James Durbin or Melinda Doolittle were eliminated because they were not versatile. Durbin, as with Danny Gokey were polo razing personalities. And Melinda Doolittle was older and the younger votes were going to align with Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis. In addition, in their seasons Scotty McCreery and Jordin Sparks were never been in the bottom.

Phillip has shown his own versaility in the kind of music he wants to do - and that worked enough to keep him out of the bottom. He's never going to sing a heart wrenching ballad. And with the contestants left, I can't really see anyone else getting up there and jamming with a group of musicians.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Is it smarter strategy to remain rigidly in one’s wheelhouse and play to one’s base, or does an Idol winner need to spread his wings and make certain his fan base doesn’t get bored or apathetic?

It worked for Scotty McCreary didn't it - or am I missing something?

theNightFog

theNightFog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

And it didn't work for Colton Dixon - or am I missing something?

Colton has said that by doing Bad Romance by Lady Gaga, it alienated his core fan base.

And I like Colton, he's Phil's best friend.

Edited by theNightFog, Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:47 PM.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

I don't think James Durbin or Melinda Doolittle were eliminated because they were not versatile. Durbin, as with Danny Gokey were polo razing personalities. And Melinda Doolittle was older and the younger votes were going to align with Jordin Sparks and Blake Lewis. In addition, in their seasons Scotty McCreery and Jordin Sparks were never been in the bottom.

The point wasn't so much as to WHY they got voted off but more of the fact that they DID get voted off without ever being in the bottom.

And it's "polarizing," not "polo razing."

Phillip has shown his own versaility in the kind of music he wants to do - and that worked enough to keep him out of the bottom. He's never going to sing a heart wrenching ballad. And with the contestants left, I can't really see anyone else getting up there and jamming with a group of musicians.

Considering that his performances have all melded together tot he point of indistinction, it's moot point.

As much as I like a singer-songwriter musician type as much as the next guy, I can't ignore the fact that (a) he's been turning up subpar performances as of late and (b) his "artistry" has turned all of his performances into mere continuations of performances prior.

It worked for Scotty McCreary didn't it - or am I missing something?

To be fair to Scotty, he has "You've Got a Friend" (which was more tender and heartfelt than his usuals) and "Gone" (which was more exciting and fun than his usuals).

And it didn't work for Colton Dixon - or am I missing something?

With Colton, he'd ALWAYS been turning songs upside-down and creating new ones, which made him more exciting as a performer. Problem with "Bad Romance" was: it was a bad song choice, period. And "September"... I guess people just really didn't like that classic turned upside down (which TBH, was miles better than what Gokey or Anwar came up with)

lazyhazydays

lazyhazydays

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

The point wasn't so much as to WHY they got voted off but more of the fact that they DID get voted off without ever being in the bottom.

And 7 out of the last 10 winners were never in the bottom. I disagree - the WHY is important, since the claim was made that Phillip lacked versaility. There were other factors that lead to Durbin, Gokey, Doolittle being voted off.

To be fair to Scotty, he has "You've Got a Friend" (which was more tender and heartfelt than his usuals) and "Gone" (which was more exciting and fun than his usuals).

And to be fair, Phillip's also had U Got It Bad, In The Midnight Hour, The Stone, Still Rainin, Fat Bottom Girls, Hard To Handle.

I can't ignore the fact that (a) he's been turning up subpar performances as of late and (b) his "artistry" has turned all of his performances into mere continuations of performances prior.

That's subjective, personal opinion, preference, etc. Because obviously the majority don't feel that way. He's still here in the competition.

Edited by lazyhazydays, Apr 29, 2012 @ 9:55 PM.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Either you get Phillip Phillips or you don't.

Phillip Phillips isn't exactly a proposition from Wittgenstein [tm Basil Fawlty]. I GET Phillip Phillips; I don't LIKE what I GET---or see, or hear. Especially hear.

Hilarious! I get P2 also. In fact, I used to love what I was getting. Now I'm marking it "Return to Sender." I had high hopes for him, so I'm annoyed that he doesn't seem bright enough to pull off THE BIG MOMENT where he hands-down wins the season--wins over all of (or a lot of) the haters, the way Kris Allen did with "Heartless." He came close with Usher, but then it was back to the same-old, same-old. I still think he's gorgeous, but the frustration I have with him is diminishing it.

I get P2, but my overall feeling keeps being "Is that ALL I'm getting?" Because I can only cut so much slack for a slacker, and that's what he has become for me.

Edited by Shira, Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:32 PM.

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Studio Recording of The Stone

MJ is not a fanatic. MJsBlog is not a fan site. But The Stone is getting very positive feedback.

Edited by weekendhiatus, Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

In the words of my little sister (as fangirly as a girl can get): "Phil is hot, but every song sounds the same...plus he doesn't really 'sing" so much as he growls. So over him"

I liked P2 at first like many but he's totally lost me.

Trg07

Trg07

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Out of the songs we heard tonight, I wish Phillip had picked Fortunate Son and You Are So Beautiful.

Edited by Trg07, May 2, 2012 @ 9:17 PM.

hansi54

hansi54

Just Tuned In

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I think when he makes that grimacing face, he's actually reaching for a note at the top of his "limited" range.

altopower

altopower

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

I didn't think PP looked well at all last night. Does anyone know if he's still having kidney related problems?

jamesonandwater

jamesonandwater

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

P2 is the only one of those left who would have an outside chance of getting any of my buying dollars, as I do tend to listen to WGWGs like Neil Young and Turin Brakes and so on, but for me he's WELL outstayed his welcome on the show, and last night was ... not good. People keep calling the guy a "singer songwriter type" and "an artist" and at this point I'm interested in if he actually is either of those things (can he write? what tunes is he coming up with in all the footage of him strumming backstage? does he have anything to say?). Or is he just a cutish slacker who likes noodling on his guitar? I'm not sure winning and getting given a bunch of sub-David-Gray material, which I fear would happen, would be very interesting for anyone.

As to the sickness thing, people keep mentioning this but does anyone actually know if the man is still ill? I didn't think he looked that bad (although I'm a pale person myself) but he might be tired, or over the Idol experience, or have caught the cold Seacrest had last week, or his girlfriend being in town may have worn him out (hem, hem).

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Does anyone know if he's still having kidney related problems?

I don't know if he's having kidney related problems--unless his kidney is connected to his voice box, which would then explain why he can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Edited by Ohwell, May 3, 2012 @ 12:40 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

DialIdol has P2 dead last this week. Their margin of error is wide, but there is a big gap between #4 and Phillip. This may be his week to sing us out.

Been having this debate(ish) on another site. I think up until maybe 2 weeks ago, Nigel et al wanted Phil to win -- or at least, they wouldn't have minded if he did. Now I feel them deliberately lowering the volume on the PhilPhil love, and blaring the Joshua love in an effort to push Philip out of the game.

Consider what Joshua received last night: 1)praise as the best singer the show has ever seen, 2)praise as the best singer in 50 years! 3)the only standing ovation of the night, 4)Jimmy Iovine guaranteeing him a record deal, 5) JLo reiterating the record deal thing later in the show, calling for Jimmy to choose good material for the first album.

A couple of weeks ago, JLo was telling Phil she was nervous he wasn't picking the songs that will get him to the finale, and to the win. Now it's all about Joshua. The clincher for me was Nigel's decision to introduce Phil's girlfriend to his female fan base. Subtle, but we cynical Idol watchers know their manipulative tactics well!

Thoughts?

Edited by deedee2, May 3, 2012 @ 1:45 PM.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

The clincher for me was Nigel's decision to introduce Phil's girlfriend to his female fan base. Subtle, but we cynical Idol watchers know their manipulative tactics well!

I had the same thought!

I think they've been pretty high on Joshua for awhile but I think P2's time is coming to an end.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

PhilPhil hasn't produced. A few weeks ago, he was being compared to Joe Cocker. So he sings a Joe Cocker song and failed miserably. Jimmy Iovine and the rest of the Idol infrastructure have cooled on PhilPhil because they've spent the past weeks listening to him. They know better than the viewing public that he just doesn't live up to the initial excitement that his looks and his 'artistry' created. If introducing PhilPhil's girlfriend is enough to lose him the contest, then he doesn't deserve to win over contestants who are leap years more talented than he is.

Robert Plant commented on Elise's performance of a Zeppelin song. India.Arie commented on Joshua's performance of 'Ready For Love'. Did Dave Matthews have anything to say about PhilPhil's performance of his song?

Edited by roydenlea, May 3, 2012 @ 1:35 PM.

jamesonandwater

jamesonandwater

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

His bassist Stefan Lessard did, royden, on twitter about "The Stone" and I think it was pretty positive, telling him good job and he showed heart:

http://twitter.com/#!/SLESSARD

ETA: On going to Lessard's twitter to try to find that original comment, I see him mentioning that DMB has done Time Of The Season on tour, wtf, is that where P2 got the idea? :D

Edited by jamesonandwater, May 3, 2012 @ 1:43 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

I see him mentioning that DMB has done Time Of The Season on tour, wtf, is that where P2 got the idea

Oh, is that why? I thought Phil chose that song for the line "what's your name, who's your Daddy". Michael Slezak ('Idoloonies') hasn't stopped mentioning that time when Phil said backstage, "What's your number? Does your Daddy let you date?", after JLo flirted with him post-performance. LOL, it was sexy, I'll admit, and I thought Phil might be riffing off that.

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

What's the latest update on his health?

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Like the TWOP recapper said: "sick like a fox"

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Did Dave Matthews have anything to say about PhilPhil's performance of his song?

Actually Stefan Lessard, the lead bassist for the Dave Matthews Band said:

Stefan Lessard‏@SLessardReply
Good job on The Stone @PPhillipsAI11. You showed courage and heart and I thought @YO_RANDYJACKSON gave the best feedback. Well Done!

Edited by weekendhiatus, May 4, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Dave Matthews: Idol’s Phillip Phillips Should Take Over My Band

Heh.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:51 AM

I haven't thought much of P2 this season, but just possibly he had a "Heartless" Moment with Volcano... dammit, I can't stop listening to him do this effing song--who knew that he had it in him?

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:49 AM

One of the things that bugs me about PP was very much on display last night. His raspy voice isn't the result of years of singing in smoky noisy bars a la Tom Waits or Bob Seger, it's an affectation. When he's forced to sing an actual melody, he has a perfectly ordinary, un-raspy voice.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

but just possibly he had a "Heartless" Moment with Volcano...

I hate to admit it but I agree with this. I never liked Phil and I thought he should have been gone weeks ago. However, he stuck around long enough for me to finally enjoy one of his performances. Although the singer and cellist really helped him; they all blended together well.

Edited by Ohwell, May 10, 2012 @ 10:06 AM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

but just possibly he had a "Heartless" Moment with Volcano...

I certainly think Phil did a good job on Volcano but I don't see it as a heartless moment for a number of reasons. One, it wasn't a radical rearrangement of the song. Two, Phil was probably the favorite at this point in the competition whereas Kris may have been going home without that performance. "Heartless" changed the outlook of the entire competition. And finally, "volcano" was overshadowed by the last two performances. Joshua and Jessica really threw down the gauntlet with their performances. And even if you didn't like them, those are the two performances with buzz. "Heartless" was the only memorable performance from that night of competition so I think "volcano" was competing against stiffer compeition on that particular night which lessened its impact.

Edited by MV007, May 10, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

I'd compare "Volcano" to Allen's "Falling Slowly," which as I recall Kris didn't change up either, and did as simply as P2 did last night--sometimes a song is just so perfect that it shouldn't be touched, and kudos to P2 for recognizing that and introducing me to this exquisite song.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

I'd compare "Volcano" to Allen's "Falling Slowly," which as I recall Kris didn't change up either, and did as simply as P2 did last night--sometimes a song is just so perfect that it shouldn't be touched, and kudos to P2 for recognizing that and introducing me to this exquisite song.

I saw Slezak mention that too and I can kind of agree with that. I think Falling slowly was a prettier vocal but the subtlty and intelligence of the performances are similar. I see the comparisons there much more than I do to a "heartless".

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

This is great news considering that the town population of Leesburg is only about 3,000. This is also the home town of Country star Luke Bryan and World Series Champion San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey.

Phillip brings profits – Just how big of a boost is an “Idol” hometown visit these days? Let’s just say that in 24 hours, Phillip Phillips spending time in his hometown of Leesburg, Georgia provided over half a million dollars in business.

According to some local reports, Phillip’s presence in the area brought in approximately $550,000 in the Lee County and Albany area, at least according to the Albany Convention and Visitors Bureau. If this doesn’t put a whole new perspective on power-voting, we don’t know what will. (If we were a restaurant owner in Leesburg, we’d spend hours every week voting.)