Phillip Phillips

• Please log in to reply

436 replies to this topic

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 5:20 AM

Dude has made a strategic decision to be the Daughtry. No way does he want to win. He probably figured out that he can't win anyway.

He'll go out just about Top 5 and hopefully will have established some anti-AI cred.

It's a gamble, but I think it is the correct one for him.

qurtalain

qurtalain

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

I think Phil 2 has a good chance of winning. The 'fantasy boyfriend' vote coupled with his WGWG thing is working pretty well for him. I think he's utterly gorgeous but his voice is very off-putting. Everything he sings sounds so dirge-like and the vein that pops out when he screams the last lines of a song make me wanna hide behind the sofa.

Incidentally, his twitter is filled with a ton of 'be yourself' comments. I imagine that for him any kind of compromise is akin to selling out. His position is bolstered by fans telling him he's an 'indie artist'. He thinks he's too good for this competition. I think he needs to be more humble about the opportunities and exposure he's getting.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

Dude has made a strategic decision to be the Daughtry. No way does he want to win. He probably figured out that he can't win anyway.
He'll go out just about Top 5 and hopefully will have established some anti-AI cred

I don't think this guy could strategize his way out of a paper bag. And if he were looking to Daughtry's story as a guide, he'd know that Chris was riding the crest of an enormously popular genre at just the right time, and despite his success, has never been accepted as a 'real' rocker by the rock world. He's also never lost the Idol connection, although his intro by DJs usually includes 'shockingly eliminated'. eta: Chris was more shocked than anyone when he was booted, and definitely didn't like it; he wanted to win.
Phil's genre, however you define it, is certainly not one that will have him all over the radio, selling millions, like Daughtry. And I suspect it will not look kindly on the Idol connection, no matter what position he leaves in.

Edited by the macguffin, Apr 7, 2012 @ 7:48 AM.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

But still, he shouldn't have said that thing about touching hands because it looked like he was putting down all the others who do it (which is almost everyone ... including Kelly Pickler!).

I also think it's a slam (albeit unintentional, apparently) to the fans in the front rows who are holding out their hands to be "touched by greatness." (Blech.) When he said that, they all probably crawled back about three feet. He needs to do more damage control next week. Not everybody is reading his online apologies/explanations--he needs to say it on the show--without digging himself in deeper. I like him, but I'm already growing so weary of the "I'm just tryin' to be myself" stuff. The guy needs some serious media training. Well, that's the price of fame: you've gotta watch every little thing you say and do, or the internet unleashes its wrath.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

He'll go out just about Top 5 and hopefully will have established some anti-AI cred.

I understand this sentiment, but after watching and following people for the past 4 or 5 seasons, I've learned one thing. You can't escape the anti-AI crowd nevermind establishing cred with them. If your goal is to go against the AI machine then you will lose. You'll hurt your credibility within the machine and not gain anything outside of it.

And I agree with the poster upthread that said Phil couldn't strategize his way out of a paper bag. The guy doesn't seem smart enough to do that nor do I think he's calculated enough.

Edited by MV007, Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:58 PM.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

He needs to try out for Philadelphia Phillies.

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

[url="1. Phillip Phillips, "American Idol": There's no other contestant on either "American Idol" or "The Voice" I love more than Phillip Phillips at the moment. He earned my love all over again during '80s week on "Idol," taking "That's All" by Genesis and phillip-phillipsing it into something totally his and totally appealing. And then his crazy chicken-necked stroll across the stage while dueting with Elise Testone on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" put him right over the top."]Los Angeles Times - American Idol - The Voice: Is Phillip Phillips The Best Of All?[/url]

1. Phillip Phillips, "American Idol": There's no other contestant on either "American Idol" or "The Voice" I love more than Phillip Phillips at the moment. He earned my love all over again during '80s week on "Idol," taking "That's All" by Genesis and phillip-phillipsing it into something totally his and totally appealing. And then his crazy chicken-necked stroll across the stage while dueting with Elise Testone on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" put him right over the top.

Edited by weekendhiatus, Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:47 PM.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

He earned my love all over again during '80s week on "Idol," taking "That's All" by Genesis and phillip-phillipsing it into something totally his and totally appealing. And then his crazy chicken-necked stroll across the stage while dueting with Elise Testone on "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" put him right over the top.

For the life of me, I do not get how his '80s Week performance was appealing at all. General consensus (a.k.a. WhatNotToSing.com) shows that the performance was his career worst: a dismal 36. Then again, with performances that sound so indistinct, I guess this stood out for the wrong reasons. As for the duet, I didn't particularly care much for it.

As for the Results Show powwow, seems to me like he needs a quarter to buy himself a clue. For both misunderstanding and taking Jimmy's comment literally and most importantly, for acting dismissive about being told that he produced something subpar and that he needed to improve his craft.

P2, being yourself is fine. Thinking that you don't need to improve, however, is NOT fine.

And LOL at the strategizing thing upthread. I never even thought of going there, but wow!

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Yea I appreciate his ability to make every song sound like its his but he was awful on 80s night. I thought he ruined that duet because he was overpowering Elise with his off pitch singing. For me he has this one pocket where he sings almost all of his songs where he sounds ok. Then for everything else he sounds awful.

theNightFog

theNightFog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

Well, if Adam Lambert can survive calling fans sweat & smelly.......which IMO, that whole got thing got blown way out of proportion.

I actually can understand how Phillip could have misinterpret what Jimmy was saying. It was late in the hr after a long night, down to him and Elise. Everyone was exhausted. And the Idols have often said that with the live audience screaming, it's often difficult to hear what they are being told.

Phil has even said he didn't feel he gave his best performance. He's also never claimed to be the best singer, etc.

IMO, the best singer technically is actually Josh; not the over hyped ballad queens.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

weekendhiatus- Your link goes nowhere.

Well, if Adam Lambert can survive calling fans sweat & smelly

yeah, but that was post-show. If he had called them that during the show, would it have affected his vote?

Edited by the macguffin, Apr 8, 2012 @ 5:33 PM.

Bunny LaJoya

Bunny LaJoya

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

This is driving me crazy. What is the acoustic guitar song he and his brother-in-law Ben Neil were playing in that introduction clip?

They were both playing in a bar or something, and then there's "Woo woo" at the beginning of the song, or something.

NoteForMyself

NoteForMyself

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Stefan Lessard is the bassist for The Dave Matthews Band. He had tweeted the following today.

Stefan Lessard‏@SLessardReply

@PPhillipsAI11 Shit dude, I would perform with you on Idol! Show Randy some chops

@PPhillipsAI11 Ha ha, let me know if you need a band, I know some guys.

“@PPhillipsAI11: @SLessard dang man, you get more tweets about me than i do hahaha” Ha ha! Good luck dude, I guess I need to watch Idol!

Edited by NoteForMyself, Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:51 PM.

theNightFog

theNightFog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Phillip and Colton are the only two who have never been in the bottom.

The money shot tonight was both of them on the couch, Colton lying against Phillip and Phillip stroking Colton's hair.

lazyhazydays

lazyhazydays

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

This was part of the interview that Randy Jackson and Steven Tyler did with MTV regarding the Saved this week:

Of course, Jackson was also quick to admit that both Dixon and Phillips are strong contenders for the season 11 crown (which is probably why "Idol" mentor Jimmy Iovine spent so much time this week trying to pit them against each other), and he saved a particular bit of praise for Phillips and his, uh, unique approach to the competition.

"He's his own guy, that's what I love about him. He's an individual, Steven's an individual; that's what a real artist is made of," Jackson said. "An artist is not usually a follower; you want to be your own person. So I love that about him."

houseofmine

houseofmine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

Phillip Phillips knock it out of the park and then some.

2 great performances. Usher's U Got It Bad and Wilson Pickett's In The Midnight Hour.

He deserved his Standing Ovation. Congrats!!!

Edited by houseofmine, Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:46 AM.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

He sings like he only knows half of an octave LOL

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

The only standing ovation of the night. Congrats!!!

Pretty sure Joshua got two standing ovations for his performances.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 8:56 AM

Was it just me or does he often either side-eye the camera facing him or just not face the camera at all?

And I don't get the smiling on that sad Usher song, as much as that was one of his better performances. Good to listen to, but to watch, not so much.

His whole night last night? One step forward with the Usher song, two steps back with the Then song. Frustrating!

Purplish

Purplish

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

I am really enjoying Phillip Phillips this year. I grew up about 20 miles from Leesburg, GA, where he is from, so it is great to have a contestant with no accent.

It is interesting that Luke Bryan, who is having a pretty good run on the country charts, is also from Leesburg.

tinybrushes

tinybrushes

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

And I don't get the smiling on that sad Usher song, as much as that was one of his better performances. Good to listen to, but to watch, not so much.

I find his facial expressions distracting, but in this case I'm not sure he was "smiling" as much as "grimacing". Just that the way his face is structured, the visibility of the pearly whites, and his tendency to look strained whatever the emotion of the song might be make the two expressions a harder to differentiate in him than might be ideal.

HerRoyalHighnes

HerRoyalHighnes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Does anyone know why he wasn't in the Ford commercial?
I'm guessing he is being pushed so hard w/ two performances, press, etc that he needed to sit that out to rest up, but that is only a guess.

hjohnson

hjohnson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

I find his facial expressions distracting, but in this case I'm not sure he was "smiling" as much as "grimacing". Just that the way his face is structured, the visibility of the pearly whites, and his tendency to look strained whatever the emotion of the song might be make the two expressions a harder to differentiate in him than might be ideal.

After watching the Usher performance... a few times... I have to agree, I don't think he's smiling, I think that's just his face. To get certain notes or the certain quality, his mouth just moves up that way and it's sort of telling near the end of the song where it looks like he's smiling (around the lyric "thinkin bout someone else") but then he leans back and lets out a breath and it fades fast. In comparison to the other song he sang where he looked like he was having a good time and smiling when he wasn't singing, he wasn't smiling on the Usher song when he wasn't singing.

Even if I didn't like his voice (which I do a lot) I couldn't hate the guy because he genuinely looks like he's having a blast and cares for the other contestants and understands his faults to a degree. That alone makes me not want him to win though so he doesn't get the wrath of the WGWG.

Trg07

Trg07

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

I'm glad Phillip sang a Dave Matthews Band song just to get it out of the way, though I thought the song was kind of boring. He'd have been better off with The Cave by Mumford and Sons. That song is right up his alley and people have heard it before.

If he wanted to shake things up, he should sing a song by a woman. No one would expect that and I think he could do a good job with something like Come to My Window by Melissa Etheridge. I know that song's been done on the show before, but never by a man as far as I know.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Come to My Window by Melissa Etheridge. I know that song's been done on the show before, but never by a man as far as I know.

Patrick Hall - Season 5. Sigh. I still mourn his loss.

NoteForMyself

NoteForMyself

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Stefan Lessard is the lead bassist for the Dave Matthews Band.

Stefan Lessard‏@SLessardReply
Good job on The Stone @PPhillipsAI11. You showed courage and heart and I thought @YO_RANDYJACKSON gave the best feedback. Well Done!

From Elise's exit interview:

Was there one contestant she was closest with throughout the competition? “I was definitely closest with Phillip. We had really nice talks and we’re kind of on the same page.”

Will she team up with Phillip Phillips on the tour for a duet? “Hopefully. I still haven’t seen that set list, so I’m not sure, but I’m definitely going to put in a strong request for it.”

Edited by NoteForMyself, Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

If he wanted to shake things up, he should sing a song by a woman. No one would expect that

If he REALLY wanted to shake things up, he should LOSE THE GUITAR FOR A WEEK!!

No one would really expect that.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

If he REALLY wanted to shake things up, he should LOSE THE GUITAR FOR A WEEK!!

I want him to shake things up, too, but he's already played several songs without the guitar. Offhand: the two duets with Elise, the Black Crowes song, the Wilson Picket song, plus some of his audition round songs. The guitar isn't the thing that bothers me right now--I'm fine with it, and I probably prefer him with it. For me, the problem is he just seems lazy with the song choices and performances. I had great hopes for him, but he's flat-lining for me.

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

For me, the problem is he just seems lazy with the song choices and performances.

Phillip Phillips is not going to please everyone, nor should he. Personally, I love his song choices with U Got It So Bad, Fat Bottom Girls and The Stone. Either you get Phillip Phillips or you don't. And for those who don't, it won't matter what he does, they will never be happy.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:25 PM

Either you get Phillip Phillips or you don't.

Phillip Phillips isn't exactly a proposition from Wittgenstein [tm Basil Fawlty]. I GET Phillip Phillips; I don't LIKE what I GET---or see, or hear. Especially hear.

Edited by LennieB, Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.