TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Phillip Phillips

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

The love child of Dave Matthews and Eddie Vedder? I'll confess, I didn't think the kid deserved to get through the Hollywood rounds based on what we heard of his singing, but I was mesmerized by his performance this week. He just has "it" whatever "it" is. Can anybody stop him?

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

I'm calling it right now: He will win. It can't be any more obvious. He's a WGWG (that right there puts him in the finale) and seems to have the biggest fan base. I don't think he deserves it, but I know it's going to happen and this season's just going to be his coronation stretched out for two and a half months. He'll then go on to sell 14 albums a la Lee DeWyze.

Should be a fun season.

fruity tooty

fruity tooty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

Can anybody stop him?

I think people are forgetting about what happened with Paul McDonald last year. He had all the same unbeatable qualities as P2 but didn't come anywhere near the finale. I think P2 is stoppable but I'm not sure who that will be just yet.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

TPTB actually had Ryan tell the world that they want a girl winner. They aren't going to let Phil Phillips stand in their way.

Unless P2 can do something other than his Dave Matthews imitation, I think he'll wear out his welcome eventually, even if Nigel doesn't set up themes that don't suit him, or have the sound sabotaged, or put him in the death spot every week. I have no idea if he can sing, because so far all he's done is growl and shout and mumble, and he arranges everything to sound virtually the same, IMO. (And I say this as someone who likes Phil).

theNightFog

theNightFog

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

Phillips is 21, single, has the All American boy next door good looks - no comparison to Lee Dewyze who is short and chubby. P2 loves his family and loves sports. He already has the biggest Twitter following of all the AI contestants this season. Jimmy Iovine goes on record and says he is what this show needs - someone who is unique and different - and is ready to sign him now.

He is a guy from the South who speaks with a drawl, but does not sing Country music. His BFF on the show is Heejun. And Phillip actually has gotten very good critical reviews.

Scotty McCreery was the first to be called into the Top 13 last season. Kris Allen who was practically invisible during the first part of his season managed to have a platinum selling single.

Edited by theNightFog, Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:09 AM.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Top 13 Q&A:

What sets you apart from the other contestants?
Phillip Phillips: Iím just trying to change the songs up to make them my own. I donít know if anyone plays the guitar on the show. Iím just trying to be myself.

What do you need to improve to win the competition?
Phillip Phillips: Just to be able to read music.

What one thing about yourself do you most want people to know that hasnít been covered on the show?
Phillip Phillips: Iím not trying to sell an image or anything. Iím just trying to sell the music and hope it touches someoneís heart and soul and whatnot. [When asked if weíd learn his middle name on the show:] No. We donít speak of the middle name. Itís a secret. Maybe youíll find out. I havenít told anyone else. I gotta keep some mystery here.

This is the point when contestants often get makeovers ó anything youíd love or loathe to change?
Phillip Phillips: Iím not really a flashy guy. Iím not about the image. I like wearing jeans and shirts, just wanna be myself. I hate wearing makeup. Itís very strange.

Any specific theme nights youíre dreading or looking forward to?
Phillip Phillips: [Dreading:] probably a pop week, if thereís a pop week. I donít know. Iíll try to figure something out. [Looking forward to:] any kind of jazz or blues stuff.

Who gives the most constructive and helpful feedback: Steven, Jennifer, or Randy?
Phillip Phillips: They all have given me good criticism. They all have told me that Iím a true artist. That really felt good for them to say that.

MillieLee

MillieLee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I think there's something magical and insanely attractive about him (and I don't just mean his looks). I'd buy his albums and I'd love to see him perform live. I didn't watch auditions or Hollywood week so the only performance of his that I've seen is In The Air Tonight, but I loved it. I agree that he need to change it up a bit if he wants to stay in the competition. I'd say he's a sure pick at least to the top 4, but I don't see him winning.

IMCallingIT

IMCallingIT

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I think P2 is stoppable but I'm not sure who that will be just yet.

I am not sure why Phillip should be stopped for the sake of being stopped. America voted him in the Top 10 and he should be allowd to compete just like everyone else.

Unless P2 can do something other than his Dave Matthews imitation, I think he'll wear out his welcome eventually

Like Scotty McCreery and his Josh Turner Turn The Lights Down Low? Because that's where Scotty was during this early phase of the competition last year.

TPTB actually had Ryan tell the world that they want a girl winner. They aren't going to let Phil Phillips stand in their way

They've been saying that for years.

Jimmy Iovine goes on record and says he is what this show needs - someone who is unique and different - and is ready to sign him now.

Exactly.

Phillips is 21, single, has the All American boy next door good looks - no comparison to Lee Dewyze who is short and chubby.

Phillip is also very charming and likeable in interviews.

Edited by IMCallingIT, Mar 3, 2012 @ 11:05 AM.

Whitney8122

Whitney8122

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Phillips is 21, single, has the All American boy next door good looks

Not single - his girlfriend of three years has been verrrry active on Twitter. Curious as to whether or not TPTB will make him keep that under wraps to appease his fanbase (OMG we still have a chance with him!) or go the Kris Allen route and expose her to the world. (Granted, Kris Allen had a wife, not a girlfriend.)

fruity tooty

fruity tooty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I am not sure why Phillip should be stopped for the sake of being stopped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for him getting unfairly bussed by TPTB or anything like that. But I do hope that we end the reign of the cute white guys who happen to play guitars winners that AI has become. Of the boys that made the Top 13, he's my favorite (ngl, mostly cuz of his adorable face and sexy growling...lol) but he's not the strongest singer and there are at least three girls (Elise, Hollie and Jessica) who are much better vocalists than him.

no comparison to Lee Dewyze who is short and chubby.

...and a blackhole of charisma.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Like Scotty McCreery and his Josh Turner Turn The Lights Down Low? Because that's where Scotty was during this early phase of the competition last year.

Scotty was the exception to the rule, as far as I'm concerned (and not in a good way). He basically did the same song every performance, IMO, but I guess that's been discussed to death.

Phil does have the advantage over Lee of having a discernible personality, yes.

Tickled to hear he's got an entrenched, Twitter-happy gf, that will drive the usual demographic crazy. For P2's sake I hope she's not like those idiots Lee and Durbin married.

moww

moww

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

When Scotty is without a guitar, he can really perform. I hope Philip has other styles than what I've seen so far because that would be borning week after week.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

P2 along with Jessica are my top two. I only find him interesting when he's singing. He's charismatic on the stage.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

While I really like his guitar playing, clearly he needs to be able to compete without it. Personally, I think his audition version of "Superstition" was pretty darn good sans guitar, assuming you like that style of singing (which I completely understand not everybody does). Frankly, I worry more about his blowing out a vocal cord than anything. And I agree that he's the polar opposite of Lee DeWyze when it comes to charisma. Also, love him or hate him, Phillip seems to sing in key!

Here's a link to a story on him prior to the show: Phillip Phillips has hit the local the music scene like a rocket! I know some folks were scratching their heads at the Dave Matthews comparisons (which left me scratching my head!), but it's official:

The musician he admires most is Dave Matthews. When Phillip is enjoying his personal ďchill timeĒ, he enjoys artists like; Tool, Mumford & Sons and Jonny Lang, just to name a few.

I happen to love Jonny Lang and Mumford & Son, too, so this is good news as far as I'm concerned.

chesslover

chesslover

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

I bet he can do a decent Fat Albert, and shill for jello pudding.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

Any other Canadians/Canadian Idol fans here? If so, did you guys know there was a third, much-better Pigott brother?

Phil had me in his audition, and then lost me in Hollywood with his "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"---like Reed's "scatting", his performance style seemed to involve very little singing and a lot of schtick (in Phil's case, abandoning the melody entirely in favour of "uh-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-no-yeah"s). But he got me back around his Phil-Phillips-upped "Nice and Slow". What kind of demented genius do you have to be to do that to a song by Usher? David Cook and Kris Allen got all kinds of credit for singing covers of other people's changed-up covers---"He sang Chris Cornell's 'Billie Jean' instead of Michael Jackson's! What a genius!"---but as far as I know, the idea of doing that specific thing to that specific Usher song was Phillip's. This, right here, is an artist.

Similarly, his "In The Air Tonight" bugged me---he's replaced his "no"s and "yeah"s with..."exactly"s, apparently---but he's still got that star factor that the others just don't, and I'm sure he'll do something awesome next week that will get me back. And then the following week. And then every subsequent week until he wins.

NoteForMyself

NoteForMyself

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Phillip Phillips‏@PPhillipsAI1

cant believe @HHanAI11 and his family adopted me....nevermind he said its the worst decision ever. bite me heejun!

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

He is a guy from the South who speaks with a drawl, but does not sing Country music.

Yeah, I found it *fascinating* in his montage segment that his sisters had no accent at all, and he does. Cynical, me?

And Johnny Lang! That's who he's imitating! I agree that he doesn't *sound* like Dave Matthews but does it matter if he looks like DM's blond younger brother and has his moves memorized to cheerleading squad precision?

I know it's hopeless to dream, but I want PP gone.

Nedsdag

Nedsdag

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

I know it's hopeless to dream, but I want PP gone.

In the immortal words of the man once known as Steven Tallarico: "Dream On!"

Mayberry

Mayberry

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

Yeah, I found it *fascinating* in his montage segment that his sisters had no accent at all, and he does. Cynical, me?

But his sisters did have accents. And, if you remember, when his parents spoke they had accents too.

Edited by Mayberry, Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:05 AM.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

David Cook and Kris Allen got all kinds of credit for singing covers of other people's changed-up covers---"He sang Chris Cornell's 'Billie Jean' instead of Michael Jackson's! What a genius!"---

To be completely fair to these two, David Cook re-arranged a Mariah Carey song that was really really good. And Kris Allen completely changed "She works hard for the money". And I've never heard either of those songs done like that before. I thought Phil's rendition of "In the air tonight" was originial but I also thought it was terrible. I think MMV on that performance. But still it was nice to see someone do something unique like DC and KA.

lazyhazydays

lazyhazydays

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:14 AM

A really fun, lively, entertaining performance of Superstitious by Phillip tonight. He was definitely in his element. And what can I say, the camera loves this guy.

I also think he's playing his cards right. This is only the start of the Top 13 and I don't want to see him peak too soon.

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:40 AM

I'm so incredibly bored with Phil. I think he only knows one song.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

the camera loves this guy.

I was actually thinking last night that he looked almost as creepy/crazy as Casey Abrams did.

I don't want to see him peak too soon.

Peak? He's done exactly the same stuff with every song we've heard from him. He needs to follow Deandre's lead and show us that he can do more than shout, growl and mumble-sing. He needs to-at some point- put down the guitar and sing something straight.
At least he acknowledged that he picked THE most over-done-on-Idol Stevie song.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I have the feeling that TPTB have broken their own 'no instruments' rule with Phillips because without it, he twitches like someone with St. Vitus Dance when he sings. Since he's The Chosen One and is being presented as EveryYoungGirl'sDream not to mention TheSaviourofAmericanIdol, they can't have their boy looking foolish/odd. He's going to keep that guitar and in the meantime, I'll bet they're going to hire a movement coach for P2. And throw a few bucks Dave Matthews way for trademark infringement.

Edited by roydenlea, Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:05 AM.

weekendhiatus

weekendhiatus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

Insider.Com TV Power Ranking - Phillip Phillips #1

#1. Phillip Phillips
Song: Superstition
On nights when such iconic songs become the norm, it's always refreshing when a contestant finds a way to modernize a throwback jam and make it sound like something that could conceivably run on the radio today. Phillip squared was one of the few to accomplish this. And while many of the other contestants are attempting to fill musical voids that haven't been vacated by already established stars, Dave Matthews' step out of the spotlight gives Phillip a perfect niche to fill.

Edited by weekendhiatus, Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:50 AM.

fruity tooty

fruity tooty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I thought Phillip was a hot mess last night. He looked great in that clingy t-shirt that almost matched his greyish greenish eyes but his singing was a mess. Next time more singing and less shouting please.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

Phillip was rushed to the hospital earlier today but he's been released and will participate in the results show.

Edited by Dejana, Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:35 PM.

NoteForMyself

NoteForMyself

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

Considering that 9 of the other contestants sang ballads, I thought P2's rocking rendition of Superstitious was a great way to close out the evening. Let's face it, the guy isn't going home any time soon. So he might as well as have fun.

He knows who he is as an artist. I like the confidence he show in front of Jimmy Iovine and Mary J Blige.

Steven Tyler praised the young talent first, and then Jennifer Lopez commented on the way heís been able to make every song his own each week, even on a week that she thought would be especially challenging to him.

ďYouíre probably the most different artist that weíve had up there,Ē Randy Jackson said, summing it up. ďIím waiting to see every time how youíre going to reinterpret somebodyís song Ö Dude, you drive your own car in your own lane and I love it.Ē

Edited by NoteForMyself, Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:14 PM.