Joshua Ledet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

136 replies to this topic

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

To me, this beautiful rendition of this song is an "Idol Moment."

I agree (so much so that I bought the track from iTunes), but I do worry that the knee-jerk standing ovations from the judges are becoming a distraction and could hurt Joshua in the long run. I enjoyed his first performance, but it wasn't even close to worthy of a standing ovation; by standing for both, The Three Stooges diminished what was really an exceptional, and exceptionally moving, performance. I love the kid and even I'm having to fight the temptation to just tune him out in reaction to the judges' ridiculous slobberfest.

Edited by BootStar, Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:06 AM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I agree, Bootstar, the standing Os are just weird. If it's a calculated thing to stand up for Joshua every f*cking time, then what exactly is the point they're trying to make. And if it's spontaneous, then why didn't they stand up for everybody that they claimed was "over the top", "beautiful", "mad good", or that they "gotta have it"?

The standing O has become "the thing" now - everybody waits for it like they used to wait for a positive review from Simon. But it's so ridiculous because they stand up at least 3 times per night, and so it has lost all meaning. They didn't used to do it, did they? I honestly don't recall a single time that the judges gave a standing O during a performance night when Simon and Paula were still around.

Back to Joshua: I'm so glad he was in the top half of the pile last night. Hoping he gets to do the hometown visit! I know he's not the most current-sounding artist, and I'm not sure he would survive on today's charts (I still think Skylar is the money this season), but I want him to go as far as possible in this competition. He can't win (ugh, can anyone beat P2 at this point?), but #3 is a definite possibility.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

deedee2- Simon gave Adam Lambert a standing ovation for "Mad Word" in Season 8.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

LOL, that's right. Thanks.

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Back to Joshua: I'm so glad he was in the top half of the pile last night. Hoping he gets to do the hometown visit! I know he's not the most current-sounding artist, and I'm not sure he would survive on today's charts (I still think Skylar is the money this season), but I want him to go as far as possible in this competition. He can't win (ugh, can anyone beat P2 at this point?), but #3 is a definite possibility.

I think Skylar can take it all. Even though she was in the bottom three this week. Once {{Holly}} FINALLY dies from her injuries sustained by being thrown under the bus each week, I think Skylar will take her votes.

I like Joshua and agee the judges are not doing him any favors by pimping him. I actually feel sorry for him. It's stupid ass Randy's fault. He starts the standing O's then the other two morons follow suit.

I love Joshua and Holly's friendship. Adorable. Colton and Skylar, not so much.

Miss Crabtree

Miss Crabtree

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

Joshua was an early favorite of mine, but I haven't loved a lot of songs he's done. But that "Ready to Love" performance was fantastic. I had never heard that song before--and that was no problem whatsoever. If Joshua isn't in the finals, it will be a much less compelling show.

Nigel stinks

Nigel stinks

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Boy has a big (screechy) voice, but he is so outdated. His style (church screamy style) of singing is so out of touch with today's contemporary music, and his fashion is so bad (producers fault ... but at the end Joshua is the one getting judged).
If he were to release an album his genre would not make it.
I also hate the producers trying to butch him up... the boy looks so gay (no offense to anyone), but having him play a romantic role with Hollie in the ad the do weekly is straight offensive. Producers trying to keep that Christian conservative base happy.
I guess he would not annoy me so much if Randy was not forcing him down our throat, he jumps off his seat each time he sings and even asks the other judges to give standing O.... too weird for me. That's too bad he does not get better coaching in music choices and style, I really liked him at the beginning of the season.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Producers trying to keep that Christian conservative base happy.

TPTB couldn't care less, unless....To quote Charlie, "Winning!"

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Sorry, wrong thread.

Edited by Shira, Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

In case anyone is interested: Joshua's studio version of "To Love Somebody". Despite poor quality Idol production values, this is really very good.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZG3pAvKbAsU

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

From last night’s show I got the impression that Joshua is signed with Jimmy's label.

So he has made it. No need to win. They have already crowned him. Kinda like when Taylor won and they kicked him to the curb and promoted the crap out of DAUGHTRY.

I wish Joshua would tone it down a little with the screeching. I always hated Fantasia for that very reason. I think he will have success in his genre. Maybe a Grammy or two in his future. Much like Ruben and Fantasia. R&B all the way, no success in mainstream music.

I think he is a good singer and feel sorry for him. The reason being - the over the top judging and reactions from the judges. He looks like he is so over it. Probably because he has that signed contract in his pocket.

Wonder if anyone else other that the winner will get a contact out of Jimmy. They sing Jessica's praises so I would think they would scoop her up.

It's going to be interesting.

Edited by StillTheSame, May 4, 2012 @ 3:08 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I believe Jimmy signed both Pia and Haley last season, so there's no reason to think he won't sign whomever he likes this season, regardless of how they place on Idol. Heck, Jimmy was ready to sign P2 after the first live performance show! What will be interesting to see is who will get the big promotional push. Besides Daughtry, was there anyone who finished below 2nd place who got the hype machine behind them?

I just finished listening to most of Joshua's studio recordings, and they're all excellent, but "Ready For Love" is a gem. Seriously stellar vocal. If he wants to make a pop/R&B record that doesn't sound like a throwback to James Brown and Sam Cooke, he has the skills. That song sold me.

Edited by deedee2, May 4, 2012 @ 5:26 PM.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

The fashion choices really throw me off but I still love his voice. I have no clue what his post-Idol career would be like. Between the style, his young age, and his voice it's all a big questionmark when put together, especially with the current state of today's music.

kindasorta

kindasorta

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Is Josh Ledet The Best 'American Idol' Singer Of All Time?

Interesting discussion, especially his potential marketability.

Edited by kindasorta, May 4, 2012 @ 10:25 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

@kindasorta, can you please post that link again? It's not working (for me, anyway).

Earlier in the season, Joshua said he wanted to sing gospel, and even said (maybe in a tweet) that for each performance, he wanted to "take it to Church". On this last elimination night, when Seacrest asked him what kind of record we can expect from him, Joshua said something like, "songs that move people". So, I figure he has abandoned the gospel dreams for now. Clearly, that would be a condition for getting signed with Interscope. Jimmy is probably not about to put out an Andre Crouch record.

I wonder how Joshua really feels about having to tailor his style to a larger audience. He can certainly tone down the gospelly flavour of his ad-libs and embellishments to suit a more mainstream sound, but should he? Or should he stick to what he knows, and forget about appealing to the mainstream. He could have success in a smaller market - nothing wrong with that.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Joshua singing "It's a Mans Mans Mans World"-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J2kZCAixHyw

This was a spectacular performance from Joshua. I loved it. It was very moving and powerful. What a voice!

Something else I love is how he stands there after the performance with his quiet class while the judges are making fools of themselves. I've gotten to really liking Joshua's personality too. He seems like a really nice, sweet person.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Something else I love is how he stands there after the performance with his quiet class while the judges are making fools of themselves. I've gotten to really liking Joshua's personality too. He seems like a really nice, sweet person.

ITA. I've been listening to the studio of "It's a Man's World" this morning, and it is every bit as incredible as the live version, IMO, this kid is the real deal--maybe it is time for a classic R&B revival, I'm a big Terence Trent d'Arby fan ('80's version), and that is who Josh reminds me of, I also find him perfectly adorable, I really think that He should win this thing, I loved P2 last night, but I don't think he deserves to win, and Jessica, yes I can hear the vocal talent, but I find her uninteresting.

HeyItsMona

HeyItsMona

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I've been listening to the studio of "It's a Man's World" this morning, and it is every bit as incredible as the live version, IMO, this kid is the real deal

Word.

One question though : where does the singing-through-my-teeth come from? I'd be a smartass and say "from the gut", but seriously though. I'll happily admit that i've listened to his songs a few too many times and it's a first here afaik. Maybe the vocal coach gave him the tip to channel his emotions that way?
He did let go of the "aha" though, which were quickly retrieved I believe by Miss "I don't know what a time signature is but I listen to other ah'tiss and pick things up".

It seems pretty unpopular here, but I'm completely and utterly in love with just about everything Joshua does on stage. I can't tell you how much I dislike "When a Man Loves a Woman" and yet when he performed that song weeks ago, I was covered in goosebumps (not lame goosies that JLo ocassionally gets) and my jaw was in a perpetual state of unabashed stupor-induced droppage.

(quoted from SecretAgentWife in the Top 4 perf thread, thought it'd be more appropriate for me to come gush in here)
I'm in the exact same place. This song was old and tired for me untill Joshua sang the hell out of it. As somebody said on YT : "he sang himself out of his clothes". He's just so badass sometimes.

Not to mention, for the life of me I never ever thought I could love a singer who cites Mariah freaking Carey as an inspiration, AND sit through his rendition of one of her songs. Well done good sir, well done.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

If he does an R&B type of album, I'll buy it the same day it comes out. He could really do exciting things with that kind of music IMO!

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I love Joshua and would have absolutely no problem with him winning. In fact I'll be rooting for him if he's up against anyone other then Jessica. But unless his stuff gets some radio play on top40 or Hot AC then I'm probably not going to buy it. He just doesn't do stuff that I go out of my way to look for.

HeyItsMona

HeyItsMona

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

Remember the VT where Elise says "he's singing all the time" and you see him sing the beginning of Adele's "one and only"? Now I really want to hear that proper *strokes chin*

amelia7196

amelia7196

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

From the first I loved Josh and P2...I am from around P2's hometown and feel like a traitor but I LOVE Josh.
I would buy anything that guy put out on CD...infact I really can't wait to hear it.

LizaJane

LizaJane

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I'm in the exact same place. This song was old and tired for me untill Joshua sang the hell out of it. As somebody said on YT : "he sang himself out of his clothes". He's just so badass sometimes.

I'm glad you came over here to gush, because I wanted to do the same thing. Were it not for Josh, I probably wouldn't still be watching this season of Idol. Hollie and Jessica are fine but boring. I like PP sometimes, but when Wednesday rolls around, I'm not turning on for him, but for Josh.

The thing is, I don't actually love the style - I'm not a mad fan of melisma, and tend to prefer other genres to soul. Except when the person singing the soul is ... singing soul, which is what Josh does for me. Things I would find to be affectations or ridiculous ornament or showboating from most other singers just come out of him in a way that feels authentic right down to his toes.

I doubt I would buy his album, I confess. He falls into the category some other performers for me, where I love them so much live, but don't love their recordings because the essence of their greatness seems to come from that live show - like Marc Broussard or Trombone Shorty. Though, I do like Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings recordings, so maybe I would give a Joshua Ledet album a go.

Mainstream? I don't know. But if he stays away from Josh Groban (UGH), I think he can have a great career.

I would pay so much money to hear him do It's a Man's (x3) World Live.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

Since I don't have much interest in the rest of the singers this year (except Hollie), I'm not going to see one of the AI tours this year. Last year, I enjoyed every single performer on the tour, and actually saw it twice.

However, if I thought Joshua would do It's a Man's World (paraphrasing)....I'd might spring for a ticket.

Of course, that song would be pretty draining for Josh. Singing it every night could be a problem...but then, maybe not. They'd better have him do it for the finale....otherwise a lot of people might be tempted to leave immediately and skip the rest of the show.

tufar

tufar

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

He's a fine, classic R&B singer... I don't know if anyone else here is an old school R&B fan like me, but he really harkens back to the greats, James Brown (of course), Wilson Picket, and, (bestillmybeatingheart), Otis Redding. A throwback for sure, but if any musical idiom needs to be rediscovered, re-introduced, popularized, it is R&B. Real soul, not the manufactured horseshit pandered nowadays. With real singers that... just go there. Seeking ecstasy. That's what this kid strives for, that kind of singing. Hell, even me, militant atheist that I am, feel some kind of a god, when he goes "there". It's amazing.

It annoys me to no end when some people call that screaming. Do they not have ears, do they not realize that his notes are always spot on, that even though he's playing around with the rhythm, he is never out of time? That he is continually (and I would think, instinctively!) exploring ways to deliver a lyric, to make the delivery meaningful in a profound way?

Yah, I guess I'm gushing because he is really blowing my mind. I never expected an artist on AI. And what I wouldn't give to hear him take on that Otis tune, Try a Little Tenderness. In that Otis way...

If he is allowed to make the kind of record he should (and there is a chance, because Jimmy Iovine knows what he has), I shall buy that record. And, heh, I have never ever had the purchasing impulse overcome me from anything AI wailed in my direction.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

I don't know if anyone else here is an old school R&B fan like me

I am. I remember those guys and Joshua does remind me of them--to an extent. The difference is that those guys didn't scream and shout just to make noise; they knew exactly what they were doing and how to invoke raw emotion. Joshua's not quite there yet imo. While I can appreciate the fact that he really feels the music (which is quite rare for someone so young, I think), he does need to know when to reign it in. (Kind of like DeAndre with the falsetto, he needs to know when/how to use it. I'll probably wind up buying DeAndre's music in a couple years when he's more seasoned and if he's lucky enough to get a record deal.)

And as far as the "screaming" goes, what's rapturous sounds to one person's ears can definitely be screaming to another's. I'm sorry that you are annoyed.

I mentioned in another thread that I really like Joshua's singing for about two-thirds of the song. It's when he gets to the final third that he loses me. I'm now beginning to believe that he could win this thing and, frankly, I'd be delighted if did because he seems like a very nice, exxtremely talented young man. He seems like his parents raised him right. But music is a business and people have to really want to pony up money to buy your CDs and see you on stage. I wish him well, but based on what I've seen, I won't be one of those people.

Edited by Ohwell, May 11, 2012 @ 7:41 PM.

HeyItsMona

HeyItsMona

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

And what I wouldn't give to hear him take on that Otis tune, Try a Little Tenderness. In that Otis way...

I hear you loud and clear, but then we'd have the good ol' bs comments along the lines of "it's not current", because, you know, "new rnb" is obviously better than "old r&b", regardless of the fact that a cat's litterbox has more soul than these "new rnb" drones produced en masse. YMMV (or it may not).

Regarding cd sales, I reckon it's a compliment when people say they'd rather see an artist live than buy his cd.

ps : i just youtubed Jessica doing Try a little tenderness, trying my best to remain impartial. Even if I forget about the "young girls, they do get weewee" at the beginning, girlfriend didn't pass. Nice touch to try and do Otis' "nanananana" though, sure, why not -_-

Edited by HeyItsMona, May 11, 2012 @ 9:02 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I really like Joshua's singing for about two-thirds of the song. It's when he gets to the final third that he loses me

I think it is just a function of being in an instant elimination contest. Neither him nor Jessica can really back off in such a situation. They will edit the song for time and then go all out in a once in a lifetime win or lose shoot out. Now if he were in a concert or recording a full album the "going to church" or going diva moments would probably be more sparsely used.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Yes it's tough to see your favorite genre maligned. It's screaming and shouting and caterwauling but not singing. James Brown himself would be the first elimination on this show. I'm pulling for Joshua and Jess. Honestly both of them making the top 3 is an amazing feat. And I think Joshua has garnered enough moments that I would hope he will get that record deal. I think some good R&B is just what I need. I just hope that he has backers that even understand the genre.

Edited by angelita100, May 11, 2012 @ 10:13 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

The thing is, I don't actually love the style - I'm not a mad fan of melisma, and tend to prefer other genres to soul. Except when the person singing the soul is ... singing soul, which is what Josh does for me. Things I would find to be affectations or ridiculous ornament or showboating from most other singers just come out of him in a way that feels authentic right down to his toes.

This is me, too. The thing about Idol is .. it sucks me in until I CARE about someone. Doesn't happen every year, but every so often, I end up tuning in for one performer only. I think about song selections for them during the week, and I get nervous for them on elimination night. Joshua is that person for me this season. *sigh*. So, it makes me wonder - if I didn't have that emotional connection to Joshua, and I just heard him on the radio, or saw him on a youtube vid - would I like his music? Would his crazy vocal skills rock my world the way they're rocking it now? I don't know. That's why I've stopped predicting who is going to wildly succeed after the show. I've gotten so enthusiastic over performers, only to have them struggle or flame out in the real world.

However, if I'm staying within the Idol bubble, and not taking the real world into account, Joshua Ledet is my favourite voice out of all my favourites (David Cook, Elliott Yamin, Alison Iraheta, Haley Reinhart). For me, he even surpasses Adam Lambert in power, dynamic energy, style, control, range, interpretive instincts etc. He completely blows my mind. I started out more or less dismissing him. Then, two weeks into the live shows, he sang "When A Man Loves A Woman" and left me wondering why the hell I was so riveted by it. I'm sick of the song; I don't like that style of singing; and he was supposed to be my "what is he still DOING here/ Who's VOTING for this guy" contestant of the season, lol.

Now that I no longer expect real world success for these kids, I kind of have mixed feelings about them winning the show. Winning has often turned out to be this big ol' pile of false hope. All I wanted for Joshua was to get the hometown visit in Top 3, get that special treatment for a day, and after that, whatever happens happens. I wish him the best, of course, but the post-Idol careers of these contestants have broken my heart so many times, I'm already getting sad for him. For some of these kids, American Idol ends up being their career peak, which is so depressing. I can only hope this is not the case for such a rare talent. To paraphrase JLO: Jimmy, don't screw this up!

Edited by deedee2, May 11, 2012 @ 11:11 PM.