Joshua Ledet

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

136 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Joshua Ledet

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Loving him right now.

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

Top 13 Q&A

What sets you apart from the other contestants?
Joshua Ledet: My genre. I donít think there is anyone in the competition who sings the gospelly type, so that is probably the big separation between me and other contestants.

What do you need to improve to win the competition?
Joshua Ledet: Being diverse. I can always sing ballads, which is my comfort zone, so I need to sing up-tempo, too.

What one thing about yourself do you most want people to know that hasnít been covered on the show?
Joshua Ledet: That I just love music. I live, eat, and breathe music. I sing from my soul. Itís my passion.

This is the point when contestants often get makeovers ó anything youíd love or loathe to change?
Joshua Ledet: Iím a blazer guy, jeans, boots, not too crazy, not too fancy. I just like to stay in the background a little bit.

Any specific theme nights youíre dreading or looking forward to?
Joshua Ledet: I would say [dreading a] Michael Jackson style. Iím not too excited about that. Iím hoping they donít put that as a theme. His music is so unique and itís hard for others to sing his music. That would probably be a dreadful night for me. Iím looking forward to a lot of soulful nights, maybe James Brown, or something like that.

Who gives the most constructive and helpful feedback: Steven, Jennifer, or Randy?
Joshua Ledet: All three of them actually. They keep telling me to sing from my gut and my soul.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I like Joshua. He has a wonderful voice and he doesn't seem to get out of control when he is singing. I hope that continues and looking forward to what he will bring.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I like him a LOT too.

It will be interesting to see how Jimmy Iovine and Joshua navigate trying to balance his devotion to gospel music with the reality that American Idol is looking for a current mainstream star. Who are the popular Christian & Gospel recording artists these days? Are there any with crossover success? That's who I'd scout out for a clue on the direction Jimmy might try to take Joshua. Otherwise, he won't make it very deep into the competition.

OTOH, maybe Joshua could go the retro route with an Al Green-type performance or two. I hear Al's music got quite a sales bump after a certain VIP crooned a couple bars of "Let's Stay Together." ;-)

Would love to hear Joshua sing Gnarls Barkley's "Who's Gonna Save My Soul" or "Blind Mary." CeeLo Green proves that a gospel voice (mind you, quite an irreverent one!) can be very current. Is Joshua willing to go that route?

Edited because Joshua and Jeremy are NOT the same person (although apparently a lot of folks are getting their names confused).

Edited by BootStar, Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:28 AM.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I hope the audience can get beyond his vocal resemblance to Lusky Stank, because Josh has the same wild, soaring voice, but with 10,000X the control and intelligence in phrasing, placement of runs, etc.
He's far and away the best technical singer in the group, IMO.

BoozeGood

BoozeGood

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

I think the only similarity is genre and skin color. As you said the macguffin, Ledet has control, phrasing, tact everything that Lusk never had. Lusk had emotionalism and attitude. Ledet has a wonderful brooding, serious quality that informs his performances. I haven't cared about an AI contestant since Yamin, and I'm prepared to be heart broken again. But till then, I'm gonna vote, vote, vote.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:44 AM

Well, I'll say it again- this guy is great. Not my singing style, but I know enough about it to tell how good he is.
He should have had the pimp spot, not sure why they gave it to Hollie.

Miss Crabtree

Miss Crabtree

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I think Joshua demonstrated star quality last night. Somehow, suddenly, the young man with the kind of ordinary face was all-around attractive. Something like that "aura" Paula used to talk about must have developed.

abushenob

abushenob

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I am very disappointed to see little interest here in Joshua. I really enjoy him; his was the only performance last night that really moved me (although I liked P2, Skylar, Holly and Colton in this episode too). This is the second show where I really have thought he was the best of the lot, but with so little buzz showing up, I'd guess he is doomed. He was middling last week, and landed in the bottom three, so I hope his performance this week buys him time. When I find myself smiling at the end of a performance, I want the performer to do well. I watch AI to be entertained and Joshua does it for me.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I thought he was amazing last night as well. I think he's going to be one of those contestants who is in trouble when he doesn't perform up to his own high standard or if he gets lost in the shuffle somehow.

SeptSkyBlueEyes

SeptSkyBlueEyes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

Joshua reminds me of someone but I don't know who. Did he try out last year?

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

I hope the audience can get beyond his vocal resemblance to Lusky Stank, because Josh has the same wild, soaring voice, but with 10,000X the control and intelligence in phrasing, placement of runs, etc.

I totally agree. His style is not my favourite, and I probably wouldn't buy his music, but he's very, very good. Although it's taken me 3 weeks to warm up to him, he's really grown on me. Lusky Stank was all over the dang place with pitch and emotion, etc. Joshua, on the other hand, knows exactly what he's doing. Very skilled.

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 5:41 AM

I had to replay the tape of Josh's performance three times before I could believe what I had just seen and heard. On AI? Unbelievable! If he continues to turn in performances like that, he should go far in the competition. I surely hope to see a lot of him and he's a contestant that I had ignored before. What a turn around for me.

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Great singer for his age! He's only 19? WOW! One thing I would like to see him do is to tone down on his "screaming register" so to speak. Not every song requires it and you can tell that his voice is very rich in tone without it.

robthomaseyes

robthomaseyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Abushenob, count me as one that's in Joshua Ledet's corner. I liked him a lot on "I Wish" and I LOVED him this week. I'm a sucker for the soul singers, and he really has that classic 70s soul/r&b vibe that I love so much. He's amazing.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

He has not only a great voice but a great stylized singing with his phrasing and interpertations. He should do well no matter what happens

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

There is a fantastic video on YouTube of Melinda Doolittle WATCHING Joshua sing "WAMLAW" on TV. My daughter sent me the link because she knows Melinda was one of my all-time favorite idolettes, plus we BOTH agreed (a rare occasion) that, indeed, this WAS the best performance either of us has ever seen on AI.

Google it up for a treat. So awesome.

Oh, and Melinda looks faboo with her close-cropped afro.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

He has some great gifts. The last performance of A Man Loves had a little Sam Cooke, a little Otis Redding, and a little Little Richard,. Amazing.

Michmak

Michmak

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

I was really expecting him to pull up "The River of Dreams" last night - I think it would have really suited his style. Wasn't blown away by his choice last night, but he still sounded good.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:15 PM

I was really expecting him to pull up "The River of Dreams" last night

'River of Dreams' is definitely one of my top 10 Billy Joel songs, and it probably would have suited Joshua better than the song he chose. Nonetheless, he really is a very talented, very controlled singer, and whatever he does is good. Again, Joshua's style/genre isn't my personal favourite, but I do recognize his excellence, and I hope the voting public does, too!

robthomaseyes

robthomaseyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

I love Joshua's singing. I get the feeling he's tortured and it kills me.

robthomaseyes

robthomaseyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

Amazing! I said weeks ago I wanted him to sing A Change is Gonna Come and he DID it! Yes! I love, love, love Joshua. The second half of tonight's show was made for HIM!!

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I'm so shocked that I love Joshua as much as I do. Before the live shows started, I just rolled my eyes at him because I thought he was just another dime-a-dozen OTT hysterical gospel/soul singer a la Jacob Lusk. But he won me over with his sheer talent. This kid is brilliant. So effortless and controlled. All I know is that I look forward to him every week, and he never disappoints. Also, there's something kind of heartbreaking about him -- can't explain why.

Edited by deedee2, Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:15 PM.

SpringTulips

SpringTulips

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:33 AM

Also, there's something kind of heartbreaking about him -- can't explain why.

I somehow picture him in movies...I think he would be a great actor.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:19 AM

He always takes me to church when he's singing. I don't want to always think of church when someone is singing. I'll go to a real church if I want to listen to that type of singing.

Edited by Ehyeh, Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:20 AM.

wideright

wideright

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

I just rewatched his version of Jar of Hearts - he really isn't only gospel, I know he did the Bruno Mars song but I wish he would do something very contemporary. I really like him.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I actually like Ledet's voice when his Screamy McScreamer persona isn't so prevalent. Dude needs that exorcised out of him or something.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

Joshua's performance of "Ready For Love"-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=hylvMUtFyC8

is my favorite performance ever by him. His voice is sublime in this song. I'm really taken with how stunning his voice is in this performance, although I already liked his voice- I just have not been caring for his performances.
To me, this beautiful rendition of this song is an "Idol Moment."

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

Denimsky thank you for the link to "ready for love" because I watched it again and it makes me adore Joshua more than ever. He's incredibly talented and refreshing. My sister and I argue every week because she doesn't like his gospel-ly singing with the choir and I love it! I point out that everyone else has the full backup as well.

He makes me think of John Legend whom I adore. I would jump on ITunes in a minute if Joshua came out with a CD.