Jermaine Jones

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

55 replies to this topic

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

Thanks! Yep, that's what I saw the first time.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Watching it again, I agree with AuroraAustralis. And I always felt he overreacted. Even when talking to Ryan, Jermaine got an attitude when Richie put his arm around his shoulder. Then when they came out, it looked like just an accident -- Richie went to put his arm around him at the same time Jermaine jumped, and Jermaine seriously overreacted.

As for the charges... well, that sucks, but he did lie. I can appreciate the position he got himself into, where he felt like his only choice was to lie, but when you have FOUR outstanding warrants for your arrest, and you lied about all of them, you kind of dug yourself into your own grave there, buddy. Sorry.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I think Jermaine isn't as naive as I thought he was. I think he was in on this "act" with the AI folks. Hence, the over the top blubbering when he was first eliminated, and then the judges subsequently bringing him back. All this was done to create drama, and he was in on it. Of course, he'll act all hurt and surprised.

This is exactly what I thought when I heard of the "on-air confrontation". No way they'd ambush him without his consent. I think he was in on it from the start, and knew why he was being brought back, and exactly how long he'd last on the show. There have been contestants with legal issues and other conflicts of interest, and the show has let them go without too much fanfare. The Jermaine ouster was obviously a set-up. I hope they made the public humiliation worth his while.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Oh, please, give me a break, the producers knew about this all along. It's called boosting ratings for a jump the shark television reality show

That's how I see as well. And after watching the show tonight with its mediocre talent they have no one to blame but themselves for the ratings falling.

Edited by angelita100, Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:28 PM.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

You might be on to something deedee2. Public humiliation exposes AI to a possible lawsuit because they could have just sent Jermaine on his way off-camera and made an announcement that he was gone. The very well-timed TMZ leaks right before the episode aired and the dramatic dismissal probably means that there was some kind of deal. Hopefully he got some help with his legal issues (suspended license and open container isn't exactly grand theft auto) and maybe some career advice further down the road. I hope it was worth his while because he does have a beautiful voice. I'm disappointed in him but I wish him well in the future.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:18 AM

What seemed hokey to me was exactly when did he plan to pay the fines? When he won? I know he was let in to the live shows late but at some point he had a minute to call and try to take care of warrants so they were no longer warrants by March 2012. Auditions were like last summer. The Vegas/Hollywood stuff was when... around Christmas?

I feel sure they paid Jermaine well to let them disqualify him on camera, while disclosing his legal issues. He could've told them to keep it private and just say he was disqualified for legal reasons, end of story. Wasn't that how they handled a girl who was deemed to close to the producers a few years back? I can't remember her name. Some Mark Ballas girlfriend. (Not Pia.) (ETA- Joanna Pacitti.)

Edited by AuroraAustralis, Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:24 AM.

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

Jermaine's fellow contestants don't seem to think he's a horrible person.

http://ca.eonline.co...d_top_11/301312

Artemis

Artemis

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:34 AM

I feel sure they paid Jermaine well to let them disqualify him on camera, while disclosing his legal issues. He could've told them to keep it private and just say he was disqualified for legal reasons, end of story.

Your legal issues, arrest record, etc., are a matter of public record. That's why celebrity mug shots are always popping up on TV. You have no privacy rights where all that is concerned, so Jermaine has no basis for suing anybody for revealing all of that on air -- especially since he's agreed to be on a reality show where you sign an agreement to be humilated on television (see the the audition rounds).

Jermaine's fellow contestants don't seem to think he's a horrible person.

http://ca.eonline.co...d_top_11/301312

Of course they're going to say nice things about him to the media. What do you expect them to say? Actions speak louder than words, and their actions last week did not make his fellow contestants look like big fans of his.

Edited by Artemis, Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:39 AM.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

No one has said he's a horrible person. Good people sometimes make bad decisions -- it happens. That still doesn't change the fact that there are four warrants out for his arrest, and that he chose to not disclose that information to producers. He can be a decent guy and still be in this exact same situation.

DS1

DS1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

I was surprised 3 of the 4 warrants were for a suspended license. While it's still a criminal offence, the charges didn't strike me as controversial as I thought they'd be (then again, maybe there's more to the suspended licence story than what I've been reading?). For some reason, I thought the warrants would be for something a lot worse.

It was still depressing watching his dismissal though. That's not fun tv. Even though he should have told the truth, it's sad to see people faced with that kind of humiliation on tv. They made me feel bad for him (i.e being on top of the world one moment, suddenly flat on your face the next).

Edited by DS1, Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:43 AM.

AuroraAustralis

AuroraAustralis

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

so Jermaine has no basis for suing anybody for revealing all of that on air

I know but it all felt so rehearsed. We've seen Jermaine dissolve into sobs, act assaulted by friendly back pats and he reportedly was abusive to Idol staff over things like wardrobe. But here he's being publicly berated and eliminated, called a potential criminal and a liar, and he's totally calm and polite and contrite. It just felt like he got the option of (1) a no-frills elimination with no details and no on-air berating or (2) a little severance gift to play it out on camera for the added drama, complete with coaching on how to come off so the audience felt bad for him but also understood Nigel's dilemma.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

The articles have been confusing. There were three warrants for driving on a suspended liscence but he was charged, twice, for giving a false name to a Police Officer.

It is likely that he was issued a summons to apprear before the court for driving on a suspended liscence when he was cited and did not show. When he failed to show, he the Judge could issue a warrant for his arrest. The next time he is pulled over and found to be driving on a suspended liscence he is issued a summons and does not show and a second warrant is issued. Given how busy jails are today and how much paper work is associated with booking a person into jail, it is a very real possibility that he was not brought to jail over this but cited each time. If he was brought to jail over the suspended liscene, he would be released pretty fast because of the over crowding in most jails. Non-violent offenders are released and told to appear in court on a regular basis.

He was twice charged with giving a false name to a police officer. It could be that those charges were dropped or are still pending and he has made those court dates because they are a more serious offense then the driving.

So he could have four warrants out for his arrest and the two charges that are under investigation or pending trial, a total of 6 possible offenses.

He lied to the Producers so he was booted from the show. It should have been handled differently.

pooki pichu

pooki pichu

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

He had a soulful voice and I enjoyed his singing and tone more than the oh so praised Joshua Ledet. It's a shame about his legal troubles. Kids need to stay out of trouble.

Edited by pooki pichu, Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:29 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

The warrants are bad enough, but the thing that struck me the most was giving a false name to a police officer. And not once, but twice. He's either got some screws loose, or he's incredibly stupid, or he's devious. I wasn't all that crazy about his voice because I thought it was too loud and booming. I can appreciate a baritone but I thought his was just too much. I'm glad he's gone off my TV screen.

Edited by Ohwell, Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:22 PM.

Asari

Asari

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

This is exactly what I thought when I heard of the "on-air confrontation". No way they'd ambush him without his consent. I think he was in on it from the start, and knew why he was being brought back, and exactly how long he'd last on the show. There have been contestants with legal issues and other conflicts of interest, and the show has let them go without too much fanfare. The Jermaine ouster was obviously a set-up. I hope they made the public humiliation worth his while.

It was totally staged. There was no way the producers didn't know of his record before the Hollywood rounds, much less the top 24 were picked. Background checks aren't that hard.

They wanted the ratings and controversy an on-air dismissal would bring and they paid him off to go along with it.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

Background checks aren't that hard.

I think background checks become more complicated when the person being checked on has given fake names to the police.

purplemoon

purplemoon

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Game of Thrones, Mad Men, True Blood, Modern Family, The Office, Gossip Girl, The Vampire Diaries, 30 Rock, American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Cupcake Wars, House, The Soup, Buffy, Firefly, Dollhouse, Xena, Once & Again, My So-Called Life, Dark Angel

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

I think background checks become more complicated when the person being checked on has given fake names to the police.

But since one of the outstanding warrants was due to the charges resulting from giving false names, wouldn't that imply the police obviously had determined Jermaine's identity and all that would show up on his background check? If he's been charged, it should show up.

Unless we're supposed to believe that the cops were still out there looking for his two aliases until someone saw him on TV in the audition rounds and said "EUREKA!"?

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Unless we're supposed to believe that the cops were still out there looking for his two aliases until someone saw him on TV in the audition rounds and said "EUREKA!"?

No I think we're supposed to believe that Jermaine lied to producers about having a poor relationship with his father and then they looked into things further then they had at the beginning of the process. I just don't buy into the conspiracy stuff. MMV on such stuff though.

Artemis

Artemis

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

But since one of the outstanding warrants was due to the charges resulting from giving false names, wouldn't that imply the police obviously had determined Jermaine's identity and all that would show up on his background check?

According to TMZ, the four warrants were all driving-related: three for driving with suspended license and one with open container and disorderly conduct or something. The false names were related to other charges for which warrants had not yet been issued in Jermaine's name.

I don't buy into the conspiracy stuff, either. If they really were doing this to boost ratings, they would've made a bigger deal of it than they did. The folks at AI are masters of "milking it for all it's worth." This read to me more as cover-your-ass legal stuff. AI transported Jermaine across state lines while he had outstanding warrants -- that's bad. As for the "violent" incident, while it might not seem that bad, imagine the liability for AI if Jermaine got in a fight with one of the other contestants or someone on staff, and it turned out he had this on his record and the producers knew about it. They'd face a huge lawsuit. I'm sure that's why they ask questions about things like, "Have you ever gotten in a fight?" They have to protect the people on the show from anyone who might be potentially violent.

It's possible they dug further into his background when his daddy story turned out to be a big lie. But it's also possible that they were more concerned that he engaged in harassing/threatening behavior (according to TMZ) toward that person from wardrobe. That could prompt a further background check.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

TMZ used to be such a joke. When did they get legitimate.

Rabal thanks for that story. It made absolutely no logical sense that Jermaine's record was somehow too difficult to dig up in a simple search. I'm not sure what Jermaine said in the segment because I didn't watch but I agree that even the police tell you you have the damn right to remain silent.

Edited by angelita100, Mar 18, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Well I glad someone in authority had the guts to call out AI:

Camden County Freeholder Jeffery L. Nash said there was no excuse for breaking the law, but he thought the show could have handled the incident better.

"For the producers of the billion-dollar show to expose, embarrass and interrogate a young man without an attorney in front of 40 million viewers was an outrage," Nash said. "In the future, they should do background checks before they start counting their money and playing Judge Judy."

Thank you, Mr. Nash. The producers are full of BS. A simple background check would've revealed Jermaine's situation. Does AI want us to believe that they didn't have the time or resources to do a check? Jermaine did not give AI producers a false name, he had already been charged with previously giving a false name to an officer - something that is on his real name's record. So AI brings Jermaine back onto the show after not being selected for the Top 12, and only THEN do they get suspicious of him and "dig further"? And oh, according to producers the charges themselves weren't that bad but because they were "lied to" he had to be let go. Really? There could be contestants lying about their age, where they were born, work history, previous recordings, etc. but apparently there isn't much vetting on this show for the egregious offenses. Does AI really get rid of every contestant that fails to disclose everything?

I wasn't a Jermaine fan and he does need to face the music (no pun intended) on his past offenses, but I'm almost through with AI for this level of exploitation.

ChiliHot

ChiliHot

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Does AI really get rid of every contestant that fails to disclose everything?

I believe so. I seem to recall a season where two people turned out to have criminal backgrounds. One was let go because he/she didn't disclose the information and the other one was allowed to stay because she was upfront about it from the beginning. I seem to think it was Frenchy, who I believe was involved in some sort of adult entertainment, who was thrown off and another girl whose name I don't remember, but she changed her name (not Ryan Starr) to just one name. Wasn't Corey kicked off for not disclosing something? And there was a set of twins. Didn't they steal a car to drive to the audition?

Artemis

Artemis

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

Jermaine did not give AI producers a false name, he had already been charged with previously giving a false name to an officer - something that is on his real name's record.

Rabal, where did you get this information? It's not in the article you cite -- do you have a source? I haven't seen any article saying that he had already been charged for giving a false name when he started on Idol. In fact, one of the incidents in which he gave a fake name was just this past November. I'm not sure when the auditions are, but aren't they in the summer? Not so sure about Hollywood Week. But I'm guessing Jermaine was already a contestant when the second one happened, so that's why he gave a fake name.

The four warrants the producers mentioned were old -- from 2009. The more recent two, where he gave a fake name, were both from 2011, so I don't think those had been processed already. The warrants were issued under his aliases -- per the article you cited. If you have information to the contrary, I'd be interested to see it.

Also, in my experience, lying is a bigger deal in entertainment than you might think. I know a guy who was a producer happily working for McG under a deal with Warner Bros. until one day the studio decided to increase their background screening and vet everything on every resume', and they learned that he never actually graduated from the university that he attended. It's not that you have to graduate from college in order to be a producer, but lying on an employment contract is grounds for automatic dismissal. So they fired him (or forced McG to fire him), and he lost a really sweet gig.

And I have to disagree that exposing Jermaine on the show was exploitative. It's a reality show. You check your privacy and your dignity at the door when you go on one.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Well I glad someone in authority had the guts to call out AI:

If he's going to call out AI's motives then I think it's fair to wonder about his. I believe a freeholder is an elected official.
This sounds like an opportunistic official who sees an opportunity to get his name out there.

The bottom line is simple to me. Jermaine has serious legal issues to deal with and he lied to producers about it. That much seems to be uncontested fact. So I have no sympathy for him.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Wow, just listened to Jermaine's "Somewhere Out There" and too bad he got kicked off because his version was very inspirational. I really hope he gets his act together regarding the legal issues and keeps singing. He's got a gift, for sure.

twotrey

twotrey

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Most definitely. It reinforces what a great recording voice he has, and most especially on the right song, and was that ever the right song. That could've been one of those vaunted "moments" had he performed on the live show, and you know J. Lo would've made a "goosies" comment. Ah well. He has a future for sure as I imagine all of this will be forgotten soon enough, not to mention having this happen so early in the competition ensures that it will be sooner than later, provided he stays out of trouble.