Jessica Sanchez

• Please log in to reply

106 replies to this topic

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

It doesn't tarnish anything really. Thia Megia couldn't get past like 9th place or wherever she ended up. I don't think it influences things in any serious amount.

Edited by MV007, May 18, 2012 @ 2:21 PM.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Anything to diminish Jessica getting where she got. If skype works for Jessica it works for everyone. Power voting wasn't invented by Jessica's fans. This isn't the presidency. It is American Idol. It's not sacred.

ETA: Sounds like some sort of scare tactic with no basis in reality. So much hatred for a 16 year old.

Edited by angelita100, May 18, 2012 @ 11:24 PM.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

The tarnish comes because of the fear people outside of America who don't go to work when one of their congressmen has a prize fight or a woman from their nation has a chance to be Miss Universe may take a seemingly strange and fanatical interest in the daughter of someone from their nation. Thus a foreign nation will crown the "idol" of America.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

angelita100 I get what you're saying, Re: methods of voting being available for fans of all contestants. I just did a poor job of articulating. And I have no hate for Jessica...far from it. She's the only contestant I've taken the time to vote for since S9. FWIW

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 4:44 AM

It seems like every year some contestant is accused of only getting to the final and or winning because of mass "power votes" which appear always to be part of a conspiracy to "steal" the title, LOL. The only thing that one can say about Jessica is obviously she was saved by the save, and if she hadn't been someone else would be competing with Pee Pee, who, if he wins, will be accused of having every single person in LA (or wherever he is from) voting for him on free phones handed out from some evil conglomerate. I'm not in love with Jessica, but I'd rather see her win than Phil, I just don't think that he is good enough.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

Jessica is a very sweet, beautiful girl with an exquisite voice who I am very glad will be in the finale of American Idol.
Every single contestant has all the same opportunities of every which way that voting is possible to be voted for.

I wanted to post this sweet picture of Jessica getting a hug from Phillip because I'm always feeling like she could use one.

http://oi41.tinypic.com/33o2m8p.jpg

TwitterTwizzler

TwitterTwizzler

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

The girl has sung every conceivable big mainstream pop hit by a big mainstream pop singer. No originality or artistry what so ever.

She basically has zip personality off stage. Truth be told, she is neither good looking or interesting enough to be a diva.

Everything about her is so manufactured: from her pageant robotic responses to her poses (with hair tossing) in front of the camera.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

"Sweet Dreams" remains as one of my favorite Jessica Sanchez performances. The studio track was so very gorgeous that I bought it. Here it is-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=flYE5xdjOlg

I hope on Jessica's first album, she has a song like this. It suits her perfectly. Her voice is mesmerizing on this song.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

"Sweet Dreams" was definitely one of her better performances.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

To be crystal clear: I hope Jessica with her pure voice mightily embarrasses, nay, demolishes that non-singer in the Finale against her.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

After watching the crappy Billboard awards show (against my will I might add - when your 70 something mom wants to see the Whitney tribute what are you gonna do) I will say I have every faith in Jessica. She has more talent in her 6 inch heels than most of those lip syncing superstars. Not an ounce of originality in the Taylors, the Katys or the one whose name I don't know but sounded so generic. She has some things to learn but she won't need machines to help her sing.

Edited by angelita100, May 21, 2012 @ 12:25 AM.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

From Twitter:

Thalia ‏@thalia
WOWgreat news! #TommyMottola just call me from #AmericanIdol & he is confirm to work in the first #JessicaSanchez CD! #MexicanFilipinoPower

Thalia is married to Tommy Mottola.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

I'm not very encouraged about her chances of winning after last night. Hopefully they'll be able to find her really good material and not saddle her with a bunch of slow ballads. In the words of Amanda Overmeyer, ballads are boring

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

If skype works for Jessica it works for everyone.

Totally. Those people with Skype can very well vote for Pee Pee if they wanted to. It's not like Skype made their phone units for the Philippines just so Filipinos can vote for Jessica alone, and restricted the phone numbers for the other contestants.

Thalia ‏@thalia
WOWgreat news! #TommyMottola just call me from #AmericanIdol & he is confirm to work in the first #JessicaSanchez CD! #MexicanFilipinoPower

Thalia is married to Tommy Mottola.

Isn't Tommy Mottola Mariah Carey's first producer?

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Yes, as well as her first husband

sandrajane

sandrajane

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

No. Tommy Mottola was president of Columbia Records (later Sony). He was a record executive and before that a music manager (Hall & Oats among others). He was never a producer.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Also he is responsible for helping make Mariah Carey into a pop superstar.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

He was the head of Columbia Records when Mariah approached the company with a demo tape a few years later he was her first husband.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

She sang her face off tonight with Jennifer Holliday. I think it's sad she's being dismissed as just a mimic.

Hopefully she'll get some good opportunities coming her way.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 4:22 PM

She sang her face off tonight with Jennifer Holliday. I think it's sad she's being dismissed as just a mimic.

While I think the mimic stuff is warranted for her AI performances, I also just don't think that it will matter when it comes time to do original music. She can't mimic when there is nobody to copy. As for the notion that her coronation song is some how evidence that she can't sing a song without knowing how someone else has done it, well I just don't buy this. It was one song and it was a song she had to learn in a week to perform in front of millions. I don't think she's going to be singing songs in the wrong key when its time to do an album.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

A very interesting, eye-opening article regarding Jessica's Idol contract:

Wednesday night's runner-up, 16-year-old Jessica Sanchez, doesn't have a definite shot at producing an album and could be paid as little as $30,000 in advances for recording singles, according to the "Idol" contract she and other Season 11 contestants signed earlier this year.

If Sanchez is given an album deal following the show, she will receive the same $175,000 bonus that Lauren Alaina was paid after placing second in the show's 10th season. But 19 Recordings Inc., which has the option to handle the albums and recordings of Idol contestants for several years after they appear on the show, has replaced a guaranteed album deal for the runner-up with a staggered "Development Period" that requires less music and pays out less in advances.

Sanchez could be paid as little as $30,000 if she is asked to perform four single songs, or $60,000 if she records an "EP" of between four and 10 songs.

http://music.yahoo.c...-165310140.html

Man, with those kinds of deals, I don't blame Idol contestants for striking while the iron is hot, so to speak.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

Wednesday night's runner-up, 16-year-old Jessica Sanchez, doesn't have a definite shot at producing an album and could be paid as little as $30,000 in advances for recording singles, according to the "Idol" contract she and other Season 11 contestants signed earlier this year.

Wow! 30 grand - before taxes. And she almost won. Talk about sweat shop labor. Welcome to show biz BeBe Chez! For that price will they also expect her to operate a sewing machine in a hot basement for 15 hours a day?

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

Not surprising, since even during the early days of Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken, signing the AI contract has been famously compared to "selling your soul to the devil". And AI's recording company has suffered losses due to past winners/contestants not selling enough to cover the advances. That, plus the recession.

But I guess what's upsetting is that, you hear JLO making more than $10M a year on her AI contract, and plays mind games to get an even higher salary, and you also have Seacrest getting a massive contract extension, but they're just tossing peanuts to the contestants who make the show, and using the tired old excuse of "The music landscape has changed, and so our contracts need to reflect that. We cannot afford huge advances anymore because only 20 million people watch the show now, unlike a couple of years ago where we can rake in 40 million without even trying."

I get it that it's a business, but as a human being, I can't help but feel a little towards all the contestants, not just Jessica. I know Simon's $5M prize on X-Factor won't last long, but in these times, that sounds really, really better compared to AI (since Phillip won't even get half a million).

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

She's only getting the 30 grand deal of they choose to only release singles and not produce a whole album. I'd be shoked though if she didn't get a deal for a whole album and if she does then nothing has really changed and she's only getting somewhat screwed as opposed to completely screwed.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Apparently, she won't be managed by 19, but managed by CAA. As a fan, I am very happy to hear that.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

Apparently, she won't be managed by 19, but managed by CAA. As a fan, I am very happy to hear that.

Man I really hope that's true.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I'm not going to worry about Jessica. I think she will be successful. That contract is a way to protect themselves from folks they don't really want. I think the Hollie's of this world will end up with something like that, not Jessica.

Jessica did a great job on the national anthem on the PBS Memorial Day Special. She's going to sing The Prayer later in the show.

Edited by angelita100, May 28, 2012 @ 12:14 AM.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

In honor of Memorial Day, here is Jessica singing the national anthem yesterday on the PBS Memorial Day Special.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=XD06SsPs0KY

Beautiful job, Jessica!

The concert had to end prematurely because of bad weather, but she also performed "The Prayer" and "God Bless America" in rehearsal the day before, but sadly did not get to sing them on the special since it was cancelled. There are some not very good videos at mjsbigblog from rehearsal where it sounds like she sang the other two songs beautifully too.

Right now on itunes, Jessica's whole album is sitting at number 11 on overall albums and number 7 on pop albums. At the moment her whole album with 11 songs is doing better than Kris Allen, Haley Reinhart, and even Adam Lambert's new albums. I'd say that was pretty damn good for the runner-up of American Idol!

I'm looking forward to her first album!

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

I keep hearing that. Last night I saw her sing 3 songs on my version of the special -- the National Anthem, The Prayer and God Bless America at the end. Maybe they inserted in from the rehearsal. So hopefully some excellent video will turn up for people that missed. I have them on my DVR but have no idea how to get them off and upload.

Edited by angelita100, May 28, 2012 @ 12:55 PM.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Jessica singing God Bless America:

https://www.youtube....d&v=--OIhXLXW6Q

I think she did a great job, and she looked great, but all I could think of was that how Daughtry didn't even bother to put a jacket on.

Edited by slowpoked, May 28, 2012 @ 1:00 PM.