Jessica Sanchez

• Please log in to reply

106 replies to this topic

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I really think most of the backlash that comes her way are those threatened by her inability to fuck up!

I like Jessica. She's very talented, but she's been far from perfect during the competition. (That Gloria Estefan number comes to mind.) The only American Idol contestant I can recall who seemed incapable of fucking up was Melinda Doolittle, who had a flawlessness in her performances that, not surprisingly, led to her being shown the door at Top 3. She came across as too polished, too professional to be "America's" discovery.

I think Jessica's biggest obstacle is the judges treating her like she already has the thing in the bag. Folks who like her (and would be inclined to pick up the phone for her) become complacent and those who are rooting for other contestants vote even harder for them in protest.

American Idol is as much a personality contest as it is a talent one. Jessica's personality is not particularly noteworthy one way or the other. In this contest, that's a problem.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

American Idol is as much a personality contest as it is a talent one. Jessica's personality is not particularly noteworthy one way or the other. In this contest, that's a problem.

I agree with this but I do think you can get by without a personality. But you need to be great week in and week out. To me, Jessic's main problems come from song choice and her lack of originality.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:11 PM

I'm not seeing an emotional connection with the music. Yes, she can hit a big note for such a little girl. So what, if it means nothing?

Perhaps it's living in a community with a strong Filipino presence, but I'm aware of the talent show/beauty contest culture and how hard the young women in particular are pushed. Thia last year was an example of the Disney princess contestant, while Jessica reminds me of the 'Little girl with a big voice' model. She's just reading so coached to me, with her biting at the mic with that big mouth...Anyway, I hope she improves.

I think the Phillipines connection may be the key here, speciffically Charice. Since Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah took a kid who looked 10 and made her a star standing in for Whitney Houston. She might have been the second biggest living Filipino hero to Manny Pacquiao. Eventhough at 19 she has the look of a failed child star now we still have a generation of girls belting out these songs to the videoake at every family party.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Jessica's "Dance With My Father" performance from last night-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jZXBlvWa25M

has now given me three favorite Jessica Sanchez performances. I just loved how she sang it- beautifully heartfelt, moving; and her exquisite voice is something else. I thought it was a perfect song for her, and it really showcased her voice.

Nigel stinks

Nigel stinks

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

her daddy is cute... hehehe

tall1az

tall1az

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I'd forgotten she was on America's Got Talent when she'd barely turned 11. Actually, it turns me off on her even more for some reason. She was singing songs that sounded odd from an 11 year old back then, and she's not much better about that at 16. And, she's even more robotic. I don't feel much when I listen to her sing, even when she's trying to milk emotion out of the song.

Edited by tall1az, May 4, 2012 @ 8:27 AM.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Pretty voice, mimics every singer whose songs she "covers," has no personality of her own, cannot take criticism, not that she gets any on the show, and BORES the living crap out of me.

She'll win for sure.

But her "career" will be short-lived.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

Yes her daddy is cute. I'm rooting for her to go all the way. I think she can have a great career.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

She had a rough night while going into the final four. First while the rest where hugging P2 to celbrate his save she sits there by herself. Perhaps some game playing lessons are due if she is just self centered.

But then the knife came out of Jimmy with the line about letting her sing a song because she rehearsed it as a kid but performed it as a slut. Seems worse then losing a vote one week to me.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I know I'm reading way to much into what is NOT seen on the show, but she doesn't seem to understand anything Jimmy says to her or about her. The lights are on, but no one's home. She has no incentive to develop as a singer because she's never had to work for it. Everything seems to be handed to her. Even when she was "eliminated," the judges ran up to save her before she sang her song. She feels impervious and entitled and conceited. Again, only my opinion based on what ISN'T seen on the show.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Jessica's "You Are So Beautiful" is so beautiful that I thought I would post the studio recording because I can't find the actual American Idol live version video-

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Jessica's recording voice is a dream, just like her live voice. Jessica's voice is exquisite to me.

Somewhere at mjsbigblog yesterday, I saw some insider recaps of the performances this week and found out something they didn't mention on the show when Jessica sang this song. This was either dedicated to her Mother, or she sang it for her Mother, something like that. She's such a sweet girl. I love her sweet, quiet personality.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

I'll agree she has a pretty voice, very lovely. She just doesn't have performing skills yet.

Again, I see her coming off as greatly affected rather than sweet. Entitled rather than generous. She can't give a performance because it's never been required of her. I feel like her parents and AI are just trying to hand her the crown.

StillTheSame

StillTheSame

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Somewhere at mjsbigblog yesterday, I saw some insider recaps of the performances this week and found out something they didn't mention on the show when Jessica sang this song. This was either dedicated to her Mother, or she sang it for her Mother, something like that. She's such a sweet girl. I love her sweet, quiet personality.

Well, dedicating the song to her father got her out of the bottom three.

I guess she thought it was worth a shot to dedicate one to her Mom.

Thank the lord they cut that part. I can take on so much bullshit from the PTB.

I don't see her as sweet, more a Stepford Pageantbot.

Did anyone see the camera capture her reaction when Jimmy critiqued her clothing/performance? It looked like she stuck her tongue out. I think I deleted it off my DVR or I would go back and look.

And I think the shoes were hers from her pageant days. IMO, but I don't see AI buying the girls $1600 shoes. Nope, not at all.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

"You Are So Beautiful" was reminiscent of he performance of "The Prayer," which is when I became a Jessica supporter (as long as she doesn't bring ot BB Chez again).

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Wow thanks demisky. That was gorgeous.

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

I am driven to distraction by the criticism of JS as not being ready or not having developed her brand.

Go back and check out Xtina when she was 16. She had already been signed and released by one label. RCA had no clue what to do with her and damn near did not allow her to do the Mulan soundtrack. If not for that break, she would never have had the chance to become what she became - and please note she ran away from her Mulan image as fast as she could in order to become pop relevant.

It is absolutely ludicrous to go after JS for not making things her own while in the grips of 19 and this show. Let's just see what break will come her way to take her to new levels. If she doesn't get one, a la Xtina, she'll just be another sorry chapter in image over music. It will have zero to do with musical ability if she can't make it big.

eta on 5/9 Goodbye Jessica. You chose two grownup songs and you are going home alone.

Edited by trojan69, May 9, 2012 @ 8:56 PM.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I'm resigned that she's not winning but I hope she at least makes the top 3. She does need more seasoning but her voice is amazing.

denimsky

denimsky

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Jessica singing "I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=t8xrlOUvyEI

I thought Jessica SLAYED this performance last night. She just stood there in that spot and sang the living daylights out of this song. I could see the fire in her eyes; I heard it in her voice, and saw it in her performance. She owned her voice, and this was a very powerful performance for her. I just loved it so much!

When I hear Jessica sing, I hear the voice of Jessica Sanchez. She does have a Beyonce tone to her voice to me- but that is all so very good. Jessica's voice is amazing- I am always glad that she sings songs that showcase and highlight the splendor of her voice. I never think about a song being too "grown-up" for her. She's not an ordinary singer. I say, let the mediocre singers sing Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, etc. I enjoy hearing Jessica sing songs that only really fantastic singers can sing.

Edited by denimsky, May 25, 2012 @ 7:36 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Someone needs to get that poor girl to a vocal coach before she ruins her vocal chords.

TryDelta

TryDelta

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

Jennifer Holliday ‏ @Jennifersspot

@iamdecebel @jsanchezai11 Yes,I personally Voted 4Jessica 2Nite & Also Asked All My Followers,Friends & Fans 2Vote 4 Her!:-)

Jessica gets Jennifer Holliday's seal of approval.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Good for Jessica. I thought she was fantastic last night. And to follow Joshua after he brought down the house only to respond in kind was important for her to do. And she did.

heydude08

heydude08

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

At this point, I think Jessica is ready to be AI. Don't know if she can beat out Joshua, but she's matured a lot over this season's show.

taiko

taiko

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

What is meant by ready or mature enough? Does the AI have duties of opening shopping malls for a year until she hands over the crown. I thought it was just if most people vote for you then you win and hopefully the album put out is not just filler being sold as AI winner's first but a true creative project.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

Little girl just seemed to go through the motions tonight. I think she knows there was no chance to overcome PeePee's fan base & Josh's judge-pimping. I look forward to seeing what she does over the next few years.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

Little girl just seemed to go through the motions tonight. I think she knows there was no chance to overcome PeePee's fan base & Josh's judge-pimping. I look forward to seeing what she does over the next few years.

Honestly, I think she can at least overcome Joshua. She has a VERY hardcore fan base. Not only in America, but internationally.

Kitty Bac

Kitty Bac

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:26 PM

Can people out of the country vote, even online?

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

Can people out of the country vote, even online?

I know her Filipino fans have found ways to vote for her. Don't know how, but they have found ways.

Basically, Jessica gets a lot of Facebook/texting votes.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:41 AM

Skype.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

Yeah, I totally forgot about all the non-U.S. votes sneaking through via Skype & such. I have Pinoy friends, & they go nuts about voting for fellow Filipinos in these types of things. They tell me they have friends back home who are voting like crazy... I like Jessica, but it kinda, I dunno, "tarnishes" things for me if she wins. The Filipinos I know are like Pee Pee fans: they'd vote for Jessica if she got up on stage & put on a hand puppet show since she's part Filipino.

CharmCity04

CharmCity04

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

[quote] I dunno, "tarnishes" things for me if she wins./quote]

I don't see any tarnish. If fans want to find new ways to vote for their faces, they'll find it. New age of technology where calling in the vote is dead and gone.