Colton Dixon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

65 replies to this topic

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

There's one big difference between Colton and David Cook.Cook had a very likeable personality.

Well, that and the fantastic voice.

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

I think Colton has a pretty good personality too. He comfortably made a self deprecating joke about singing a song nobody knows. He also came across well with regard to his sister. I guess his religious stuff bugs people the wrong way but I don't think it's come across exceptionally strong on the show itself. If you look for it online then sure it's all he talks about on twitter but on the show I don't find it overwhelming.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

Yeah, I'm not fan, but I haven't found him OTT with the religiosity on the show. In interviews he comes across as completely disingenuous to me, claiming that he's Only There For Jesus, when clearly Colton's got a very healthy ego and revels in the spotlight. But that doesn't matter to me as far as his performances go.

I think his hair is ridiculous, but it's his hair (and he has a good head of it, so he should enjoy it!), and he can choose whatever he wants to wear even if he looks kind of silly to me. I find him about as "rock" as the Jonas Brothers, but if I actually enjoyed his singing, I would look past that.

And I actually like that Lifehouse song he covered. I had no idea it was a worship song until Colton introduced it. (I thought it was about a girl!) My issue with Colton is his reedy, whiny voice and his affectations.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV show wise, I love Late night with Jimmy Fallon, Modern Family, Cougar Town, An Idiot Abroad, Ghost Adventures, The Real World, The Real World Road Rules Challenge, Trophy wife, The Michael J. Fox show, America Unearthed,The Mindy Project, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Colton Colton Colton...I love his voice! I really didn't think much of him at first. The last few weeks he has really amazed me and gives me goosies. I am all for Colton for the win!

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Somebody obviously told Colton that Jesus was going to have to take a backseat because tween girls don't like to share.

BootStar

BootStar

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Somebody obviously told Colton that Jesus was going to have to take a backseat because tween girls don't like to share.

Seriously. I was kind of shocked that he chose that Skylar Grey song which everybody and his brother-in-law pretty much only knows as Eminem and Rihanna's ode to beating the shit out the one you "love." But it was the first time I actually enjoyed one of Colton's performances, so good for him I guess?

And LOL on that duet with Skylar Laine. Now THAT (and Steven's comments afterward) were muy awkward!

Edited by BootStar, Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:58 PM.

meowrr

meowrr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

Colton reminds me in different ways of several prior contestants on Idol, he seems to reflect elements of them in different ways -- background, vocal and performing skills and his ability to adapt song choices to his voice (in no particular order those would be Kris Allen, Blake Lewis, Clay Aiken, and maybe a little bit of Adam Lambert).

I think this is why I like Colton- because to me, he is combination of Kris Allen and Adam Lambert (never thought about Clay, but as a fallen Claymate, I'll go with it!). As I never got Blake Lewis, I'm just going to say no to that.

It seems that Colton is really developing as a performer and artist- seriously, I'm not that big a fan but he is drawing me into his circle.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Honestly, I don't think Colton is all that good vocally, BUT: he continues to impress with the intelligent way he's competing. He has made slow, steady improvement and I agree that TPTB now prefer him to PP and are trying to get him to a 'moment' at just the right time. Can he get to the final 2? If he does, can he beat Jessica or Skylar?

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Honestly, I don't think Colton is all that good vocally, BUT: he continues to impress with the intelligent way he's competing. He has made slow, steady improvement and I agree that TPTB now prefer him to PP and are trying to get him to a 'moment' at just the right time. Can he get to the final 2? If he does, can he beat Jessica or Skylar?

I look at him and I see Kris Allen: not a great singer, not a great performer, but an all-time great contestant on the American Idol game show. It's been years since anyone picked their songs and packaged themselves this well. From that perspective, this is an awesome season, because the final seven include three who are trying to play the Idol game (Colton, Joshua, Elise) and four who are trying to play the Just Being Myself And Keeping It Real game (a style that used to mean you'd come in fourth place, but that made up the final two last year). I think the winner will be determined less by if one of the game-players Has A Moment than by if any of the other four show any versatility at all. If they don't, I think this season is Colton's.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I look at him and I see Kris Allen: not a great singer

Funny I look at Colton, and I think damn what would Kris Allen (whose voice I find beautiful) have done with that song? Colton does sort of have the Glambert over the top fashion style (which is popular with some people I guess) going on if not the voice--I guess he is teenage girl bait, I hate the way he brings up his religion (Kris never did that to his credit.)

tinybrushes

tinybrushes

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

He's closer to Kris Allen, to me, than to the others mentioned. I wasn't what you would call a particular FAN of Kris', but did really enjoy a number of his performances for the musicality. There was always the sense that he was bringing something personal to the performance. He had a good voice, but it wasn't something that particularly resonated with me. And he had a pleasantly "cute" face, but nothing that grabbed at my heartstrings.

Similarly, I find that Colton consistently produces performances which I enjoy listening to. Even overly familiar songs such as Piano Man somehow manage to both stay very close to the original yet have a distinctly different vibe. Oddly, I enjoy the sound of his singing while not really liking his actual voice. I'm not sure how he does that. And while I recognize that he has fairly pretty features, his looks don't even remotely factor into the things I like about him.

The whole religious thing is another similarity, but neither plays it up over the top on the show itself, and I don't follow them enough for it to become too annoying on other sites.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

I don't think he's as good a singer as many others before him, but I enjoy his performances. Also, I'm glad he's down with Jesus because it makes for some hilarious commentary. IMO, he's Clay Aiken, part deux.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

Well, I suppose Colton is playing a smart game because that's what everybody's saying about him. For me though, his performances barely register because I find him so bland and almost ... cutesy about his approach. Oh, I know "cutesy" is the wrong word. Maybe more like - "worthy". I imagine Simon telling him "it's all a bit worthy for me" the way he said it to David Cook, haha.

I can't compare Colton to Kris Allen because - even though I was not a fan - Kris was sort of a natural, unassuming, aw-shucks personality who was very likeable. And I can't compare Colton to Adam Lambert because - like him or not - Adam was a natural, ballsy, in-yer-face entertainer with a huge presence. So, even though Colton is doing all the right strategic things, he's not making any sort of impact on me because, imo, he not only has an unspectacular voice, he also doesn't bring anything interesting of himself to the stage. Skunk hair and skinny boy-jeans are not a substitute for personality. But still, he has a good shot at winning. One more uninteresting Idol winner to the pile.

tick talk

tick talk

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I keep waiting and waiting to see what it is that people see in Colton. To date I remain unimpressed at best and after his performances tonight I'd love to see him go home. He stunk up the joint, IMO. Especially with the Earth, Wind and Fire song. It was unrecognizable.

Ehyeh

Ehyeh

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

He sure knows how to suck the life out of a song. He's a like a song dementor or something LOL

littlebopeep

littlebopeep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

Well, I came here to see what people were saying about the elimination, but I suppose that nobody cares. I was shocked, even though I'm only watching the show this season on replays and recaps.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

Well, I was mostly surprised at how shallow his fanbase apparently was. Usually by this point, fans will stick with the contestant regardless of how poorly s/he may do one night.
Although I do think having 2 songs opened him up to the danger of 2 really bad song ideas on one night; he might have survived 'September' if he hadn't done the GaGa.

littlebopeep

littlebopeep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

That's just it, macguffin - two bad songs and his fans abandon him?
I guess i'm feeling like a creaky old timer, having been a blithering idiot fan for Bo Bice. We didn't even notice that "Corner of the Sky" abomination he blundered through on musical night. What's wrong with kids these days??

:O

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

I guess i'm feeling like a creaky old timer, having been a blithering idiot fan for Bo Bice.

Is that why your name is "littlebopeep"? :D I like that!

I'm not sure Colton had such a rabid fan base, to be honest. I've not seen much passionate chatter about him on the usual Idol sites. Remember Constantine? Now, there was someone with insanely devoted, and vocal fans. He also had one bad performance after a string of hits, and out he went at #6. Shocker! (This was, of course, the early days when AI viewers still got shocked by an unexpected ouster. We've grown very cynical since then). I still think the casual Idol viewer vote is stronger than any fan group's power voting. Can't prove that, but it does explain how one very bad night equals getting the boot.

Edited by deedee2, Apr 21, 2012 @ 9:20 AM.

littlebopeep

littlebopeep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Is that why your name is "littlebopeep"? :D I like that!

Yes.
My name is an artifact from the Mesozoic Era that was season 3.

I will always remember the kindness of you Constantine fans when you came to our Bo thread and e-held us as we wept for our fallen contestant. You knew the sting from your own night of shock and horror at losing your beloved too soon. Even though Bo was in the final and "too soon" could hardly be said about him, his loss was still a grave injustice to all of us who loved him.

I suppose that I am out of touch now, assuming that Colton would have a similar outpouring of grief. Is it Colton specifically or the show in general? Where are the weeping fans who take these losses way too much to heart?

Edited by littlebopeep, Apr 21, 2012 @ 10:05 AM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Yes.
My name is an artifact from the Mesozoic Era that was season 3.

I know it was centuries ago, and memory does decline with age, but Bo was on Season 4 along with Constantine.

I will always remember the kindness of you Constantine fans when you came to our Bo thread and e-held us as we wept for our fallen contestant. You knew the sting from your own night of shock and horror at losing your beloved too soon. Even though Bo was in the final and "too soon" could hardly be said about him, his loss was still a grave injustice to all of us who loved him.

Hard for me to believe now, but I was an over-invested Constantine fan. If he were on the show today, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like him at all! Really can't explain that period in my life, lol. I wonder how things would have panned out for Bo and Carrie if Bo had won instead of her.

I suppose that I am out of touch now, assuming that Colton would have a similar outpouring of grief. Is it Colton specifically or the show in general? Where are the weeping fans who take these losses way too much to heart?

Good question. The last time I was truly passionate about a contestant was in Season 7 - David Cook. And the following year, Adam Lambert created a huge buzz. So, I think it's still possible for the contestants to get people going ... and Colton just didn't seem to have *it* enough to spark a huge outpouring of bitter tears and outrage. But in general, viewers have become a bit inured to the losses. Even the contestants don't cry anymore while watching their journey reels.

Edited by deedee2, Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:10 AM.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Oh, if you want to observe the cray-cray, just head over to VFTW. They've quoted some of the loonier tweets from the Colton fans, including one who claimed she (I assume it was a 'she')almost stuck a pen in her throat when he was booted *eyeroll*. I think his fans are younger, and mostly on fanboards or Twitter.
That said, he played a pretty good game and I (mostly) enjoyed his contribution to the entertainment this year.

lazyhazydays

lazyhazydays

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

and Colton just didn't seem to have *it* enough to spark a huge outpouring of bitter tears and outrage.

Oh, there has been a huge outpouring of outrage targeted at Elise, Hollie, and Jessica. The discussion over at MJs was that Elise posted something on her Facebook regarding the hate. Apparently, it's not just from teenagers, but adults as well.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Oh, if you want to observe the cray-cray, just head over to VFTW. They've quoted some of the loonier tweets from the Colton fans, including one who claimed she (I assume it was a 'she')almost stuck a pen in her throat when he was booted *eyeroll*.

Oh, there has been a huge outpouring of outrage targeted at Elise, Hollie, and Jessica. The discussion over at MJs was that Elise posted something on her Facebook regarding the hate. Apparently, it's not just from teenagers, but adults as well

Hmm, interesting. Well, the Idol sites that I've been hanging out on for years don't give any indication that Colton has such a mass of nutter fans. I mean, look at his thread here at TWoP ... *crickets* compared with Constantine, Cook, Archie, Lambert, etc.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

I mean, look at his thread here at TWoP ... *crickets* compared with Constantine, Cook, Archie, Lambert, etc.

But those folks have years of history and loyal fan bases. Compare Colton's thread to the rest of the S11 folks and he looks pretty good. Heck, even the allegedly delicious PP only has a slightly bigger thread and there haven't been any comments for days.

littlebopeep

littlebopeep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

I know it was centuries ago, and memory does decline with age, but Bo was on Season 4 along with Constantine

Season 4? What an embarrassing mistake for someone who is disappointed with the lack of crazy in today's young fans. Two slaps with a wet guitar string for me.

Edited by littlebopeep, Apr 21, 2012 @ 6:37 PM.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

But those folks have years of history and loyal fan bases. Compare Colton's thread to the rest of the S11 folks and he looks pretty good.

I meant how hopping the threads were during the contestants' respective seasons. Then again, the lack of posting could simply mean that fans have moved to different forums, or to social media like twitter or facebook instead of forums.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I meant how hopping the threads were during the contestants' respective seasons.

Oh, yeah, that pretty much ended with S8, didn't it.

deedee2

deedee2

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

Oh, yeah, that pretty much ended with S8, didn't it.

Did it? I didn't realize. Why is that?

Anyway, if Colton does have a rabid, frothing fan base ... more power. I guess because he seriously makes my eyes roll out of my head, down the hall, and out the door, I don't actually search out sites that talk about how awesome he is, lol. So, I'm not exactly in-the-know here.

LadyNardicus

LadyNardicus

Video Archivist

• Interests:TV show wise, I love Late night with Jimmy Fallon, Modern Family, Cougar Town, An Idiot Abroad, Ghost Adventures, The Real World, The Real World Road Rules Challenge, Trophy wife, The Michael J. Fox show, America Unearthed,The Mindy Project, and whatever else strikes my fancy.

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

I was highly dissapointed that Colton got voted off. I don't know who I am rooting for anymore. He has a voice that I really like. Oh well, the way I see it, he will do better than if he was the actual Idol.