Elise Testone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

33 replies to this topic

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

Ha ha, what is Elise a government program? She on welfare? I missed that comment. Strip her of her future social security!!

Seriously I'm surprised she made it this far. A man is so going to win again.

madam magpie

madam magpie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

From the top-seven results show thread...

Now I usually like singer/songwriter types, but i have absolutely no connection to Elise. For me, she is very inconsistent and will never be a successful solo artist no matter how hard the judges and her fans are pushing her. It makes me cringe when people compare her to Haley, who showed the range and potential that Elise will never reach. It's too bad Haley's first single was a bummer which doesn't bode well for her upcoming album. I still think Elise needs to front a band because, I'm sorry, I just don't see a solo star.

I was a huge Haley fan last year. She's the only person I voted for, I hated how badly the judges "judged" her, and I was as angry as anyone when she didn't win. I bought her single "Free" and like it a lot, and will buy more of the album when it comes out. This year, Elise is my favorite, and I think there are a lot of similarities between the two, both in the styles they're presenting on the show (granted, Haley may be more of a jazz baby in real life, but on the show, she went the growly, bluesy, rocker route), how they look, how they act, how they don't buy the bullshit, how they're hanging in there even when the voting says they should be going home, and how they're being (I believe) misjudged by the public. They also appear to have a similar range and like to slip in and out of those high, break-y notes (I didn't pay attention in music theory and so don't know the technical term for what they're doing), which is a style I like a lot. To say Elise doesn't have Haley's range is premature, I think. Haley was inconsistent a lot too. I think that comes from taking chances. Sometimes you nail it, sometimes you don't. The fact that they both do that is just another similarity to me.

The main difference I see is how the judges are responding to Elise. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I could see a case being made for the fact that the judges learned a lesson last year in their bashing of Haley and are being nicer to Elise. Maybe...maybe not.

That said, I always wanted Haley fronting a jazz band. I don't see any reason that being in a band is worse than being a solo singer. And I think Elise needs to front a band too, not because she needs to be drowned out but because she's got the energy for real rock-n-roll with drums and badass guitar players and the like. Plus Elise is constantly talking about how much she misses her band, so I'm assuming she likes that energy. Sounds great to me. I'd consider buying her album. Not so much for any of the others on the show.

In other news, this...

Ha ha, what is Elise a government program? She on welfare? I missed that comment. Strip her of her future social security!!

...made me laugh out loud.

Edited by madam magpie, Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:47 PM.

tinybrushes

tinybrushes

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Agreed on the "fronting a band" thing...I don't know either why it seems to be considered a step down from being a solo performer.

Solo performers have bands (even if they play their own instruments) and backup singers. Isn't it better to have a consistent group of them with real chemistry than to book new ones for each tour or venue? How does it take away from a soloist's appeal if the rest of the group on stage are familiar? Is the fact that some of them may have their own fans such a threat or something?

madam magpie

madam magpie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Exactly! I'm reminded of an interview I saw once with Joss Stone where she said that her reaction to Mick Jagger asking her to be in that supergroup he put together last year was, "You want me to be in your band?! Hell yes! I've always wanted to be in a band!!" Mmmhmm...me too, Joss, me too. I actually tend to look at it the other way, like, "What's wrong with performers who don't want to be in a band?? Are they unable to play nice with others?"

Then again, have you all seen that youtube video of Elise playing guitar and singing her song (I think it's hers) "Lucky Day" at a singer/songwriter showcase in Charleston? It's just her, no band, and wowza...it's fantastic.