Deandre Brackensick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

47 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Deandre Brackensick

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

This guy has a lot of potential but I do agree with others who say that he needs to tone down the hair gymnastics and overuse of falsetto. He's in a number of YouTube videos that show he has amazing tone and voice control.

I'm Your Puppet

Ms Celie's Blues

End of the Road (starting at 1:36)

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

You Can't Do That(?) (Jalen is good too)

I agree with Jimmy in that he just needs a good coach. I also think Deandre has been overly nervous thus far, and hopefully he can calm his nerves going forth.

He does seem much like Maxwell, yet Maxwell uses falsetto sparingly. Deandre has been singing for a long time and he's still pretty young, so he probably still needs to develop a strong comfort level with his lower register as his voice has likely only deepened relatively recently. BTW, he also reminds me of a young Mariah Carey with the vocal range ... and the hair.

anne uk

anne uk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

I think everyone needs to remember that he's only 17. He's very cute and is in the process of finding out about the power of being a good-looking young guy with some talent. I'm sure the hair-tossing will be taken under control and hopefully Jimmy Iovine (who seems to appreciate his potential) will get to work on his voice and his presentation His lower register is very nice and he needs to get comfortable using it. I can see him getting to top 5 or 6 even without the power of the hair...

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Top 13 Q&A:

What sets you apart from the other contestants?
DeAndre Brackensick: Other than my hair? [Laughs] I do have a big, big range. I have a low voice, and I have a very, very high voice. I try to use the high to my advantage, not too much. But hopefully the high can push me through at least to tour.

What do you need to improve to win the competition?
DeAndre Brackensick: Stage presence. Going to a live audience. Switching from three people staring at you going to a live audience, I was a little off. I need to work on being comfortable.

What one thing about yourself do you most want people to know that hasnít been covered on the show?
DeAndre Brackensick: Iím really into Hawaiian culture. I grew up with Hawaiian culture.

This is the point when contestants often get makeovers ó anything youíd love or loathe to change?
DeAndre Brackensick: Iím dreading if they ever want to do anything with my hair ó color it or flat-iron it. As far as style, Iím open, but I hope I can just stay me.

Any specific theme nights youíre dreading or looking forward to?
DeAndre Brackensick: Iím looking forward to Motown week, hopefully. And, Iím not looking forward to my birth year, if they do that again, because it wasnít really my time or my genre of music.

Who gives the most constructive and helpful feedback: Steven, Jennifer, or Randy?
DeAndre Brackensick: Steven does. He gives a lot of compliments, but he tells me what needs to get done, performance-wise and vocally.

moww

moww

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

Kid has enormous potential. Should make top 3 or even win, though his weakness is lack of experience. So hopefully he stick around and get signed at least.

AquaWings

AquaWings

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

This kid is so good that it makes me uncomfortable. I do think the use of the falsetto should be toned down a bit though - he almost sounds castrated at times and his lower register sounds amazing.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

I hope he stays around a long time to get that training. I love his voice but he doesn't seem to control it very well. This could be really good for him.

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

Thank you, rabal, for the youtubes. Why didn't he show this in the auditions? I thought he only sang in his girly voice but his regular voice is beautiful. So talented and so glad that he made the top 13. It'll be a pleasure to watch out for him.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

I've heard people here and elsewhere make a fuss about how DeAndre was robbed last year. Did we see him do anything last year other than (badly over)sing one line of "Somebody to Love" in Hollywood? I hated his voice on that, and I've mostly hated his singing this year on the show, too. He does, however, seem like a sweet kid with some talent (which, agreed with posts upthread, you can find far more of on YouTube than we've seen on the show), and I hope the infrastructure of the show helps him learn how to make the most of it. At the same time, I hope he starts to give performances on the show that doesn't literally hurt my ears. So far, including last year and Hollywood, he's about 0-for-5 on that.

cubbie5150

cubbie5150

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

I agree w/ others: I hope this kid gets some good coaching/advice, and that he is receptive to it.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

I try to use the high to my advantage, not too much. But hopefully the high can push me through at least to tour.

See, that right there is where he's going to crash and burn. 'Not too much', are you kidding me? He's done almost nothing but falsetto stuff so far. Hello, DeAndre- you didn't get voted into the top 10. The vast majority of the audience doesn't want to listen to a voice only dogs can hear. I'm pretty sure Iovine will tell him to get the hell away from the falsetto.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

I'm pretty sure Iovine will tell him to get the hell away from the falsetto.

If he steps away from the falsetto then the only remaining distinguishing trait is his hair. He really does have a clean pure falsetto (as far as I can remember probably the best we've seen in an Idol) he just a) overuses it and worse b) makes the transitions from head to chest and back too abruptly and in strange places sometimes. Both can be coached out of him. He's lucky that his chest voice has a very, very nice tone to it. If he doesn't eliminate his use of the falsetto but uses it judiciously he may do well, but only I think if he *does* step away from the deliberate hair tossing. It's forced and immature and distracts seriously from his otherwise high likability factor.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Can't stand his voice. His falsetto is weak and cracks. His natural voice is average. His hair flipping is damn annoying. Seems like a nice kid but this isn't American Nice Kid.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Deandre is proof that sometimes it's not good to hold a contestant back. He's also proof that the road was cleared for Scotty last year. When I saw him in the auditions, I was confident he would not only be selected, but would win the whole thing, and then he was cut. Like the insanely good country singer who was cut because he was 'too good,' rivals for Scotty had to be removed.

Now I'm worried he's a bit ruined. His performances are affected, to put it mildly and there's a sense of looking in a mirror instead of an audience. Not the humble kid that was there last year. I sense he's gotten laid since then.

I think the smartest thing he could do right off the bat is cut off his hair, showing that he's serious about his singing and it being in the spotlight, not his looks. (Besides, he's just as gorgeous with short hair, I see from the home videos)

If he's cut, it looks like his sister's getting ready for a family redemption run as soon as she's old enough.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I saw him in the auditions, I was confident he would not only be selected, but would win the whole thing...

Now I'm worried he's a bit ruined. His performances are affected, to put it mildly and there's a sense of looking in a mirror instead of an audience. Not the humble kid that was there last year...

Sorry to repeat myself, but did we see him at all last year other than singing one line of "Somebody to Love"? If so, when, and how did I miss it, and does anyone have a YouTube link? I'm really weirded out by these frequent implications that he had some long, successful run on the show last year, when I'm pretty sure all we saw was him singing one line, badly, in a terribly over-pimped over-stage-mothered group of awful, precocious, not-half-as-good-as-they-thought-they-were pageant kids of which DeAndre was (as much as you can tell from the singing of one line) the worst one.

He was as affected last year when he sang one line as he has been this year. His voice was (even) weaker and less controlled. Whether DeAndre is any good or not is a matter of opinion on which we differ (and I do think he can sing, as shown on some of his personal YouTube clips---just never on the show), but whether we were given any evidence that he was any good last year on the show is where I get confused.

I don't get this idea that someone who the public has never voted for was in some way a threat to Scotty, either. He's obviously not that popular, or he'd have beaten out some people this year for a top 10 spot.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

Considering I cannot even remember my own phone number on any given day, the fact that I can remember this kid and Hollie from last year means they made an impression on me, which would have been more than one line sung, badly or not. Heck, this year, with the top 24, most of them I had no idea who they were, despite photographic evidence to the fact I'd seen their auditions and background packages.

Yes, he was part of the group with the over-bearing mothers. We saw them rehearse quite a bit, their performance, etc. Even after being cut, there was a lot of buzz that the group of youngsters should stay together and get a contract.

I find it interesting that he/his family/TPTB learned from the impression those parents gave and there's no sign of Mom backstage this year, despite the fact surely at least one of his parents is there since he's underage still. Glad that Brielle didn't notice that and brought her hideous mother along so she was dumped quickly.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 5:03 AM

Wow, rereading my last post, it sounds much more hostile than I meant it to. Sorry! I just hope DeAndre does something on the show that I like as much as his YouTube covers. (If anyone thinks they don't like DeAndre and has refrained from clicking on, say, the "I'm Your Puppet" link above, you're really missing out.)

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

I'm surprised Deandre's YouTube stuff is still up. SO worth watching, especially his doing the hula and playing ukelele (not in the same video). And I think he looks better with his hair tied back, too ... he is a very beautiful young man. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a modeling contract as well after this.

Also surprised that he has not (yet) emphasized not only his Hawaiian culture or the fact that he is part Filipino, given the voting bloc there. He could steal some Jessica votes.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

I wonder if Paula Abdul has gotten a good look at this guy. She must really be kicking herself right about now for leaving the show. LOL!

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Also surprised that he has not (yet) emphasized not only his Hawaiian culture or the fact that he is part Filipino, given the voting bloc there. He could steal some Jessica votes.

I thought Deandre was bi-racial, Black and White and the couple who were hugging themselves when he was chosen for the Top 13 (Black woman and White man) his parents.

And I don't think Paula is kicking herself too hard since this little boy pings the 'dar harder than a midnight showing of Das Boot.

Edited by roydenlea, Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:49 AM.

JazzieCazzie

JazzieCazzie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

He is bi-racial in that his mom is black and his dad is white, but one of them must be part-Filipino since he said in his Entertainment Weekly Q&A that he is part-Filipino.

And that is one gorgeous family.

whutzcrackin

whutzcrackin

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

And I don't think Paula is kicking herself too hard since this little boy pings the 'dar harder than a midnight showing of Das Boot.

He was asked about this on Twitter and his response was that he likes girls. He's only 17 so who knows?

Brandy77

Brandy77

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

I really enjoyed Deandre's performance tonight & completely agreed with Randy's critique about showing he could handle an uptempo song deftly. His voice is so rich & layered--I hope he sticks around for awhile & continues to showcase his diversity & take in the training he's receiving.

rabal

rabal

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

I thought last night's perfomance was OK vocally and entertaining overall. I don't think "Master Blaster" is a good song for showcasing vocals - that song is more about the groove of the music. "Do I Do" might've been a better choice for an uptempo Stevie song.

I believe he needs to work on his enunciation and voice control. He can do well with both as evidenced by his YouTube videos. I think the more he walks and dances and moves around on stage, the less control he has over his voice. When he stands and sings or moves only a little, his vocals are much better. He probably is still a little nervous too. If he works on those things he'll go very far.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I thought that was a difficult song for him to sing last night, so I thought he did a pretty good job with it overall. Right now, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that he at the very least makes the top ten. Then, at least I'll breathe a little easier.

bluwater

bluwater

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

I am loving watching Deandre! He's the only one that interests me this year and I loved him last year too. Was disappointed when they sent him home, but glad he made it through this time. I find his vocals interesting. I'm sure he's nervous as all get out up there, but I can tell music is in his soul and he feels it.

Hope he sticks around for a long, long time.

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I loved his performance Wed and found him totally entertaining. I was glad that he dropped the girly voice. Why do men sing like that and why is it popular? I love his hair and hope he doesn't cut it. Shallow, I know.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

I don't think there are that man guys that sing with the falsetto. But I have many that I love including Philip Bailey and Aaron Neville. And I'm a big time old R&B fan and usually in those guy groups there was someone their that filled the role. To me his regular voice is good enough and he should pull out the falsetto sparingly - or at least not every week. And he already showed that he is more than willing to do it.

He's a local boy so our local news does story every week. I'm glad he's getting that. Maybe it will get people to vote for him and keep him in for a while.

Ohwell..thanks for listing some of my favorites. How could I forget Eddie Kendricks and Smokey. There was also the Stylistics and even Heatwave had a singer with a falsetto. I love these guys. I'm old school (and old) as well. In fact I'm watching a PBS special now and Tavares is singing and these old guys are making me happy. And remember Switch? There'll Never Be.

I wonder if Deandre could handle that song because I'd love to hear him try. Or I Call Your Name.

Bobby DeBarge -- what a crying shame what happened to him.

Edited by angelita100, Mar 10, 2012 @ 9:45 PM.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Back in the day (I'm old) men using falsettos used to be a lot more common, especially in the 60's and 70's as I recall. Smokey Robinson, Eddie Kendricks, Russell Tompkins Jr. (of the Stylistics), just to name a few. A good falsetto guy used to make the ladies squirm in their seats, lol. Even though I want Deandre to use the falsetto sparingly, I'm glad that he can.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:01 PM

He is bi-racial in that his mom is black and his dad is white, but one of them must be part-Filipino since he said in his Entertainment Weekly Q&A that he is part-Filipino.

Really? How did I miss that?

That being said, his Master Blaster was chill and fun. Looks like the guy has some potential.