8-17: "Test the Store" 2012.03.01

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

TwizzWhizz11

TwizzWhizz11

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

At the Sabre store opening, Dwight attempts to put on a theatrical presentation to impress Nellie; Andy is embarrassed after receiving an injury.

Mindy Kaling wrote it, and I definitely enjoyed the episode. Loved the stuff actually happening at the office - such a good, old-school Office idea that could have worked just as well had Michael been the manager.

Jessie Q

Jessie Q

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Was the older woman Georgia Engel (aka Georgette Baxter from the Mary Tyler Moore Show)?

wingster55

wingster55

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

It was a decent ep...but would it have been the worst thing if Ryan, I don't know, actually succeeded at something?

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Was the older woman Georgia Engel (aka Georgette Baxter from the Mary Tyler Moore Show)?

I'm pretty sure it was. That voice is unmistakable!
I think this is my favorite episode of the entire season. Definitely seemed to be firing on all cylinders. Mindy Kaling needs to write every episode. Most of the episodes I've actually enjoyed this season were written by Mindy.
I loved to see Jim and Dwight teaming up to encourage Ryan. Great to see Toby front and center, too. "I'll go get my cup." Funny stuff across the board.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Jim's presentation was the funniest bit of the entire season. From the make-up to the mismatch of the graphics and spoken words to the levitating pyramid, it was simply awesome. This was a very good episode.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

When she started talking about her late husband, I actually thought, "Ted Baxter's dead?" and then thought it might be a sweet nod to Ted Knight, too.

A very funny episode. Jim spinning the sign was classic.

NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

And from Everybody Loves Raymond too!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

And Tig Notaro as the bully's mother.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:22 AM

I realize that none of the characters ever face serious consequences for falling down on the job, but surely Ryan bailing on the presentation and leaving town altogether would finally get him fired, right? (Though really, without Michael protecting his old 'protege,' Ryan should've been fired a while ago.)

Creed's demonstration of strike, scream and run on Meredith was brilliant.

Edited by myriadphalanx, Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:23 AM.

utti

utti

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

I thought the situation of Andy getting punched by a little kid was too sitcom-y, but I forgave it because it gave Pam the opportunity to hit that 5th-grader with the comeback: "Why don't we wait until you have your baby next year."

Also everything about Jim's presentation was hilarious.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Loved Hipster Erin. She needs her own spinoff.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Yes! She was hilarious! "Zooo-ie Des-channel" cracked me up.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

Yes! She was hilarious! "Zooo-ie Des-channel" cracked me up

Agreed. I don't know how they do it but they find a way to make Ellie Kemper cuter every week.

Lola82

Lola82

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

I laughed at Kelly's impatience at hearing what happened to Andy - "So much time has passed. It's like my life is buffering"

Pretty funny episode overall.
"Speaking of pimples, let's release the bloggers!"

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

I hope this doesn't qualify as a spoiler, but I read in that Paul Lieberstein interview that Georgia Engel will be back for a couple more episodes.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

"So much time has passed. It's like my life is buffering."

That was a fantastic line; I can't wait to use it.

The Andy story wasn't anything special, and I kind of think the resolution didn't land like it should have, but it had some funny lines. And I'm really impressed with the Florida arc so far; it's been clear since the Michael Scott Paper Company arc that this show is at its best now when it has an actual plot, so I don't know why they only both having one for a few episodes a season. Jim's presentation was hilarious, and they've been getting better use out of him, Dwight, Ryan, and Erin than they have been all season.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Georgia Engel will be back for a couple more episodes.

That's cool. I remember her on MTM when she sang "Steam Heat." My ten-year-old self was amazed at that...while believing girls were still full of cooties.

I really think the episode was full or win. Mindy's stuff is so hit-or-miss with me, but this had a consistant pace and purpose. Just that a costume for Ryan isn't going to fit Jim, who looked a bit like early 80s David Bowie.

Pam had the best line of the night. Kelly a close second. Even Krazy!Kathy made me laugh when getting the blogger's attention.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Andy and his girlfriend are good together. Must he end up with Erin?

Again, despite any protests by them, Dwight and Jim are a great team.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

I wonder if there are outtakes of JK or RW laughing during the scene where Dwight whips off his glasses and grabs Jim's face.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Creed's demonstration of strike, scream and run on Meredith was brilliant.

Loved it.

My DVR cut off the tag--anything interesting happen?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Stanley had a slice of pizza stashed in his pocket! I want to hang with Stanley. Or maybe I just want pizza.

I really thought the show'd lost all life, but this has been a good run.

I was amazed that they let Pam say that line to the kid. Loved the kid's mom. I'm just now realizing they haven't mined the potential of Scranton and the neighborhood at all.

I don't like the whole "got beat up by a girl" joke, like it's funny if a girl decks him, but not a boy? But I thought Andy's deciding he got where he was by being willing to get involved was pretty good. It's true that passive bystanders get less banged up than people who try to help in a confrontation. Actually this is on my mind already because I'm watching "The Slap" which is a series about a guy who hits a kid who's dangerously acting out (more dangerous than throwing pine cones). Andy had slow reflexes, but other than that, what was he supposed to do? Being punched by a kid doesn't really afford you the opportunity to say "you should see what happened to the other guy"-- and do we really want more people throwing punches, even with adults?

I like that they are developing Andy to be a buffoon of a boss without him being the same kind of incompetent as Michael. He's just enough off kilter to provide fodder, but not so over the top so as to be just too damn much. Most of the bosses they've had have been just too much.

ETA: I can't remember what the tag was. There was a scene where Jim is holding the sign outside and just up the street another guy is holding a similar sign but doing tricks with it. Jim tries to imitate the moves and fails miserably. That might have been the tag or it might have come earlier, but I think that was it.

Edited by possibilities, Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:43 PM.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

The sign bit was the tag. Poor Jim didn't stand a chance against the professional sign spinner guy.

Jim having to give the Ryan speech while wearing the suit made for Ryan that made him look like he was wearing doll clothes (too bad the lighting and stage kept us from seeing how high-water those pants were) and guyliner might have been one of the funniest things they've done on this show in a while. At first, he was so awkward and uncomfortable, but he ended up really selling it. It also gave me flashbacks to a presentation at a corporate seminar I once had to attend, only the music they used was U2's "Beautiful Day." Still, very, very similar, but without the guyliner.

tabbygirl521

tabbygirl521

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

The PowerPoint or whatever in the background of the presentation was funny on its own - totally irrelevant images like MLK Jr.

A pyramid can contain all other shapes.

Didn't Stanley pull his pizza wedge out of a conveniently pyramid-shaped pocket?

momof6

momof6

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

The sign bit was the tag. Poor Jim didn't stand a chance against the professional sign spinner guy.

Right, but the point of the tag was that when "the professional sign spinner guy" slowed down, you could see that his sign was for a going-out-of-business sale. At that point, Jim stopped spinning and resumed pointing to the Sabre store, which will hopefully be spared that fate.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

Right, but the point of the tag was that when "the professional sign spinner guy" slowed down, you could see that his sign was for a going-out-of-business sale.

Oh, wow, good catch! I didn't even notice that. I was just watching the sign flipping gymnastics. In real life, it does seem like about 98 percent of those sign-flipping guys are advertising going-out-of-business sales.

I wonder if Jim's giving up on the competition also had something to do with resignation about the chances of the Sabre store succeeding.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Was Jim doing the presentation a reference to John Krasinski being Apple's new voice over guy in commercials?

Also, the fact that Zachary Levi/Chuck is the face of Sabre/Arrowhead probably isn't a great sign since Chuck is off the air...

rocknrollchic

rocknrollchic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

Did anyone notice that when he hits himself in the head, it looks like he breaks character and actually laughs to himself? I rewound several times... I cracked up. I love when the actors are laughing at themselves, especially on shows like this. It makes the episode better if the actors are having fun.

My Way

My Way

Stalker

• Interests:Jensen Ackles.

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

I think this is my favorite episode of the entire season.

Me too. I laughed for like five minutes straight at Angela's rape flute. And any Toby is good Toby for me!

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

• Interests:Indie rock music, skee ball, air hockey, and selling records.

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

I think this was my favorite episode in awhile - thanks for letting me know that Mindy wrote it, since I didn't catch that at first. Makes sense, since Mindy's last episode was, in my opinion, the last episode that was this strong.

I know I'm easily amused, but I loved Erin's dorky little dance with the pan-out to the homeless people. Also? This is the first time I've truly smiled at anything Jim's done in a long time. John Kraskinski rocked this episode.

I don't like the whole "got beat up by a girl" joke, like it's funny if a girl decks him, but not a boy?

I actually thought Andy was punched by a boy, and thought that was really funny. So when the girl came in, that was a surprise to me.

Jade Black

Jade Black

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

I wonder if there are outtakes of JK or RW laughing during the scene where Dwight whips off his glasses and grabs Jim's face.

My favorite line of the episode was, "This is not the face of a performer! This is the face of a scary apparition you see before you die."