Magic City: Med Men Meets The Mob In Miami?!?!

• Please log in to reply

135 replies to this topic

cherry malotte

cherry malotte

Fanatic

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 12:42 PM

Aw nuts...I am disappointed.  I wasn't hardcore on this like I am with GoT or Boardwalk Empire but I so enjoyed the eye candy.  My husband and I certainly drooled over the cars and sets, and I was looking forward to a third season.  Damn!

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2013 @ 1:36 PM

I think this show can be in the same conversation as Boardwalk Empire. There's a lot of similarities. I even think if MC was on HBO it would have probably lasted longer.

PeriwinkleEyes

PeriwinkleEyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

Okay guys. Tonight's the season/series finale. I will be home late, but since Starz enjoys re-showing their shows like 1000X a day I will definitely watch it at least twice and then come on here some time over the weekend so we can discuss. Does anyone have any "ideas" of what will go down or what they would like to see happen? I'm hoping Sy won't kill Ben or Ike, but I know that someone(s) in Ike's family is going to have to die. He apparently owes Sy $10,000 dollars and Ben owes Sy $2 million I think. So, buh bye Stevie, Lily, Vera and possibly Bel even tho I like Bel. His facial expressions are great. I just don't want Lauren to get killed. She's an innocent in all this crap. Not sure about Aunt Meg. I can't tell if she's really team Ike or if she's out for her own personal agenda. Guess we'll find out tonight. Could care less about the Cuban story and Mercedes being pregnant. Madame Renee's brothel was a waste of time and space since there is no season 3. Maybe it will be blown to smitherweens or something. Lily and Stevie, could care less, kill them both please. Even though I like Lily.

garyc

garyc

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 3:19 AM

Neither he nor Ben are. Ike did successfully rig the Cuban lottery and rip Ben off of $2 million though, and that was his idea, with a little help from his father. So that's wasn't too bad. The hotel is pretty successful too. But Ike doesn't know what shit Stevie's got into, and it hasn't crossed Ben's mind that Ike rigged the lottery.

But they are pretty small time guys. Witness Ben whining to James Caan and basically getting a verbal bitch slap. I think that's the point of the show though.

Certainly appears so after the series finale, though Ben might have understood Cy better than people were given him credit for.  Two looks summed it up for me:  The look on Ike's face after Meg and him make their deal and she kisses him and tells him he does not know who she really is.  Made me wonder if he wasn't thinking he was better off partners with Cy.  And Ben's look as he lies in the hospital while Klein tells him he is after him.  I couldn't quite figure out what the smile meant, but then Ben's thinking was often hard to figure. 

Liked the final scene of Ike on the beach drawing his castle, sorry hotel, in the sand.  Bit of a Godfather II ending given the state of his family. 

Starz should have given this a third season to better wrap up story lines.  Thought with more time they would have explored Mob/Cuban emigre connections more closely and JFK assasination theories coming out of it.  Though given Ike's position caught between Ben and Klein, something had to give pretty soon.

Edited by garyc, Aug 10, 2013 @ 3:26 AM.

cakes22

cakes22

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 7:41 AM

When Sy got in the car to go after Ben I had a bad feeling.

PeriwinkleEyes

PeriwinkleEyes

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 1:48 PM

Well, that was not enough of a season finale to make me happy. I'm not trying to complain, but wtf was going on? First off. Vera. No! Silly woman. You do not go to your stepson's apartment and contemplate sleeping with him. He's a walking, talking disease infested dude. Also, he's your stepson. No, eew, eew, eew. Glad the show didn't go there. Second. RIP Judy. I'll miss you girl. Why did they have to kill her off and not Lily and Stevie. Seriously show. Stevie and Lily  needed to be killed off and in a painful way. RIP Vic, RIP Esai Morales, RIP Cy, RIP Bel, RIP all those mob henchmen. Meg, you dirty little slut. Kissing Ike, telling him he doesn't really know who you are and for Ike to stand there and allow it to happen after Vera tells you she's worried.  You're a disgusting bastard. I wish something bad had happened to you or one of your family members. Glad Ben is still alive, loved his little smile at the end. Jack Klein was by far my favorite and the smartest in the episode. Good grief I wish there was another season so we can have some sort of finish to everything. You know that the Chicago mob is going to be pissed off that Cy was killed. They would be coming over to kill Ike and Ben. Or maybe not kill them, but hurt them. Oh yeah. What was the purpose of Madam Renee's brothel? It had no business being on the show, except to set up Judy's unfortunate killing. Oh show.  0__0

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2013 @ 7:15 PM

Kissing Ike, telling him he doesn't really know who you are and for Ike to stand there and allow it to happen after Vera tells you she's worried.

Not for nothing, but Ike's argument is, should I be $10 million in debt to the Chicago mob or to Meg? I think it's a pretty fair argument. Her saying, "you don't understand women," doesn't seem to be enough in his case. You know what, V? Men don't understand women, so, what?

I really am intrigued about Sy getting blown up. Also, Old Tymey better not be dead! Presumably, Ben send his guys to take out Sy, and there's a messy shoot out. Then Sy seems to escape to his car, but it blows up big time. Ben, or his guys, couldn't have planted it to me, because why raise suspicion or risk your guys with the shoot out. Ike I think didn't plant a bomb because I don't think he knew where Sy was. Could it be possibly that Meg planted the bomb? It's out there, but she'd be the only other suspect.

I thought Stevie knew that Ben knew he was fucking Lily, but I guess not. That was a pretty awesome scene though.

Sy is kind of dumb. Ike's offering to repay $10 million, plus control over the Cuban hotels, and he *only* wanted to keep the Myramar? That's not a bad deal. Maybe you counter with saying Ike has to pay interest on the $10 million, but come on. He's still clinging to the gambling. I thought it was overly greedy given the Cuban hotels. I think Ike came at him like an ass though, and maybe that's what pissed him off.

I didn't like the wrap up of the "mole" guy in the DA's office. It was too sloppy. I think killing Judi seemed dumb since everyone knew he was there. I'm doubtful she dies if the show was going into S3. She's a good pov to have on the show.

It ended like I thought though. Ben is down but not out, Ike is looking good. Killing off Sy in such a big way might be enough to kick the Chicago influence out of Miami too.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 9:48 AM

Poor Ray-Ray.  All he got out of his time at the Miramar Playa was a stupid nickname and no storyline.

I'm not surprised that Ben went after Sy since Ben is desperate and thinking in the extreme short-term.

I am suprised that Bel went along with it.  Bel's smart enough to know that Chicago's won't just roll over.  It would have made a lot more sense for Bel to betray Ben.

Ordinarily I'd say offing Judy Silver was mistake since she's probably the best actor or actress on the show, or at least the most charismatic, but since Magic City has been canceled, we won't see any of the characters again anyway.

I really wish Vera's last scene wasn't waiting in her car outside of Stevie's hotel.  I think the writers never had any idea what to do with her character.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 11:47 AM

I'm not surprised that Ben went after Sy since Ben is desperate and thinking in the extreme short-term.

It pretty much was his only strategy left since the gambling bill tank. However, I think Chicago is going to have a tougher time than they think. They clearly don't have any infrastructure in Miami and were fine with Sy dealing with that since the money kept rolling in. It seems to me that Sy's "crew" was Ben in Miami. Sy would have to probably answer to a made man since he's not Italian. With Sy gone, the Chicago mob would have to put together a lot of resources to start a mob war in Miami, since they'd have to bring everything with them.

I suppose they could buy off Cubans, but based on general mob history, that's not much the case. Plus, if *Meg* was the one who really planted the bomb, then I think it would be a tall order for the mob to just waltz in.

mr.simpatico

mr.simpatico

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2013 @ 12:53 PM

First off. Vera. No! Silly woman. You do not go to your stepson's apartment and contemplate sleeping with him. He's a walking, talking disease infested dude. Also, he's your stepson. No, eew, eew, eew. Glad the show didn't go there.

I never got what exactly was going on there. Sure Stevie is attracted to Vera, she's young and hot and he'd have sex with anything in a skirt. He's also a total sleeze, treats people like crap and its pointed out again and again how much Vera loves Ike. So why would she even contemplate it (and the possibility it would destroy her marriage/family) With Stevie of all people (who has a huge storyline of his own with Ben/Lily)? She was never even shown to be remotely attracted to him sexually before. They really did have no idea what to do with Vera.

Was a bit upset that they offed Judy. I found her the most likable ADULT character on the show. But was not surprised they cancelled the show. Not only must it have been expensive to produce but it didn't seem like the show itself knew what direction it was going. In that way it was like a modern version of Camelot, another Starz production with a good cast/premise that went nowhere.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 4:28 PM

I think the problem with the show is the lack of depth that Boardwalk Empire has. Also, I find that the show is heavy on the dialogue and not on the action. I can not help feeling a bit like watching soap opera at times. Finally, I also find that the dropping of expletive every three sentences, and done virtually by everybody, is a bit excessive and unrealistic.

Sorry for comparing with Boardwalk Empire. But both shows are period drama involving organized crimes.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

I think the comparison to BE is apt. I've made it myself. The only thing is that BE is an historical drama because those people actually existed and there's big events that you know are going to happen on the show. Like Prohibition, for example.

BE's first season was slooooowww. But I think BE benefited from being on HBO, who can afford some level of patience, not to mention absorb higher production costs that Starz cannot.

I can not help feeling a bit like watching soap opera at times.

I thought it was a soap opera. Honestly. I thought Starz was trying to make this a thing. It's a summer soap. They have action shows planned for the fall so I think they're trying to establish some kind of cycle like HBO does or AMC. Hey it's summer, time for Breaking Bad, it's a new year, time for Mad Men, etc. I think it's actually a good model to follow. 

Finally, I also find that the dropping of expletive every three sentences, and done virtually by everybody, is a bit excessive and unrealistic.

ymmv on swearing, but I don't find it unrealistic. It's on par with other shows imo and I swear a lot anyway.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Nov 23, 2013 @ 8:15 PM

And I really don't need to see a season 3 of more rehashed Ike vs Ben Diamond power-plays. What's the point?

I guess Starz agreed (heh).

I finally watched the last 2 episodes. I was so hoping I'd get my wish for dead Ben Diamond. Alas, it was not to be.

Figures that Stevie would become interesting to me just when the show gets canceled. In between this show and his next gig, I hope someone gets Steven Strait some acting lessons. Cuz damn.

Of course they killed off Judi, one of the only characters I connected to. At least Vera lived. And I wholeheartedly supported her going to Stevie for comfort (based on the sledgehammer subtlety of the writing, I'm assuming that's what was going to happen). Ike was a dick to her about Meg. 

Still not sure how Ike (aka Miami Beach's walking health hazard) stayed alive.

Edited by yarnover, Nov 23, 2013 @ 8:15 PM.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 3:43 AM

Just binge-watched the show during my cable company's "Watchathon" promotion and I loved it.

I may be biased because I'm from the Magic City, and my grandparents and father were there during that era. I'm also into mid-century design and covet items from Mad Men and this show. The reproductions of the hotel were awesome and it was great seeing all the legit Miami settings. I agree it must have been expensive to produce.

I "liked Ike," LOL. The conflicted good/bad character has been done before, but it didn't bother me. I agree that his and Vera's loving marriage was a nice surprise. It would have been so cliché to have her be a gold-digging step-monster.

Ben's character was hammy, but intended to be that way, IMO. In that he was so self-important that he was the only one who didn't realize at some level how ridiculous*, albeit murderous, he was.

The finale was satisfying on many levels, wrapping up a lot of loose ends, but ultimately very sad in that by the end Ike has begun to alienate his wife and his two sons have left him altogether (with good reason). All alone, drawing his all-important hotel, in the sand.

*Others have mentioned how Ben trotted out the old "scorpion and frog" story. I think it was to demonstrate that Ben's "toadies" are used to listening to tiresome monologues by their insane boss and are forced to pretend they are interested.

Edited by missy jo, Apr 4, 2014 @ 3:47 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 11:43 AM

I don't know that Ike was that conflicted. I think he enjoyed being "half a gangster" but as Boardwalk Empire pointed out, you can't really do that. It's unfortunate that they couldn't get one more season. It was certainly an interesting era to depict on tv.

missy jo

missy jo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2014 @ 11:37 PM

ganesh, it sucks getting addicted to a show that you know is canceled!

I didn't see Ike as liking being a "gangster," but I saw him as willingly making a deal with the devil for his all-important hotel.

Ever since episode 1, the veil was lifted from his eyes and he wanted to get out. But despite everything - the mob, the effect on his wife, the love of his sons - all were more important than his precious hotel. The fact that he came from nothing to build it and that it was his whole identity, was Ike's Achilles' heel.

Edited by missy jo, Apr 4, 2014 @ 11:37 PM.