Magic City: Med Men Meets The Mob In Miami?!?!

• Please log in to reply

135 replies to this topic

Tony Gancarski

Tony Gancarski

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I like Steven Strait without a shirt on.

Otherwise: nothing special.

nymediamaven

nymediamaven

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

Magic City isn't a bad show by any means. It's building. One thing I've learned from Spartacus is to let Starz shows build - sometimes they get better as they go along, sometimes they don't.

Magic City isn't quite up to Spartacus' level of nudity, but it's getting there. Jessica Marais and Elena Satine are both beautiful to look at and do seem to appear naked a lot.

I'll give it a little more time. There's nothing else on on Fridays anyhow.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I think it's really good. I don't understand people who compare it to Mad Men though. These two shows barely have anything at all in common. If anything, Magic City reminds me more of The Sopranos - plenty of family issues, lots of criminal activity. Though comparing it to down-to-earth Sopranos seems kinda weird too. It's a slow-paced show, but unlike The Killing (or Luck) it isn't annoying - mostly because it's not pretending to be better than it actually is.

This show sure takes its time to get where it's going, but I wouldn't say that the trip is unpleasant - there is plenty to see on the way. The cast is great, the writing is good enough (except for the horrifying frog/scorpion tale in the premiere - that was fucking cheap), quite a few characters are a joy to watch and it's well-directed and great-looking.

It seems to be growing on me every week. The first two episodes had been the hardest to watch, it's been getting better for me ever since.

Edited by Prospero, May 5, 2012 @ 11:37 PM.

revelation

revelation

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I am really enjoying this show. The story and characters are interesting. The cast is great, the locations look beautiful. Surprised this show is not generating more buzz. I am keen to see how the first season ends and where it takes us next season.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:10 AM

I'm trying to figure out Ben Diamond's relationship with his wife. What the heck is going on with him spying on her through the window in the floor? Does she know he's doing it? What's their thing, do they actually sleep together?

Edited by Vinny Vidi Vici, May 10, 2012 @ 12:11 AM.

nymediamaven

nymediamaven

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:35 AM

One thing that's tough to watch on this show is the number of heaters the crew fires up during an episode. It seems like everyone is smoking everywhere, all the time. In last night's episode, after cig after cig, Ike sits out on the balcony after dinner to fire up a stogie.

Odd little moment too, near the end, when Stevie comes to warn his dad and sees his step-mother's hot ass in the mirror - does this guy not get enough risk screwing the mobster's wife? (by the way, nicest dressing room in a store I've every seen!)

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Well, the 50s were immaculately clean back then.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:43 AM

Surprised this show is not generating more buzz.

Me too. But it seems to be doing very good in terms of viewing audience.

This especially is impressive:

STARZ multiplex, extended DVR, on-demand, and online viewing is not included in the respective totals above. Multiplatform viewership for STARZ subscribers for the first three episodes are averaging more than 3 million viewers per episode to-date.

So basically CW is now being raped by Starz too.

Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

I almost didn't stick with it after the pilot, which I thought was pretty weak (and yes, I was another one who was horrified by the scorpion and frog story being told as if it was interesting and clever), but I did, primarily because I thought it was pretty and I find JDM and the actor who plays Stevie hot (I am nothing if not honest about my shallowness). Anyway, so glad I stuck with it, because I'm hooked now.

The writing is not the greatest, but the production values are great and it all looks absolutely beautiful, including most of the cast. Glad to see the audience is building.

I'm trying to figure out Ben Diamond's relationship with his wife. What the heck is going on with him spying on her through the window in the floor? Does she know he's doing it? What's their thing, do they actually sleep together?

I'm quite sure she knows he's watching her, and I'm assuming that's what turns him on - he's a voyeur. I think the show is implying they don't actually have sex; he just watches.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I got into this show about mid-season. I watched the pilot last night. When Ike asked Danny where his "idiot" brother was, he wasn't kidding.

I want to know what Ben did to get Lily to marry him. Was it purely gold digging? She hooked up with Stevie right after the honeymoon.

Merrythought

Merrythought

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

The finale: terrible. Just ridiculous.
Spoiler
Instead of looking forward to season 2, I may skip it and take a pass. This series had so much promise and it really deteriorated into salacious and gratuitous cliche with a very weak and predictable plot.

Edited by Merrythought, Jun 1, 2012 @ 10:12 PM.

nymediamaven

nymediamaven

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

Has it been greenlighted for another season? There certainly were enough storylines left dangling in mid-air last night to be resolved next year.

Ben is really weird. I kinda figured that those pictures would make their way to him somehow, but I sure didn't expect that he'd use them so kinkily to watch another man screw his ever-so-hot wife.

Merrythought

Merrythought

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

Yes, Magic City will have a season 2.

The story lines are just really weird. Of course the photos would find their way to Ben. That was the whole reason the writers developed that story into the plot. They would never drop the ball on his juicy reaction to discovering that affair.

And Ike, a major Miami hotel owner, being charged with a murder that we actually saw him commit? That can only go one of two ways. Either he gets away with it or he goes to jail. Either way, I find it boring.

The series had great promise, but not much happens and it is all so predictable. The writers need to introduce more characters with layered story lines and sub plots. The Sopranos did that so well.

Chancellor

Chancellor

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

The show could use a little bit of camp I think. While Ike is in jail the show should introduce his problematic twin brother Ivan, who's a mob enforcer in Las Vegas. Ivan learns that Ike has been jailed so he comes to Miami to weasle in on Ike's empire and his wife Vera. The show just really needs to get more creative because it all seems too simple right now.

Edited by Chancellor, Jun 2, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

RL1

RL1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:32 AM

You think this show would last four more seasons? It'll probably get cancel after the second season...

Edited by RL1, Jun 3, 2012 @ 6:33 AM.

brothertonbanks

brothertonbanks

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I watched another episode using a media player with variable speed. Most of the actors are deliberately speaking slower than normal most of the time. You can play this at 120% speed and not notice that you've sped it up most of the time. A couple of the actors speak at a normal speed, and a couple of scenes are at normal speed. The rest of the episode was almost in slow motion. Even the music has been slowed down, although less than the dialogue.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

I watched the first season this past weekend Ondemand and I loved it. I think it's the crime drama and cable heir toThe Wire that I was hoping Boss would be. The comparisons to Mad Men are unfortunate because the two shows are widely different other than being set in the same era and both show have women being treated like playthings by the men of that period.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

deleted since the link is now dead.

Edited by yarnover, Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:50 AM.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

James Caan learns to say ‘Wilmette’ to play Chicago mobster on ‘Magic City’

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 11:48 AM

Giving this show another chance, so watching all of season 1 (I'd only seen the first 3 eps, but didn't bother to continue). 

Watching from the beginning, I realize that I hate Ike, though the only thing I hate more than Ike is his whining about Ben Diamond. Did he or did he not choose to get in bed with Ben? Then he needs to take the bad with the insane when it comes to Ben and stop bellyaching about it. And don't even get me started on his fake concern about the union lawyer (Mike) that Ben disposed of. The level of his hypocrisy is gross.

I hope that the arrival of Sy in season 2 means that Ben Diamond will be dying a quick, unceremonious death. This character is not a love-to-hate villain. It's just hate. As in, I want him and his hammy portrayer, Danny Huston, off my screen stat. I've seen DH in other stuff, so I know he's capable for good performances. But here, the combination of sledgehammer-subtle writing and his screeching performance makes the character beyond grating.

The two characters I do like are Ike's dad (Arthur) and his wife Vera. They're the only ones I connected with.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:40 PM

It's been a while since I watched the first season but from what I recall Ike didn't know Ben was as crazy as he is when the two of them became partners.  Also I believe Ike really wanted to run a legit hotel while Ben had no problem with associating with criminals and all the shadiness that went along with it.

But I need to rewatch this series again OnDemand, I know I loved it when I watched but I can barely remember anything know. 

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jun 23, 2013 @ 12:41 PM.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 2:53 PM

Ike's Dad warned him about having Ben as a partner, but IIRC, Ike's response was basically, "La la la. I can't hear you." This is why I lack patience with Ike's complaints about Ben. What exactly did he expect from having a mobster as his partner?

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 3:15 PM

The only thing that bothered me about this episode was they seemed to be heading somewhere towards an Ike/Ike's dead wife's sister toss up.  I'm not sure if it's going to be an outright affair or if she's going to mess with the marriage in some way.  I was hoping TV land could leave one marriage alone, but it doesn't look that way right now.  

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

I'm not in season 2 yet, but I'm fine with being spoiled for it-lol.

So, they're finally going down the Ike/Meg Bannock road, eh? I'm surprised they took this long to go there. 

That's another thing that bugs about this show: it moves so damn slowly.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:28 AM

Watching from the beginning, I realize that I hate Ike, though the only thing I hate more than Ike is his whining about Ben Diamond. Did he or did he not choose to get in bed with Ben? Then he needs to take the bad with the insane when it comes to Ben and stop bellyaching about it. And don't even get me started on his fake concern about the union lawyer (Mike) that Ben disposed of. The level of his hypocrisy is gross.

I guess Ike is one of those flawed anti-heroes, or perhaps he's just one of those flawed  antis.

I find it hard to believe that Ike thought Ben would just rough Mike up a bit.

I also didn't understand, given how long the strike had apparently been going on and how the strike and the hurricanes had affected the business, why Ben didn't step in earlier.

There are a number of other things that don't make sense.  For now, I'll just limit it to Vera dancing at the hotel.  I don't care how desperate the hotel is for business.  Having the hotel owner's wife dance as a showgirl doesn't fit with Ike's vision of the hotel.

Since Moe Greene & Sonny Corleone have already shown-up, I hope there will be an actor who plays a young Frank Lopez, and who talks to Ike about car dealerships.

Edited by Constantinople, Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:38 AM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 10:16 AM

It's been a while since I watched the first season but from what I recall Ike didn't know Ben was as crazy as he is when the two of them became partners.

I mean, the guy is known as the Butcher. What did he think was going to happen? It reminds me of the scene in Goodfellas where the restaurant guy needs Paulie to invest in the restaurant. Henry Hill's VO was bascially, "this was not a good idea."

I'm enjoying the show because for me it's like Ike thinks he's a bad ass and got in way over his head from S1E1. Now he thinks he's going to schmooze Castro. Vaya con dios, Ike!

I like the look and the style of the show too.

From E2. I couldn't believe the hooker that ruined the grand jury testimony had the audacity to come back hooking at the hotel like nothing happened. I also had a good laugh when Ben Diamond introduced his wife to Ike's son with a big smile like, "hey, you know my wife right? I watched you fuck her last Friday!"

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

I find it hard to believe that Ike thought Ben would just rough Mike up a bit

I mean, the guy is known as the Butcher. What did he think was going to happen?

Ike should've known what was going to happen and IMO deep down he did know. That said denial is a very strong thing.  Heck, Ike even warned/threatened Mike that he would do whatever he had to do to prevent the strike and keep the hotel in business and Mike just told him something like "Do what your conscious tells you to do" so they were both in major denial about what was going to happen.

yarnover

yarnover

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2013 @ 7:57 PM

Almost through with season 1. Stevie has officially moved into my hate column. Danny tells him about the blackmail and he's all righteously indignant! 

He is too damn stupid to live. I can't believe he and Lily make it to season 2!

Vinny Vidi Vici

Vinny Vidi Vici

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:15 PM

I can't believe he and Lily make it to season 2!

Not only that, I can't believe they went out in public on a date.  And Bel the bookie, who works for Ben, was right there.  I don't quite get how much of an open secret the relationship is supposed to be.

I did kind of love it the way the singer just kept belting on all during the fight as if nothing was happening, until the gun went off.

Edited by Vinny Vidi Vici, Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:16 PM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

I did kind of love it the way the singer just kept belting on all during the fight as if nothing was happening, until the gun went off.

I think that's always been kind of an unwritten rule in clubs. If a fight breaks out, the band plays on to keep customers from being too distracted and wanting to leave.

This show is slow and predictable but kind of charming in places. I watched the 1st season OnDemand a week before season 2 began.