Nolan/Jack: Gilligan and his Skipper at the Hamptons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

24 replies to this topic

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Okay, so maybe this is about time to create a Nolan/Jack thread, but I can't for the life of me think of a great thread title. I settled on the Gilligan reference, but someone else can come up with a better one?

One--and likely the only--spot of humour I found in the last episode was when Nolan was at the bar and urging Jack (yet again) to leave town right the fuck now, Jack did this little cute headpalm and said, "Does this mean you don't want a drink?" Nolan relented (as per usual) and ordered double, saying how they're now in for a long haul. There was this humour between them in the scene, and I loved the twinkle in Jack's eye (because you rarely get to see it anymore) at this moment. I'm not outright shipping the two, mostly enjoying the (comparably) uncomplicated friendship they share, but with Nolan being so protective of Jack all the time and Jack relying more and more on Nolan, maybe I should. Jack brings out complete selflessness from Nolan (totally unexpected and unprecedented in Nolan's case, which makes me love him even more), Jack gets to be funny and relaxed a lot more around Nolan, and together they provide the best bromance moments and so why not? And at this point, I feel like Jack would--or should--forgive Nolan in the end for all the deceptions because Nolan has always put Jack first (for whatever reasons we can speculate on) and has Jack's best interest at heart whereas with Emanda the same can't be said.

And my heart broke a little for Nolan when Jack found him at the poolside and told him that he was at the beach that night, looking for Amily. Nolan's head fell completely, knowing what all this meant for Jack. He really does care. Honestly, it's all very aww.

jadesfire

jadesfire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

Great thread name!

I don't exactly ship it, but I definitely see something there from Nolan's side. He is so overprotective of Jack is is kind of adorably hilarious.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

It's weird; Nolan has some type of crush(?) on Jack, yet he "ships" him with Emanda.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

Thanks for the topic. They are my favorite couple of the series. I don't know why. But I love their scenes together. I really feel in the dark about Nolan's motivations where Jack is concerned. I know I joked about it but I don't think it's a love thing at all. I've enjoyed seeing Jack go from annoyed to actually seeing Nolan as a friend. And even though they are quite different, it was kinda funny to hear Jack refer to Nolan as one of his few friends. I don't normally need or want things spelled out for me but on this one I'd like to be told a little more because on Nolan's side it's been there since the beginning.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I am so glad someone set this thread up. Nolan and Jack have an interesting dynamic and though it did seem like Jack was tolerating Nolan at first, I do think he somewhat trusts him now.

BBDi

BBDi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 9:42 AM

They are one of my favorite pairings, too. I don't think of it as a sexual or potentially sexual thing (though I guess it could be), just more of a case of simple chemistry where two characters (and actors) mesh together so nicely. I like the fact that we still don't know precisely why at the beginning of the series Jack--and others, apparently--disliked Nolan. And we don't know exactly why Nolan gravitates toward Jack--whether it's just liking Jack's basic decency and lack of an agenda, or if it's because Nolan cares about Emanda, or because David had fond memories of Jack and spoke about them to Nolan.

The why's don't really matter so much, what's important is that we see Nolan's kindest, most caring side with Jack, and Jack gets a twinkle in his eye when he's with Nolan.

Peekay

Peekay

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Whee! I'm glad the topic (and the 'ship) is loved.

They are one of my favorite pairings, too. I don't think of it as a sexual or potentially sexual thing (though I guess it could be), just more of a case of simple chemistry where two characters (and actors) mesh together so nicely.

I agree! Nolan's affection/protectiveness toward Jack is written in the scripts, but the humour and the chemistry in their relationship seem to come from mostly how the actors decide to portray the relationship and characters. Nick Welchser especially did a wonderful job in the beginning with showing reluctant amusement toward Nolan, when the early scripts mostly dictated Jack to be annoyed with Nolan like every other character was.

I think it's interesting Nolan has more sexual tension with people he's antagonistic toward (Tyler, Ashley) than the people he clearly cares about (Jack, Emanda). I know a lot of people ship Nolan with Emanda, but I've mostly seen non-sexual chemistry between them, and Nolan's had plenty of UST, or RST, with Tyler or Ashley--even though it's more than obvious that he will throw Tyler or Ashley under the bus to help Emanda and Jack in a heartbeat. That adds to another interesting factor that Nolan tends to "ship" Emanda with Jack. He wants the people he cares about to be happy together and he's never made any kind of obvious sexual overture to either of them specifically, even though you'd think he would've made some sort of move by now. So either Nolan assumes he'd be rejected by them, or he actually does think Emanda and Jack would be better off with each other. Maybe he doesn't think he's good enough for them? Whichever it is, it is definitely intriguing.

And the fact that Nolan doesn't seem outright interested in Jack that way makes me love this relationship even more, because their friendship doesn't seem to come with much of hidden motivations (any more) on either part. In this show there isn't any relationship that seems uncomplicated--or, let's say uncalculated, and loyalty is divided in practically every relationship (and I'm not counting Jack & Declan and Daniel & Charlotte). Even with Nolan and Emanda, the show's main alliance couple, their relationship is strained with different underlying motivations running amok between the two characters and Emanda's own defence mechanism. With Nolan and Jack, though, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly calculated. In the beginning, maybe Nolan was attempting to get close to Jack only as a leverage against Emanda, but that's clearly gone out the window, as Nolan has almost gone to throwdown with Emanda over Jack's well being. And Jack--the poor boy never seems to approach any relationship with calculation of any kind, and Nolan's no exception.

And yes, Jack approached Nolan's "let's be friends, dude!" advance with obvious wariness (for a good reason, too) at first, but he does eventually responds to Nolan's genuine kindness with genuine appreciation. I really like that. Jack's warmth toward Nolan now has been properly earned, not through any manipulation on Nolan's part but through genuine interest and caring. The fact that Nolan does care actually came through to Jack. That doesn't happen often (or at all) in this show.

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

I really enjoy these two. I love how originally, Jack was reluctant to become friends with Nolan but at the same time, still treated him with more decently than anyone else. As for Nolan's motivation, I think his original reason for pursuing Jack was curiousity given the Emanda/Jack dynamic. But now I feel that he has grown fond of Jack in his own right, in the same way all the damaged people such as Amily and Emanda are. Jack is warm and without malice which makes him completely different from the rest of the people there. It is nice to have a couple who generally care for each other without any agenda.

It's weird; Nolan has some type of crush(?) on Jack, yet he "ships" him with Emanda.

I think it is less of a crush but rather hero worship. Nolan is so desperate to fit in, and yet with all the money in the world, he still struggles to be accepted. Whereas Jack is completely unaffected by this - he is who is. I think Nolan ships Emanda/Jack because he hopes that Emanda will remember the person she was when she first met him

mac123x

mac123x

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

They are my favorite couple of the series. I don't know why.

For me, itís that neither of them seems to have an agenda for the other. Well, Nolan keeps trying to get Emanda with him, but thatís because heís a hopeless romantic. Thereís nothing underhanded in their relationship, and theyíre not using each other. It just makes their friendship seem more genuine, at least compared to the other relationships on this show. An admittedly low bar to jump over.

I don't think of it as a sexual or potentially sexual thing (though I guess it could be)

Thatís one of the appealing parts of it. I think it probably started out with Nolan being attracted to Jack, but once Nolan realized that wasnít a possibility, he shifted to friendship mode. He didnít become a stalker or go all emo pining away for Jack.

In the beginning, maybe Nolan was attempting to get close to Jack only as a leverage against Emanda

Nolanís first scene was attempting to buy Jackís boat. They already knew each other, and were in the ďNolan wants to be friends but Jack barely tolerates himĒ stage. This all happened before Nolan even knew Emanda was in town.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

Jack, how could you deny Nolan a hug? You guys are friends now. You said so in the past.

Me: I'll hug you, Nolan! *Hugs and kisses*

Edited by Bella, Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

Aw shucks. I felt bad too.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

For all the talk about Emanda treating Nolan poorly and is just using him, "Doubt" hit home for me that Jack doesn't do much better. In general, he just tolerates Nolan and is only decent towards him when he needs help/information. And as with Emanda, Nolan just takes it and convinces himself that these people are actually his "friends."

It made me cringe when Jack denied Nolan a drink until he told him what he wanted to hear, and then later wouldn't give him a hug as he said goodbye.

Jack doesn't HAVE to be friends with Nolan, but don't say and act like you are if you don't really care about the guy.

doram

doram

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:31 PM

I thought it was obviously friendly teasing. It's not unheard of between friends. Poor Jack can't ever catch a break. He's either Emanda's/Amanda's/Amily's creepy (and short!) stalker or he's just using Nolan. Just waiting for us to find out at the end of the series that 10 year old Jack was the real Big Bad who manipulated the Graysons into framing David Clark.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:27 AM

Just waiting for us to find out at the end of the series that 10 year old Jack was the real Big Bad who manipulated the Graysons into framing David Clark.

Yes, and Sammy was his accomplice! :)

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:38 AM

It's not always about NOLAN. Jack is the one going through something right now. Nolan is manipulating him as he does Amanda's bidding. Just because he won't jump to Nolan's suggestions doesn't mean they aren't friends. Nolan isn't there to be his friend at the moment (although we know that he does care about Jack). He's trying to convince Jack to do things that he doesn't want to do - and not in the name of friendship. So eh, Jack doesn't owe it to him to hold his hand while he brushes off his stupid suggestions.

The foundation has been set and I am convinced of the affection on both sides. I don't need Jack to slobber over Nolan each week to prove it.

Edited by angelita100, Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:40 AM.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Well, Nolan is looking out for Jack by trying to get him out of town and out of the Graysons's crosshairs. So even though he's manipulating him, it's for a good reason.

I thought it was obviously friendly teasing. It's not unheard of between friends. Poor Jack can't ever catch a break. He's either Emanda's/Amanda's/Amily's creepy (and short!) stalker or he's just using Nolan. Just waiting for us to find out at the end of the series that 10 year old Jack was the real Big Bad who manipulated the Graysons into framing David Clark.

Your post has me in stitches. I love Nolan but he's a big boy. A little friendly teasing isn't going to send him into a heartbroken spiral although that might be an interesting fan-fic plot. I love the Nolan/Jack friendship in the show. Despite all the lies and secrets, I think it's the best, the "purest" in the show. I'm rooting for Nolan to help Jack discover that he's not quite as high on the Kinsey scale as he thought. -:)

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

I thought the scene where Nolan tried to get a hug from Nolan was quite cute, and didn't really see it as him shafting Nolan. At the beginning, Jack may have only been tolerating Nolan, but it is obvious that now it is just affectionate teasing on his part.

It is true that Jack hasn't been his usual supportive self because he has been so wrapped up with finding Faux-Amanda, but he's started to acknowlegde that and make amends.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

Nolan hugged Jack and Jack didn't pull away or make any negative comments. Yay!

I wish Jack had reciprocated the hug though. The hug did happen pretty quickly though and Nolan was trying to get out of there to get to Aunt Carol. But, at least Jack mutually hugged Nolan back when Jack was originally leaving for Haiti. As, Nolan would say, "Baby steps."

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:47 AM

It was a nice hug.

teachmusik

teachmusik

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Well that's why Jack was initially cool towards Nolan. Jack thinks Nolan tried to steal his girl and bought his family's house out from under them. Poor Nolan.

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

It makes sense why Jack was initially cool towards Nolan. He probably just assumed Nolan was the type of rich guy who thinks he can have whatever he wants without any consequences. While Jack may not know the full circumstances, he at least appreciates that there is more to Nolan now

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2012 @ 4:39 PM

I loved that big man-hug and the little moment where Nolan breathed in Jack's scent and Jack obviously got uncomfortable. If that wasn't a little wink to the people that ship them, I don't know what was.

katsullivan

katsullivan

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 4:41 AM

Oh, it was a wink and I winked right back. :D Jack/Nolan FTW! :)

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

I loved Nolan's seriousness when he and Emanda found Jack passed out on his raft with a bullet wound in Sacrifice - I loved when Emanda asked Nolan if she could trust him to take of Jack, and Nolan responded along the lines that he would do anything for Jack.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 8:11 AM

I loved Nolan's seriousness when he and Emanda found Jack passed out on his raft with a bullet wound in Sacrifice - I loved when Emanda asked Nolan if she could trust him to take of Jack, and Nolan responded along the lines that he would do anything for Jack.

Yes, but I really hated how when Jack briefly thought Nolan was the one who saved his life, he just berated him for keeping secrets -- without one measley thank you!