12-3: "How Much is That Celebrity in the Window" 2012.03.04

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

173 replies to this topic

abowl

abowl

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Speaking of editing... I really wonder if Debbie is as vain and clueless as the show makes her out to be. I could see at least SOME of the ridiculous things she's said as joking on her part REALLY badly failing (and the fact that she was trying to joke removed via editing). I mean what have we seen so far? That she's got an inflated sense of her importance and quality as a singer. That she thinks she's great looking and can pass for 15 years younger (when in fact she actually probably looks older than her age). That she likes the sound of her own voice a lot. I hope some of this has been misfired humor on her part... because if not... she scares me.

Some of her quips might be bad attempts at humor (like the "I photograph younger" comment to save herself from the embarrassing offer to model int the window); but sadly, I think a lot of it is seriousness on Debbie's part. For the singing, Lisa Lampanelli in post-show commentary has been saying that Debbi is super annoying because she sings constantly. And for the clips on the show where we saw her singing, it didn't sound very good to me. Debbie's makeup alone indicates some sort of delusion - the way she wears the dark eyeliner and shimmery eyeshadow (that a younger person would be likely to wear), it just ages her so much instead of making her look better like make-up is supposed to do.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Arsenio and Adam make me laugh out loud, so I really didn't want Arsenio to leave and I'm glad he argued hard and well in the boardroom.

He also put it pretty well when he praised George's dignity before his (imminent) firing, saying, "He's a wonderful, bright, dignified man."

I found the women's initial ideas (sketches, photos of outfits) cluttered-sounding and not much use for a window people should be able to appreciate from some distance. Their (Aubrey's) idea of portraying Ivanka as an aspiring designer who's then excited by "her first show!" seemed kind of ill-fitting, too. Ivanka's not some girl who dreamt of the New York fashion world from her humble hometown and then miraculously made it; she's the daughter of a famous NYC mogul (and a model?), and she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth.

I wondered if being portrayed by Dayana was flattering to Ivanka (or "Eye-vanka" as I believe one of the women called her at the start of their window presentation). Ivanka is good-looking, but not Dayana-good IMO.

I thought Clay was famously silent about his sexual orientation, so I was stunned when Arsenio referred to the team's gay "guys" in plural, and when Clay later said in the boardroom that he appreciated what George has done for the gay community. If he's now out, I guess I'm not up on my American Idol alumni news.

nice PANTS

nice PANTS

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

I thought Clay was famously silent about his sexual orientation, so I was stunned when Arsenio referred to the team's gay "guys" in plural, and when Clay later said in the boardroom that he appreciated what George has done for the gay community. If he's now out, I guess I'm not up on my American Idol alumni news.

He came out on the cover of People magazine just after his son was born in 2008.

commenter

commenter

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

He came out on the cover of People magazine just after his son was born in 2008.

I didn't even know he had a son. Thanks. (2008? Wow. That's so long ago! I'm certain I've seen more recent references to the uncertainty -- clearly from people as unaware as myself.)

ETA:

Regarding Michael Andretti, I get the sense that since he was just drafted late in the game to fill in for his son, Trump is giving him an easy early ride, with not much focus on him or drama involving him. If that's so, I figure he might leave before the end without a spectacular showdown.

Since Dee was having surgery for a fracture that happened on the show, I would think that a firing over his absence this week would be out of the question, so although Trump asked the other men about it, I don't think he would have let them bring Dee back into the boardroom, if they'd tried. (Arsenio did keep hinting at it, but I think he may have just been joking, knowing it wouldn't happen.)

Again ETA:

It looked more to me like [Clay] was intended to be just a co-worker, but there shouldn't have been any ambiguity. One of the models should have been done up to clearly be the boss, with the right props and an obvious distinction between her style of dress and the others

I thought the men might have mistakenly felt all their models had to be standing to model the clothes. It’s partly the fact that three women were standing in front of a man’s desk that made him look like the boss talking to underlings.

I was wondering if Ivanka didn't join the boardroom because she didn't agree that the women had won.

Ivanka this time was playing the role of a company executive whose product is being promoted by the teams. Do the company execs who pick the winning team also play one of Trump’s two generals in the boardroom in other episodes? It seemed right to me that she wasn’t there.

These two-hour episodes are soooo bloated. The show would have much better pacing in an hour format. Also, I think I speak for all of American when I say no one gives a flying fuck about Dee Snyder's finger. I'm in as long as Patricia remains. If and when she is sent home, I'm out.

I actually see all three things differently: I could take an even longer show, believe it or not; I do care about Dee’s injury, especially as it happened on the show; and I never heard of Patricia before, and I’m in it til the final firing/hiring!

while you're waiting in traffic for an hour

As often as Apprentice tasks are held up by traffic, I wonder if taking the subway is ruled out (perhaps because it’s harder to film there). Unless you’re carrying heavy stuff or dressed in eveningwear and heels, if you want to get somewhere in/near midtown Manhattan fast, especially during weekday business/rush hours, zipping along underground in the subway is quicker. Maybe the Trumps never heard of mass transit (as a viable option for non-homeless people). : )

Edited by commenter, Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:05 AM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

As has already been mentioned, he did come out on People magazine, with the headline "Yes, I'm gay." Resulting in one of my favorite responses, either from The Soup or Colbert (can't remember), a picture of a bear and the headline "Yes, I shit in the woods."

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

Audrey is a young pretty girl with garish hair and makeup which belies her competency, creativity, and solid work ethic.

Dayana is just a bimbo and is painful to watch but will ride the coattails of the first Latina supermodel.

Edited by anonymiss, Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:47 PM.

eraser

eraser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

As has already been mentioned, he did come out on People magazine, with the headline "Yes, I'm gay." Resulting in one of my favorite responses, either from The Soup or Colbert (can't remember), a picture of a bear and the headline "Yes, I shit in the woods."

I never could wrap my mind around this comment in regard to the extremely painful and personal journey of a gay man coming to terms with who he is and then courageously telling the world. What value is created by such a comment as that? I only ask because Colbert and the usual media morons were absolutely unoriginal and not in the least bit funny.

Audrey is a young pretty girl with garish hair and makeup which belies her competency, creativity, and solid work ethic.

She was a pretty young girl. Those days are far behind her.

Edited by eraser, Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:16 PM.

Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked

Couch Potato

• Interests:I love a good debate, especially when it is with somebody smarter than me.

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

I never could wrap my mind around this comment in regard to the extremely painful and personal journey of a gay man coming to terms with who he is and then courageously telling the world.

This reminds me of the effort going on around here of "It gets better."
Many people who are now successful are coming out and doing announcements about how hard it was growing up but explaining "it gets better". I hope its helping a lot of people.

novhappy

novhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

I never could wrap my mind around this comment in regard to the extremely painful and personal journey of a gay man coming to terms with who he is and then courageously telling the world. What value is created by such a comment as that? I only ask because Colbert and the usual media morons were absolutely unoriginal and not in the least bit funny.

Im not sure about the comment creating value but I think for some straight people -who don't see the world with biased eyes and generally don't care/think about the sexual orientation of a person -making a big announcement seems very dramatic. Not to diminish the process or realization for that person but to say, ok, great, move on..no one but you and your family cares.

Perhaps they will do a makeover challenge- D can get age appropriate make-up and Aubrey can get less make-up (even if she switched to D's make-up look it would be better!)

REwatched the ep where they revelaed the windows and ITA the girls windows were senseless...the fix was definitely in!

Edited by novhappy, Mar 8, 2012 @ 1:58 PM.

tv after work

tv after work

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

Im not sure about the comment creating value but I think for some straight people -who don't see the world with biased eyes and generally don't care/think about the sexual orientation of a person -making a big announcement seems very dramatic. Not to diminish the process or realization for that person but to say, ok, great, move on..no one but you and your family cares.

Unfortunately, for some celebrities the whole world seems to care. Clay was one of those celebrities. So was Ricky Martin. Sadly it SHOULD be about just them and their family but that's not always the case.

eraser

eraser

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

Both Ricky and Clay were hounded by the press and the public to the point of ridicule and harassment to "just come out already". After all that public abuse, when they do come out, they get ridicule and harassment by the public and the press going, "aaaaand the sky is blue. Why did they think we care?" They can't win if they do and can't win if they don't. It is just another form of bullying.

novhappy

novhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

Celebrity…now there is a lifestyle that they chose

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Topic, please. And the topic is the episode, in case you forgot.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

She was a pretty young girl. Those days are far behind her.

In the context of this pseudo-business competition she is seen as a younger, inexperienced ditz and keeps proving herself but doesn't get taken seriously by Trump because of how misogynistic he is and also because of this younger, trampier look.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Celebrity Apprentice competition windows at Lord & Taylor can be seen on Tuesday in New York City. The window displays are currently up at the Fifth Avenue store. Check out the Slideshow

Hah, replaced them with mannequins and you can hardly tell the difference.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

anonymiss:

Dayana is just a bimbo....

She speaks Spanish, English, and Italian, according to Wikipedia, so she's a smart one! ;-)

Ivanka has had multiple surgeries to become her beauteous self, but at least they worked well for her! And yes, Ivana was a model (and an Olympic skier).

Edited by LennieB, Mar 9, 2012 @ 7:36 PM.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Her English is not fluent. The other two are somewhat similar and probably picked up from childhood, non? She's not someone who has a trained skill set or natural talent in anything but smiling, posing and things like that, of which she was born with the tools for.

Edited by anonymiss, Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:03 PM.

CarnivalQueen

CarnivalQueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Also from Wikipedia regarding Dayana

Guantanamo Bay visit

On 27 March 2009, Mendoza documented a visit to Guantanamo Bay detention camp on her internet blog.[19] In it, she was quoted as saying "[Guantanamo] was such a relaxing place, so calm and beautiful". She also stated that when she visited the detainees camps, "...we saw the jails, where they shower, how the recreate themselves with movies, classes of art, books. It was very interesting".[20][21][22] This led to massive condemnation across the internet, through other blogs ridiculing her comments. In her home country, Venezuela, the issue became the talk of the town, with the president, Hugo Chávez, reconsidering the praise he had previously given her.[23] The Miss Universe Organization has replied that "...[her] comments on her blog were in reference to the hospitality she received while meeting the members of the U.S. military and their families who are stationed in Guantánamo". On 1 April 2009, the entry vanished from her blog.[24]

Doesn't sound to bright to me.

Also,

After Elite, she signed to Trump Model Management, and in Milan, Names Model Agency.

Trump has a modeling agency? It seems like having her on the show is a huge conflict of interest.

llcoolray3000

llcoolray3000

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Dayana is a bimbo because she's pretty? She's a bimbo because she gave an honest assessment of Gitmo? Hating someone for maximizing on their looks sounds like jealousy. Maybe condemn the world we live in for her being able to make a living off looking good, but don't condemn her for taking advantage of the situation. Her assessment of Gitmo may conflict with how your political views lead you to conceive of the place, but unless you've been there yourself who are you to say she's wrong or stupid for the observations she reported? The fact Hugo Chavez isn't a supporter of hers is a big plus in my book.

intuitive

intuitive

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Isn't Dayana a celebrity because she's gorgeous? That's good enough for me. I don't care about the politics of anyone else on the show so why would I care about hers.

Also, Patricia has said several times that she became famous because she's the first Latino supermodel. I had never heard of her before the show so maybe she isn't so famous after all. I should say, though, that I'm never on the lookout for the next supermodel.

MrSquick

MrSquick

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Silver lining to the whole 'Spring Ahead' daylight savings debacle? One hour closer to the next installment!

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I don't "hate" her. I consider her a bimbo based on her performance in this reality show competition. By contrast, Patricia's performance was solid and she's definitely demonstrated she's more than a former model.

Edited by anonymiss, Mar 10, 2012 @ 8:58 PM.

CarnivalQueen

CarnivalQueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I don't "hate" her. I consider her a bimbo based on her performance in this reality show competition. By contrast, Patricia's performance was solid and she's definitely demonstrated she's more than a former model.

I don't hate her either and while I think she is very attractive, I don't think she is drop dead gorgeous. What I don't like is that she comes across as a whiner and the fact that she is getting special treatment from Trump. She says "Oh I can do more, no one will give me the chance" She had the opportunity when she was PM and she was a fail as PM. If it wasn't for Aubrey (who I can't stand either) and the fact that they wanted the women to win, she would have been sent packing.

Her comments about Gitmo show how superficial and uninformed she is. The staement had nothing to do with political ideology.

Edited by CarnivalQueen, Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:25 PM.

LennieB

LennieB

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

Dayana is fluent in English; what she has is an accent. Her "skill-set" seems to be pretty similar to that of the late Princess of Wales.