11-14: "Semifinalist Boys Perform" 2012.02.28

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

128 replies to this topic

Phan

Phan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Reed – Pedobear. Enough with the creepy.

Adam – Decent but uninspired voice trapped inside a large white man.

Deandre – My parents made me choose this song.

Colton – Underpowered. That song needs a huge voice.

Jeremy – I couldn’t follow it; no groove or style.

Aaron – Solid, but not standing ovation worthy.

Jennifer yells “there was no nipple” at the camera, but fails to acknowledge that she sits next to the exposed boob that is Randy Jackson each week.

Chase – Best of the first seven, and I hate country. This was the turning point in the night.

Creighton – Best of the first eight and the best he’s sung. Good restraint, but pulls some wonky faces.

Phillip(2) – Best of the night, but needs to find consistency.

Eben – Worst vocal of the night. J. Lo needs to pan performances when the camera catches her wincing.

Heejun – Smooth tones and showed signs that he could grow exponentially. Has the raw goods. And he's kind of hilarious.

Joshua – Solid, but not standing ovation worthy. I like his tone.

Jermaine – Lame twist and wasted pimp spot. Not terrible, but certainly not standing ovation worthy.

My Top 5 – Phillip(2), Heejun, Creighton, Joshua, Chase

Probable Top 5 – Colton, Heejun, Phillip(2), Jermaine, Joshua. ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if Eben snuck in instead of either Colton or Joshua though.

Edited by Phan, Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.

Sara Maria

Sara Maria

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Pretty horrible all around. And the judges. Worthless.

I'd pick Joshua, Jermaine, Heejun, Phillip and....I don't really care enough about any of the other ones to pick.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Jennifer looked like she was going to throw up when Colton was standing on the piano.

Reed is channelling Taylor Hicks, and that makes me want to cry. Not J-Lo crocodile tears, but "I'm in pain, why is this happening" tears.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I so don't like Reed and turning Moves Like Jagger into a creepy smooth jazz version didn't help. All I see when I look at Adam is Gokey so I hope he doesn't make it.

Deandre is going to make it based on his adorable hair because that was a bad song choice even though I do love his falsetto. Phil2 also chose the wrong son which did not work with his voice but he is so safe.

I don't know why they let that little boy try to sing Adele. It was not good.

Who the hell taught Randy the word "indie"? He threw around twice tonight including saying Dave Matthews was indie. Seriously? Shut up Randy.

I don't think Jermaine can handle this competition. He had a breakdown just getting cut. When he gets voted out what will happen then? Plus bringing him back just wasn't fair at all.

rustyspigot

rustyspigot

Fanatic

• Interests:TV and Sarcasm. And I love the bitches.

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Silly Ryan. Steven always looks like he's melting.

Oh, man. I liked Creighton the best, never thought that would happen.

Eben was awful. Awful! Oh and that stupid SWAG shirt he was wearing, don't get me started.

Jermaine? What's the point?

I still don't like Heejun.

shannon201

shannon201

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

My favorite part of the whole two hours was in the first minute: Ryan doing his patented "This... is American Idol" line, with Heejun mouthing the words behind him. Heejun gets my vote just to keep the comedy coming.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

I liked tonight. Favorites: Deandre, Aaron, Joshua, Phillip and Creighton.

Eben – Worst vocal of the night. J. Lo needs to pan performances when the camera catches her wincing.

Agreed. Eben was terrible. So very flat.

Worst song choice: Eben "Set Fire to the Rain" and Colton Dixon "Decode." They were rough. And I love Dixon.

Elmer Fug

Elmer Fug

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

What a snorefest and the judges as usual served nothing but fluff. Nobody really took the bull by the horns. Some of the song selection was terrible especially for Eben singing Adele. He sounded so weak and there was barely no range. Too bad Simon wasn't around because he would shredded his ass apart. There was a mild criticism and that was it. I hope the girls bring their A game tomorrow and show the boys up

areca

areca

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

People who can't get off my TeeVee fast enough: Reed, Deandre, Colton, Joshua, Adam

People who can stay for a while: Chase, Creighton, Phillip, HeeJun

People who I don't want off my TeeVee, but I don't want to hear sing again: Jeremy, Eben, Jermaine

Who the HELL is Aaron? I can't for the life of me remember him. I guess that says it all really...

trojan69

trojan69

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

AI back to turrible sound being transmitted. Several boys, especially DeAndre, sounded like mess to me. Yet, live in the soundstage, it seemed all was good - except for Eben.

I hope Hee Jun and Germaine get through. I'll be surprised if Adam makes it through.

J Lo was NOT playing when Seacrest got all started on nipplegate. As much a success this ep was overall, I feel for Nigel right about now. I bet he is hearing it from spicy hot Puerto Rican from da hood.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

They cut to the judges when Eben was crapping all over the stage and I thought, Oh finally some well-deserved criticism tonight. Then they were like "It was great dawg! You had some flat notes in the middle but you turned it out in the end!" What, no, that's not what the looks on your faces were saying like 30 seconds ago.

CharlotteWebb

CharlotteWebb

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Liked: Deandre (well, when he just let that last falsetto note fly like it was no big deal, he got my attention anyway), Joshua "sing it to the back row" Ledet, and HeeJun "THIS is American Idol" Han.
Have Hopes For: Phil Squared, Chase, Aaron (who can sang, I just wish he wasn't so homogenized)
Losing Faith in: Eben, JerBear, Colton.
Undecided: Creighton, Jermaine
Want Off My Tv Stat: Reed
For Sure Going Home: Adam (sorry, dude)

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I didn't pay much attention to the audition rounds. So tonight was my first exposure to most of the guys. What was up with Reed? OH I laughed and laughed. Is he always like this? And I found it interesting he opened the show with a Voice song.

Phil Philips was the one I liked the best. But there were so many awful performances. They were either singing too high and off key or they were just boring. And yet the judges loved everyone. They might as well go sit in the audience as fans. They certainly are not acting like judges. What happened to JLo saying she was going to be harder on everyone this season?

Dejana

Dejana

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

At least the music was mostly current? That didn't always work out (Eben) but I was glad there weren't too many oldies.

The judges are indeed worthless. Everyone was amazing and beautiful. Blah. I guess you can't have everything in a singing show.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

The kid Eben beat out last week (Mr. "Steal Yo Girl") must be somewhere either laughing his ass off or angry as a wet cat. The judges were much too kind to him. He was flat out embarrassing. He sang the same note throughout the entire song. LOL!! That said, I hope Eben "Bieber-Lite" gets put through cause I want this season to go down in VFTW history.

I agree that JLo's critiques need to match her painful facial expressions, but the judges are stuck with the many bad choices they made leading up to this week. There's not much they can do at this point other than to grin and bear it.

Edited by getawayjordan, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:02 PM.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Jennifer yells “there was no nipple” at the camera, but fails to acknowledge that she sits next to the exposed boob that is Randy Jackson each week.

Ain't that the truth!

Please get Chase off my TV screen. I love me some country but he was B O R I N G.

I opened my eyes at the end of Deandre's set and was surprised he wasn't wearing a Dolly Parton wig and five inch heels. I like a good falsetto but his voice was weak and his pitch made my dog howl.

Didn't think Colton did such a hot job either - screechy and nothing special. Yeah, so you climbed on the piano. Yawn.

I hope Heejune sticks around for comedy relief. He doesn't have the best voice though.

I'm glad they brought back Jermaine. Damn, that was a pretty rendition of that song. His pitch is stellar.

Eben, Eben, Eben. Not a good song for you, honey. He needed a sugary pop tune.

Reed was amusing.

Creighton is a little like eating vinegar potato chips. I wince when I first bite into them but then I realize I like them.

Phillip is a little too precious.

Adam? Did you need to repeat "there's a big black woman inside of me?" It wasn't funny or true the first time and it's not now.

Edited by MandoMaid, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:02 PM.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Adam? Did you need to repeat "there's a big black woman inside of me?" It wasn't funny or true the first time and it's not now.

Adam bugs me too, but to be absolutely fair, that was the old footage that Idol inserted into his package. He didn't say it again. (He never should have said it the first time though.)

rollerblade

rollerblade

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I didn't watch auditions and barely during the Hollywood rounds. I figured this time I wouldn't buy into their pre-season drama package and biased airplay. The only names I know are Heejun and Phillip2.

Man-tasia was my favorite... hope he doesn't go the way of that over-the-top guy of last year (Jacob something?).

Leroy Bell lookalike was the only other person that was on the plus side of good. It could have been his slightly up-tempo song choice in the sea of lullabies tonight. They are worse than ballads.

Gravity guy has an in-tune rate of 2%, not to mention terrible terrible breath control. Not sure why the judges are melting over him. Though I loved that Ryan kept going back to the melting pose hah!

MV007

MV007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

I thought this was a weak night overall. Eben was a train wreck but I fear he might stick around.

Colton was my biggest disappointment. He wasn't bad but he wasn't good either. The song was just too big for him. I hope he stays cause I've loved most of his stuff.

My biggest complaint is with the judges. Would it really have been too hard to tell eben that he shouldn't sing songs that big? They could have criticized him nicely. Instead they keep talking him how great he is.

Edited by MV007, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:08 PM.

MandoMaid

MandoMaid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Adam bugs me too, but to be absolutely fair, that was the old footage that Idol inserted into his package. He didn't say it again. (He never should have said it the first time though.)

Thanks, Spy Idol, I didn't realize that and yeah, I agree, he never should have said it the first time. It's offensive and really, Adam, you should only hope you have a fraction of someone like Aretha's voice.

seminoles1

seminoles1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

I didn't like a single one. Eben was freaking terrible and I question how he ever made it past the audition after an atrocious performance like that.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Adam does say in the current material that it's time for 'white chocolate'. But at least with that big black woman in him, we have a top 24 singer who's a black woman!

I'm sorry, he pings my gaydar like Big Ben tolling. The voice, the mannerisms, the eye rolls...Not that there's anything wrong with that, but since his 'story' is devoted family man, it's a bit disconcerting.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Did anyone else hear what sounded like farting during Joshua's performance? It must have been some poorly-mic'd percussion or something, but it was kind of funny.
Wow, this is one underwhelming group of guys. For me, for you (Randy doesn't say that anymore, does he?) Joshua was best, but honestly, the only ones I absolutely can't bear to see again are Adam and Eben. Jeremy, Chase, Aaron and Creighton were invisible. I think Deandre could be good if he'd just sing something straight, but he clearly loves his falsetto and probably thinks it's distinctive. Jermaine will bore me for a couple of weeks, I'm afraid; he has a nice voice, but it puts me to sleep. Heejun has potential, but he seems to love sappy inspirational songs.
Reed, P2, and Colton at least are all willing to try something different (by AI standards).

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I'd be hard-pressed to pick 5 guys to put through no less 13 they picked...but I did enjoy Joshua and Jermaine. If folks are really basing their votes on just what they heard tonight, and not who they liked in the prior rounds...there would be just two or three guys left standing.

Edited by sinycalone, Feb 29, 2012 @ 8:04 AM.

themadman

themadman

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Wow, Simon would have had a field day with all these bad performances. But these judges just suck. Somebody needed to tell most of those people how bad they were.

tomorrowgirl

tomorrowgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

I gave a few votes to Phillip Phillips, since he was the only one who really interested me. He wasn't great by any means, but I liked his performance.

Are the judges ever going to learn what constructive criticism is, and how it would actually be helpful to the contestants?

madleinx

madleinx

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I didn't know most of the songs, which apparently helps. I actually liked Reed's jazz - he can creep to me anytime. Agree with most everyone else though, Philip(2) was the best for me (for you). I was imitating Simon for at least half the show.... "dreadful. just dreadful, Colton"...."very..cabaret, very cruise-shippy...sorry I don't remember your name"...."Eben, apparently we should have left the age limit at 16."

NoteForMyself

NoteForMyself

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

I think based on tonight's performances, there is only one person that is a lock for the Top 5 guys' spot - Phillip Phillips.

He's getting very strong buzz on the internet. He tried to do something different. He also tried to establish who he is as an artist.

I did enjoy Reed. I thought he was entertaining

I agree, Eben was a complete trainwreck and Denadre wasn't much better.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

My thoughts on who will make it through:

VOTES
Phillip2: A lock
Josh Ledet: Went last, basically, and did well enough
Jermaine: Same... buzz will carry him through
Heejun: Perhaps the personality vote
Colton: Enough early screentime + built-in fanbase + tween appeal

WILDCARD
I'm assuming they only pick one guy and two girls because the guys are abysmal. I think they will end up with DeAndre since he is "unique" and might be able to nail his Wildcard performance.

If not him, then I'd guess Reed or Adam.

Shira

Shira

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I thought Joshua was great and deserved the Pimp Spot--well, almost the Pimp Spot, due to the Big Surprise, which was no real surprise to me. There was just no way they'd bring back Johnny, who didn't even come close in the auditions (thank God, I couldn't handle that overblown ego), and Richie, whom nobody liked. David had a slight shot, maybe, but he's so young, he can come back to compete for the next decade--literally.

I lust after P2, but that was really disappointing. Still, he looked scorching hot in the black shirt, so I'll just try to forget about the sub-par performance and fantasize about a trip with him to Bora Bora where we never leave the bungalow. His dad is such an adorable cheerleader for his son--he's my favorite parent since Elliot Yamin's mom (RIP).

Eben..wow. Nasal, flat, excruciating to watch. Poor kid. I think 15 is too young for this show.

I didn't know most of the songs, which apparently helps.

Me neither, and I agree, it helped. I thought Colton's song was decent since I've never heard the original. I take points off from him for the hunting, though--always a huge turn-off for me. I also thought Jeremy was quite good, and he is a sweetie.

Reed can't leave soon enough for me. Please, just go away, and take your drum kit with you.