Martina Navratilova: Grand Slam Samba

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

35 replies to this topic

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Didn't see a thread for her yet, so I figured i'd make one.

I don't know how well she'll do but one this is for sure, we can guarantee to see Tony's old lady choreography back.

I'd love for her to surprise us all and be graceful, but i'm not sure yet. But she is a legend in the world of Tennis and sports in general, so good for DWTS to get a sports legend this season.

ETA: Martina posted [url="http://"%20<a%20href="https://twitter.com/#!/Martina/status/174537379254763521/photo/1""%20target="_blank">https://twitter.com/#!/Martina/status/1...1/photo/1"</a>"]this picture[/url] on her Twitter of her getting hair extensions.

Are they shooting the promo shots/title sequence today too?

Edited by PBGamer89, Feb 28, 2012 @ 6:02 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

I recall reading about Martina's battle with breast cancer almost 2 years ago. I'm glad to see that she's recovered and able to do something strenuous like dwts. Ironically it was Robin Roberts that did her interview about the cancer diagnosis. Now, 24 months later Robin is introducing her as a dwts celebrity.

I hope Martina does really well on dwts. I almost didn't recognize her. She used to have a lot of skin damage from the sun and early wrinkles. Outdoor tennis is very hard on the players skin. Whoever did her work did an incredible job. She looks younger now than when she played twenty-five years ago.

Edited by aceplace57, Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:54 PM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I have great respect for her. She never had many contracts or endorsements during her incredible career because she didn't hide who she was and I think that's shameful. I hope she does well. I hope there's some unexpected grace there. Please don't be boring, Tony! Please!!

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Not all of the female athletes to date have been stiff or ungraceful (though Hope was the worst example and maybe most surprising), so I'm hoping Martina can surprise us. Look at how beautifully Laila Ali moved, especially in Ballroom, and she was a boxer, arguably (ugh, sp??) a sport which would result in a more muscle bound body than most.

I hope Tony can give us some nice, interesting dances and Martina has the musicality and grace to stay for a little while because I admire what she's stood for in her career and life, and would like to see her go at least to around the middle, if not further. Grace, fluidity, etc, notwithstanding, she's looking good, so hopefully, like most athletes, she's kept herself in shape and can handle the basic physical demands of the show.

moni

moni

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

I just hope she's better then Monika Seles ;)

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I just hope she's better then Monika Seles ;)

That's a bar than I'm sure even she can rise above. Monica was awkward personified.

Martina seems willing and able. I hope she makes it past week 2. She and Tony are already getting the "boring" label that he and Chynna got last season and he and Wendy got the season before. Geez, the common denominator in all those is Tony....

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

Didn't know she came in second on the uk version of I'm a celebrity get me out of here.

Her final task... Ewwwww!
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=r1Ak94LRfG4

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

So far I really like Martina. She's one of three or four I'm predisposed to at this stage. I like that she's making it VERY clear up front that she's game for all the clothes and hair and stuff, just not false nails--she draws the line there. Never knew much about her, but I'm getting a seriously cool vibe from her.

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Martina's first dance is foxtrot. I'm worried about this. She doesn't Play to loose, but can she be feminine?

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

but can she be feminine?

Aaaaand we're back to this again.

A woman doesn't have to be feminine. Every woman is feminine ... in her own way. What defeated Hope, and had everyone telling her she wasn't "feminine" was that she wasn't a stereotyped, ballroom dancer version of feminine. That entails the ability to be graceful, fluid, musical, and use one's entire face and body to project the stereotyped "womanly graces" type of image which Ballroom requires.

Hope couldn't do it, apparently Monica Seles couldn't do it (don't have much recollection of her brief in & out) but Laila Ali was a wonderful example of a strong, well muscled female athlete who found her inner ballroom dancer and personified grace and fluidity.

I would respectfully suggest that the question shouldn't be "can she be feminine", but can she move in the style required for a female ballroom dancer. We won't know that till we see her first couple dances, but I don't think it should be assumed that her somewhat butch persona in real life precludes her acting the part. Acting - projecting an image - is part of successfully selling a dance, and some people can step outside their personality and do so, and some can't. I think she looks awesome though - saw the pic of her at the ping pong table and she looks like a fit 40 year old.

Go Martina.

Edited by dely, Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

Personally, I think she can do whatever she needs to. Won't know for sure till we see her in action, but she just keeps impressing me.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

I would respectfully suggest that the question shouldn't be "can she be feminine", but can she move in the style required for a female ballroom dancer.

A BIG part of this, IMO, is can she move in heels. Backwards. Comfortably.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I think for me, the question of her ability to dance feminine doesn't come from her sexuality, but from being an athlete.

It's been seen that unless the sport is somewhat artistic like gymnastics or ice skating, the women have a hard time moving like a female dancer. Misty, Hope, Monica all seemed awkward because their sport wasn't an artistic one. All their sport helped them with was discipline and endurance.

Martina seems sweet and willing, so I'm hoping Tony can really turn her into a dancer.

Sunnyheart

Sunnyheart

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I think Martina will be fine at being womanly, but I really hope she keeps them from troweling on the makeup/hair like they did to Hope. Some (actually most) females just look better without all that heavy eye shadow and Fancy Nancy curly hair. Martina has a wonderful feline quality to her and it would be great if Tony kept her sleek and sophisticated. She seems very comfortable in her own skin and they should accentuate that. I'm not hopeful though because the DWTS stylists and makeup people are not masters of subtlety.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

I agree, Sunnyheart. I hope the makeup team doesn't trowel on the makeup. They can be very heavy handed with it. Some people can really handle a lot of makeup, but most women look better with a lighter touch. It's very, very easy to go drag with that extreme makeup.

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

I'm looking forward to watching Martina. As someone else mentioned, Laila Ali was able to pull off dancing gracefully even though she's a well muscled woman. I think Martina can do it. I also don't think she's going to be as emotionally fragile as some of Tony's past partners (Chynna, Kate), so I think that's a plus for her!!!

Edited by Gladys4351, Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:33 AM.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Few articles about Martina on DWTS.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Martina has been tweeting about a ski trip with her sister. After a couple days they've finally invited Tony up to resume rehearsals. Tony must be going nuts at losing this rehearsal time. I guess Martina had this scheduled long before she agreed to do dwts.

Looking forward to it RT @Martina: Off to the slopes again, @TonyDovolani is flying to Aspen & we will practice this afternoon. Getting anxious about the 19th - yikes!

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g81a7l

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:52 PM.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

According to this interview, Martina lives in Aspen and had just had six days of rehearsal with Tony. Tony went back to New York for a day to get gear (I assume she means clothes and such), so she had a day off and went skiing (per her tweets, with her sister).

So it looks like it's all good....

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Thank you, Serendi, I really enjoyed listening to that interview with Martina. She is surely among the most physically fit of all the new cast and I hope to see her do very well with Tony. Of the women, she will be my favorite if she can dance.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

That was a very good interview. Training in Aspen should be a great location getting ready for dwts.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:30 AM

Wow, she is someone that I have so much respect for and have had for so many years. She defected from communist-run Czechoslovakia when she was just 18, and has never been afraid to say exactly who she is and what she stands for. I remember sometimes when I was a kid I would cheer for whoever was playing against her because it seemed so unfair to me (at the time) that she would always win. She was that dominate. I now, of course, realize that she deserved every win she got because of how much she put into it.

I'm not sure what kind of voting base she'll have, but I hope she acquits herself well and does well on the show.

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

https://twitter.com/...

“@Martina: Finally nailed the routine from start to finish-yippeee!!! Best day dancing yet:)@TonyDovolani”

I don't know how I feel about this.

ladongas

ladongas

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Here's Martina, totally glammed up, and quite lovely:

http://www.shewired....ds-first-photos

Stefferdoos

Stefferdoos

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 4:24 PM

Here's Martina, totally glammed up, and quite lovely:

http://www.shewired....ds-first-photos

I love the smile, its coming from her eyes too. She looks like she's enjoying herself. I'll be rooting for her for certain and I think if she lets her personality show she can get votes easily.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

The insider goes Into Martina's rehearsal .
http://www.puredwts....hearsals-video/

They've been training in Aspen, Bahamas, and now LA.

JazzHop

JazzHop

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Martina leaving rehearsal studio.
Funny!

And one more interview

Edited by JazzHop, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:13 AM.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Chrissie Evert will be on DWTS to cheer Martina.

Edited by KarenM, Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

I'm thrilled that Chrissy Evert will be on DWTS to cheer on Martina! I'm hoping Chrissy does the show next season!!! I'm really looking forward to watching Martina and I hope she lasts until the end!!!

peaches222

peaches222

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

Martina is dancing 9th tonight. I have no idea what this might or might not mean but I'm worried about her first dance.