Maria Menounos: Greek Goddess of the Dance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

Oh, what a shock. Derek Hough gets another young, sexy, bendable beauty queen that can probably dance well and will stick around the show for awhile. My kingdom to see the Golden Boy stuck with a 70 year old!

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

Well, I can always hope that she ends up being more of a Josie Maran than a Brooke Burke.

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Grr, much as it galls me to be put in the position of rooting for anyone dancing with one of the Glimmer Triplets, I have to say that I really like Maria Menounos. I missed her when she left Access, but since I don't like the style of the one she's on now (Extra!?), I don't see her anymore. Anyway, of the two G.T. left, Derek ughs me much less than Mark, so I can live w/ it.

Why, oh why couldn't Maks have got her? She's fun, game for almost anything, has (I think) a bit, at least, of dance background, and would have made for a happy, happy, joy, joy, drama free season which might have finally led to a mirror ball trophy for Maks.

Oh well, I'm going to grit my teeth at all the Derek crap, hope he gives her decent choreo - cause I think she's going to be able to handle a lot - instead of the usual, 'look at me, I'm a flashy Hough dancing circles around my partner' silliness, and really enjoy watching her. As long as editing doesn't go nuts bombarding us with her laugh!!

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I was hoping against hope for this not to happen. But silly me, of course he gets a young, fit, hot one. They'll easily make Top 6. I'm positive. I cannot imagine her being stiff. She's ambitious, I'm certain of it.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Why, oh why couldn't Maks have got her? She's fun, game for almost anything, has (I think) a bit, at least, of dance background, and would have made for a happy, happy, joy, joy, drama free season which might have finally led to a mirror ball trophy for Maks.

And there you have your answer. Maks simply cannot have a realistic chance of winning it all. That special treatment is reserved for a Hough.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

Because that would have been too EASY, see?

dely I'll co sign with you. I wasn't a fan of hers when she was Entertainment Tonight, but adored her on Access Hollywood when her goofiness shone through. Can't stand Extra due to my despise of Mario Lopez, but I still follow her on Twitter. She's in great physical shape, gung ho for anything and...I need to support my fellow NKOTB fan. (don't judge).

Ugh I have to root for Derek though. Damn.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I couldn't imagine being Derek's partner each season thinking "Am I gonna be the one who gives him his earliest exit or his lowest score?".

The lowest score Derek has ever gotten has been a 20. (Joanna's Jive/Ricki's Viennese Waltz/Jennifer's first Paso). Consequently, he's only recieved a 6 on 4 dances. The three above and Nicole's Quickstep. I'd hate to have the pressure of being the partner to ruin that in his 9 seasons.

However, I think Maria will be ready and willing. Most of my friends i've talked to today know who she is and say they like her, so she could endear herself if she can prove to be able to laugh at herself and have fun. I just hope she's not a headcase.

Edited by PBGamer89, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:34 PM.

dely

dely

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:38 PM

mtlchickie, I barely recall her time on ET, and mostly mix her up w/ Vanessa Manillo from then, but I've been going off of ET for a couple years now, after being a decades long watcher. If "entertainment news" can be said to have a credibility factor, I feel ET's been losing its & getting more tabloid-ey, while Access has been getting better. I also find Extra! to be too tabloid-ey (I'll bet they showed the full Whitney in casket photo, whereas ET showed the photo but blurred her face, and Access stated that they refused to show it), which is why I never see her anymore. Now & then when I'm channel hopping and come across Extra! I stop for a minute if it's Maria onscreen, but I can't stand Lopez either.

Maria, after being barely noticeable on ET, was such a fresh, fun addition to Access. I enjoyed her "Maria's Madcap Adventures", which is what I'm going from when I've commented that I think she has some dance background. She did a number in a production of "Chicago" as one of the segments, and of course, performed w/ the above mentioned NKOTB ;-). Also the "Adventures" are the reason I commented that she seems game, and up for almost anything. I still think she would have been so great w/ Maks, but I'm excited to watch her anyway, even if I have to do so w/ Derek!!

Edited by dely, Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:42 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Maria was just on JKL and she was very charming. Didn't come off entitled or snobby in the slightest. She definitely sounds like she wants to try something new and have fun.

She mentioned that Derek and her were rehearsing the Cha Cha today.

Restar21

Restar21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

Well, Maria seems excited to have Derek as her partner. She brought his name up a lot during her Kimmel interview and sounds crazy about him. I agree that she was very charming and likeable during the interview. Loved the funny stories about how excited her parents are that she's doing the show.

Cute video of the interview and that nervous laugh of hers is crazy!!
http://www.digitalsp...dance-sexy.html

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Maria's story about leg braces reminded me of another dwts celebrity. Cameron Mathison had Perthes disease and wore a brace as a child for several years. Cameron did petty good on dwts but I recall some of his movements were restricted.

I hope Maria isn't limited in what she can do on dwts. I'd like to see her do well.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:47 PM.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 8:30 PM

Restar21, thanks for the video clips.

Don't know the girl Maria, but her gorgeousness +goofiness = win-win personality. Reminds me of Sandra Bullock.

Also, hope to see her parents and their reactions on the shows.

Gladys4351

Gladys4351

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

I'm happy to see Derek with a partner who physically should be able to keep up with him. I have no idea if Maria's childhood leg braces will have any impact on how well she does, but I see her as someone who is positive and flexible. I also don't have to hear about her weight loss each week, so that is another plus!!! I think she has lots of charisma and spunk.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

Maria will vlog during dwts.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:32 AM

Maria talked dwts rehearsals with Adam Carolla. She starts about half-way into the podcast. Adam's partner was Julianne and he & Maria share rehearsal stories about the Houghs.
http://www.adamcarol...maria-menounos/

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:53 AM.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Thanks aceplace57.
Pretty good interview with Adam. A bunch of behind-the-scenes stories I found interesting about Derek, Julianne, and the workings of the show.

Sounds like Adam won't be doing any more comedy bits for DWTS - I wonder what TPTB did that "pissed him off"?

Restar21

Restar21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Thanks for posting the interview. Adam is hilarious talking about Derek. I think someone has a crush...

ETA: I do not understand why Maria has to be in the makeup chair at EXTRA at 6:45am and there until 3pm every day for a 30 minute entertainment news show. What in the world do they do for over 8 hours?? I guess she IS tired before rehearsal even begins. She won't be able to handle it as the season progresses and it gets even harder. Adam is right, it's a huge disadvantage compared to people who do nothing but practice.

Edited by Restar21, Mar 6, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

Restar21

Restar21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

New Maria interview. She's always talking about how good Derek smells, and she definitely has her pain management rituals down to a science.

http://www.celebuzz....arning-to-walk/

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

ETA: I do not understand why Maria has to be in the makeup chair at EXTRA at 6:45am and there until 3pm every day for a 30 minute entertainment news show. What in the world do they do for over 8 hours??

Makeup for TV takes a while (even more so due to HD) and they have to practice reading and saying their reports w/out flubbing along w/ interviews. I read recently that they have to be done by 130 PM PT in order to edit and broadcast it out to affiliates so by the time she gets out of wardrobe and removes her makeup, I can see how she can only start rehearsals at that time.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

More AfterBuzz:

Maria Menounos Drives Home After another Dancing with the Stars Rehearsal

Maria Menounos' Dancing with the Stars Rehab at Extra

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

That rehab video sure makes a person jealous!

Restar21

Restar21

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 7:44 PM

Recent Maria media roundup. She and Derek had a fun day at the Lakers/Celtics game yesterday. Lots of cute pics of them online. Here are a few.

http://www.celebuzz....rs-game-photos/

http://www.nbafrontp...-side-with.html

http://t.co/pj6sugJ0

https://twitter.com/#!/ebasketguate/sta...4/photo/1/large

Maria also did an interview with TV Guide. She doesn't like or understand why people are calling her the front runner. I don't understand it either. She doesn't have experience or a large fanbase. I think she'll have to work hard to stand out this season, but she has a wonderful work ethic and personality, so hopefully she can. And Derek's fans will help her a lot too.

http://www.tvguide.c...os-1044662.aspx

scootman

scootman

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

It was just announced that Maria would be doing a match at WWE Wrestlemania on March 31. She's done stuff with them before and learned some moves and looked good, but how is she finding the time to do this?

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I think she's one of the frontrunners.
1) She's partnered with Derek; he's popular with the fans and the judges (especially).
2) She's young, fit and good looking. It never hurts.
3) She's on TV all the time; she can promote herself and her partnership on a daily basis.
4) She's more well known than she's letting on. She's been kicking around for years.
5) She has the sort of the TV friendly personality that works well on these shows. She'll come across well. Not intimidating but friendly and self-deprecating.

moni

moni

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 4:01 AM

Rita Wilson will be in the audiance supporting Maria on Monday ;)) https://twitter.com/#!/RitaWilson

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

I wasn't blown away. First up is tough, but she really wasn't memorable. Maria's laugh is in head to head competition with Sherri's scream for the most annoying sound of the season.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Maria was meh. I don't get chemistry with Derek at all.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

I just hope that Derek doesn't eventually go postal over that laugh of hers. It's like listening to a Greek version of Fran Drescher.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:36 AM

I like sports! <cackle> I'm a boy with boobs because only boys like sports! <cackle>

That's most of what I remember about her. And she seemed to be in reporter/presenter mode throughout the interview. Maybe they should replace Brooke, after some of Brooke's behavior tonight.

scootman

scootman

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 2:17 AM

I liked her. She did well, not great, but certainly not bad. The first one out is always a tough spot. I've heard the laugh before in interviews, so it didn't bother me.