Katherine Jenkins: Welsh Wiggler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

241 replies to this topic

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:04 AM

DwtS S14 Week 7 Post-Performance Interview: Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas
On The Red Carpet

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

Katherine was one of the highlights of last night.

Her Team Tango was incredible. The outfits, the music, the solos, the formations. Just amazing. One of my favorite team dances i've ever seen on DWTS. I loved how Katherine's solo incorporated Argentine and ballroom Tango.

Her Rumba suffered from a bad music selection, but technique wise, it was amazing. My mom is a good barometer of what the casual viewer thinks because she doesn't throw around compliments easy and even she said after that Rumba: "Wow, she's amazing."

2nd place or not, I voted online, text, and phone. Hoping she's safe tonight!

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:25 AM

DwtS S14 Week 7 Post-Results Interview: Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas
On The Red Carpet

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

I feel like I saw a different side to Katherine this week, fleshing out her character a bit, which added positively to my overall impression of her.

I was struck with how professional - generously professional - she was during her and Mark's performance on GMA. While it was obvious she has more experience in music performance, and has further developed her musical talents, she purposefully did not overshadow Mark in that venue. She led the performance, in a gentle way, while highlighting and supporting Mark throughout. Very generous. Very classy.

I also liked seeing her play the 'Team Leader' role with Tango. I was used to her being quiet and unassumingly in the background. Yet in the Tango: during the rehearsals, performance, and the Tom/ Brooke interview segments; she was front and center - actually directing some aspects. She seemed to be enjoying those responsibilities as well, and again appeared generous and supportive whilst doing so.

However, I am still less impressed than the judges with her dancing. While technically good, she appears to me to be somewhat tentative and brittle in her performances. I now believe I mistook these symptoms - judging her to be cold, even aloof, as a person. But I think I got that wrong. After seeing her this week, I believe she simply lacks confidence in her dance abilities, which will hopefully increase over time. It would be nice to see her deliver more of her natural warmth, generosity, and classy spirit to the audience with her dance.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

It sounds very similar to Melissa's injury. I'm glad this one wasn't as serious.
Katherine takes a knee to the head.

Edited by aceplace57, May 7, 2012 @ 1:29 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Really scared for her after tonight. Her Cha Cha and Viennese Waltz were amazing, but they so underscored her Viennese Waltz. Some of the best technique on a Viennese Waltz i've ever seen.

I voting my butt off in every facet possible. Would really be a shame if the overall leader didn't even make the semi-finals.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

Yeah PBGamer89. If Katherine goes home it would be the first time ever that the overall leader hasn't made it to the finals!!!! If she happens to go home I will blame Carrie Ann stupid ass.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:04 AM

Deleted

Edited by rulesoftravel, May 8, 2012 @ 12:05 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

DwtS S14 Week 8 Post-Performance Interview: Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas
On The Red Carpet
Access Hollywood

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Really nervous for Katherine tonight. Felt her Viennese Waltz was underscored. An 8 Carrie Ann? I wouldíve gone in the 28/29 range. Her technique was superb. Only thing was a small stumble getting up from the spin. Cha Cha trio was great. Felt that trio was the best in terms of making the trio work and incorporating the 3rd person.

If Katherine goes, I lose about 90% of my desire to watch. Sheís the overall leader in judges scores and I think itíd be the first time the overall leader didnít make at least the semi-finals. It would drastically bring down the dance quality if you ask me.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Katherine and Mark's comments about the suit malfunction is interesting. The suit was split in half, right down the middle of her back and front. Even the tie was split in half and velcroed. How a two piece costume became a three piece like it did has them baffled. Katherine improvised that kick that got rid of the pants leg.

Just shows anything weird can happen on live tv.

Edited by aceplace57, May 8, 2012 @ 2:38 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

I know that even though Tom tweeted about tonight but didn't say anything about it being shocking, I'm still nervous.

She absolutely deserves to be in the semi-finals. We still haven't seen her do a Quickstep, Salsa, or solo Tango. Of all of those, I'm most excited to see her do a Quickstep.

Fingers crossed that she stays. I think Roshon is a goner. Kid's been in the bottom way too many times and with such a small spread of scores, I don't see a scenario that he's not one of the bottom 2 totals. I'm tore about Melissa and Maria being the next elimination. It could go either way I think. Melissa's journey is like a cat with 9 lives and I think she's up to like 7 or 8. Chmerkovskiy trio and her best score aside, I don't know if she can power out of the bottom 2 scores. Maybe 2nd lowest, but I don't know about any higher.

Mark seems to always get the great partners with small fan bases. Katherine, Sabrina, Chelsea, Kristin are were great but literally had me worried every week because I didn't have a fan base security to think they were 100% safe. Granted he had Kristi and Shawn who had arguably huge fan bases, but majority of his good partners had small fan bases.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

PBGamer89 we have to think positive thoughts about Katherine staying tonight :). She along Donald are my favorites this season. I think Melissa should go definitely tonight.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

Trying to think positive thoughts, but also have to prepare myself for the worst as well. She doesn't deserve to leave tonight. In the end of all things, she's the best dancer and that at least warrants semi-finals.

My gut says Roshon and Melissa but you never know with this show. The blatant manipulation for William is very off putting. He's good but no where's near as good as the judges think he is.

I just want another female celebrity who dances well and has a big fan base. The past 2 seasons have been very much in the mens' favor fan base wise constantly casting men with huge fan bases (Donald, William, JR, Rob, Hines), while casting females who can dance but don't have large fan bases (Chelsea, Ricki, Katherine).

It pains me to say this but men are going to win this show forever unless they cast another Jennifer Grey/Kristi Yamaguchi/Shawn Johnson in terms of dance ability AND fan base.

comosedice

comosedice

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I think the most deserving person should win, the gender of that person should have no relevance at all. This is not battle of the sexes. Katherine has yet to excite me as much as Donald, Roshon, or William. She is the best female dancer left and if she moves on and has great performances I will not be mad if she wins, but no way she win because the last two winners were men.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

She shouldn't JUST win because she's a woman. She's the best dancer left and I side with the female because they are mostly the underdogs. Men always get the votes so from a fan base standpoint, most of the time, they are not in good terms for votes, not to mention they do a hell of a lot more than male celebrities too so whenever a woman can hold her own, I'm impressed.

She probably doesn't have a chance to win if she's in the finals with both Donald and William, but I'd at least like her to make the finals.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I think Katherine is a good technical dancer, but her dancing rarely makes me feel anything, except appreciation for her ability to dance the steps. Actually agreeing with CAI that the fire is lacking. Bland is dominating.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Yay! I'm so glad Katherine is safe!

I hope she knocks the judges away next week with her dances. I think next week is going to be even closer than this week was. No one left has been in the bottom 2.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I'd rather she and Mark stay over Maria M and Derek. And I would rather see her than William in the finals, as long as Donald D wins.

Edited by rulesoftravel, May 8, 2012 @ 10:10 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I rewatched Monday's show and realized that they showed Katherine's head hitting Mark's knee in rehearsal. They even showed her reaction and never once mentioned it was a minor concussion. Katherine said in the article I linked earlier that she was still ill the next night when she had to perform at Brit Week.

She's a tough lady. Mark wanted to stop and she insisted on getting right back in there with that spin move again.

I'm glad she's made it to the semi-finals. I agree she'll have to bring more fire and passion to win that mirror ball. She's a good dancer, but that British reserve is holding her back from those three tens.

Edited by aceplace57, May 8, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

She can't be that reserved, in the confessional video after the V. Waltz Mark said that the kiss at the end of the dance wasn't planned. She just threw that in on her own. Mark needs to tap into that side of her for next week.

That was a nail bitter of an ending. I'm glad she's safe.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

I donít know what it is. Sheís perfectly beautiful. Her make-up is always perfect. Her hair is perfect. She seems perfectly nice and perfectly charming. She can dance very well. For some reason, I donít like her, and I canít figure out why. Thereís nothing wrong with her. I just want her eliminated.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Talk about six degrees of separation - one of my husband's private students is organising the musicians to play for Ms Jenkins when she performs later this year. (NB a little name-dropping hurts nobody, eh? lol!)

Here's hoping for tickets.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:37 AM

DwtS S14 Week 8 Post-Results Interview: Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas
On The Red Carpet

Katherine will be dancing the Quickstep and Salsa next week.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Yay! Quickstep! That could be amazing.

Hoping Mark can choreograph a fun and crowd pleasing Salsa! I hope they actually get Salsa music and not some awful piece like "Get it On" by Sean Paul.

Kerri Johnson

Kerri Johnson

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

I donít know what it is. Sheís perfectly beautiful. Her make-up is always perfect. Her hair is perfect. She seems perfectly nice and perfectly charming. She can dance very well. For some reason, I donít like her, and I canít figure out why. Thereís nothing wrong with her. I just want her eliminated.

I think it's her desperation to be famous in America.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I have to say, Katherine got me this week. Not just for the TC&S trio (which I loved for obvious reasons), but the Viennese Waltz - I felt in that dance she finally showed genuine emotion, and was more concerned with telling the story than technical perfection (although what CAI was smoking to give her an 8 I do not know). With M&M out now, she's getting all my votes.

CocooNut

CocooNut

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

She can't be that reserved, in the confessional video after the V. Waltz Mark said that the kiss at the end of the dance wasn't planned. She just threw that in on her own. Mark needs to tap into that side of her for next week.

Didn’t know that, interesting. Guess that's why I found the kiss extremely awkward and so out of place. I just don’t see any chemistry between her and Mark, sorry.

I wonder if Katherine’s feeling the heat from Maria. Katherine may be the better (technical) dancer, but Maria has really started to gain steam the last several weeks. And imo, no other couple compares to the incredible connection her and Derek has on the dance floor. I’ve been really impressed by her ability to feel the emotions of each dance, a quality I think Katherine has struggled with all season. She always looks like she’s trying too hard or something. I wish she could learn to let go of her inhibitions, because she IS a pretty dancer. But pretty dancing isn't enough for me when the rest of her performances are so bland and forgettable.

Edited by CocooNut, May 11, 2012 @ 4:07 PM.

posting

posting

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I wonder if Katherine’s feeling the heat from Maria. Katherine may be the better (technical) dancer, but Maria has really started to gain steam the last several weeks. And imo, no other couple compares to the incredible connection her and Derek has on the dance floor. I’ve been really impressed by her ability to feel the emotions of each dance, a quality I think Katherine has struggled with all season. She always looks like she’s trying too hard or something. I wish she could learn to let go of her inhibitions, because she IS a pretty dancer. But pretty dancing isn't enough for me when the rest of her performances are so bland and forgettable.

Totally agree! But I watched Katherine's Trio dance again - I really do like that one. And it seems she can let go of her inhibitions when she's ready. I've seen one of her videos, and a snippet of candid video in which she was dancing sexy with a band member(s on stage at their concert. She was there with a few other DWTS people.

Edited by posting, May 11, 2012 @ 4:37 PM.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

Guess that's why I found the kiss extremely awkward and so out of place. I just donít see any chemistry between her and Mark, sorry.

Agreed. She had way more chemistry with Tristan, imo.