Katherine Jenkins: Welsh Wiggler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

241 replies to this topic

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

Our sweet Welsh songbird is getting corrupted by Mark, Maria,William,and Derek. I'm glad she's having a bit of fun. Katherine's had a few rough months and coming to LA for dwts is a nice break from her stodgy life of classical music performances.
Video: Dwts cast storming the Steel Panther stage.

Katherine Jenkins ‏ @KathJenkins

2continue the rock theme,we stormed the stage at a Steel Panther gig last night @willylevy29 @mariamenounos @MarkBallas http://twitvid.com/DNFH4

That night, we all went out to see Steel Panther at the House of Blues. Katherine, Derek, Maria, William, Cheryl and I got on stage with them and rocked out. It was super fun! Maria and I were dancing together, tearing it up.

Marks Blog.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:49 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

I'm super stoked about her Argentine Tango next week. She said it was the one dance she was most excited to do.

I've noticed in the past some celebs have looked forward to a particular dance and it was one of their best. Nicole wanted to do Paso so bad and she got a 30. Jennie wanted to do Paso so bad and she got her first 10 with it. Mya wanted to do Salsa the most and it was a 30.

So I think a celeb that is really excited about a particular style makes them push harder to perfect it. This could be a showstopper. With Katherine's technique, Mark's choreography, and a great Latin styled Tango song, it has all the makings of greatness. She showed power with her Paso and sexy with her Jive, so I think she can pull off the seductiveness needed for Argentine Tango.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:58 AM

Katherine said in the OTRC interview that she's been looking forward to the Tango. She should do really well with it. The Tango requires the same powerful "kick butt" attitude that she struggled with in the Paso. Except, the Tango is more arrogant than angry? I'm hoping Katherine delivers a better Tango character than her Paso character.

I thought Katherine did great with the paso character. She had some slight issues with technique, but none of the judges had any problems with her performance.

This season may have some of the "best dancers ever" (as the season progresses, I feel this statement is becoming less and less true), but Katherine is the only one who really shines to me, and I'd hate for her to be Sabrina'd out of the competition.

While I think this cast's dancing abilities are on a more even level than any other season (with Katherine being the exception), I by no means think it's the most talented season. For me, that would be Season 3, whose talent went all the way deep down to seventh place finisher Willa Ford.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

While I think this cast's dancing abilities are on a more even level than any other season (with Katherine being the exception), I by no means think it's the most talented season. For me, that would be Season 3, whose talent went all the way deep down to seventh place finisher Willa Ford.

Ah, I see. I started watching the show in S5 (which also was a season where the words "talent" and "close (competition)" were used very often), but yeah I don't think the dancers this season are totally amazing overall (in spite of what Tom and Brooke keep telling us). I should probably watch some of S3.

Katherine is wonderful to me - my favorite contestant since Melissa Rycroft (even if she's not a Mya or Nicole). The rest of the contestants range from poor to good, which is no different than I feel during any other season.

Edited by DoleWhip, Apr 14, 2012 @ 10:52 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

Excellent Argentine Tango tonight from Katherine!

I thought it was damn near perfect for me. I was mesmerized during the whole dance. She is just such an incredible dancer. Her flicks were so good. With a 10 point gap from the bottom, i'd say she's pretty much safe and out of the bottom 2. I still voted as much as possible for her, to be safe.

Can't wait to see her do another lyrical type of dance again like Rumba or Viennese Waltz. I also think her Quickstep will be class personified. I worry a tiny bit about her doing sexier dances like Cha Cha and Salsa, but she showed in her Jive that she can do fast and sexy, so I just look forward to her tackling and conquering every style.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

I'm looking forward to what else she can bring to the table. It's interesting that she hasn't got the Salsa, Samba or Cha-Cha yet. Kinda remind me of Nicole and Mya when they got the Cha-Cha, Salsa and Samba near the end of the competition. I love this season so much better than last season.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:15 AM

I haven't been this excited for my favorite since season 11 with Jennifer and Brandy.

I loved Chelsea Kane but due to Hines' fan base and weekly tongue bathes from the judges on mediocre dancing, she had no chance. Mark's attitude that season just cemented her eventual loss. Ricki was good, but even though she was the best female that season she doesn't rank among the best females in 14 seasons and no one could beat JR.

I feel like Katherine has a legit shot to win this. She's an amazing dancer and Mark has great experience with Freestyle. They have all scored 30's (let's just all disregard Bristol's freestyle but even Jesus couldn't have created a good freestyle for her). Donald and William will be tough to beat, but Shawn beat Gilles and Brooke beat Warren, so it's possible.

Not to mention, she's has such a charming personality that I can't possibly fathom someone legitimately saying "Oh. Katherine is so annoying, etc". She has all my votes. Week 5 is about when I stop splitting votes and get behind who i want to win. With Motown week next week, I can see her getting a Cha Cha or Rumba.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:18 AM

DwtS S14 Week 5 Post-Performance Interview: Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas : On The Red Carpet

If they survive tonight's elimination, Katherine will be dancing the Samba.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

I'm sure her technique and performance quality will be amazing, but I worry abut the song they have. Motown is famous for upbeat songs, but the ones i know seem to have more of a Cha Cha beat, so I hope they don't get a bad song.

Kinda mad that she won't get to do a "Latin" styled Samba, but there's still Salsa for her left.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

With Stevie Wonder supposedly singing next Monday, I think it's for Katherine and Mark's Samba.

A number of his songs have been used for Sambas in the past seasons including Superstition, I Wish, For Once in my Life, and Sir Duke.

I think Sir Duke or Superstition would be the best choices for Katherine and Mark. Preferably Superstition; I think it fits the Samba beat more than any of his other songs. Mario Lopez danced a Samba to it in season 3 and got a 29.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

Plus, they already used Sir Duke this season for Gladys's quickstep, so that's definitely out.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

I think their song is probably one of Superstition or I Wish. Not bad, both have a Samba beat to them.

In most cases, when a dance on paper looks like it won't work it usually does. I got worried when I heard about Mya's 70's Samba, Nicole's 50's Paso, even Joanna's Future Paso, and they all worked out great.

RooKanga

RooKanga

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

Katherine is living my dream life.The voice of the angel AND she kicked Ballas in the crotch...more than once. Oh yeah - she's a pretty good dancer, too. Go Katherine - you've got my vote!

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 5:31 AM

Katherine sang for a charity event Saturday night.
http://www.dailymail...lyn-Monroe.html

A fab night at the Beverly Hilton performing with David Foster at the John Wayne Cancer Charity Benefit... http://lockerz.com/s/203241279

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

Hoping for the best with tonight's Samba. Hoping she'll be able to do it well and wow the judges. This is the one dance besides Paso that I'm not 100% sure she'll nail. She'll never dance bad because she had coordination, but I just hope she can have fun, have good technique and perform.

She certainly can do fun and sexy as she showed with the Jive, so I'm optimistic. Gotta keep her out of that dance duel tomorrow. To have her leave the week before Classical week would be awful.

simba12

simba12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Chelsea Kane...blaagh....A ton of stage experience and she couldn't move her hips if her life depended on it. She was lucky to finish in third that year.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

Katherine has the body to Samba and she's not afraid to display her, uh assets.
Katherine on stage in 2008.

If Katherine embraces the fun side of the samba then shaking her "naughty bits" will get her tens tonight.

**Update** The Welsh Wiggler didn't show up for Motown night. Katherine was pretty stiff and there was no chest shimmy at all. That's a big part of the Samba and she didn't deliver. It's a shame because her costume did let the girls out for the party. The judges over scored her for the Samba.

Hoping for the best with tonight's Samba. Hoping she'll be able to do it well and wow the judges. This is the one dance besides Paso that I'm not 100% sure she'll nail. She'll never dance bad because she had coordination, but I just hope she can have fun, have good technique and perform.

She certainly can do fun and sexy as she showed with the Jive, so I'm optimistic. Gotta keep her out of that dance duel tomorrow. To have her leave the week before Classical week would be awful.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:57 AM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:33 AM

DwtS S14 Week 6 Post-Performance Interview: Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas
On The Red Carpet

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I don't know what the judges were watching, but that was way over-scored. What Samba? She doesn't need that kind of coddling.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

I have noticed that the judges sometimes tend to score Sambas well if the technique is really there. Because it's the toughest Latin dance to conquer, I wonder if they give extra points if the celebrity gets the technique down pat, and from my view, Katherine did. Did it lack a bit of the carnival/Latin feel? Yes, but I think it was partly in the song choice. I wish she had done this dance to a more Latin feeling of the music, and it might have made her come alive more.

I don't mind the scores, because her technique really was spot on, in a really difficult dance. When you have a dance like William's Rumba which was all performance and little technique, I prefer to see the dancing done right.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

I don't mind the scores, because her technique really was spot on, in a really difficult dance. When you have a dance like William's Rumba which was all performance and little technique, I prefer to see the dancing done right.

And I'm completely the opposite. I'd rather have joy and performance than just technique. Technique without performance or joy is cold and uninspiring, and can even look awkward. That is why I would much rather watch Gladys (or even Gavin) than Katherine. She seems, to me, too cold, too worried about "Am I perfect?" with her constant makeup and squealing and disingenuous "Who, me?" mannerisms.

Oddly enough, she was one of the contestants I was most excited about before the season started, as I love her voice and thought she did a wonderful job last year when she sang on the show. Now that I've gotten to "know" her from dancing this year, I am just, meh.

Edited by Willow2tree, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:44 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

I'm guessing she has Viennese Waltz next week seeing as the other choices for classical week (Paso, Waltz, Argentine Tango) she's already done.

The classical singer doing a Viennese Waltz on classical night? I smell her well deserved perfect 30 next week.

Not to mention she's on the team dance with Derek and Kym who have extremely well records with team dances.

ETA: Katherine tweeted that she has Rumba next week.

This could be good for her. The slow, lyrical-ness of it could really show off her amazing technique. All she has to do is really connect with Mark and show sexyness.

Can't wait. This could be 30-worthy.

Edited by PBGamer89, Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:30 PM.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I thought the Samba would be a fun dance for Katherine, but she just didn't deliver for me. I think, just like in the AT, she was struggling to understand who her character was supposed to be and she did a bit of dancing by numbers, and it felt robotic and a tad soulless. The quality of dancing was nice enough at times, but really I think she was exposed as more of a beginning ballroom dancer in this dance than she has in any other. She was not the only one surprised at her 10s, and frankly, to me, the dance was over-scored. That dance was not close to being nearly perfect, either with her technique or the choreography.

I wish the judges weren't so desperate to keep her on that they would actually give her some real critique, which I think she deserves and would only help to make her a better dancer. Stop letting the Welsh Wiggler wriggle off the hook of constructive criticism when it is due her, everyone else has had their turn, and then some, it is beginning to look lopsided and it's unnecessary..

And another issue I have is that I believe Mark is really not putting forth his best work this season, as I've seen it. I have rarely liked his style of dance but I also haven't liked most of his partners, so when I saw he had Katherine I thought he might bloom teaching her, but it's been practically the opposite. Mostly I feel bored watching him with Katherine and I can't help but think that she would be getting better dances, more interesting choreography, if she'd been given to Derek or Tristan.

It is clear Katherine has quite a bit of natural dancing talent but seeing Mark squander it is one of the, many, unfortunate things to happen this season. Stop focusing on out-dancing your student, Mark, and maybe give her a dance that will truly earn her scores that she deserves.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

I wonder how Mark pulled this off? His style is definitely not classical. It'll be interesting to see what they perform on GMA. I'm curious if he'll only accompany her on guitar or sing too.

I'm looking forward to their Rumba. Classical week makes me hope that it's a slow, sexy Rumba. Those are the best. A Rumba doesn't look right with fast music.

Hello NYC! So happy to be back.. 1st day of this weeks Rumba rehearsal done. Now better get to bed as I'm up at 3.30 to warm my voice up!

On our way to NYC as we'll be performing on @GMA 2moro (1st time we perform together & it doesn't involve dancing!) & @LiveKelly on Friday.

**Update** Mark did a really nice job on guitar. Katherine still has the voice of an angel. It's a rare treat to hear Katherine only accompanied by a guitar.
Katherine and Mark (on guitar) performing one of her songs.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:26 PM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I'm not a fan of her voice generally. But this kind of song suits her much more. I really don't like her takes on selections from operas, I find her voice shrill. But this piece, which is an Irish folk song, is a good fit.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

It is clear Katherine has quite a bit of natural dancing talent but seeing Mark squander it is one of the, many, unfortunate things to happen this season.

CPP83, you are so right there. Katherine is probably one of those who is also a fast-learner where the techniques of a dance is concerned (and maybe Mark B thinks that is enough to please Mr Goodman). ) But perhaps he has failed her in teaching the essence of a specific dance.

The one time she has emoted in a dance was when they danced in remembrance of her father.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

The one time she has emoted in a dance was when they danced in remembrance of her father.

Well, personally I thought she really portrayed sassy and fun in her Jive and even had glimpses of aggression in her Paso. She's not an actress so I'm sure it's not easy for her to act, but I think she's doing a fine job emoting in the dance. She'll never win in the end. She'll either get criticized for not emoting enough, or she'll emote and get criticized for being fake or overdoing it.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

I agree with you PBGamer89, Katherine really sold me after her Jive. Although she gets labeled as being boring and disconnected with the dances I enjoy her each and every week. I love her chill and easy going attitude. I'm hoping that she or Donald can take home the trophy instead of the overrated William.

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

aceplace57:**Update** Mark did a really nice job on guitar. Katherine still has the voice of an angel. It's a rare treat to hear Katherine only accompanied by a guitar.
Katherine and Mark (on guitar) performing one of her songs.

So many of Mark's tics and tricks bug the bejaysus out of me, but he's truly a gifted musician. In fact, it seems like he's great at just about anything he puts his mind to. As for Katherine, I think he's been surprisingly restrained except for this last dance. I think that for most dances he realizes what a gem he has, and is trying to step back and not out-dance her -- finally letting one of his partners shine. I put this week's unfortunate spaz -- er spats relapse down to lack of confidence in her ability for this particular dance (and yes, I think she was way over-scored on this one). Hopefully next week he will set her up to shine once again.

Willow2tree

Willow2tree

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

I may not be gaga over Katherine's dancing or her "gee whiz!" attitude, but boy, her voice brings tears to my eyes with it's beauty. I love that particular song, "Carrigfergus", too.

Edited by Willow2tree, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:02 AM.