Katherine Jenkins: Welsh Wiggler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

241 replies to this topic

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Just as long as Mark doesn't out-dance her, she'll do well for many weeks.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

She's kind of perfect. Gorgeous talented people with a sense of humility have the world at their fingertips.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

I thought the crying over the judges seemed fake. I wonder if there are some producers trying to break her in over here and they thought her being on here, the star of the night, etc. was the way to go.

I can't watch Mark these days so I'm not very unbiased, but she seemed OK other than the tears.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

Loved Katherine and Mark's foxtrot! I still will continue to worry about her fanbase, but a successful Week 1 dance and going near the end tonight are gonna be two big helps for them.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 3:20 AM

I really enjoyed their classic Foxtrot. She might, might, even manage to make Mark tolerable. I stress, might. Might. I don't think he'll be able to crowbar in his normal stupidity and clownish behaviour with her. She has a very composed, well managed image. She's not immature.

I've always found she had a bit of a false veneer about her. We'll see if that cracks a bit over time. The tears can go, I don't want that to become a thing. Still, it was a good dance. A nod to Mark for not overdancing her, although there was a moment where he showboated a bit. But overall, much more subdued. Thank heavens.

annoyinglyrad

annoyinglyrad

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

I thought she was adorable. And she made me forget she was dancing with Mark, which is always a plus. Perhaps a little overscored, I mean, giving nines on the first night is kind of ridiculous, where's the room for improvement?

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

well she had a good start (and totally enchanted by her that I forgot that she's dealing with MARK, whose British accent was peaking through.) Overscored yes, but that was a pretty good foxtrot. If she can ace the jive, I can see her lasting to at least the semis.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 2:02 AM

Well, if Katherine was overscored, then it's most likely because a lot of the other celebs were also overscored. The judges gave lesser dances 7's and 8's, so when it was Katherine's turn, it would have been unfair to not give her 8 and 9's.

Week 1 On the Red Carpet Interview with Katherine and Mark:

http://www.ontheredc...ideo?id=8587021

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I agree in the sense that because everyone before Katherine was getting 7's and 8's on routines that weren't as good as her's, that 8's and 9's were the only acceptable option.

She did what she needed to do to make a good first impression this week and I'm anxiously awaiting their Jive. If she can handle Latin, than she will make it far in this season.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Access Hollywood with K-Mark after the foxtrot: http://bcove.me/zmx3xaj7

Access Hollywood interview with Katherine and Mark: http://bit.ly/GHYbu0

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

I'm mainly familiar with Katherine Jenkins from her appearances on Graham Norton, so I am curious; is there any specific reason why she's on DTWS and not Strictly? Does she spend more time in the US or something?

Monica21

Monica21

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I'm mainly familiar with Katherine Jenkins from her appearances on Graham Norton, so I am curious; is there any specific reason why she's on DTWS and not Strictly? Does she spend more time in the US or something?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's to become more well known in the US and sell more albums. In the UK she's apparently quite a big deal and doesn't need the exposure there.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

Katherine and Ballas are all over Yahoo videos tonight. I suck at linking. But they are big-time in the news for DWTS.

DoleWhip

DoleWhip

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:05 AM

Katherine Jenkins is my favorite contestant since Melissa Rycroft. I could watch the whole season just for her (and even start voting in week 3, which is way earlier than usual for me).

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:33 AM

Mark posted this hilarious photo of Katherine and him in rehearsal. Mark had to really push her hard to shake those naughty bits in the jive. I'm still amazed at how sharp her flicks were in the jive. I thought they had the best jive tonight.
Katherine is a little irritated with Mark.

Mark is calling her the Welsh Wiggler. That might not be a bad thread name? We've already learned that Katherine can dance really well.

I'm really glad to see Katherine do so well. I'm even liking Mark this season and I never thought I'd be saying that!

**Update** I just googled Welsh Wiggler and urban dictionary gives a very naughty definition for it. I don't know where urban dictionary came up with that slang expression. I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a thread name after all. Google it yourself and see what you think. I do know they've been calling Katherine the Welsh Wiggler all over the internet in various news stories and on twitter.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:57 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

I doubt that many people really know the "slang" term for Welsh Wiggler.

I think it's a perfectly fine thread title. When I heard them saying it in the show, I thought it was the perfect thread title. I was always a little ticked that she had such a generic title, and I think Welsh Wiggler is just fine. Most words have naughty slang attached to it in some way, so I don't think it's a problem.

Now that we know she can kill the Latin as well as the ballroom, I am super stoked to see her kill all the other styles. I think she's at least semi-finals bound, if not the finals. I mean, after all, she's setting herself apart of one of the best dancers this season and they always have at least 1 female star in the finals and I think she's all but securing that spot.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:44 AM

Now that I know what a "Welsh wiggler" is, PLEASE don't use it as the thread title! I don't want the picture in my head every time I see the forum name, thankyouverymuch.

superfamous

superfamous

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

Katherine is a ringer. How come no one is mentioning about that?

Monica21

Monica21

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:53 AM

Well, she's not a dancer, is probably why. I haven't seen any significant dance experience in her history, especially compared to the likes of Nicole and Mya who made their living off of dancing while singing. She took some tap as a child and learned ballet for a tour, which isn't much different from anyone else in show business.

I think more than anything, her performance background, charisma, and the ability to bring it under pressure is what's helping her. You don't graduate from the Royal Academy without learning to perform when it counts. And for all his faults, Mark actually is a good teacher. He even turned Bristol into a passable dancer.

Maighsi

Maighsi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

Just my personal opinion, but I don't believe Katherine is as shy and easily embarrassed as she acts. There are pictures of her on the internet to suggest "still water runs deep." However, since this is a site to discuss dancing............she seems to doing as well as some, and better than most. Never mind her (sickeningly sweet) projected personality.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I've been converted into a Katherine Jenkins fan. Her Jive is one of my favorite Jives. She's extremely hot as well.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

How about as a thread title: "Katherine Jenkins: Shaking her naughty bits"? I think that;s funny enough without using welsh wiggler.

olderdcr

olderdcr

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

I have to agree with Maighsi - Katherine is a fake - and I don't mean in the dancing department. She is trying to portray the personality of a sweet, innocent child to get the audience on her side. But I don't believe her for one minute. It came home to me last night as I watched the show..she acted shy about the sexy moves she would have to do for the jive - giggling and all that - and then she comes out and nails it. It's all an act.

She is the best dancer this season, and certainly she deserves to win on that alone. But I don't trust her or like her.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

I like "naughty bits" for a thread title to. Maybe "Katherine Jenkins: Shake, Shake Your Naughty Bits"? I keep thinking of KC and the Sunshine Bands Shake, Shake, Shake Your Booty. I'm dating myself here but it's a great dance song. It reminds me of Katherine & Mark busting loose and having fun with the jive.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=N1YXcD0njts

How about as a thread title: "Katherine Jenkins: Shaking her naughty bits"? I think that;s funny enough without using welsh wiggler.

Mark & Katherine on The Red Carpet interview.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:10 PM.

Ima Pilgrim

Ima Pilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Katherine did an awesome dance, again, but the 'sweet and innocent' act is almost gagworthy. I find it very hard to believe she's not milking the "aw shucks" thing for all it's worth. Then again, she can walk the walk and shake the shake when she needs to.

Scoutlet

Scoutlet

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

She's my favorite woman this year. She can keep up with Mark's Crazy.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

I'm not putting "naughty bits" in the thread title. It grosses me out.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Welsh Diva then?

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

How about "Katherine Jenkins: Shake, Shake, Shake Your Jive Thing"? That's accurate for her week 2 dance. I think the jive really proved Katherine has what it takes to go far on this show. I wasn't expecting her to have these kinds of wild moves.

I'm also impressed with how fit she is. Katherine finished that jive and didn't seem winded at all.

Katherine isn't afraid to show her curves in a classy way.
Katherine steps out with the dwts cast in a little white dress.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 28, 2012 @ 1:30 AM.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

Yes I too was shocked on how fit Katherine is especially after the Jive. I will say again that if there's any justice she should definitely be in the finals. I love when I get surprise by people that I count out initially.