Katherine Jenkins: Welsh Wiggler

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

241 replies to this topic

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Feel free to suggest a better title. I used Sings, Acts, Can She Dance as a temporary title until we learn more about her personality on dwts.

Katherine has danced recently. She danced in Viva La Diva with Darcey Bussell in 2009 on the BBC. There was a nationwide tour and DVD from Viva La Diva with a lot of big production numbers.

We must have stole Katherine Jenkins from Strictly Come Dancing. She's a Welsh mezzo-soprano and pretty big in classical music. I first learned of her from Doctor Who.

This is the lady I'll be initially rooting for. I listen to her music and adore her. She sang on dwts last year and maybe that gave her the inspiration to dance this season? This article on Katherine has a video of her last dwts appearance.

http://www.dailymail...rd-compete.html

Edited by aceplace57, Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

I hope she's good. She the only hope for a young, natural, fluid female dancer, unless Maria is good.

She is beautiful and i'm sure the audiences will recognize her when they mention she sang on classical night in Season 12.

I never seen her dance before but she can't be bad can she? Mark seems to get a lot of young, but unknown girls who can dance (Sabrina, Chelsea, Kristin). Hopefully Katherine can get as far as Chelsea did and not an early elimination like Kristin or Sabrina.

Title idea: Dancer of the Opera?

Edited by PBGamer89, Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:49 PM

I think the question is whether Katherine has any sort of stateside fanbase as a jumping off point. People like Chelsea & Sabrina were popular with a certain demographic from the Disney Channel coming into DWTS, so they came to the show with a specific fanbase. I don't think remembering Katherine from her one previous DWTS performance is going to be enough frankly. I didn't even remember who she was until I was reminded about her appearance.

Which again, I'm not trying to say that Katherine isn't an accomplished star. I'm just not sure she has enough name recognition in the US at present to compete against folks who are more recognizable names to the audience. Especially at the beginning. She's one that is going to have to come out and make a big impression in the first week if she has any hopes at sticking around.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

I believe that she'll be able to make a good performance. I'm sure she has musicality and rhythm.

All she has to do is try to be in the Top 4 or 3 in scores to make a good impression. 2 weeks of dances before the first result will either help or hurt her. If she's good, it'll only separate her from the bad ones but if she's just OK or awkward, she'll be on the cutting board.

I remember thinking Brooke Burke had no chance after she was cast. Thinking "she's kind of unknown, she's an attractive woman and trying to compete with the fanbases of boybanders, soap legends, a Disney star, and a football player. All she has to do is make a good impression on the first night". She ended out winning, so I don't count anybody out till I see them dance.

Edited by PBGamer89, Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:59 PM.

Freeze Ray

Freeze Ray

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I agree with the poster from general gabbery that DWTS may have stolen Katherine Jenkins from Strictly Come Dancing which would have been a better fit for her UK fanbase but I would love her to widen her profile in the US with the show.

From what I've seen of her in Popstar to Opera Star (where she's a coach), she has a very pleasant personality and I think that will come across well.

I'm interested to see how Katherine is going to cope with Mark's super manic/boring routines but I think Mark might actually be quite tolerable this season with her.

maltipom

maltipom

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

Katherine Jenkins seems to be game for anything. She learned to do this for one of her shows.Looks like she could have nice lines. I hope she lasts a few weeks, I like her.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Seeing as she's a Mezzo-Soprano, how about a thread title of "Mezzo Mambo"?

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Katherine Jenkins seems to be game for anything. She learned to do this for one of her shows. Looks like she could have nice lines.

Okay, that was sweet enough for most of the way through (totally watching the guy playing the angel, though). Then at the end, WOW!

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

I melt every time I hear her voice. Especially when she's singing pop songs like Angel. Incredible voice and a gorgeous lady. Americans are going to love her on dwts.

Edited by aceplace57, Feb 29, 2012 @ 11:53 PM.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:57 AM

If you want to get to know Katherine more, here is an in-depth interview she did with Piers Morgan:

http://youtu.be/wWsSBJDGg1k
http://youtu.be/--z5AsVbuts
http://youtu.be/o0WTuTLhW3c
http://youtu.be/2vJlUcWI2DQ
http://youtu.be/9sefvU9y4Kw

She appears to be a warm, poised young woman and I hope she can capture the DWTS audience's attention.

Title idea: Dancer of the Opera?

Actually, Katherine considers herself a "classical (or classically-trained) singer" as she hasn't really ever performed in opera.

Edited by atyleung, Mar 6, 2012 @ 4:28 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:46 PM

I have another thread idea.

1. "Mezzo Mambo"
2. "Welsh Waltz"

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

...Or alternately, after the pics from this weekend...

'Dude, is that your hand on my knee?'

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

'Dude, is that your hand on my knee?'

I wonder if Katherine asked for help in rekindling things with her ex-fiancé – much like Mark did for his last partner?

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:03 AM

I have another thread idea.

1. "Mezzo Mambo"
2. "Welsh Waltz"

Both of those are great, PBGamer! I slightly like #2 more. :-)

Mark tweeted a pic of him and Katherine in rehearsal

http://instagr.am/p/H2YH81TPEQ/

They already look so pretty together!

Edited by atyleung, Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:03 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

Katherine tweeted that their first dance is Foxtrot.

Sounds like she's having a fun time learning the dance. Makes sense that they'd do Foxtrot first so that they'd do Jive the next week. I just hope Mark sticks to a proper Jive this season. Katherine needs to make a good impression and build a fan base to stay in the competition and it won't happen if Mark feels the need to make "creative" differences within the dances.

Such a fun session today learning the foxtrot with @MarkBallas 'One is enjoying oneself immensely' ;) #DWTS #TeamKMark

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Via her twitter feed: Katherine & Mark are taking in some of the sight of London after practice. Cute!

And we have an official team name: Team K-Mark!

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Katherine is so much prettier dressed down in her work out kit. I really like the picture holding the Vote K-Mark sign.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

Can't wait to see some rehearsal media, pics or video, from her.

I'm really curious to see if she can dance well. I think she can, personally. I'm rooting for her.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Katherine tweeted that she and Mark are traveling to LA today. They'll have another week of rehearsal in LA before the show starts.

atyleung

atyleung

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Shall we change the thread title? Are either of PBGamer's suggestions game for everyone?

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

I'd suggest waiting until after the first couple dances. We'll know then if she's going to be any good. Something quirky she says in rehearsals may suggest a thread title.

I've been a fan of Katherine's for awhile, but she's always just been an elegant woman with a great voice. Her personality is a total mystery to me. Even imagining her sweating is difficult. She's always so perfect looking and never a hair out of place.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 11, 2012 @ 10:52 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

Finally! Some rehearsal footage from Katherine and Mark!

Her frame looks really good and the sections they showed from their Foxtrot look awesome and she still has another week for make it even better! I'm excited about seeing these two dance in a week!

maltipom

maltipom

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

Sounds like Mark's English accent is back.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 6:35 PM

Team K-Mark released a lot of promotional material today.

Access Hollywood interview.

Associated Press interview.

Training pictures.

Very funny video of Mark and Katherine on the plane to LA. I'm beginning to think these two will be a lot of fun to watch this season.
http://www.twitvid.com/DPAGB

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:12 PM.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Damn she's going to be good. Wow this is going to be a great season in terms of good dancers.

TheAnglican

TheAnglican

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

If Mark could only keep the spats in the closet this season, maybe I wouldn't have to hate his dances this year since Katherine is so appealing. I don't think he's had a partner that I liked this much (at least, pre-season) since Kristi.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

Another rehearsal video via ETOnline

Once again, she looks like she'll be good. She said she briefly did tap as a child. I think it'll help her rather than make her a ringer.

She seems so sweet and adorable so I hope she sticks around for awhile. This show is famous for taking people who aren't too famous far like Chelsea, JR, Joanna, Ty, to name a few.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

The ETOnline interview is the first time I've heard her address the Viva la Diva tour she did with Darcey Bussell in 2010. Katherine said, "I did a little dance when I was a child. I done a bit of Tap dancing. I did a show with a Prima Ballerina in the UK. But, I wasn't doing any ballet. I taught her to sing a little bit and she taught me to dance a little bit. That's all I've done. So, this is completely out of my comfort zone."

She's being modest. I rewatched the Viva la Diva dvd this week and Katherine had a couple really nice tap numbers with Darcey. Katherine mostly sings beautifully and (wisely) leaves the real dancing to Darcey and the other pros. It should help that Katherine worked recently with a professional choreographer.

I'd agree she's still basically a dance novice and at ballroom a total beginner. I'm really hoping she's going to impress everyone on dwts.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:32 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Uh, wow?!?

I expected Katherine to be good, but not that good. Holy moly, that was quite an adorable and charming, but still technically awesome Foxtrot. One of my favorite Foxtrots i've seen on this show.

She's simply stunning and adorable. Hope she does well with the Jive to gain fans. She's got my vote.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

That foxtrot was a great start for Katherine. If she does that well with the jive she'll gain fans quickly. She needs to because not that many people in the US are familiar with her.