Gladys Knight: Save the Dance Floor For Her

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

118 replies to this topic

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Gladys is indeed an inspiration. Bohemiam Rhapsody was a dumb song for a tango. Hopefully she'll get great music for next week. What are they dancing, jive?

catzy

catzy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

As much as I love the music of Gladys Knight & The Pips, I do NOT want to endure the desecration of that wonderful music by the horrible singers of DWTS. Also, the rhumba is my least favorite dance, so I hope Gladys doesn't have to perform it this season.

They have already done it. Apolo and Juliane danced a Rumba to Midnight Train to Georgia back in season 4.

Apolo and Julianne 2nd Rumba

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

I wonder how distracting it would be to perform to one of your own songs or a song that was literally part of your life? I know Chynna Phillips did, Chaz Bono to a song of Sonny's, and Kelly Osborne performed to one of her dad's songs. I liked Apolo and Julianne's rumba to 'Midnight Train' (even if the judges weren't crazy about it) and thought it very suitable for the dance, even in terms of the lyrics--- but I think it might be really hard for Gladys to dance to when that song is so much a part of her.

In the Bohemian Rhapsody tango, one of the judges (Carrie Anne?) commented that the song had so many different changes in the musical phrasing, and Gladys replied, 'Yes, it does,' very decidedly. Being who she is, she really notices things like that. For something like 'Midnight Train to Georgia', she would certainly have internalized every nuance, every tiny bit of phrasing, etc. If the band was 'off' in the performance of it (what are the odds???) that might prove a huge distraction for her, I would think.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

I think it (rumba to Midnight Train) would also excite the audience and probably give Gladys a boost in the vote, which I think the show does NOT want to do. I get the distinct impression they're trying to get rid of her. I even think maybe that's why they re-introduced the dance-off and made it last for 3 weeks, to be sure she doesn't reach the finals. It aggravates me, but I can't help but get that impression. Watch the dance-off be a jive, and I'll need blood pressure medicine because that's how they got rid of Nancy last year!

ETA I wish I could remember where I saw this, but I swear I remember seeing Karina say in an interview that she hoped she and Gavin would make it a few weeks because there would be a week when he could do his own song, and she had two in mind. (and I think this was after the 'best year of your life' week so I don't think she was referring to that but maybe I'm mistaken.) Anyway, if that's true, and Gavin can do his song one week, then why couldn't Gladys do Midnight Train to Georgia? She's one of the few people in the world with a song SO iconic associated with her. And for both her and Gavin, they could use a recording of their own voices because otherwise it would just be appalling.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:44 PM.

katdlf

katdlf

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:21 PM

I get the distinct impression they're trying to get rid of her. I even think maybe that's why they re-introduced the dance-off and made it last for 3 weeks, to be sure she doesn't reach the finals.

I think maybe you're over-personalizing this. It's true that the direct comparison dance-offs could hurt Gladys more than some other contestants, but it's a stretch to assume that's why they're having dance-offs. (Though it might feel that way if you're a Gladys fan.) It's more likely that they want to increase the likelihood of the best dancers--by their estimation--going further in the competition. They may also want to create "buzz" by trying something new and potentially controversial, under the cover of addressing past "gone too soon" controversies.

MadameL

MadameL

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

I don't think they've had artists dance to a recording of their own voice (or their father's voice or whomever) before, so I find it hard to imagine that they would allow Gladys (or Gavin--or Katherine, for that matter) to do this. I was thinking more for Gladys's own sake that it might be actually more difficult for her to dance to her own song--which she probably still performs every time she does a concert, since it's perhaps her signature song--than it would be for her to dance to anything else, given what we know the band is capable of doing.

I agree with katdlf that it's unlikely they instituted the dance off specifically to get rid of any particular celebrity. They may well be very surprised by the votes Gladys is pulling, along with the help of Tristan's not inconsiderable fan base. Hard to know for sure, but definitely enough to put their last place score higher than a contestant who got second place.

However, if the judges think this will address the 'gone too soon' cries, this could backfire on them in a couple of ways. Like a lot of people, I thought the dance-off started this week. If anyone is afraid of their favourite's chances, it is crucial to make sure he or she is not in the bottom two. This probably mobilized Gladys & Tristan's fan base even more (and probably also Gavin's fan base, which appears to be growing week by week). Stars with low dance score may have people voting for them in droves to keep them out of the bottom 2--even more than they would with no dance off. For someone like Gladys, who, much as I like and admire her, probably could not beat any other celebs in a dance-off, the prospect of the dance-off might be the very thing that keeps her from having to be in one, for a few weeks at least.

Also, this is certainly going to create a lot more bad feelings about favouritism, since these types of head to head dances (like the infamous winner-take-all cha cha a year a go) have a pre-determined outcome. For example, if Gladys came up against William in a dance-off, what are her chances? We've already seen that William can get 8s from the judges for a total mess of a routine, and Gladys gets an inexplicable 6 for a performance with no errors in it. Is there anything Gladys would be able to do, no matter how good, that would get her past William or Maria, for example, in a dance off?

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Watch the dance-off be a jive,

Some one said this 1st one will be a cha cha cha. I heard it during one of George what's his name's OTRC interviews after the results show. I remember thinking Oh! that might be a break for Gladys as she did so well with her week one Cha cha.

They may also want to create "buzz" by trying something new and potentially controversial, under the cover of addressing past "gone too soon" controversies.

Hee. Well they may create a "buzz" but it would be because they are going back to something they've done before - and it wasn't a success then. To be fair, last time they had a dance off the lowest 2 couples just redid their dances instead of having to have a completely new one ready - so that's a change.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

You're right, katdlf, it's probably not entirely Gladys-related - though part of it may have to do with keeping someone or more than one out of the final - Jaleel comes to mind, here. And I moved the rest of my conspiratorial thinking to the Grassy Knoll because it didn't belong here.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Gladys just confirmed via Twitter that they're doing the samba this week... I think this could be a really strong dance for her, especially if they so a slow, sensual samba la Kirstie and Maks.

Edited by Twickenham, Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:01 PM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

I hope we get to see Glady's brother Bubba bring some of those Pip moves to dwts. At least do a package with him in rehearsal showing Tristan how its done in Motown. The Pips dancing made Gladys Knight & the Pips superstars. Her voice and their moves were really special to see.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:55 PM.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Gladys was lovely, graceful, and fun on the dance floor tonight. I just finished my online voting, and threw her a bunch of votes.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Loved the samba rolls. Loved the personality. Damn - she was in Texas last night?? I'd love to have this lady's stamina...

To my great joy, I discovered tonight (contrary to other years I'ver tried) that yes, I CAN phone-vote from Canada. So I did. Just finished the online voting.

Dammit, we need to get Gladys to Motown week!

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:10 AM

DwtS S14 Week 5 Post-Performance Interview: Gladys Knight and Tristan MacManus : On The Red Carpet

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Ms. Knight is a lady in the best sense of the word. Such grace and fun combined with a seemingly innate sense of dignity is rare. Im sure shes lived through a lot and somehow shes profited from all her experiences. Shes truly a gift to all of us. Im glad I got to get to see a little bit of her as a person rather than just appreciating her voice.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

I found her just as slow and stiff this week as she was last. I like her, love her music and respect her accomplishments but she should have gone last week and she should go this week.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

The lady that helped build Motown will be dancing to classic Motown music. If I understood Tom correctly, live Motown artists will be personally singing for the dancers. So Gladys will be out there dancing as one of her friends sings just for her.

I don't see it as an advantage or anything. It's just going to be a little surreal for Gladys.

It would be really cool if Gladys did double duty. Dance with Tristan and then later sing one of her hits as part of the live Motown dance music.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:31 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

Especially if she dances to one of her own songs.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

It would be really cool if Gladys did double duty. Dance with Tristan and then later sing one of her hits as part of the live Motown dance music.

I understand why, but don't agree. Gladys is a *dancer* right now for the purpose of this competition, and that's what I want her to focus on. I remember when Barbra Streisand was asked if she was going to sing the theme song for the film Prince of Tides..her response? "I'm directing AND acting in it...that's enough!" Amen.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

I found her just as slow and stiff this week as she was last. I like her, love her music and respect her accomplishments but she should have gone last week and she should go this week.

I totally disagree. Given the song Gladys had to dance to last week, she not only did the best she could, she still did better than Sherri, who deserved to go IMO. As for this week, Gladys did better than Gavin, who also deserved to go. Gladys isn't the best dancer in the competition, but she's still one of the most fun to watch, therefore she should stay as long as possible, as far as I'm concerned.

Sugakates78

Sugakates78

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Do we know yet which dance Gladys and Tristan have this week? I hope she knocks it out of the park. I'm concerned about the double elimination, though.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

I don't think they will eliminate Gladys during Motown week. I think if there's a double elimination it will be Melissa and Jaleel. I think she will probably go the following week.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

From my standpoint, I'd rather have Gladys leave next week, because the week after is team dances, and I don't wanna see her become the "Susan Lucci" on someone's team.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

From my standpoint, I'd rather have Gladys leave next week, because the week after is team dances, and I don't wanna see her become the "Susan Lucci" on someone's team.

I honestly don't remember Susan Lucci in the team dances, but it got me thinking to last season and Nancy & Tristan... Nancy should have been the weak link for her team, but I thought she was actually pretty strong - their solo was simpler, but cleaner, than either David & Kym or JR & Karina.

Edited by Twickenham, Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:05 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I'd rather have her go out in style, than go out in a "man, that team got screwed by having Gladys on their team".

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Are we sure that team dances have to be in two weeks though? Maybe they'll skip or delay them this season because of the Dance Duel - doesn't it seem redundant to have Instant Dances and/or Marathon Dances when there's a Dance Duel every week? And IF they added a group dance or a team dance in the next three weeks, then each couple would have to learn THREE dances for that week. My guess is they're not doing group/team dances this season.

ETA: Oh and if Gladys' website is correct, she has no concerts THIS week - but the week after, she has concerts on Thurs., Fri., and Sat. - and the week after that, she has concerts the same three days. How could she fit in group/team dances along with her main dance plus the dance duel dance? The producers know her schedule - surely they wouldn't do that to her? They're the ones who assured her she could practice on tour with Tristan and only then did she agree to do DWTS.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:24 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

They have been doing team dances since season 7, so it's a safe bet. It'd be 2 dances yes, but for every other couple except Jaleel, they have that dance duel cha cha that they haven't done yet that is mostly learned so it's only been really 2 new dances.

I just really don't like when the older celebs go too far in the competition when better dancers are there. I don't like seeing them struggle with the stamina, or with the amount of dances they are told to learn. I know Gladys can handle it now, but it worries me when they get to 2 dances a week, if she survives next week.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

I think they're changing the Dance Duel dance every week. Last week was cha cha - but next week is jive. I wish they'd all just learned a cha cha; they could change the songs every week but leave the tempo the same. Oh well, I guess they think we'd get tired of watching cha chas. And I'm sure they think about which dance is likely to get rid of which celeb they're after.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

The only person who has excelled at Jive so far this season has been Katherine. The others either haven't done it or didn't do as well a her in it.

If Gladys ends up in that dance off, she's toast.

katdlf

katdlf

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I just saw Gladys on Entertainment Tonight commenting on Dick Clark's passing from the DWTS studio. Tristan was with her and they showed a brief second of them rehearsing what looked like a rumba. The episode should post online soon.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

I hope they do have the rumba. I think she'll do really well with it, she has nice musicality and she excels at Latin. Now I just want to know what song they've been assigned or chosen.

I just really don't like when the older celebs go too far in the competition when better dancers are there.

If she gets voted in by the public then she's entitled to be there, even if someone technically better goes home. That's the show. Jaleel and William are technically better (I guess) but I don't want them outlasting her. She's entertains me while I get no enjoyment from watching either of them. It's not all about technique, this isn't a Pro competition.