Gladys Knight: Save the Dance Floor For Her

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

118 replies to this topic

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

For my money, one of the contestants to watch is Gladys Knight. Not just because she's a musical icon, her partner is Tristan MacManus. If one of the songs they dance to is "Midnight Train To Georgia," that would be the icing on the cake. BTW, the thread title is a play on "Save the Overtime For Me," one of her biggest hits.

Say what you will about Gladys Knight here. Use your imagination.

Try Again

Try Again

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Well she has my family's vote lol. I think she will do well especially with the ballroom dances. Plus she has a great attitude and everyone loves Gladys lol.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

Love the title - was trying to figure out something with 'Heard it through the Grapevine' and it wasn't happening.

When I saw her announced - and knew she was Tristan's celeb after reading the spoilers - I freaked out!! Seriously big star for Tristan to get only his second season.

I just hope she can move, 'cause I want this team around for a while.

I think she will do well especially with the ballroom dances.

Agree. Hope that she and Tristan have a waltz first dance out, as I can really see her doing well with that.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

I see that some people were disappointed that Tristan got partnered with Gladys, but he should thank his lucky stars to be paired with a legend in his second season. Glady's Knight is a freaking legend and comes with a nostalgic fanbase. She's also only slightly overweight, so I don't think that will play a factor into anything. I've never seen the celeb panel stand for another contestant on announcement so that speaks to the respect factor she has in Hollywood. Tristan is lucky, IMO.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

She was the only surprise to hear this morning. We heard nothing about her dancing, so that was a surprise.

She is a legend. She has a following, so if she's not bad, she could be around a few weeks.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

I think what will help Tristan is Gladys seems to have a laid back personality which compared to Nancy is a GODSEND for him. I fear the Latin dances will give her some major problems but I think with just the way she carries her herself when she sings, I think she'll do well on the standard dances.

Jobo05

Jobo05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

So happy to see the legendary Gladys Knight announced. Happy also that she got paired with Tristan. She's certainly got the votes from this viewer. As for how she'll dance, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't think she'll be worse than her 'predecessor', so I'm also glad for Tristan; likability factor included.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:32 PM

I can't recall, is she as big a Diva as Diana Ross and Aretha? I know Tristan can easily teach anyone after his time with Nancy Grace. Gladys cut some sharp moves with the Pips forty years ago. I hope she still can do a few of them.

Gladys dancing a little with The Pips on Soul Train.

Edited by aceplace57, Feb 28, 2012 @ 4:40 PM.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

I hope she sings and sings and sings.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

I can't see her winning, but I think she could make the halfway point of the show.

She's one of the biggest stars they've ever gotten. No wonder she was the surprise contestant, no one knew about. ABC definitely wanted to keep her hidden till the announcement. Maybe she said she'd do it awhile ago but just signed this weekend to avoid it getting out.

If anyone wants to follow her on Twitter, it's @MsGladysKnight

Edited by PBGamer89, Feb 28, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

I can't recall, is she as big a Diva as Diana Ross and Aretha? I know Tristan can easily teach anyone after his time with Nancy Grace.

I have never heard of anyone in the industry or backstage reports of her being referred to as a Diva or someone difficult to work with. By all accounts, I have always heard the exact opposite. She seems very professional in her interactions from what I've observed of her over the years. She's the complete opposite of Nancy G. and Tristan was lucky to get paired with someone of her status, IMO. She's one of those entertainers that will always be relevant whether she has a record out ever again. Legend status.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

I have never heard of anyone in the industry or backstage reports of her being referred to as a Diva or someone difficult to work with. By all accounts, I have always heard the exact opposite. She seems very professional in her interactions from what I've observed of her over the years.

From the first paparazzi video footage we've gotten from the rehearsal studio, I'm getting the same vibe, Thirteenthjuror. She seems very warm and open. I think personality-wise, her and Tristan are much more alike.

Gladys Knight will be performing tomorrow in Austin at ACL Live. Perhaps she'll bring her new plucky Irish sidekick? ;)

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

She does seem so lovely. It's interesting - I was watching a recent video of Tristan for a charity he's doing (DublinDown330) to raise money for combatting HIV in Africa - anyway the woman making the video asks him if he wants his next partner to be sexy. He says what matters to him is that she's NICE. Other than that, he doesn't care who it is. Awwww. And in an interview, he said he loves music and anybody who loves music, knows Gladys Knight.

It was Radar Online and here's a brief excerpt:

ď...I didnít know who Nancy was last year but I am a huge music fan, I donít think there is anyone who says they like music and doesn't know Gladys Knight...
I am really buzzing about it, it is not every day you get to meet icons. Itís great to get someone from the entertainment industry who has had such an illustrious career and is still going. To be around someone for that many hours a day is such a bonus,Ē explained the 29-year-old from Bray in Irelandís County Wicklow..."

He also says he's a "big fan" of Gavin DeGraw and looking forward to "seeing how he is too." I wonder if Gavin is a fan of Gladys's too (and vice versa).

http://www.radaronli...ristan-macmanus

Edited by Elsa, Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:40 PM.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Gladys is singing at the half-time show at the Lakers-Pistons basketball game tonight in Detroit (starts at 7:30 pm eastern) for those in the area - or maybe it's on television in some places?

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

Katherine just tweeted that she has Foxtrot. So her, Martina, and Sherri have the Foxtrot so Gladys has the Cha Cha.

Personally, I think it's a good decision because if she had Foxtrot the first week, she'd have the Jive the second week.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Gladys Knight performs at the Detroit Pistons half-time show. Lots of dancers, but alas, no Irish ones... :)

I really hope it is the Cha-Cha that she has, as it seems to be setting up for. It's one of the easier dances, and from what I've seen of her the last week, I think she could really do well with this dance. Better than starting off with a more difficult ballroom dance in hold.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

It's not so much that i'm afraid she couldn't maintain a ballroom hold, just that if she had gotten Foxtrot, she would've had the Jive the following week.

I think she would be able to do a respectable Cha Cha though. She sure could sell it.

She won't win, but something is telling me around Week 4-6 elimination, which isn't bad at all.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

[url="http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/dancing-with-the-stars-rehearsal-extra-gladys-knight/5aqyj1t?from=en-us_msnhp&src=v5:endslate:related"play:related_0"]First video of Gladys & Tristan practicing the Cha Cha[/url].

It's very short, but I have to say, I'm really liking Gladys' foot placement - and the hips aren't bad either!

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

A video---yay! I thought her hip movement was really natural and rhythmic. Not stiff or forced. I like this, I really like this.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Coming back to this, I realized, looking at their clothing, that this was from the Tuesday of the cast announcement - their first rehearsal. If Gladys can move like that right off the bat? This bodes very well for their chances...

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

Good news is: her hip action is looking good.

Better news: Tristran doesn't seem he wants to go into the corner and bang his head against the wall (for now.) Her odds just shot up!

Jobo05

Jobo05

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:47 AM

Just seen the videos of her and Tristan up at Huffington Post and Extra. Gotta say, I'm loving this pairing even more than before. I think they can go really far, judging from their interaction and what they've shown of the rehearsals so far.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

Dancing with the Stars Preview 2012 - Gladys Knight Working Out with Tristan MacManus on the Road

"I'm doing pretty good. I'm kind of shocking myself, because I didn't know if I was going to be able to do this. I think a lot of it is due to my partner, Tristan (MacManus), and how he teaches and how patient he is."

Awww...

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I'm so glad they paired Gladys with Tristan. To read the comment about him being so patient with her is why. I would not be able to watch someone being rude towards her. Their first meeting and seeing how genuinely star struck Tristan was meeting her also sealed the deal for me.

I find it interesting that Louis said in a video that he and Gladys know each other very well and he was partially responsible for her appearing on the show. He seemed a little saddened that he was not the one paired with her. I do find it odd, but it solidifies my opinion that the PTB are grooming Tristan to take one of the permanent unspoken pro roles on the show, like; Derek, Mark, Cheryl, Tony and Maks. Sucks for Louis, but I think I like the idea of Gladys and Tristan much better than Louis and Gladys.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

I agree. I think Gladys with Louis or Tony (or Corky) would have been MUCH less fun (and more predictable and boring.)

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

Gladys, GO! You were tremendous tonight. Full of life and shake that body.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

She did so awesome! And loved how Maria was fangirling over her when they hugged!

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:59 PM

So much fun and so much rhythm. I couldn't help but smile watching her dance out there tonight.

Thirteenthjuror

Thirteenthjuror

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

I agree. I think Gladys with Louis or Tony (or Corky) would have been MUCH less fun (and more predictable and boring.)

Tony would have been too boring and given her old lady choreography. Gladys showed tonight that she has no desire to be a careful and guarded dancer like Tony unfortunately treats his celebs like. She's way too dynamic and showy for that. Louis would have tried his infomercial let me help you routine/act, when Gladys doesn't need a damn bit of help in any area. I think that predictable schtick is what finally bored the producers and audience with his last couple partnerships.

Dear Lord, Corky?!! That would have been an insult to Gladys sensibilities. No way would they have subjected their legend to him. I think Corky is used by request only. The thought that women are requesting him is perplexing to me.

superpole2000

superpole2000

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

What a delight! Good song, good partner, good dancing, and most importantly, a GREAT attitude.