Jaleel White: Did I Do That?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

106 replies to this topic

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:49 AM

I love Jaleel as a performer but as a celeb personality he keeps shooting himself in the foot in terms of likeability. He doesn't seem to have any awareness of social psychology when it comes to how he will be perceived. He keeps pretending to be more in-demand than he is: "My mother forced me to do this show." "Some women insisted I do my interview like this [with his vest unbuttoned]." It just comes off as disingenuous and as insecurity couched in cockiness.

Edited by anonymiss, Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:51 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

A lot of child stars have this same problem. Feeling like they have to fight to remain relevant and a serious case of word vomit.

Former Nun

Former Nun

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

I love Jaleel as a performer but as a celeb personality he keeps shooting himself in the foot in terms of likeability. He doesn't seem to have any awareness of social psychology when it comes to how he will be perceived. He keeps pretending to be more in-demand than he is: "My mother forced me to do this show." "Some women insisted I do my interview like this [with his vest unbuttoned]." It just comes off as disingenuous and as insecurity couched in cockiness.

A lot of child stars have this same problem. Feeling like they have to fight to remain relevant and a serious case of word vomit.

Jaleel White gives me a different impression. He was a well-liked child star. With a high degree of success, he went to college...probably with plenty of bucks to spend...and more "yes men" in his circle. He may think he's projecting an air of wealth, talent, and sophistication. It comes off as superiority, entitlement, and conceit.

Edited by Former Nun, Apr 20, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:24 AM

DwtS S14 Week 6 Post-Performance Interview: Jaleel White and Kym Johnson
On The Red Carpet

If they survive elimination, Jaleel will be dancing the Viennese Waltz next week.

Edited by ByTheWay, Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:25 AM.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

Well, he and Kym danced that dance and that's all I want to see. Just dance and they did... She seemed really at ease and very proud of him and he didn't stop praising her.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

I think that he looked happy, truly happy, for the first time since the first show. He looked comfortable and as if he was actually enjoying the dance he'd been given without any obvious stress. Maybe it was the music that helped, but it was nice to see his true dancing talent re-emerge and he and Kym were a joy to watch last night.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

OMG I saw shades of the Urkel dance and just that fun-loving, pure happiness CPP83 describes above.

I so enjoyed it and am really proud of him and Kym for working out a great chemistry together.

I really hope he gets to the finals. His brand of performance ability and quieter sex appeal is much preferable to me than William Levy's overt and gratuitous brawny strip-shows.

Edited by anonymiss, Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Another interview where Jaleel proves he should stop talking:

White also commented on the current boom of reality TV shows. "I'm not the biggest fan of reality TV because people at home don't realize it's not reality. They're still telling stories, they're still manipulating the stories. I think it's bad for society, personally," he said. "I don't watch none of that, and it will be blocked. My daughter won't be watching it either. "

Manipulative, sure, but bad for society?! Why is he still on this show? If he thinks reality tv is so bad for society he shouldn't contribute to it at all. That's just a ridiculous statement.

The irony is that this reality show chose not to show Jaleel's fight with Kym, which is probably his worst moment. To the extent that producers have used manipulation with Jaleel, they've made him look better, not worse. Also the crying over Stefan and mickey mouse was live and all him.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

Kym says there was no fight. And I think DWTS is different from the reality shows he says he doesn't like.

I certainly agree with him on some reality shows.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:06 AM.

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

rulesoftravel, I can't disagree with you. DWTS is much different than the garden-variety "reality" show which is peopled by pseudo-celebs paid to act outrageously (although I'm not a fan when DWTS stoops to shock casting either). And while Jaleel is not my favorite celeb, I think he is getting a bit of a raw deal. If Kym says there was no fight, I believe her -- she's not that good of an actress.

White also commented on the current boom of reality TV shows. "I'm not the biggest fan of reality TV because people at home don't realize it's not reality. They're still telling stories, they're still manipulating the stories. I think it's bad for society, personally," he said. "I don't watch none of that, and it will be blocked. My daughter won't be watching it either. "

I don't see anything wrong with this quote. Paris Hilton, the Kardashians, Real Housewives (of ANYWHERE) ... the list goes on and on. So yeah, I think idolizing people famous for nothing more than being famous or acting out is bad for society as well. Nothing I can do about it ... but I don't have to like the trend or how tweens and teens emulate it.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:58 AM

DwtS S14 Week 7 Post-Performance Interview: Jaleel White and Kym Johnson
On The Red Carpet

SD Dude

SD Dude

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

I'm not sure if it is a story created by producers or if this is something significant regarding Jaleel, but there does seem to be a repeated focus with him putting his hands where they don't belong. Of course, the first incident that aired with him putting his hand square on Kym's ass after their performance and her quickly removing it happened during the live show and could not have been edited/scripted. The incident that happened last night during the rehearsal footage is a different story entirely. His arm coming around to touch her breast might have been completely unintentional, but the producers choosing to include that footage certainly was not and seems to serve toward creating a pattern of behavior for him. She was her usual gracious self as she gently but demonstratively removed his hand from her chest, and as he sputtered some embarrassed excuse, she simply said, "Reeeaaallly?" in a tone that sounded just slightly more exasperated than she probably would have wanted it to. Makes me wonder what she would have said if the camera wasn't there. . .

As I noted, the producers are well aware about all the scuttle. . um . .butt in the electronic media and probably figured that forgettable incident in rehearsal was gold and couldn't wait to include it to continue to build the case that Jaleel is a creep. Who really knows? On the other hand, I may be looking for a conspiracy where there is none. Perhaps the producers just decided to include it as one of those awkward embarrassing moments that will happen when a couple is dancing together, like Catherine kicking Mark in the nuts, and so on.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Jaleel made up some of the ground he lost with me with that Len comment ("...like the old man outside the candy store...").

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:14 AM

DwtS S14 Week 7 Post-Results Interviews: Jaleel White and Kym Johnson
On The Red Carpet
Access Hollywood

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I saw this on another board - and normally wouldn't pay any attention, but I think we have pretty good confirmation that he went off on Kym and Mark intervened (Tony interviewed Mark and specifically mentioned Mark 'sticking up' for his fellow pro, and Mark didn't deny it, at that point.) Anyway here's the post I found:

"I heard Jaleel had a major backstage meltdown rage-o-thon last night after getting kicked off. The word (c word) was used often. Anyone hear anything?"

I did notice that Jaleel seemed to be searching for positive things to say - mentioned the other couples there - but seemed to go out of his way to NOT saying anything grateful or complimentary about Kym.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

I wouldn't take rumors of a new fight as proof for the old fight. I've always believed some sort of a fight happened a few weeks back, but I'm not believing there was any sort of meltdown last night just yet.

I saw Jaleel and Kym on Jimmy Kimmel last night. Jimmy brought up the Micky Mouse thing and asked some good questions. Jeleel was actually a good sport. Kym was all smiles too, but it may have helped that David A. was there. If there was a meltdown yesterday, I would think Kym wouldn't have been so smilely sitting next to the guy. It was a really nice interview and a good note for Jaleel to go out on.

Overall, I go back and forth on Jaleel. He has some moments of genuine charm and others where he seems like a huge jerk.

Idiotboy

Idiotboy

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

I'm going with "huge jerk" from here to Kingdom Come. The only contestant who could make me root for Roshon.