Jaleel White: Did I Do That?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

106 replies to this topic

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:20 PM

I think he's deleted it now - but Jaleel retweeted a really nasty Tweet from someone else that had to do with Kym zipping up Jaleel's pants - I guess because he thought it was funny, but I think it was extremely disrespectful of Kym. I'm really disgusted with this guy and I can't wait until he's GONE from the show.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 7, 2012 @ 6:21 PM.

bannana

bannana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

"We definitely had a disagreement last week," he explained. "But our disagreement was over some of the choreography because she didn't understand who Stefan Urquell was."

Stefan Urquell, as Family Matters fans know, is nerdy neighbor Steve Urkel's cool alter ego. DWTS contestants were asked to create dances this week inspired by their most memorable year, and White chose his transformation from the teen nerd to the confident playboy as his.

He's cray cray! He tweeted something about "cool" people the day of the show too. And he said that weird stuff to Kym and America in the on camera stroll, about something related to this. I still honestly don't understand what he is talking about, and never watched the show he was on, but it sounds like he is obsessed with this alter ego character of his. And apparently he didn't know people would be paying attention to him while on this DWTS. Of course, isn't that the point, that has beens and wannabes are looking for this attention? There is something very wrong with this guy and it can only get worse from here on in. The producers are going to be shadowing him like crazy I would think, just in case.

But let's just think about his statement above. They had a disagreement (aka fight) because Kym didn't understand Stefan Urquell. Hmmm....what does that even mean? The thing this confirms for me is that his ego is so large, there is no way he can get through the rehearsals with Kym going forward.

Thanks to all who searched out the interviews and posted.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I think he can't admit he was wrong (about blowing up at Kym for saying 'ouch' or whatever it was that happened.) So he's searching around for something (or someone) else to blame. Which is why he blew up at her in the first place - probably trying to blame her for his having made a mistake and stepping on her foot or for having trouble learning the dance or his ex-girlfriend bringing up old stuff that makes him look bad - who knows? He's projecting his shame because he can't bear it.

It can't be his fault so it has to be YOUR fault, whether it's Kym for being an "idiot" and this b.s. about her not understanding the glory that was Urkel (yeah right - what could that have to do with a rumba?) - or whether it's the producers for giving him such a rotten partner - or whether it's the paparazzi in the parking lot - or whether it's Mark for butting in like an annoying sitcom neighbor... You could tell he was searching around for "excuses" during his ramblings up there with Brooke - completely incoherent and off the point and trying to summon tears but they wouldn't come. And that weird stuff about his guy pals who love him so much - see, they adore him, that means he's perfect, dammit!

You can set your watch by it - he'll be casting that blame on something or somebody else soon. Anybody "normal" would admit he lost his temper and he's sorry, and move on. But he has to run from any suggestion that he, the magnificent creator of Urkel, has made a mistake or has any flaws.

Edited by Elsa, Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:07 PM.

danceteach

danceteach

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

Seems like the show is a magnet for men who disrespect ladies occasionally-----Maks, Val, Mark, Chris Brown (snicker) and Jaleel :((

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:45 AM

When I was a kid I didn't like Steve Urkel but now I recognize his brilliance. Amazing performance from Jaleel.

It's good to see him back on TV and I hope this rumour and other things of that nature don''t hurt his success on the show because he is a pleasure to watch.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

...Steve Urkel but now I recognize his brilliance.

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump is brilliant. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman is brilliant. Meryl Streep in- well, anything- is brilliant. Jaleel White was a very cute little kid who was able to turn a catch phrase written by someone else into some level of success for a few years. He has done nothing of note in the acting world since then, which says a lot about his 'talent.' There is nothing about him that is brilliant, IMO, including the pathetic way he is talking himself into deeper shit everytime he opens his mouth about whatever happened between he & Kym. His belief that the characters of Urkel & Stefan are somehow seminal moments in TV history, & that he is worthy of high esteem/'A' list status is borderline delusional, IMO.

I'm totally on board the 'Free Kym' train.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I'm not sure about the extent of the animosity between Kym and Jaleel. I don't think it is as bad as that report made it out to be (mostly due to how very fake the dialogue in that sounded), but from the first episode, when he went on about her having a crazy eye, I got an uncomfortable feeling watching them.

Some people just take themselves too seriously for this type of show.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

• Interests:TV: Breaking Bad ...

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Jaleel White was a very cute little kid who was able to turn a catch phrase written by someone else into some level of success for a few years.

I have to wonder how much of the show you're seen if you're reducing his performance over 10, 11 or however very many seasons to simply a catch-phrase. There are a lot of "cute kids" but they don't have the talent of timing, instincts, and physical comedy he displayed.

And IIRC, they stopped using the catch-phrase at some point throughout the course of the very long, very successful run they had.

Edited by anonymiss, Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:40 PM.

Gardencrown

Gardencrown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

I have to wonder how much of the show you're seen if you're reducing his performance over 10, 11 or however very many seasons to simply a catch-phrase.

His show was on for 10 or 11 seasons? Who knew? It's like Mash or Cheers. At 22 shows per season, 30 minutes per show...holy god that's a lot of Jaleel White.

On another note, I hope that someone links the GMA appearance since I have to work, and I'm too lazy to set my DVR.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Family Matters ran for 9 seasons.

As far as the GMA piece this morning, it didnít deliver what was promised. It was just a couple of minutes. Jaleel talked about his ex, his love of food, and Kym talked about her love of cupcakes and Jaleeís 6-pack abs.

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

Jaleel's IMDB Link

He has played the same character (Steven "Steve" Urkel) in four different television series: "Full House" (1987), "Family Matters" (1989), "Step by Step" (1991) and "Meego" (1997).

He will be hosting a TV Series "Total Blackout" this year which is currently in "Pre-Production".

Edited by ImSoDizzy, Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:59 PM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:34 AM

(OTRC) DwtS S14 Week 4 Post-Performance Interview: Jaleel White and Kym Johnson

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

They seem to be getting along fine. And the dancing is wonderful.

I also think the "crazy eye" comment was a joke like when someone gives you the "evil eye" because you're not doing it right. I think he simply used the "crazy eye" instead. But then I really like the dancing. Just dance.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 4:27 AM

DwtS S14 Week 4 Post-Results Interviews: Jaleel White and Kym Johnson
On The Red Carpet
Access Hollywood

Next week Jaleel and Kym are dancing the Samba.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

I also think the "crazy eye" comment was a joke like when someone gives you the "evil eye" because you're not doing it right. I think he simply used the "crazy eye" instead

I think you're right. At least that's what it sounded like to me.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I can't analyze body language or try to interpret partner's connections or lack of connections, because I'm getting highly edited snippets of hours and days of rehearsals. I just love watching those pros make their celebs dance. It's a dance show. Just a dance show.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:33 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Most of his comments lately are just so cringeworthy. The "nudity" thing was beyond awkward. Not to mention all the crocodile tears from last week.

I really hope he goes soon. I really feel bad for Kym. She can pretend to enjoy him all she wants but I ain't buying it. She's acting around him like she did with DAG and she wasn't exactly having the best time with him either.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:40 PM

Most of his comments lately are just so cringeworthy. The "nudity" thing was beyond awkward.

It was beyond awkward, alright- it was grossly inappropriate, IMO. Free Kym!

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

The "nudity" remark was a joke after the Hough team said he'd be pantless. It's odd that every word he says is being parsed as if this were actually important. JMO.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

The "nudity" remark was a joke after the Hough team said he'd be pantless

I laughed when he said it. Derek and William are offereing to take off articles of clothing, so Jaleel might as well joke about it also.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:19 PM

I wonder if Jaleel is pretty much safe the next few weeks because of the dance off. The judges seen to love him, don't know why.

Then again, who knows. Depends on who he is up against.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

I laughed when he said it. Derek and William are offering to take off articles of clothing, so Jaleel might as well joke about it also.

Exactly. I liked that he said it as if a question mark was after the word. But I'm not a word parser unless it's my husband...

It seems more like Cheryl is offering to take off William's clothing.

It really was a stupid question by Brooke.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 12, 2012 @ 9:32 AM.

popcorn

popcorn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

I wonder if Jaleel is pretty much safe the next few weeks because of the dance off. The judges seen to love him, don't know why.

Then again, who knows. Depends on who he is up against.

I'd say it's a 50/50 shot depending on who he's against. He isn't that consistent. If he was against Melissa, Gavin (unless he continues to improve) or Gladys (that would kill the judges, but they wouldn't be able to justify picking her) then he should be safe. Against Donald or Katherine he would go. I think the judges would pick Maria and Roshon over him and probably pick him over William.

Edited by popcorn, Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:31 PM.

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

The "nudity" remark was a joke after the Hough team said he'd be pantless
I laughed when he said it. Derek and William are offereing to take off articles of clothing, so Jaleel might as well joke about it also.

I didn't hear anyone else make remarks about removing clothing. If that is true, then I retract my statement, as it is obvious Jaleel was just trying to join in the joking.

He still creeps me out. Free Kym!

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

I didn't hear anyone else make remarks about removing clothing. If that is true, then I retract my statement, as it is obvious Jaleel was just trying to join in the joking.

Derek mentioned going pantless or taking his pants off right before Jaleel was asked.

Of course, all these answers were to Brooke's stupid question.

Edited by TryingHarder, Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:25 PM.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

DwtS S14 Week 5 Post-Performance Interview: Jaleel White and Kym Johnson : On The Red Carpet

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Jaleel and Kym seemed quite comfortable tonight, she seemed quite comfortable telling him to take his shirt off in the confessional, also when they were walking down the stairs she took his hand and placed it around her waist.

kazou

kazou

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

rulesoftravel: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. I can't analyze body language or try to interpret partner's connections or lack of connections, because I'm getting highly edited snippets of hours and days of rehearsals. I just love watching those pros make their celebs dance. It's a dance show. Just a dance show.

This.

I posted about this in last night's performance thread but wanted to reiterate on this thread since it's the topic dujour.

Re the whole "butt-gate" brouhaha, have to say I am not a Jaleel fan but after reading all the comments, I think he's getting a bum rap (ha, no pun intended) on this one. I watched it in slo-mo and yes, Jaleel put his palm on her booty and she removed it but both were laughing at the time. I got the idea it was an accidental gaffe and he said something like "oops" and she laughed while removing his hand. I don't think she took offense, although she definitely helped take his hand away. YMMV but check it out on slo-mo ... she's smiling through the whole thing.

I love Kym and she's one of my favorite pros. I also think Jaleel is a bit of a jerk. There's something off-putting about his personality to me. However, regardless of what was rumored to have gone on between these two, she appears to be very huggy towards him now, initiating LOTS of contact and frankly, I think with Kym, what you see is what you get. I remember how palpably uncomfortable she was with David Allen Greer (his jokes, his attitude with the judges) and her frozen smile. She's so darn sweet. She probably doesn't looooove Jaleel, but I think they've made their peace with whatever went on.

Barbie Doll

Barbie Doll

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

I think "butt-gate" was accidental and that Jaleel may have been feeling anxious. I remember during an interview with Brooke 2 weeks ago, he first put an arm around her then immediately realized his arm should be around Kym. When you're nervous, sometimes it's hard to know what to do with yourself. You're in in the zone of performing your dance, and boom, you have to gracefully stop and smile and everything moves really fast.

Edited by Barbie Doll, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:12 PM.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

I think Kym and Jaleel get along just fine. I see nothing from Kym that indicates any discomfort or dislike on her part. I think they have a pretty good professional relationship and they seem like they've become friends, at least they like one another. He makes her laugh and smile and I don't see any of that as forced or her playing it up for the cameras either.

What I think is Jaleel's problem, voting wise that is, is that those who like him may also like Miss. G, Roshon, William, Katherine, etc, and when you start dividing your votes someone is going to lose out in the end. Roshon being in the bottom last week may have scared a lot of fans of both Jaleel and Roshon who gave most, if not all their votes, to Roshon in hopes of saving him, which meant Jaleel would be in the bottom this time around. I think he has plenty of fans but I also think he shares them with the other dancers so it's a toss up on who may or may not be in the bottom at this point. I also think he may fell under the assumption that he will be automatically safe and not in danger so he gets less votes than some of the others.

Personally, I also wish Kym's choreography was coming across a little better. I feel as if she is giving him, at times, too much to do out there, as if she is overworking their routines and it shows. She even said so herself that he picks up the steps so quickly it scares her into thinking she hasn't made the dance hard enough. I think if she gave him less content, but the same quality of dance, his dances would look much more polished and appeasing to the audience. Some times less is more, and in Jaleel's case I think that goes double, including his mouth, heh.